Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

FYP..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

GLOVIS CENTURY is on the move again! Next stop Port Said in Egypt. It's due on the 8th of February.

Dozz wrote: »
    Yes. It's just that Tesla has years of info on the Li batteries and therefore it has a proven track record. Not sure on this battery pack.
    I wish I never started to research the car at all to be honest......
    Do most ev's use Li batteries now a days?
    LFP only in the SR+ so only worth thinking about if you’re getting that model. LR and P still using NCA for now

It doesn't matter what better tech is in the M3 or any other EV, if the battery is cold it will suffer slower charge times and acceleration with less regen, you can't overcome the physics related to internal resistance unless the battery is heated before a fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It doesn't matter what better tech is in the M3 or any other EV, if the battery is cold it will suffer slower charge times and acceleration with less regen, you can't overcome the physics related to internal resistance unless the battery is heated before a fast charge.

From what I dimly remember of a Bjorn video, there seems to be something particularly problematic with combining heat pump and LFP, whereby too much heat was being scavenged from the battery, leaving it excessively cold.

This has been sort of fixed in an OTA update by changing the way the heat is distributed whilst driving, to the point where it's only an issue when the car is left for long periods in the cold at low SOC. So if you have a home charger it's a non-issue, and also a non-issue except in the absolutely coldest of Irish weather.

For me the benefits of LFP (specifically the fact that it's happier sitting at high SOC) would outweigh the downsides, particularly if you only have SR+ range (since you really want to be able to charge to 100% regularly).

I welcome correction by someone who has bothered to remember the details.

So i got the following from Tesla:
    Yes this is correct, so it is just an estimate at the moment and can be subject to change. However you will find out in the next week or so what your confirmed collection date is going to be. If the date does fall into march, then the text is just to confirm that has long as we have payment etc in February, we will register the car in February so you aren’t effected by the VAT changes which are taking place on the 1st March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Lumen wrote: »
    From what I dimly remember of a Bjorn video, there seems to be something particularly problematic with combining heat pump and LFP, whereby too much heat was being scavenged from the battery, leaving it excessively cold.

This has been sort of fixed in an OTA update by changing the way the heat is distributed whilst driving, to the point where it's only an issue when the car is left for long periods in the cold at low SOC. So if you have a home charger it's a non-issue, and also a non-issue except in the absolutely coldest of Irish weather.

For me the benefits of LFP (specifically the fact that it's happier sitting at high SOC) would outweigh the downsides, particularly if you only have SR+ range (since you really want to be able to charge to 100% regularly).

Can you link to that video please?
    I thought Bjorn was driving a Long Range 2021 refresh. If so that wouldn't have the LFP batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

Has anyone with a order for M3P received a VIN or confirmation text?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I thought Bjorn was driving a Long Range 2021 refresh. If so that wouldn't have the LFP batteries.

Ah, OK. I checked and it was the M3P, not SR+. Sorry for the misinformation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGR6X5Wfhc

The 2021 M3P, SR+ and LR all have different batteries. But...

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He was, and it wasnt a MIC model.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

rg_lv wrote: »
    Has anyone with a order for M3P received a VIN or confirmation text?

Most of the next batch SR+ lads on here have got their VIN.

I emailed them for mine

The P looks to be delayed till May so no VINs yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

GLOVIS CENTURY is on the move again! Next stop Port Said in Egypt. It's due on the 8th of February.

Looks like I'm not the only one with Vessel finder on their phone.

Ah, OK. I checked and it was the M3P, not SR+. Sorry for the misinformation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGR6X5Wfhc

The 2021 M3P, SR+ and LR all have different batteries. But...

image.png

I suppose the other way to look at it is that all SR+ models coming into Ireland from now on will have the LFP batteries and will therefore will be the majority available on the second hand market irrespective of battery performance

I never said there was a disadvantage to LiFeP04 except maybe weight but no matter what car if the battery isn't heated when you go to charge at a fast charger it's going to take a lot longer to charge, tesla has an advantage in that it can heat the battery plugged into the mains or not when preheat is activated but if the battery is cold it's going to charge slow if you happen to get in and don't have the time to warm it up enough.

The other side of that it would be nice not to heat the battery and waste energy if you're just doing a boring commute home and don't or can't rally the car home so you don't need the acceleration power and regen isn't important as you're mostly on fast roads.

