Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Caspero wrote: »
    Has anyone tested a sim-unlocked HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro2 Router H122-373 bought from somewhere other than 3 with a 3 PAYG SIM + 5G add-on yesterday or today?

I know some people tested previously and it didn't work, just wondering if 3 have since checked a box to allow that device to work on their network since they launched that router for sale on their website.

I've tested on the initial pro. Getting signal but no activation as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Trying a CPE Pro 1, also see 5g/4g status, but seemingly no activation (speeds remain at 4g+ levels).

"Optimise Location" only shows 4G signal, no 5G. Am in an area 5G with coverage allegedly.

It's showing, but no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

From a webchat this morning.

K7qHU4V.png

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Tzardine wrote: »
    From a webchat this morning.

K7qHU4V.png

I've had massive issues with Three since all this 5G business started.

These new 5G routers ye're talking about - are they only to impprove performance to 5G enabled phones? Or would the general service improve?

I'm just about to move provider as Three speeds have been so poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I've had massive issues with Three since all this 5G business started.

These new 5G routers ye're talking about - are they only to impprove performance to 5G enabled phones? Or would the general service improve?

I'm just about to move provider as Three speeds have been so poor.

No, the 5G router takes a 5g SIM and provides "Broadband" connectivity using the 5G network instead of other copper or fibre connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

1000GB is not very impressive for that price. A family of 4 with kids will easily hit 1000GB with all the YouTubbing, Netflixing, downloading games and game updates for their consoles.

Should've been 2000GB or none at all. It's the next generation future network, right?

Very interesting discussion regarding download limits here:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/11/broadband-power-users-explode-making-data-caps-more-profitable-for-isps/?comments=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 popkornas

So as I understand for now €20 top up and active 5G ad on (doesn't matter how good or bad 5g coverage) DON'T WORK on any 5G routers??

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

popkornas wrote: »
    So as I understand for now €20 top up and active 5G ad on (doesn't matter how good or bad 5g coverage) DON'T WORK on any 5G routers??

You'll have to wait until they release a 5G broadband service which will likely only work, initially at least, with Three's own router, so yes you are correct.

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    You'll have to wait until they release a 5G broadband service which will likely only work, initially at least, with Three's own router, so yes you are correct.

Jim

How do they know what equipment I use my SIM in? Can they do the same with 4G SIMs?

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote: »
    1000GB is not very impressive for that price. A family of 4 with kids will easily hit 1000GB with all the YouTubbing, Netflixing, downloading games and game updates for their consoles.

Should've been 2000GB or none at all. It's the next generation future network, right?

Very interesting discussion regarding download limits here:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/11/broadband-power-users-explode-making-data-caps-more-profitable-for-isps/?comments=1

1TB of data means too much screens and need to detox. 2TB means professional help is needed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 popkornas

How do they know what equipment I use my SIM in? Can they do the same with 4G SIMs?

I don't know how but definitely they somehow blocking 5g in routers

popkornas wrote: »
    I don't know how but definitely they somehow blocking 5g in routers

That's not good. I buy a service, where I use it should not be up to three to decide.

Anybody tried those 5G booster add-ons? I wonder if I have a 4G phone and buy one of those 5G boosters, will I get better 4G speeds?

That's not good. I buy a service, where I use it should not be up to three to decide.

Anybody tried those 5G booster add-ons? I wonder if I have a 4G phone and buy one of those 5G boosters, will I get better 4G speeds?

Three are perfectly entitled to block this.

People are buying one service (phone plan) and trying to use it for a different purpose (broadband)

I have no issue with people doing this, I have done it myself, but let's not pretend that we have some entitlement to do it. If they decide to block it, thems the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

People are buying one service (phone plan) and trying to use it for a different purpose (broadband)

I have no issue with people doing this, I have done it myself, but let's not pretend that we have some entitlement to do it. If they decide to block it, thems the breaks.

I thought there was new regulation coming in in December saying that Three can't stop people from using phone sims in routers

I don't agree with that.

I buy petrol from you, why do you control what car I put it into?

I am buying a service, which they imposed limits on (which is a joke because isn't 5G supposed to be this super amazing next generation network? And yet it's limited, but that's a different topic.).

Where I hit those limits should not matter to you. If my usage is inline or at least within fair limits with others on the network then why does it matter to you where I use the SIM?

If I get a cheap 5G phone solely for tethering and start tethering to that, are they going to start blocking phones?

Look after the service and how I use it not where I use it.

EDIT: And even then I am against limits (or at least they should be way higher on this futuristic network) and especially against content blocking systems they have, I don't want my Internet censored in any way.

I don't agree with that.

I buy petrol from you, why do you control what car I put it into?

I am buying a service, which they imposed limits on (which is a joke because isn't 5G supposed to be this super amazing next generation network? And yet it's limited, but that's a different topic.).

