Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Dozz wrote: »
    I suppose its my first electric car and I don't want to end up with a lemon. Hopefully it's a non issue but would be so much simpler if it was the normal batteries

Would you worry about the lower number of charge cycles in lipo batteries or the higher risk of Thermal expansion which is why you shouldn't charge to 100% and not drive straight away.

Both batteries are good and perfectly fine for their role. Both have compromises in different ways like all different batteries

Boscoirl wrote: »
    my biggest issue would be the reported cost savings to Tesla is not being reflected in the current Irish price

Ha this is nothing .Wait for the next M3 refresh. Mega casting and battery pack part of the structure. People will still be tripping over themselves to buy it. These things are only an improvement for Tesla. Sure a weight reduction is good. But basically any crash and your car is written off. People will still insist it's an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

J-W wrote: »
    Would you worry about the lower number of charge cycles in lipo batteries or the higher risk of Thermal expansion which is why you shouldn't charge to 100% and not drive straight away.

Both batteries are good and perfectly fine for their role. Both have compromises in different ways like all different batteries

No I wouldn't to be honest (rightly or wrongly) as Tesla have been gathering info on the battery packs for years.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    my biggest issue would be the reported cost savings to Tesla is not being reflected in the current Irish price

That too.

No I wouldn't to be honest (rightly or wrongly) as Tesla have been gathering info on the battery packs for years.

So you wouldn't take the new 4680 cells if offered as there's no trend history ?

• Advertisement

So you wouldn't take the new 4680 cells if offered as there's no trend history ?

I don't know J-W. I haven't done any research on them to be honest.
    At the minute I am only concerned with what I will be getting in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This level of anxiety is completely normal.

Inspect the car as best you can on collection, get any faults fixed, and if you still don't like the car, return it. You have a few hours of driving (is it 1,000km?) to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Its the same as if you were getting an ICE car with a new engine that unknown... Its a risk associated with the purchase. You just have to hope that the manufacturer upholds warranties and any possible recalls. I think the same logic applies here.

I don't know J-W. I haven't done any research on them to be honest.

It sound like you haven't done any research LPF batteries. Just watched a few youtube hit pieces.

I'm not trying to argue. Just saying that LPF batteries have been around a long time. There not a brand new invention. They have pros and cons but are fine if not safer for EV use over lipo

It sound like you haven't done any research LPF batteries. Just watched a few youtube hit pieces.

I'm not trying to argue. Just saying that LPF batteries have been around a long time. There not a brand new invention. They have pros and cons but are fire if not safer for EV use

Thanks J-W. No arguments here. Happy to hear and take everyone's opinion onboard.

• Advertisement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

Even the wiki "Advantages and disadvantages" section is quite informative. Just had a look.

I know it's not direct trending taking in DC charging and such but it might ease some of you concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Why the delay Dozz in your case? I was told any inventory i see is available to collect end of month. I’d hound them

Why the delay Dozz in your case? I was told any inventory i see is available to collect end of month. I’d hound them

Was talking to Tesla there and they are saying I have been matched to a car. Chinese model.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was talking to Tesla there and they are saying I have been matched to a car. Chinese model.
    Sorry for your loss.:(

ELM327 wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss.:(
    :-)

I'm sure plenty of people will be along to tell you not to worry!

My concern is only that you would be getting an inferior product which is cheaper for Tesla to make yet paying the price of the more expensive prior model.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

I'm sure plenty of people will be along to tell you not to worry!

My concern is only that you would be getting an inferior product which is cheaper for Tesla to make yet paying the price of the more expensive prior model.

I was under the impression the MIC build quality was superior. We will find out soon enough.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    I was under the impression the MIC build quality was superior. We will find out soon enough.
    :P:D good one.

The prior discussion was about battery type specifically, and the chemistry is inferior.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Congratulations. You're going to (serious swear word) love the car. They are utterly brilliant.

Well wear.

Congratulations. You're going to (serious swear word) love the car. They are utterly brilliant.

Well wear.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Brill well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

:P:D good one.

The prior discussion was about battery type specifically, and the chemistry is inferior.

If you get the SR+, LR for me.

Brill well wear.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I know a good few on here (including myself) have now been given VINs via email, chat or phone.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation text or anything updated in their account yet? Looking at my account it still looks the same as it has for the last 6 months - i.e. we’ll reach out to schedule delivery and no VIN mentioned anywhere

No account changes or txt's . Sale agreement still missing

I know a good few on here (including myself) have now been given VINs via email, chat or phone.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation text or anything updated in their account yet? Looking at my account it still looks the same as it has for the last 6 months - i.e. we’ll reach out to schedule delivery and no VIN mentioned anywhere

you'll hear nothing now until you are given a delivery date, it will just appear in your account. Then a week before collection you'll receive a text message with car reg number.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mundogas

I got a confirmation text to say I had been matched but no vin or date.

Chat gave me the vin before I got the text.

For those of you awaiting delivery, and it's your first EV, are you getting chargers sorted?

Almost as soon as I ordered my Model 3, I bought a Tesla Wall Connector, and had it installed about 2 weeks before getting the car.

I'd imagine in the current climate, and with current restrictions set to go til March 5th (at least!), getting an installation arranged might not be as easy as it was this time last year!! With perhaps fewer if any Sparks still operating (Is installing a car charger considered essential?) at the minute.
    Of course you could get by using a local eCars AC22 for a while, or even the UMC that comes with the car, but a proper charge point install is just easier and claner.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

For those of you awaiting delivery, and it's your first EV, are you getting chargers sorted?

Almost as soon as I ordered my Model 3, I bought a Tesla Wall Connector, and had it installed about 2 weeks before getting the car.

I'd imagine in the current climate, and with current restrictions set to go til March 5th (at least!), getting an installation arranged might not be as easy as it was this time last year!! With perhaps fewer if any Sparks still operating (Is installing a car charger considered essential?) at the minute.
    Of course you could get by using a local eCars AC22 for a while, or even the UMC that comes with the car, but a proper charge point install is just easier and claner.

I've my install scheduled for this Friday! Zappi unit getting installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Got charger installed first week of Jan as I anticipated it would be hard to get done during lockdown.

Looks like it will be sitting there unused for another month or so anyway!

Advertisement