I never said there was a disadvantage to LiFeP04 except maybe weight but no matter what car if the battery isn't heated when you go to charge at a fast charger it's going to take a lot longer to charge, tesla has an advantage in that it can heat the battery plugged into the mains or not when preheat is activated but if the battery is cold it's going to charge slow if you happen to get in and don't have the time to warm it up enough.

The other side of that it would be nice not to heat the battery and waste energy if you're just doing a boring commute home and don't or can't rally the car home so you don't need the acceleration power and regen isn't important as you're mostly on fast roads.

From what I can gather though, is that all being equal (battery preheated before fast charging and at the same outside tempratures) the LFP batteries do not charge as fast as the Lithium batteries.
    Hopefully they are throttled back, and as Tesla gather information on the pack, they will eventually get to similar speeds.

Same! I’ve done the same! Sold my car this week as was told end of February!

I’ve not got a text tho!

EDIT: Tesla Chat have confirmed that my car should be the end of February... So I don't know!

Saw you got no text either so thought I'd share.

I was on to them this morning and they confirmed that I was in fact sent a text at 5:12PM yesterday - they sent me the details showing it sent on the system. However nothing ever arrived to my phone.

They said they've had problems in the past with certain providers blocking the messages in Ireland so could be the same issue for you.

Strange thing is that I did get texts from them in the past about the SEAI grant form and stuff, so hopefully just a once off.

Saw you got no text either so thought I'd share.

I was on to them this morning and they confirmed that I was in fact sent a text at 5:12PM yesterday - they sent me the details showing it sent on the system. However nothing ever arrived to my phone.

They said they've had problems in the past with certain providers blocking the messages in Ireland so could be the same issue for you.

Strange thing is that I did get texts from them in the past about the SEAI grant form and stuff, so hopefully just a once off.

I actually got the text this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I ordered in January 2020 and collected in March 2020. :D

March 5th - 15th sounds about right as my original collection date was March 6th, and then in pushed to March 13th..

U sicken me with your prompt delivery timelines :D

To be honest I just loved the insane lengths people went to take pictures of RHD Model 3's in various ports around the world...and people getting generally upset when a ship was 2 days late getting through the Panama Canal!

:D

From what I can gather though, is that all being equal (battery preheated before fast charging and at the same outside tempratures) the LFP batteries do not charge as fast as the Lithium batteries.
    Hopefully they are throttled back, and as Tesla gather information on the pack, they will eventually get to similar speeds.

"same as outside temps" ? batteries need to be around 20 Deg C for at least 50 Kw, Teslas seem to need 40 odd degrees for 150+ Kw, remains to be seen about the LiFeP04 battery, probably depends on the internal resistance because the cold increases this resistance restricting the flow of electrons.

The LiFeP04 battery should have unreal battery life though, 1000 Cycles at 100 DOD to 70% is usually the case with that chemistry and if there's a buffer top and bottom this could be 1500 cycles compared to maybe 500 cycles at 100 DOD for most other chemistries.

It's great to see Tesla use LiFeP04, it's been around years and well proven.

Anyone have any recommendations for specific charging cards or accounts to use public chargers?

Heard of a few before like plugshare and chargepoint but dunno which are still going and the best value now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone have any recommendations for specific charging cards or accounts to use public chargers?

Heard of a few before like plugshare and chargepoint but dunno which are still going and the best value now.

They are simply apps that point you to the chargers.

Here in Ireland, ESB eCars, easygo and ionity.

Me personally I have a ready to go account with eCars. Put €20 on it and haven’t touched it. I have easygo free account for the Lidl chargers. That’s it.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    They are simply apps that point you to the chargers.

Here in Ireland, ESB eCars, easygo and ionity.

Me personally I have a ready to go account with eCars. Put €20 on it and haven’t touched it. I have easygo free account for the Lidl chargers. That’s it.

Ah ok cheers, I thought I heard before that you could get preferential rates at Ionity through plugshare etc but maybe that was outside of Ireland.

Cheers for the info.

Ah ok cheers, I thought I heard before that you could get preferential rates at Ionity through plugshare etc but maybe that was outside of Ireland.

Cheers for the info.

