Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm sure plenty of people will be along to tell you not to worry!

My concern is only that you would be getting an inferior product which is cheaper for Tesla to make yet paying the price of the more expensive prior model.

Inferior product? The stuff coming from the states isn't exactly great quality anyway with lots of QC issues. I would expect the Chinese stuff to be of a better finish actually, paint quality should be much improved as they do not have to adhere to terms of the states apparently anyway.
    There may be some concerns with battery, but as stated not new tech and you do have the 8year warranty on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Inferior product? The stuff coming from the states isn't exactly great quality anyway with lots of QC issues. I would expect the Chinese stuff to be of a better finish actually, paint quality should be much improved as they do not have to adhere to terms of the states apparently anyway.
    There may be some concerns with battery, but as stated not new tech and you do have the 8year warranty on them too.

It is an inferior product with a worse quality, heavier, less efficient and slower charging battery - along with reported issues around high and low SOC and cold weather charging.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It is an inferior product with a worse quality, heavier, less efficient and slower charging battery - along with reported issues around high and low SOC and cold weather charging.

but with 18km more range than the battery coming from the same car from Freemont.

Does it matter if it charges slower and is less efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Just so we're clear, you're talking about the battery on the SR+ from China.

In terms of build quality, I've been told by a Tesla rep in Ireland that the MIC version is better build quality in general over Fremont.

• Advertisement

Those folks in sandyford havent a clue. They are the last to be told anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

There're a lot of discussions in Northeast China (where the current temperature is around -10C) about the battery performances between MIC and imported versions of Tesla. This is particularly important to Chinese users because vast majority of them don't have home chargers and solely rely on superchargers.

Here's one of the most recent article from Sina, which includes Tesla's official response:
    https://finance.sina.com.cn/chanjing/cyxw/2020-12-30/doc-iiznezxs9686664.shtml

The article basically says:
    - MIC battery has an official 22km extra range for SR+ in normal situations;
    - However, MIC battery suffers greater losses in cold climate (SR+ has a 241km range with 5% battery remaining in November in Beijing, where the average temperature is just above 0C);
    - At 0C, MIC battery reduces capacity to 60-70%; 40-50% at -10C, 20-40% at -20C; the imported version has 70-80% capacity at -20C;
    - Tesla China's official response is that with the software version update 2020.48.12, the car is programmed to optimise the battery preheat functionality when driving & charging, which would help improve the battery performance.

Confirmation text has been received. 5th to 15th of March.

J-W wrote: »
    No account changes or txt's . Sale agreement still missing

I just received a text from Tesla saying the car has been allocated and the estimated delivery is March 5-15.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Confirmation text has been received. 5th to 15th of March.

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Sam W wrote: »
    I just received a text from Tesla saying the car has been allocated and the estimated delivery is March 5-15.

Same as. That's a load of bol1ix. Nearly a month after I was told delivery would take place. I've sold my car based on this and now the possibility of a VAT increase

Dozz wrote: »
    Same as. That's a load of bol1ix. Nearly a month after I was told delivery would take place. I've sold my car based on this and now the possibility of a VAT increase

The text mentions final payment 14 days prior to delivery, so I'm assuming once it's paid end of February, its not an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Same txt 5th to 15th

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

It coincides with planned lifting of lockdown restrictions. Might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

J-W wrote: »
    Same txt 5th to 15th

No text here. Crazy system, you’d think having ordered in July I’d be one of the first to get the updates. Tesla are really starting to annoy me with their inefficiency, and I don’t even have the car yet! Worlds away from the service I got when spending similar money with Mercedes.

VAT increase shouldn't be an issue. The final invoice will have already been generated in the next two weeks or so while they apply for the SEAI grant. Once they get the SEAI grant, both they and you will know your final outstanding amount. If you have applied for a Hire Purchase with Tesla, they will ask the bank to release the funds whilst you will pay the remaining balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Same! I’ve done the same! Sold my car this week as was told end of February!

I’ve not got a text tho!

EDIT: Tesla Chat have confirmed that my car should be the end of February... So I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Fair points and I agree, but yours is not the made in china variant.

You mean "the new variant", from China? :eek:.
    an inferior product with a worse quality, heavier, less efficient and slower charging battery - along with reported issues around high and low SOC and cold weather charging.

Not bad, but I've seen better taglines :pac:.

Not wanting to antagonise incumbent Model 3 owners, but Elon only put these (arguably) inferior batteries in these Chinese cars to save money on production costs. Significant cost savings. In the region of $3,000 per car IIRC.

Chinese production has to be far cheaper too, lower labour costs, lack of government regulation etc.

I'd be pretty pissed paying the same full price, for far more cheaply built cars.

But, as always, it's Tesla & they can get away with basically anything. It's arguable it's actually a bait'n'switch. Continental buyers get a large price reduction to reflect the cheaper/inferior battery.
    Irish buyers, not so much :(.

Same! I’ve done the same! Sold my car this week as was told end of February!

I’ve not got a text tho!

EDIT: Tesla Chat have confirmed that my car should be the end of February... So I don't know!

Have you tried emailing them or the live chat option?

Have you tried emailing them or the live chat option?

Live chat said end of February! I’ve emailed the delivery team. I’ll let you know if they come back to me

• Advertisement

Live chat said end of February! I’ve emailed the delivery team. I’ll let you know if they come back to me

Did you get a VIN?

As a generation of Model 3 owners can tell you all...

What delivery date they initially suggest, and the actual delivery date are 2 very different things.....

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Would ye think the 5th - 15th Mar is the final date? Vat rate reduction should be extended but what happens if lockdown gets extended.

Did you get a VIN?

Yup MIC

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bobjs

Checked again this afternoon. Still no VIN - yet the exact car I’ve ordered is listed in the existing inventory? Loving the discussion on MIC vs Freemont builds. Lots of experts on Chinese manufacturing!!!! Why are there so many articles on the flaws you are likely to encounter when collecting a Freemont car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Bobjs wrote: »
    Checked again this afternoon. Still no VIN - yet the exact car I’ve ordered is listed in the existing inventory? Loving the discussion on MIC vs Freemont builds. Lots of experts on Chinese manufacturing!!!! Why are there so many articles on the flaws you are likely to encounter when collecting a Freemont car?

There are more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

No text here. Crazy system, you’d think having ordered in July I’d be one of the first to get the updates. Tesla are really starting to annoy me with their inefficiency, and I don’t even have the car yet! Worlds away from the service I got when spending similar money with Mercedes.

I ordered in October 2016, and got my car in March 2020.
    The car will be great and will be worth the wait, keep the faith.

Their customer service is sub optimal -> most of the information we got was from watching boats and viewing the source code of pages to find VINS...
    Them were the days...before the dark times.....before COVID.

jusmeig wrote: »

I ordered in January 2020 and collected in March 2020. :D
    Would ye think the 5th - 15th Mar is the final date?

March 5th - 15th sounds about right as my original collection date was March 6th, and then in pushed to March 13th..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

jusmeig wrote: »
    The car will be great and will be worth the wait, keep the faith.

Their customer service is sub optimal -> most of the information we got was from watching boats and viewing the source code of pages to find VINS...
    Them were the days...before the dark times.....before COVID.

Fair enough but the Model 3 didn’t come to ireland till 2019 so most of the time you were waiting the car was unavailable here anyway.

It’s just very frustrating as need to sell current car and with no firm dates still it’s mad.

• Advertisement

It’s just very frustrating as need to sell current car and with no firm dates still it’s mad.Tesla

FYP..

Advertisement