Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I read the post to mean double VAT as in the item was £130 with UK VAT and the 21% Irish import duty (VAT) was added on top of that.

Look at the item on Amazon. Then add it to the basket & go to checkout. You should see the price is cheaper at checkout than originally listed. The UK vat should be removed by the time you are at the checkout. The customs deposit is basically Irish vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Look at the item on Amazon. Then add it to the basket & go to checkout. You should see the price is cheaper at checkout than originally listed. The UK vat should be removed by the time you are at the checkout. The customs deposit is basically Irish vat.

Yes I know that but a lot of small companies that sell through Amazons fulfillment program aren't bothering to do the VAT paperwork so you end up paying UK VAT plus the customs deposit of 21%.

Edit> I've just checked 3 items from my Amazon history which where "double vated" last time I tried to buy them and now that issue seems to have been resolved, so hope its like that across the board. I also noticed that one item that was "double vated" as just vanished off Amazon so do wonder if Amazon told sellers they had to get the issue sorted or stop selling?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I read the post to mean double VAT as in the item was £130 with UK VAT and the 21% Irish import duty (VAT) was added on top of that.

I have seen a lot of items fulfilled by Amazon like that.

The item was 114 and said 130 including taxes. Didn't specify which taxes so presume its Vat then 27 on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

If the fulfillment Centre was here in Ireland, would it mean we'd get an Amazon.ie site or does it mean we could order from. co.uk. Or from. de and the items would just be delivered from the Irish fulfilment centre?

Hi all, just wondering if someone had any experience with this. Ordered from amazon, delivery was due Tuesday, they gave me a refund today and said it might be lost but also I might just be delayed. Last tracking was it showing clearing customs in Manchester.

I’m not too fussed about it getting lost, these things happen but with them saying it might turn up, my question is, does it often or is it always lost when they say it is. Just trying to decide if I should reorder or wait.

Thanks

This happened me a few times just before Christmas.
    Got refunded and amazon said items probably lost, all of them delivered not long after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

foxatron wrote: »
    If the fulfillment Centre was here in Ireland, would it mean we'd get an Amazon.ie site or does it mean we could order from. co.uk. Or from. de and the items would just be delivered from the Irish fulfilment centre?

This would be good to know. Anyone on here have a direct contact with the fulfillment project team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Mountpark, the developer of the project known as Unit E at Baldonnell Business Park just off the N7 dual carriageway in west Dublin, has teamed up with USAA Real Estate Company, which has built Amazon centres in California, Texas, Florida and Minnesota. Construction is expected to begin shortly on the 654,000sq ft Dublin project, the biggest warehouse planned in Ireland in 2021.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/amazon-facility-developers-must-co-ordinate-with-irish-air-corps-1.4471404

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Big improvement, ordered Wednesday evening, delivered Saturday morning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Recruitment for the new fulfillment centre.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/jobs/1312624/operations-manager

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

1huge1 wrote: »
    Big improvement, ordered Wednesday evening, delivered Saturday morning.
    I ordered something Wednesday evening, arrived Friday morning. It was my first delivery to get here in under a week since Brexit.

It entered customs clearance in "Dublin, Swords" 45 minutes after it was shipped from Manchester. After completing customs clearance, it took 16 hours to get from "Dublin, Swords" to Rathcoole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Customs clearance is done for products at remote locations and doesn't mean the item is in that location.
    Some people reporting of them done in Mouscron Belgium.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

All, with the products under €22, or whatever Amazon isn't adding the extra charges to, if you order an item and then do a separate item afterwards as a separate purchase, is there any danger that they will charge extra as they sometimes link the 2 purchases together for one delivery, or are you safe. Hope I've explained properly what I mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

All, with the products under €22, or whatever Amazon isn't adding the extra charges to, if you order an item and then do a separate item afterwards as a separate purchase, is there any danger that they will charge extra as they sometimes link the 2 purchases together for one delivery, or are you safe. Hope I've explained properly what I mean.

It would be interesting to see what they do in this situation. Technically its two separate orders so VAT would not be due but to customs the value would be over 22 so would customs look for VAT??
    I'm sure the question will be answered soon with more people ordering.

My first order this year was a few cables which i ordered on Tuesday and arrived this morning. Happy enough with that. The no VAT on orders under 22 does make me think Prime would be worth keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

So far you will not be charged anything extra. I ordered 4 items under €22 separately last week which were all delivered on the same day by An Post with no extra charges

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Does the €22 limit still apply when purchasing from Amazon from the Amazon UK website? I assumed the vat/custom charges were meant to be included?

Is it only smaller parcels/packages less under €22 individually delivered arrive to Ireland via Anpost? They have delivered to me via an post most of the time sometimes by other couriers or couriers that go through anpost that was before Brexit.

Is it bigger parcels/packages come by a different courier since Brexit? Have most of everyone's parcels been delivered by An post or does that only apply for small items?

