Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Phat Cat wrote: »
    How did you get one? I've been checking every few hours since the 1st yet they've been always been out of stock.

I did this so I get an email when it's in stock. Setup a Keyword monitor for the words

Out of stock

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114805210&postcount=63

SachaJ wrote: »
    Some black ones in stock now on the Google Store. I cancelled my pre-order for a black as there was a green one available.

Good man, thanks. Managed to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Looks like both are back in stock on the Google store now. Just sorted a Sorta Sage one a couple of mins ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So torn on whether to order and whether it's worth it if I have the s10+. Was just going to sell that to the missus, it'd basically work out as nothing for the phone between that and the QC 35's.

My main concern really is the speed of the Pixel 5 in comparison and whether the battery will be up to scratch. I think both should be fine - and I do love the google software, plus the 90hz display and better batteries.. i THINK it's a good idea? Convince me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I've had the Nexus one, "two" 4 and the pixels one and two. A brief foray to oppo for the find 7. (The absolutely fastest best screen fastest charging phone I've still ever seen!!!!) Now I have ordered my PIXEl 5 due on the 14th.

Nothing like a Google phone. Except maybe the new oppo... But that's $$$$$

• Advertisement

What's the best plan for this phone?
    I've been with 3 for the last 10years,and have had no issues with them. Out of contract at the moment, and just letting it roll month to month.
    Looks like it's going to cost €40 a month just for a plan with 5G and tied in for 2 years. Vodafone costs almost the same, but only a 12 month contract.
    If it wasn't for the 5G element, I'd just switch to Virgin or 48.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Black still in stock.

Edit: Gone @ 12.56

Was just about to buy when the greens went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

I've been with 3 for the last 10years,and have had no issues with them. Out of contract at the moment, and just letting it roll month to month.
    Looks like it's going to cost €40 a month just for a plan with 5G and tied in for 2 years. Vodafone costs almost the same, but only a 12 month contract.

€25 a month PAYG for unlimited data including 5G. Unless you really need/make a lot of calls I've no idea why anyone uses bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

I ordered a Green when it went live and now have ordered a black for someone else. Personally color doesn't matter as it will be in a case all the time. All that will be visible is screen and camera module which are black on both devices.

• Advertisement

I never put a case on anything and I love the shade of green that they are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'm going from €80 a month on Vodafone to €8 a month on 48.ie. I can't see 5G being a whole lot of use tbh and my guess is if Three are rolling out 5G (24% of population currently) then 48.ie won't be too far behind. Within ayear, I guess that 5G will be standard and not an add-on. I'm in no rush

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I always put a case on my phones, not really for protection, but because they're so damn slippery otherwise and I keep dropping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Managed to pre-order black with black case around mid-day. So they're definitely updating stock intermittently (perhaps as it comes available) as I had managed to get one into my basket around 1030am but by the time I went to checkout after reviewing the cases, the phone was removed automatically and the case was just sitting there on its own.

Any suggestions on screen protection for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Can't decide if its worth upgrading to this from a Samsung S9+ - s9 is still going strong with the exception of the battery struggling towards the end of the day but its heading for 3 years old and it feels like I should need an upgrade, just not sure is this enough considering it'll have a lower resolution screen and a mid range processor - if I didn't already own a pair of QC35's it would be more enticing - great headphones and they really make this a great deal combined with the cost of the Pixel 5

Can't decide if its worth upgrading to this from a Samsung S9+ - s9 is still going strong with the exception of the battery struggling towards the end of the day but its heading for 3 years old and it feels like I should need an upgrade, just not sure is this enough considering it'll have a lower resolution screen and a mid range processor - if I didn't already own a pair of QC35's it would be more enticing - great headphones and they really make this a great deal combined with the cost of the Pixel 5

I'm coming from Note 9. I don't think the processor makes a difference unless you do loads of gaming. Same with the screen. I ran my note in 1080p because I couldn't tell the difference at the higher resolution anyway.

The S9 is all done as far as Android updates go, so I guess that's one thing to consider. You're also getting a way better camera. My Pixel 3a takes much better pics than my Note 9 did, so expecting good things from the 5.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm coming from Note 9. I don't think the processor makes a difference unless you do loads of gaming. Same with the screen. I ran my note in 1080p because I couldn't tell the difference at the higher resolution anyway.

The S9 is all done as far as Android updates go, so I guess that's one thing to consider. You're also getting a way better camera. My Pixel 3a takes much better pics than my Note 9 did, so expecting good things from the 5.

People get so hung up on processor but if they’re that into gaming then they won’t be doing it on a phone anyway.

