Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish labour party - No Alan Kelly bounce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I thought their recent campaign for citizenship by birth was a sure fire way to court the white, working class male demographic.

Back to drawing board for them. Maybe tackling Toxic Masculinity or campaigning against more housing is the next step. Surely that will resonate with white working class males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I thought their recent campaign for citizenship by birth was a sure fire way to court the white, working class male demographic.

Back to drawing board for them. Maybe tackling Toxic Masculinity or campaigning against more housing is the next step. Surely that will resonate with white working class males.

They could campaign to lower to zero the age at which children can elect to have gender re-assignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They could campaign to lower to zero the age at which children can elect to have gender re-assignment.

Or perhaps a tax, a new tax would be very popular.

Id only imagine they have a focus group room, and its a table of 10 people, 2 black women fresh off the boat , isis bride lisa smith, 2 unemployed gender fluid students , 2 middle aged women union reps who work in dunnes 12 hours a week, a party member being paid 50k a year to take notes and a token white man who is only allowed utter the words ‘i agree’ .

Every policy has been perfectly crafted and unanimously approved by this panel, they just cant understand why it wont resonate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Or perhaps a tax, a new tax would be very popular.

Id only imagine they have a focus group room, and its a table of 10 people, 2 black women fresh off the boat , isis bride lisa smith, 2 unemployed gender fluid students , 2 middle aged women union reps who work in dunnes 12 hours a week, a party member being paid 50k a year to take notes and a token white man who is only allowed utter the words ‘i agree’ .

Every policy has been perfectly crafted and unanimously approved by this panel, they just cant understand why it wont resonate.

You seriously think theres anyone in Labour who works 12 hours in retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bambi wrote: »
    You seriously think theres anyone in Labour who works 12 hours in retail?

Ohh no, the oarty membership itself are firmly a middle class and academic set, this is just their focus group of ‘diverse associates’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Acosta

6 TDs, 3% in the polls and they still think they have the right to overturn the will of 80% of the Irish people...who the fuk do these commies think they are?

The Irish labour party are commies? L O L !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kelly has been excellent holding the government to account during the pandemic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭ooter

Wasn't a peep out of him when LV was in hot water over sharing a document.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Labour have no target demographic now so they are trying to shore up the last bastion of activists it has, those from well heeled middle class liberal Ireland who support it.

Look at Bacik last week, a dog whistle to the Chateauneuf activists.

It will not be enough to resurrect them. That market is being split between SF, The Greens and even Fg, never mind the other smaller parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Kelly was a disastrous appointment and has an abysmal track record. He has the optics of someone who is in it for the power, wealth, fame even and all the associated trappings. Kelly is the polar opposite of what Labour values traditionally are.

It never ceases to amaze me how the people/members within the bubble of a political party are as equally out of touch with the general public.

@Labour members. If you're looking to get above 3%, Alan Kelly is not the man to have as leader.

The definition of stupidity quote is appropriate here. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Maybe Kelly has charm and charisma at the Labour gatherings. I have know doubt he sells a good vision but it will not wash with the general public. Kelly is associated with everything Labour are currently despised for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Irish working class vote has moved to Sinn Fein and unfortunately they don't read the fine print before they vote that will ultimately see their own destruction

All left wing parties want to keep you down

Wallowing in victimhood that they don't want you to escape from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd no time for kelly and thought he was an awful choice but he is doing well at pointing out the current cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

ChikiChiki wrote: »

@Labour members. If you're looking to get above 3%, Alan Kelly is not the man to have as leader.

The definition of stupidity quote is appropriate here. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Maybe Kelly has charm and charisma at the Labour gatherings. I have know doubt he sells a good vision but it will not wash with the general public. Kelly is associated with everything Labour are currently despised for.

I can't see anyone leading them improving their chances. I reckon members should join the soc dems if they want to be with a party polling higher than 3%.
    At this rate they won't even get much transfers from fg, they'll be going to ff.

