Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish labour party - No Alan Kelly bounce

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Augme

Can you define "upper class"? Any FG voters I know are firmly middle-class (i.e., people who have to work to pay the mortgage though they could probably retire into a smaller house if they wanted to etc).

I'd say people who have a house bigger than what they need would be doing very well personally. Certainly at the top end of middle class verging into the bottom end of upper class. Upper middle class we can call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Augme wrote: »
    I'd say people who have a house bigger than what they need would be doing very well personally. Certainly at the top end of middle class verging into the bottom end of upper class. Upper middle class we can call them.

:eek:

There's three of us living in a 3 bed terraced house. We could probably take in a homeless person or a refugee from Hackney :)

But, selfish "middle class ba5tards" that we are, we probably won't!

Loads of people hoarding family homes after the kids have left alright. Bizarrely we have left wing parties in Ireland who refuse to tax property.

Not sure having a family who have left the family home really makes a person upper middle-class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Augme

Loads of people hoarding family homes after the kids have left alright. Bizarrely we have left wing parties in Ireland who refuse to tax property.

Not sure having a family who have left the family home really makes a person upper middle-class.

I'd say owning a very significant asset while having very little to pay on wouldn't be far off either though. But it is to split hairs over exactly what the definition would be.

Certainly Fine Gael supporters would not be from a "very broad" base. Hence the reason they have never really been that successful as a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd say owning a very significant asset while having very little to pay on wouldn't be far off either though. But it is to split hairs over exactly what the definition would be.

Certainly Fine Gael supporters would not be from a "very broad" base. Hence the reason they have never really been that successful as a party.

there the second most successful party in the states history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

dail.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    nonsense , the FG vote is very broad

+1, jaysus if FG could get away with only needing the ‘upper class’ / rich etc.. they’d be the party that leo championed 10 years ago,

Tax cuts, welfare cheats being clamped down on, USC abolished, the sensible hard economic decisions we were promised.

Their delivery proves thats such an unimportant section of society that their only purpose is to pay the taxes for the benefits of only the lower classes. ‘Upper class’ and ‘upper middle class’ people have literally been bet senseless with baseball bats since the recession kicked in and no sign of the beatings slowing down any time soon. Irish politics has firmly moved to appealing to the gimme gimme gimme welfare class, the pessimistic student and worker who see no light at the end of the career tunnel and the lower middle classes who can be bought off by getting mere crumbs of the tax they pay back in ‘services’ and ‘payments’

Ireland as a country perpetually rides roughshod over the people who always paid to keep the lights on here, and can continue to do so because the irish psyche still considers money a filthy possession, those that earn it must reside quietly in a corner and be happy to be vilified for their success.

Advertisement