Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favor of covid-19 fines in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Deduction at source, (whether this be wage or welfare) if fine not paid within 28 working days.

Parents of non-compliant minors (teenagers) fined.

Suspension of driving licence if fines unpaid (works in the US for non-payment of child support)

Just throwing out suggestions. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I agree 100%. its not like its rocket science to come up with ways to enforce people to comply with the restrictions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Who on earth would police it? The Gardai are just about capable of putting 100+ checkpoints in place. There will be many thousands of public places where masks should be worn unless there's an exemption in place

I actually think it's better if shops have a no entry policy unless you have a medical document stating a mask is not to be used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

People just don't care and there's no deterrent to stop people acting like complete d!cks. Someone in work wears their facemask under their nose. Heard them on the phone at break time asking about their weekend and asking was there any way around the restrictions. The way how they wear a face mask, I'm sure they'll find a way around the restrictions. Same type of person if they have mild covid symptoms will probably self diagnose having a cold and come into work anyways. People just don't care and people should be slapped with heavy fines.

Beasty wrote: »
    Who on earth would police it? The Gardai are just about capable of putting 100+ checkpoints in place. There will be many thousands of public places where masks should be worn unless there's an exemption in place

I actually think it's better if shops have a no entry policy unless you have a medical document stating a mask is not to be used.

You don't need a huge number to enforce it, just start giving out fines and through word of mouth, word will get around, people will start to take notice.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would, fines for people not wearing masks in supermarkets etc very big fines for anyone who has house parties etc. fines for people travelling outside their county for non essential travel. im baffled as to why they have not been introduced.

of course you are since you put pen to paper in this regard. It's called a very blunt instrument and like shutting off licensees early, it will not work.
    let say off licensees have to close at 6pm, then you'll see cues forming the way you do at supermarkets etc and for people who enjoy a drink at the weekend as their only pleasure in the absence of ALL other leisure and social pursuits!! will have feck all!! so why should they suffer, there's only so much you can do on this virus, punish one sector and you punish all most likely.

do your market research or red C poll elsewhere.. nobody wants fines!

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    of course you are since you put pen to paper in this regard. It's called a very blunt instrument and like shutting off licensees early, it will not work.
    let say off licensees have to close at 6pm, then you'll see cues forming the way you do at supermarkets etc and for people who enjoy a drink at the weekend as their only pleasure in the absence of ALL other leisure and social pursuits!! will have feck all!! so why should they suffer, there's only so much you can do on this virus, punish one sector and you punish all most likely.

nobody wants fines? have you not seen the poll?

last weekend I personally witnessed large groups from Dublin and northern Ireland in rented houses in the west of ireland, both groups were actually mixing. the owners of these houses should be heavily fined, they knew where they were from and all they cared about was making a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭AUDI20

rusty cole wrote: »

According the the poll 58% do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keithb93

Its a good thing boards.ie isn't representative of the population as judging by the results of that poll, it seems the only thing that will keep you lot happy is locking everyone up in their houses till a vaccine comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

keithb93 wrote: »
    Its a good thing boards.ie isn't representative of the population as judging by the results of that poll, it seems the only thing that will keep you lot happy is locking everyone up in their houses till a vaccine comes out.

Don't think anyone suggesting that on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keithb93

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Don't think anyone suggesting that on this thread.

The fact that people are actually suggesting that we should be fined for leaving the county for non essential reasons, i don't think im too far off the mark. Same people that would call for level 5 restrictions for the whole country no doubt.

Why are the pubs closed again? Of course people will have house parties when there is nowhere else to enjoy themselves. Alternatives must be provided.

If ye are happy to sit at home and hide for the next 9 months then so be it but don't expect me to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If people can't behave themselves in times of a 100 year pandemic that has the potential to destroy our country for many years then fines are needed, some people are thick as $hit and need to be treated like the kids they are.

Exactly Man, this is war!

Marshall Law now!

Suspension of normal Civilian laws,

Army and Gardai checkpoints... Entry to private homes.

Removal of identifying numbers on security forces and all to be armed.

Special criminal court to sentence all Transgressors.

Mandatory tracking apps.

Protest marches illegal... organizers and those who post on Social media against Government to be Jailed and receive fines starting at €10,000.

This must all remain until the Virus is totally eliminated, nothing else will be acceptable!

The fact that people are actually suggesting that we should be fined for leaving the county for non essential reasons, i don't think im too far off the mark. Same people that would call for level 5 restrictions for the whole country no doubt.