Labour are beyond saving because the gap in the market is filled and over filled at that, as SF continue to become dominated by Middle class sticks, they'll lose votes but it will not go to Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭jmcc

Still @ 3% in polls. Almost neck and neck with Aontú now.
    Anontu with 1 TD on the same % in the polls as Labour with 6. I think that Kelly referred to himself as AK47 some time ago. It is clear he's just Squirt Gun Kelly and people still remember his Water Tax efforts.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would it be a push to say that if you were to gauge the average wage of political party support, that Labour would probably be the highest?

Some would say FG but FGs support can be broad, especially rural. Labour are the party of career academics, high level NGO workers, RTE staff, and some older High level Union workers. People who are so set in life that they need to invent life problems because normal people problems don't apply to them.

I would like to see a poll done the next time to see what's the average earnings of the partys support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

.... At least Kelly is better than Aodhan O'Riordain though.

Why, if you don't mind me asking?

I've seen a few similar comments, but no one has said why, so I would love to know.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

garrettod wrote: »
    Why, if you don't mind me asking?

I've seen a few similar comments, but no one has said why, so I would love to know.

Aodhan is lightyears out of touch with the average working person, one of his biggest goals is to phaseout single sex schools, not exactly a bread and butter issue for working families is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

Aodhan is lightyears out of touch with the average working person, one of his biggest goals is to phaseout single sex schools, not exactly a bread and butter issue for working families is it?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

His focus is clearly on education these days, maybe that's his remit?

With very few deputies, they can't pick and win many battles, so maybe the strategy is to focus on a few topics with key social benefits - housing, health, education and finance perhaps?

I can't say that this is showing me why Alan Kelly is any better tbh - we've seen him back a few lemons too.

Thanks,

G.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I personally think Alan Kelly has been far and away the best opposition leader of this Dail.

Mary Lou has been crap. Usual guff and shouting from the sidelines. At least Kelly and Labour as a whole use their actual experience in government to rebuke the current government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

"Frankfurts way or Labours Way!" Remember that ?
    HAHAHAHAHAHA ! That was a good prank that aul rascal Gilmore pulled on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭jmcc

WrenBoy wrote: »
    "Frankfurts way or Labours Way!" Remember that ?
    HAHAHAHAHAHA ! That was a good prank that aul rascal Gilmore pulled on us.
    Don't forget "Gilmore For Taoiseach" printed on mugs (ceramic rather than Labour voters). :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Would it be a push to say that if you were to gauge the average wage of political party support, that Labour would probably be the highest?

Some would say FG but FGs support can be broad, especially rural. Labour are the party of career academics, high level NGO workers, RTE staff, and some older High level Union workers. People who are so set in life that they need to invent life problems because normal people problems don't apply to them.

I would like to see a poll done the next time to see what's the average earnings of the partys support.

pretty sure the Green party come out highest , Labour would be high though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Augme

It would be a massive push. The rural FG voters are swimming in €€€€ from EU grants. I don't think fine gael vote is very broad, basically upper class old people, upper class middle aged people and then upper class young people and then a small proportion of hangers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Augme wrote: »
    I don't think fine gael vote is very broad, basically upper class old people, upper class middle aged people and then upper class young people and then a small proportion of hangers on.

I am working class, and I am sympathetic to FG, although I would not always vote for them.

By working-class, I mean that I am a worker.

It would be a massive push. The rural FG voters are swimming in €€€€ from EU grants. I don't think fine gael vote is very broad, basically upper class old people, upper class middle aged people and then upper class young people and then a small proportion of hangers on.

Can you define "upper class"? Any FG voters I know are firmly middle-class (i.e., people who have to work to pay the mortgage though they could probably retire into a smaller house if they wanted to etc).

Upper class is someone with a job?

No fan of FG but this post is so far out it's incredible.

Do you have any interest or experience of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ó Riordáin is a chancer. Not well remembered by inner city sports clubs who he promised funding for before he forgot all about them when he moved constituency.

Kelly is not the worst in fairness - not that i would choose voting for Labour above the eating of my own extremities - but it is lost cause. Their traditional constituency of professional care bears is now open season for all parties espousing liberalism and bunging the NGOs and legals large amounts of our cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

nonsense , the FG vote is very broad

Advertisement