I'm still getting my head around the brexit changes and not ordered anything from Amazon UK yet only directly from a seller in the UK in particular phone cases. Use to always order from amazon but had to order direct from seller as won't deliver to Ireland via amazon.

Looking at electrical sale items at the moment but looking to see if I can get them in Ireland that deliver via anpost to save the hassle of buying from the UK/Amazon for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

KOR101 wrote: »
    Mountpark, the developer of the project known as Unit E at Baldonnell Business Park just off the N7 dual carriageway in west Dublin, has teamed up with USAA Real Estate Company, which has built Amazon centres in California, Texas, Florida and Minnesota. Construction is expected to begin shortly on the 654,000sq ft Dublin project, the biggest warehouse planned in Ireland in 2021.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/amazon-facility-developers-must-co-ordinate-with-irish-air-corps-1.4471404

Trucks heading west/south on N7 (e.g. Limerick or Cork) from Baldonnell have to head up the slip road to citywest or kingswood and use the flyover to get on the southbound lane. Seems a bit awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Having got through series 1 of the Bureau only for Amazon to pull the plug on customers in Ireland, just bought the 5-series box set from Amazon France (it was about E60 cheaper than on AUK). Arrived no problems - and more importantly no duty charges within a few days.

Do not (yet!) seem to have been charged tax or duty from anything I've ordered from AUK. Fingers crossed this state of affairs will continue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

starlit wrote: »
    Does the €22 limit still apply when purchasing from Amazon from the Amazon UK website? I assumed the vat/custom charges were meant to be included?

Is it only smaller parcels/packages less under €22 individually delivered arrive to Ireland via Anpost? They have delivered to me via an post most of the time sometimes by other couriers or couriers that go through anpost that was before Brexit.

Is it bigger parcels/packages come by a different courier since Brexit? Have most of everyone's parcels been delivered by An post or does that only apply for small items?

I'm still getting my head around the brexit changes and not ordered anything from Amazon UK yet only directly from a seller in the UK in particular phone cases. Use to always order from amazon but had to order direct from seller as won't deliver to Ireland via amazon.

Looking at electrical sale items at the moment but looking to see if I can get them in Ireland that deliver via anpost to save the hassle of buying from the UK/Amazon for now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146415

The news that developers are building Amazon’s first Irish “fulfilment centre” (a fancy name for a warehouse) at Baldonnell on the edge of Dublin lends weight to suggestions that the web retailing giant may be planning to launch an Amazon. ie site specifically for the local market.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/can-amazon-ie-be-all-that-far-off-delivery-1.4471414

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ordered a low value (GBP 20.40) item at 17:30 last Thursday from Amazon UK, it was dropped on my doorstep by a guy in a plain white van this (Sunday) afternoon.

As delivery was direct to ROI, I'm assuming that I paid Irish VAT, the value was below the threshold for customs duties and therefore nobody will come looking for more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am lost in all this. Might do a test purchase from .UK to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

Very little has changed since before Brexit. Prices are almost identical to before. Delivery was getting delayed but I'm now getting delivery within 2 or 3 days from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've bought lots from .es and .de, no issues.

With 2 german sellers on amazon, I queried the delivery cost and one lowered it to €10, arrived by dhl in 3 days.

The other directed me to a bundle that saved me more then the delivery cost. Both were much cheaper then .uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Put in four separate Prime orders just under €20 each with Amazon UK on Friday evening. Not charged UK or Irish VAT i.e. total price at checkout was lower than quoted, due to a small packet VAT exemption which ends in March 1st July. But delivered as one parcel by Amazon Logistics this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

spakman wrote: »
    Trucks heading west/south on N7 (e.g. Limerick or Cork) from Baldonnell have to head up the slip road to citywest or kingswood and use the flyover to get on the southbound lane. Seems a bit awkward.

Capture.jpg

Assuming I have the right industrial estate chosen here, it doesn't seem that bad to me? 1-2mins additional driving at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

1huge1 wrote: »
    Capture.jpg

Assuming I have the right industrial estate chosen here, it doesn't seem that bad to me? 1-2mins additional driving at most.

Yes, but between 8-9am there's a tailback to get into citywest. Now you'll have a fleet of amazon trucks on top of that.
    Maybe they'll be on the road earlier, and maybe citywest offices will never be as busy again post-covid, who knows...

spakman wrote: »
    who knows...
    Drones.....

MugsGame wrote: »
    Put in four separate Prime orders just under €20 each with Amazon UK on Friday evening. Not charged UK or Irish VAT i.e. total price at checkout was lower than quoted, due to a small packet VAT exemption which ends in March. But delivered as one parcel by Amazon Logistics this afternoon.

Have they changed this date? It was to be June 2021?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ordered 1 thing that never arrived after a month (start of January).
    Reordered and it took about a week and a half to arrive (late January).
    Reordered again (wrong size) and took 3 days (ordered Friday and arriving today).

Ordered 2 other items on Friday and they're also arriving today!

Definitely seems to be improving for some items!

Advertisement