Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Thanks for that. One more question if you don't mind. I tried to buy a broadband plan from three but they won't let me because there's no broadband network. I'm on 5G on my phone but the agent told me the phone and broadband 5G networks are different. Is this true? It seems strange to me.

Yes, they are only rolling it out in certain areas it seems, even thought there may be 5g coverage in an area, they are not selling it.

Not sure why this is, and in fact I dont know anybody that has been able to successfully order it.

For example, if I put my eircode in of my office, which in in Dublin City Centre and definitely in 5g coverage, it still says its not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Tzardine wrote: »
    Yes, they are only rolling it out in certain areas it seems, even thought there may be 5g coverage in an area, they are not selling it.

Not sure why this is, and in fact I dont know anybody that has been able to successfully order it.

For example, if I put my eircode in of my office, which in in Dublin City Centre and definitely in 5g coverage, it still says its not available.

Suppose I'll have to give it a few months and hope they'll roll it out soon. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tzardine wrote: »

Probably preserving the experience for now. If their new 5G product is been tweeted about doing 10Mb in Dublin it looks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

I mentioned previously in the thread I would test my parents local mast with the 5G phone, which I did.

The result was quite strange, as it now seems the 5G n78 signal has been switched off at the mast completely, where it was on before. Neither the phone or the 5G box can see the signal anymore, where before the 5G box could detect it but could not connect. I'm guessing they're having some issues with the rollout.

I was shopping yesterday and I went in to the local 3 shop when I was passing by. The sales rep was actually quite helpful and told me that the coverage map is accurate in terms of which masts will have 5G, but 5G home broadband won't be rolled out nation-wide until February. So if you put in your Eircode and it doesn't let you choose the 5G option then it hasn't been rolled out to your mast yet.

Just figured I would give an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

I mentioned previously in the thread I would test my parents local mast with the 5G phone, which I did.

The result was quite strange, as it now seems the 5G n78 signal has been switched off at the mast completely, where it was on before. Neither the phone or the 5G box can see the signal anymore, where before the 5G box could detect it but could not connect. I'm guessing they're having some issues with the rollout.

I was shopping yesterday and I went in to the local 3 shop when I was passing by. The sales rep was actually quite helpful and told me that the coverage map is accurate in terms of which masts will have 5G, but 5G home broadband won't be rolled out nation-wide until February. So if you put in your Eircode and it doesn't let you choose the 5G option then it hasn't been rolled out to your mast yet.

Just figured I would give an update.

Seeing this as well at a rural mast that was previously showing a 5g signal. Has been turned off altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Are all masts the same strength? In cork city I have 500mbps download speed but in my rural home I only have 25mbps even though the bars look the same on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

i will be buying the Oneplus Nord 5G next week and was wondeing if i have to call into Three to get a 5G sim? i am on all you can eat data top up every 28 days

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭doc22

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Are all masts the same strength? In cork city I have 500mbps download speed but in my rural home I only have 25mbps even though the bars look the same on my phone.

I'm going to guess congestion on rural mast as people use that as their primary internet access or lack of backhaul at rural site thats causing the issue. It's the same were I live. Signal strength has little to do with the actual mast capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Teothican wrote: »
    i will be buying the Oneplus Nord 5G next week and was wondeing if i have to call into Three to get a 5G sim? i am on all you can eat data top up every 28 days

OnePlus 5g phones aren't allowed access the Three 5G network yet, (unless the situation has changed in the very recent past).

Three and OnePlus are supposed to be working on an update that will allow this.

Oneplus Nord 5G issue (Firmware solved)
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058117299

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Not sure if it has 700 band, check it out further...
    https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/88345441

Nuphor wrote: »
    Seeing this as well at a rural mast that was previously showing a 5g signal. Has been turned off altogether.

Just got a 5G handset, not seeing promotion to 5G where I'd expect it.

Anyone currently seeing 5G live? Havent been able to test many locations with Covid/Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Cork981

ED E wrote: »
    Just got a 5G handset, not seeing promotion to 5G where I'd expect it.

Anyone currently seeing 5G live? Havent been able to test many locations with Covid/Christmas.

Have 5G on my iPhone 12 in most places in Cork City.
    I’m surprised how well indoor coverage is working.

Outside I’m seeing generally >500mb down and over 1000mb in a few locations.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Not sure if it has 700 band, check it out further...
    https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/88345441

I thought it just had to say N78 ?

537278.JPG

realme phone :

537279.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I thought it just had to say N78?

There's also a 5G 700MHz band (not in use yet). It'll be used in rural areas.

https://www.spectrummonitoring.com/frequencies.php/frequencies.php?market=IRL

Also, it doesn't have 4G 800 band either so IMO it's best to look for another phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

do any of the oneplus phones work on the Three 5G network?

There's also a 5G 700MHz band (not in use yet). It'll be used in rural areas.

https://www.spectrummonitoring.com/frequencies.php/frequencies.php?market=IRL

Also, it doesn't have 4G 800 band either so IMO it's best to look for another phone.