Why are the pubs closed again? Of course people will have house parties when there is nowhere else to enjoy themselves. Alternatives must be provided.

If ye are happy to sit at home and hide for the next 9 months then so be it but don't expect me to.

I in no way want level 5 restrictions. But I feel these level 3 restrictions wont make much difference as there are no fines to keep a dangerous minority in check. I don't even think most of the country should be at level 3 but it is the refusal of a minority of people in Dublin and Donegal, northern Ireland that has the whole country at level 3.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The reason we have to increase the level of restrictions is because the incidence of the virus has increased. People became far to complacent with the measures and now we're paying for it. Couple that with the modern day robber baron's that seem to control our meat industry and it was always going to require another lock down.
    Personally I choose reducing the risk of my elderly parent's getting a disease with serious consequences over your freedom to travel to another county for the craic. If it takes fining you to make you stay put for a couple of weeks, then so be it.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Marshall Law now!

Mandatory tracking apps.

Protest marches illegal... organizers and those who post on Social media against Government to be Jailed and receive fines starting at €10,000.

This must all remain until the Virus is totally eliminated, nothing else will be acceptable!

I know you are being sarcastic but I would be in favor of seeing those anti mask protestors/idiots arrested when they are protesting with no social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

yes, well if they dont pay them, an even worse punishment can be brought in.

Take it directly from source .... in many case the social welfare payment

Edit:see someone already said this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

We were doing well down here in Waterford until there was a meat factory outbreak. Cases began to soar. Thankfully on the way back down.

What's an appropriate punishment for the meat barons?

The issue in the meat factory is not really the work place. Rather the foreign staff they employ all typically live together also, often in larger than expected numbers. When an outbreak occurs then it spread quickly.

Marshall Law now!

Mandatory tracking apps.

It you were seriously suggesting all them measures I’d be in agreement with most (martial law is probably a step too far) as would many people in the country who understand the dangers of letting this virus get out of control.

I know you are being sarcastic but I would be in favor of seeing those anti mask protestors/idiots arrested when they are protesting with no social distancing.

Do you see the slippery slope here?

It you were seriously suggesting all them measures I’d be in agreement with most (martial law is probably a step too far) as would many people in the country who understand the dangers of letting this virus get out of control.

Have you been on holidays this year?

May I suggest Belarus? I hear it's lovely at this time of year...

Not really sure why you suggesting I'm happy to sit at home for next 9 months? I'm not sitting at home, keep working and following guidelines. So if you ask me about fines for people floating rules, definitely yes. Is there anything what makes them exempt from guidelines in Ireland? Don't think so.

• Advertisement

Have you been on holidays this year?

May I suggest Belarus? I hear it's lovely at this time of year...

Nope wasn’t on holidays, nor was I planning on going even prior to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

65% want fines introduced.

Jeasus christ people have absolutely no value or understanding of democracy.

Where does this stop, fine people for not taking the vaccine perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would, fines for people not wearing masks in supermarkets etc very big fines for anyone who has house parties etc. fines for people travelling outside their county for non essential travel. im baffled as to why they have not been introduced.

Are these fines for everyone? Or is it like on the Luas where certain types of people get away with paying the fine.?

Unless they have a medical reason they cannot get it then it should be considered. The level of idiot who won’t take the vaccine is the same idiot who won’t respect the guidelines and is crying constantly about not being able to act as “normal” - give us a way of actually getting back to normal and they refuse it. They are nothing but Anti-vax scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Doesn't having a vote demonstrate the very basis of democracy? :pac::pac:

Or is it only democratic if it suits you? :pac::pac:

A bit overreacting aren't you..

So democracy means no fines, do whatever you want and whenever you want? Got lost in it, cuz don't understand what fines have to do with value and understanding democracy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Democracy? Should we stop all fines for speeding, littering, tv licence evasion etc.?

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Democracy? Should we stop all fines for speeding, littering, tv licence evasion etc.?

Stop allowing people to vote too - it's anti democratic :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

AUDI20 wrote: »
    According the the poll 58% do!!

I did the usual and answered the opposite of what I think. So you can reverse my vote. Most of my friends and acquaintances do this with polls and surveys now. Blame cambridge analytica :)

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I did the usual and answered the opposite of what I think. So you can reverse my vote. Most of my friends and acquaintances do this with polls and surveys now. Blame cambridge analytica :)

Sounds odd, do they do it with elections/referenda too?

Advertisement