Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Anybody who has worked with The Public would have had any enthusiasm burned away pretty quickly.

The Public are scum. EVERYONE should be forced to work with The Public at some stage. Sort of a National Service.

So The Public are scum at the best of times: In a shop or restaurant for example. When they are doing something relatively pleasant. Now imagine how bad they are when they get on a bus on a sodden, cold, dark Monday morning at 7AM to go to work. Caught in traffic that is not the driver's fault. Working so far from work that is not the driver's fault. Going to a job they hate that is not the driver's fault, standing in an over-crowded bus and even this is not the driver's fault. Hating the bus, hating the driver, hating the traffic, hating simply having to be on the bus. It's no wonder they are not Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins: Aw'roi, guv'nor? Where do then? 'op on board then. We'll sing a song to pass the toime.

Now regarding the "The Public are Scum" charge. Anyone who doesn't think so, has never worked with The Public. And anyone who HAS worked with The Public knows I am right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

db for example has a huge team that are paid to listen or deal with complaints and the Driver isn't.

How I deal with complaints from passengers depends entirely on how they address me in the first instance. Say, for example, the previous bus didn't show up and they've been waiting for an unreasonably long time. If they are in any way aggressive towards me, or demand that I tell them what happened to some other bus that some other person is driving... I cheerfully tell them, with a big grin on my stupid face, that it's not my problem. How am I supposed to know where some other bus is, when I'm driving this one? Sometimes I'll follow this by taking a swig of coffee or tossing a Malteaser in the air and catching it in my mouth, just to indicate how little I care about their predicament.

If they've been particularly aggressive and sweary towards me, I'll wait until everyone is seated and use the PA system to admonish them for how they spoke to me, reminding them that I'm not paid enough to take that kind of abuse, especially for events beyond my control. I might also issue a veiled threat that I'll drive past the offenders in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Now regarding the "The Public are Scum" charge. Anyone who doesn't think so, has never worked with The Public. And anyone who HAS worked with The Public knows I am right :D

This chap speaks the truth !

A summer or even a year or so in a job serving the public would make you a better person for life as you treat people as you want to be treated

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

It seems to be every day now I wouldn't mind but they get, what €44,000 a year enough to buy good manners no?

how does anybody indublin survive on that

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    rare you meet one who isnt surly , not for their charming personalities they are employed

This thread suggests otherwise. Rare to find one that's not delightful.

• Advertisement

glomar wrote: »
    how does anybody indublin survive on that

Yeah, people would think it's a fortune. Minimum wage is 21k. Scratcher is 10k.

Lad then pays taxes, bills, mortgage, travel and possible trying to raise a few kids as well.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    This chap speaks the truth !

A summer or even a year or so in a job serving the public would make you a better person for life as you treat people as you want to be treated

Used to be said about the service industry. Spend time in Burger King, as a waiter, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I’ve sometimes wondered how bus & train drivers handle bodily functions, especially if they get stuck in traffic. If I was stuck behind the wheel while bursting for a P, you can bet I’d be a bit snippy.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the problem is not the bus drivers, its the passengers.

If I had to spend my life driving them around i would be miserable too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anyone else having lousy experiences with Dublin Bus Drivers,
    Tried to be polite to one this morning, cheerfully said hello, he just glared at me angrily, said nothing then scowled ahead, I mean do they have to be such arrogant Pr!cks! dealing with the public all the time?

Which town or county has the worse bus drivers?
    I haven't used public transport in ages!

But i am sure they get a lot of abuse. Sorry you bore the brunt of that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Some are really so unbelievably rude

I remember on my first day of secondary school it was my first time ever using public transport. I didn't know that all busses go along arterial routes into town so when I stepped on I asked the driver does this bus go straight to XX which was on this main road into town.

He said 'of course it ****ing does'

What a ****ing prick. Imagine speaking like that to a child asking a question politely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They're payed to drive the bus not soothe your ego.

I'm not sure about that. Presumably they also have a customer service role and revive customer service training.

I find the go ahead drivers to be the most pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Tried to be polite to one this morning, cheerfully said hello, he just glared at me angrily, said nothing then scowled ahead, I mean do they have to be such arrogant Pr!cks! dealing with the public all the time?

I think they are generally just a bit tense at the moment, as covid 19 numbers are going up within the greater dublin area, but buses are still at 50% capacity. They probably also want minimal interactions with passengers (unbelievably there are still regular bus users who pay in cash rather than use a leap card).

There is also the added loss of facial cues/muffling of voices due to the masks which has resulted in a less social environment. I know drivers on the Maynooth route are generally lovely, but it feels a lot more impersonal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I think they are generally just a bit tense at the moment, as covid 19 numbers are going up within the greater dublin area, but buses are still at 50% capacity. They probably also want minimal interactions with passengers (unbelievably there are still regular bus users who pay in cash rather than use a leap card).

There is also the added loss of facial cues/muffling of voices due to the masks which has resulted in a less social environment. I know drivers on the Maynooth route are generally lovely, but it feels a lot more impersonal now.

That's actually a very good point, that's why I say hello to the bus drivers, they're getting people from a to b everywhere, I don't want them to feel that they're being takin for granted, they're doing essential work for society especially during a Pandemic where even their own lives are on the line, it's actually disgraceful that the Unions don't get the government to top up their wages by a couple of extra hundred euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So many complaints are by people going out of their way to start trouble in the 1st place..... I've had it all, I've supposedly kidnapped numerous people and threatened others yada yada yada.... I didn't by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its not the 1950s anymore.
    Tap your leap, say where your going, sit down and shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm not sure about that. Presumably they also have a customer service role and revive customer service training

I find the go ahead drivers to be the most pleasant.