All we need in the Country is a decent reliable wireless service not Fibre, I don't need 1GB fibre it's a huge waste of money in my opinion rolling it out to many country areas and half might not even sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

All we need in the Country is a decent reliable wireless service not Fibre, I don't need 1GB fibre it's a huge waste of money in my opinion rolling it out to many country areas and half might not even sign up for it.

Unfortunately fiber is the only decent reliable service, for premises and cellular backhaul infrastructure alike but that's for another thread.

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    Unfortunately fiber is the only decent reliable service, for premises and cellular backhaul infrastructure alike but that's for another thread.

Jim

I find 4G quite reliable to be honest. Vodafone have had their issues lately though which has effected all their systems including fibre. 4G could do with being a lot faster but other than that I think 5 G would be fine for most People if it proves fast enough at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I barely get 3G to work for me

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I barely get 3G to work for me

You could probably get it to work a lot better or get 4G like I did by putting an external 4G Antenna on a pole on the Chimney that's the only way I can get it to work. I can get 3 G on my phone in the house but it's crap, the Antenna outside and on a pole on the Chimney the difference was night and day.

As the old saying goes, a radio is only as good as it's antenna and basically this is all 3 or 4 G is, Transmitter to Radio, the radio being the modem.

Now if I could get 5G I wouldn't need fibre, maybe I can get 5G I don't know yet.

4G off peak is around 30-40 Mbs which is fine, if I could get a good 30-50 Mbs via 5G at peak times I'd be happy enough. Currently capped at 300 Gb per month on Vodafone though, 3 gave I think 750 Gb but the service was so bad you'd never use it.

Teothican wrote: »
    do any of the oneplus phones work on the Three 5G network?

Another poster got it going after an update (baseband).
    celtic_oz wrote: »

Also its MTK. MTK radios just dont match Qualcomm. Like it or not they're market leader for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

Hi all and happy new year to ye.I was using the nperf app today which is great to track where 5g coverage can be got so in the town where I live there is no 5g signal for three ,eir is available.The 5g for three has coverage about 2 miles from town I went to where it showed on the nperf coverage map and it's very accurate I picked up 5g signal was surprised I was close to the mast full bars,done a speed test and got 58mbps.I presume they don't have it up and fully running yet or have some adjustments to do.Just thought I'd share the information with ye.

These are the bands that support 700Mhz, do the phones have to support all of them ( n12,n14,n28,n29 and n83 ? ) + n78 to be futureproof

n12 FDD 700 Lower SMH[A 5] 699 – 716 729 – 746 30 5, 10, 15
    n14 FDD 700 Upper SMH 788 – 798 758 – 768 −30 5, 10
    n28 FDD 700 APT 703 – 748 758 – 803 55 5, 10, 15, 20[A 7], 30[A 7]
    n29 SDL 700 Lower SMH[A 8] N/A 717 – 728 N/A 5, 10
    n83 SUL 700 APT 703 – 748 N/A N/A 5, 10, 15, 20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

These are the bands that support 700Mhz, do the phones have to support all of them ( n12,n14,n28,n29 and n83 ? ) + n78 to be futureproof

n12 FDD 700 Lower SMH[A 5] 699 – 716 729 – 746 30 5, 10, 15
    n14 FDD 700 Upper SMH 788 – 798 758 – 768 −30 5, 10
    n28 FDD 700 APT 703 – 748 758 – 803 55 5, 10, 15, 20[A 7], 30[A 7]
    n29 SDL 700 Lower SMH[A 8] N/A 717 – 728 N/A 5, 10
    n83 SUL 700 APT 703 – 748 N/A N/A 5, 10, 15, 20

Europe uses the lower duplexer of the APT-700 band (n28) 703-733/758-788 MHz. The others are sub-bands of this not used in this part of the world and one of them overlaps the EU's 800 MHz band.

n78 if you want 5g now, it will be rolled in the lower bands in due course

I live in a rural area

im trying to buy a phone now that can be used to detect if 5g for rural is in my area ( probably not for a long time )

it will probably be three

what bands ( n78 etc ) do I need to ensure I have such that the phone will be able to detect 5G for rural in the future, thanks

what bands ( n78 etc ) do I need to ensure I have such that the phone will be able to detect 5G for rural in the future, thanks

The 700 MHz band is one of the EU's three 5G pioneer bands together with the 3.6 GHz and 26 GHz band, so n28 would be required.

The 2.3 and 2.6 GHz bands are also up for auction, the 2.6 band will also likely be used for urban areas.

thanks .. N28 + N78 is on this phone so should be perfect

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001895947193.html

specs : 5G NR: n1/n3/n5/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n40/n41/n77/n78

specs : 5G NR: n1/n3/n5/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n40/n41/n77/n78

Also covers the 2300 and 2600 MHz bands, n40 and n7/n38 respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone use 5G from three yet

Paid big bucks for the New S21 Ultra and want the best out of it. €5 a month extra for 5G coverage

Advertisement