Where I hit those limits should not matter to you. If my usage is inline or at least within fair limits with others on the network then why does it matter to you where I use the SIM?

If I get a cheap 5G phone solely for tethering and start tethering to that, are they going to start blocking phones?

Look after the service and how I use it not where I use it.

EDIT: And even then I am against limits (or at least they should be way higher on this futuristic network) and especially against content blocking systems they have, I don't want my Internet censored in any way.

Its not the same at all. You are entering into a contract when you get the sim card, and so you are agreeing not to use it for the purpose of broadband when you take it out.

To use your analogy, it would be the the same as the garage selling the petrol to you on the agreement that you only use it in your car. You agree to this and it is sold to you purely on that basis.

You then go and use it in your motorbike. Yes it will work and you may say whats the harm, but you cant blame the garage for being annoyed when you broke the agreement you had with them, or if they refuse to sell you any more petrol.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

jdon72 wrote: »
    I thought there was new regulation coming in in December saying that Three can't stop people from using phone sims in routers
    Yes, the the EECC comes into force on December 21st. From that date, mobile networks will no longer be able to restrict tethering or the use of any SIM in a router.

Quackster wrote: »
    Yes, the the EECC comes into force on December 21st. From that date, mobile networks will no longer be able to restrict tethering or the use of any SIM in a router.

That looks like a very positive change, I was just reading up on it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I can see:

They can still block non-three modems (sim free ones) from using their network.
    They can still network lock their equipment

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That looks like a very positive change, I was just reading up on it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I can see:

They can still block non-three modems (sim free ones) from using their network.
    They can still network lock their equipment
    I'm not up on all the intricacies but I think you are correct on that. They can't restrict your device usage based on your particular plan but I assume they can still restrict the use of specific devices across their network and they can continue to network-lock devices too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

Did they do anything like this back when 4G was rolling out? Any idea when they'll remove the restriction on third-party 5G routers?

According to a post from Three on their own online forum, you can purchase 5g broadband now in store. €149 upfront cost for the router and €45 per month.

https://community.three.ie/t5/3MadeEasy/All-About-5G-Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ba-p/768267#M401

According to a post from Three on their own online forum, you can purchase 5g broadband now in store. €149 upfront cost for the router and €45 per month.

https://community.three.ie/t5/3MadeEasy/All-About-5G-Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ba-p/768267#M401

Seemingly it's not correct according to a reply they gave someone on twitter. They're making some balls of this.

This is available to purchase now over the phone. I was just speaking to them, and they will check how far you are for the nearest 5g mast. I am 18k away, so a bit too far at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Tzardine wrote:
    This is available to purchase now over the phone. I was just speaking to them, and they will check how far you are for the nearest 5g mast. I am 18k away, so a bit too far at the moment.

I also rang them today, it's not available for me yet, but he did tell me there will be two options, the indoor router giving a min of 80mbps or the external antenna installed by a 3 technician promising min 130mbps.
    He also said they should have about 85% coverage in 6-8weeks, which seems very quick. I wonder is this achievable, he has given me hope of getting 5g much sooner than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From their network speed notice....
    Mobile...
    5G max D/L 25Mbps

FWA...
    Max D/L 150Mbps
    Min D/L 25Mbps

100 Mbps for 80% of time over the whole day

https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-network-speeds.html

IMO, promises of 80 and 130 minimum is probably just sales talk unless specified in the contract...which it won't be as that would contradict their own contractual speeds indicated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭CivilEx

fennor72 wrote: »
    I also rang them today, it's not available for me yet

Are you currently covered by 5G according to their coverage map?

So when you rang them, did they tell you that it isn't available to you because 5G mobile broadband isn't available to anyone yet, or because you are in an area that isn't currently covered, but they hope to roll out coverage to you soon.

CivilEx wrote: »

So when you rang them, did they tell you that it isn't available to you because 5G mobile broadband isn't available to anyone yet, or because you are in an area that isn't currently covered, but they hope to roll out coverage to you soon.

In my case, when I rang the guy said that they are selling it now but they check your area for coverage first.

He looked up my eircode and told me that the nearest 5g mast was 18k away, so there is no point in getting it at the moment, and to wait until closer masts were updated.

My house does show as within the 5g area on the three map, so the map is clearly crap.

CivilEx wrote:

CivilEx wrote:

The coverage map is showing me with 5g coverage. They did say 5g mobile broadband is available but I was in an area that wasn't covered, but they said in 6-8 weeks they hoped to have 85% nationwide coverage

• Advertisement

I also asked him about the coverage radius of a 5g mast, I've heard there's a mast in mullingar but it only has a coverage of about 1.5 km.
    He half agreed with me but said the more masts that came online the better the coverage.

Advertisement