You've never worked in retail right? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Was coming down Wexford st. and was a total jam.

Old lady asks to get off as she needs to get to post office before it closes.

I followed her and the driver tried to shut the door on me. I got through but my bag gets stuck behind the door while I'm still holding the handles. He had to open the door to release the bag.

What a ****wit, should have reported him

I followed her and the driver tried to shut the door on me. I got through but my bag gets stuck behind the door while I'm still holding the handles. He had to open the door to release the bag.

Yeah great idea report for letting off when they shouldn't, this is exactly why the doors only open at bus stops....

Absolutely. You should have. He potentially risked his job by helping an old lady out and stopping where he shouldn't. What a b*stard!!!

Then somebody decides to pile out simply because it's handy and he says "I should report him!!!"

Had he NOT stopped I'm sure it would have been:

"I was on a bus the other day and this little old lady asked him to stop by the post office so she could collect her pension. The b*stard drove on past to the next stop simply to spite her."

Jesus Christ. Cop yourself on and take a good hard look at yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Absolutely. You should have. He potentially risked his job by helping an old lady out and stopping where he shouldn't. What a b*stard!!!

Then somebody decides to pile out simply because it's handy and he says "I should report him!!!"

Had he NOT stopped I'm sure it would have been:

"I was on a bus the other day and this little old lady asked him to stop by the post office so she could collect her pension. The b*stard drove on past to the next stop simply to spite her."

Jesus Christ. Cop yourself on and take a good hard look at yourself

He opened the door so I had every right to go out it. If he's opening it for one he's opening it for all. I need to cop on for getting off a bus when the driver opens the door?

He spitefully closed it and was lucky that he didn't hit me with the door, which could have meant his job.

Watch your aggressive manner of posting and have a good hard look at yourself sunshine. You don't seem too bright pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

He opened the door so I had every right to go out it. If he's opening it for one he's opening it for all. I need to cop on for getting off a bus when the driver opens the door?

He spitefully closed it and was lucky that he didn't hit me with the door, which could have meant his job.

Watch your aggressive manner of posting and have a good hard look at yourself sunshine. You don't seem too bright pal.

Bus drivers can get in serious trouble if they let people out at non-designated stops. Yet knowing that the bus driver let the old woman out so she could make it to the post office. And you tried to take advantage of their generosity without asking if you too could get off there, and then you threaten to report the driver?

Get over yourself. He likely didn't see you till he had already pressed for the door to close. **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Some are really so unbelievably rude

I remember on my first day of secondary school it was my first time ever using public transport. I didn't know that all busses go along arterial routes into town so when I stepped on I asked the driver does this bus go straight to XX which was on this main road into town.

He said 'of course it ****ing does'

What a ****ing prick. Imagine speaking like that to a child asking a question politely

Seriously, some kids get a wedgy and left hanging on the door, some get their head shoved down the toilets, and the worse thing that you remember on your first day of secondary school is the bus driver using colourful language?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Most likely I was a passenger who just got off prior to you getting on and I didn't "thank" the driver which I never do. When the doors open I just step out and go on my way.

Hello or bye costs nothing.....

I will always say hello or say bye or have a good one etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Maybe you are the issue then?

In my 30 years being allowed get the bus on my own, the driver's have 99% been sound and 1% decent.

Never shouted at me, never rude and helpful with stops, letting people know local info and directions. Above and beyond I have to say.

In return they get abused and assaulted. They have a lovely canteen though.

There is a minority of drivers who behave like complete bellends and they know that they can get away with it..if you've ever made a complaint to Bus Eireann about a driver you'll know that they have the backing of the unions behind them and its almost impossible for them to be fired.

No, you had no "right" to get out the door at a non-designated stop. And, yes, technically, neither did the old lady. This is why we can't have nice things, as the saying goes. Someone does a favour for somebody and people abuse the situation. He closed the door to stop passengers from getting off at a non-designated stop. Had you or anyone else gotten off there and had an accident then I'm sure that would have been his job or at the very least a reprimand. Are you saying that the entire bus should have been entitled to get off the bus there and then? Well, actually you are.

Technically he should not have allowed the lady off the bus there but he did, at his own risk. Would you have preferred if he had not allowed this lady off the bus?

It has been quite some time since I have been on the bus but I never had a problem seeing the driver going out of their way to assist those who need it. But that's just my own personal opinion.

And I'm not your pal, buddy and function quite satisfactorily with my level of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The reality is that most of us work in a workplace where if somebody behaved like some Dublin Bus passengers do (verbally abusing, spitting at drivers, etc), they would get a P45.
    We also work with some utterly ignorant asreholes in these workplaces.
    There are idiots in every workplace. Most DB drivers are decent people, most people in our workplaces are decent people.
    Give these guys a break if a few bad eggs are what you are judging the lot of them by.

There are a few regulars I'll let out as they can't walk far at all and the other week one was on the ground as their legs are completely wasted.....
    I will stop for them and let them off in a safe place but I don't like doing it because of exactly the reason above.... People only see what they want to see and it's like the cyclists that shoot up the inside banging and shouting, people then think we done something to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He opened the door for the elderly lady as a favour even though it is against regulations. You decided to take advantage even though you hadnt asked. Then you post about reporting him andcosting him his job. Do people behave like that to you when you give them a Big Mc instead of a Cheeseburger?

Advertisement