So I've gone with ESB Cars, Easygo, Plugsurfing & Maingau. Ive ordered the cards so I can just leave them in the car. If my phone is dead or broken I have options.

Maingau gives you 0.75 on Ionity.

So I've gone with ESB Cars, Easygo, Plugsurfing & Maingau. Ive ordered the cards so I can just leave them in the car. If my phone is dead or broken I have options.

Maingau gives you 0.75 on Ionity.

Chargepoint is 0.64 with Ionity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ESB eCars - PayG and stick €20-€30 into the account (app & card)
    EasyGo - PayG account (for free Lidl) - no cash lodged in account (app only).
    Maingau - (for Ionity) No payment details submitted (app & card) - never used Ionity yet.

PlugShare for finding all public & destination (Tesla) chargers - great for pictures of the chargers as well as the reassurance of recent check in’s reporting charger status.
    ABRP - haven’t used it yet for any long trips. But have fiddled around with it and it’s a very useful planning tool. (Free version)

Just realised I have a ChargePoint app and account, so have moved it to page 1 of my EV apps!! €0.64 is better then €0.75!!
    I might need a few quick top ups in Cashel in the coming weeks, so would use Ionity of eCars are busy!!

ESB eCars - PayG and stick €20-€30 into the account (app & card)
    EasyGo - PayG account (for free Lidl) - no cash lodged in account (app only).
    Maingau - (for Ionity) No payment details submitted (app & card) - never used Ionity yet.

PlugShare for finding all public & destination (Tesla) chargers - great for pictures of the chargers as well as the reassurance of recent check in’s reporting charger status.
    ABRP - haven’t used it yet for any long trips. But have fiddled around with it and it’s a very useful planning tool. (Free version)

Just realised I have a ChargePoint app and account, so have moved it to page 1 of my EV apps!! €0.64 is better then €0.75!!
    I might need a few quick top ups in Cashel in the coming weeks, so would use Ionity of eCars are busy!!

Just signed up to Chargepoint there! thanks for that :)

What's everyone using as a phone holder for the model 3? Looking for something that mounts maybe to the side of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Aph2016 wrote: »
    What's everyone using as a phone holder for the model 3? Looking for something that mounts maybe to the side of the screen.

Don't plan on using anything . You can see it from the wireless charge mat and control it with voice commands and bluetooth

J-W wrote: »
    Don't plan on using anything . You can see it from the wireless charge mat and control it with voice commands and bluetooth

Yeah same plan here

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pro tip for anyone that will be using the ESB eCars charging network regularly.... (and to avoid illegally using your phone while driving).

Save eCars as a favourite on the cars web browser, so that when you need a charge, or are approaching a charger, you can open the web browser, select eCars from the favourites list, then when it loads it will ask you to allow it to use your location, and once you allow this it will open the map on your general location, so you can check the status of the surrounding eCars chargers to see if they are available/broken etc...

Also, for those getting an SR+, you'll have a 30 day trial of premium connectivity, giving you google map view, live traffic, and streaming of music/video over cellular connection (you can use your phone as a hotspot for streaming music/video, but you need to re-connect it to the car every time you get out of the car and back in, so its a pain in the hole).

Google Map View: its a nice to have, but when we lost it (our trial lasted about 2+ months) we missed it a lot.

Live Traffic: didn't think much at the beginning, but it's brilliant for re-routing you around traffic hotspots (you can also spot the checkpoints well in advance just by looking at the map).

Streaming: Definitely the best part of premium connectivity. We listen to TuneIn (Irish & foreign radio stations)(Irish stations sound a lot clearer on TuneIn over FM). We'd also listen to Spotify the odd time (using the Tesla account), and for the entire month of December were listening to a Spotify Christmas playlist that had about 40 or so great songs on it (so nice not listening to the news for a month). Youtube is youtube, so you know what you get (but will see ads in Dutch as the phone's sim card is Dutch). Netflix - absolutely brilliant to have in the car while charging/waiting for something...

Web Browser: handy for various reasons like the above, plus many many more.....

In my opinion, Premium Connectivity is well worth the €9.99 per month (or €0.33 per day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Worth noting that having or not having premium connectivity does not change the navigation (the car will still navigate around traffic hotspots, but without premium connectivity you wont see why!)

Advertisement