Also, speaking of camera, I use an iPhone 11 daily and still take out a Pixel 2 regularly for photos if I really want a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mesh123

Saw the Pixel 5 is back in stock (black), but the expected delivery is 18th Nov, this is past the 45 day claim limit for the Bose headphones, anyone else getting this sort of expected delivery time or know if Google will still give the headphones if the delivery takes that long?

mesh123 wrote: »
    Saw the Pixel 5 is back in stock (black), but the expected delivery is 18th Nov, this is past the 45 day claim limit for the Bose headphones, anyone else getting this sort of expected delivery time or know if Google will still give the headphones if the delivery takes that long?

The order date will be the date that your payment is taken and the phone is shipped, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Well from my order it says between 14 and 45 days from delivery so you should be grand

"Important: If you’ve purchased a Google Pixel 5, you may be eligible to submit a claim for a pair of Bose QC 35 II wireless headphones on us. To redeem, follow the steps on the redemption page between 14 to 45 days after delivery. Available while stocks last. Terms apply*."

Well from my order it says between 14 and 45 days from delivery so you should be grand

"Important: If you’ve purchased a Google Pixel 5, you may be eligible to submit a claim for a pair of Bose QC 35 II wireless headphones on us. To redeem, follow the steps on the redemption page between 14 to 45 days after delivery. Available while stocks last. Terms apply*."

Thats odd, as for me on the promotion page it states you must provide certain details, such as the IMEI number of the phone within 45 days of the order date, not delivery, which obviously cannot be met if the phone takes more than 45 days to arrive. Talking to google support at the moment and will update once I know more

Edit: According to the support member I spoke to, so long as you have ordered the phone, even if it has not yet arrived, you can still claim the headphones after the number of days stated in the T&C and there won't be any issues.
    "The 45 days will begin after you place the order. Then it has an additional 14 calendar days.
    After the 14 calendar days you can now claim the Bose headphones.
    Even if the phone is not yet delivered as long as the 14 calendar days is done, you can claim the Bose headphones."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Is there any benefits ordering from amazon instead of the google store?

I have vouchers from amazon I'd like to use!

No benefits. It probably costs more and it's questionable whether you can claim the free headphones.

Thats odd, as for me on the promotion page it states you must provide certain details, such as the IMEI number of the phone within 45 days of the order date, not delivery, which obviously cannot be met if the phone takes more than 45 days to arrive. Talking to google support at the moment and will update once I know more

Edit: According to the support member I spoke to, so long as you have ordered the phone, even if it has not yet arrived, you can still claim the headphones after the number of days stated in the T&C and there won't be any issues.
    "The 45 days will begin after you place the order. Then it has an additional 14 calendar days.
    After the 14 calendar days you can now claim the Bose headphones.
    Even if the phone is not yet delivered as long as the 14 calendar days is done, you can claim the Bose headphones."

How are you going to claim when you don't have the phone and therefore don't have the IMEI which is required to claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

If the phone goes belly up, Google will normally ship you a phone first, and then you can return retrospectively (with a credit card), versus you shipping the phone to them, and they sending it back to you.

I'm on my third Pixel 3 with them, and this was always a minor frustration that I bought via CPW.

Basil3 wrote: »
    How are you going to claim when you don't have the phone and therefore don't have the IMEI which is required to claim?

Thats what I asked and I was told the order number would be enough as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Black was back in store for a few minutes. Didn't get a chance to enter card details before going back to out of stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Black was back in store for a few minutes. Didn't get a chance to enter card details before going back to out of stock!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058118030/6/#post114805210

Set up this, they have an app on the play store and it'll notify you once it's back in stock for pre-order. Use Out of stock as the keyword.

Just remember UP means it's not available and DOWN means it is. It'll check every 5 minutes and will alert you when it's available again. Worked perfectly for me today as I managed to nab the sage colour, just hoping it'll be here earlier than the 11th of November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

skodacb wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058118030/6/#post114805210

Set up this, they have an app on the play store and it'll notify you once it's back in stock for pre-order. Use Out of stock as the keyword.

Just remember UP means it's not available and DOWN means it is. It'll check every 5 minutes and will alert you when it's available again. Worked perfectly for me today as I managed to nab the sage colour, just hoping it'll be here earlier than the 11th of November.

Thanks for the tip! I had configured Sken.io but UptimeRobot looks much better.

On a different note, does anyone know if warranty is the same if the phone is bought in the UK store, or would one have to cover shipping expenses to send it to the UK for a repair and nonsense like that?

Advertisement