Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moaning of Death: Liveline 23/9 forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Just listened back, Joe heavily pushing how dangerous this virus is... When just 24 hours ago he wanted Mothers, Fathers, Lucozade vendors all allowed into hospitals just to hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just listened back, Joe heavily pushing how dangerous this virus is... When just 24 hours ago he wanted Mothers, Fathers, Lucozade vendors all allowed into hospitals just to hang out.

And could see no difficulty with an elderly priest going from patient to patient in a hospital.

Depends what way the wind is blowing, eh Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Knew with 38 pages when I checked here today's programme would be worth a listen. Couldn't keep up with the thread while listening. Comments here make it worth listening to

dvcireland wrote: »
    shop street was like a river of piss

It was like the schluss(?) gates of Ardnacrusha had opened Joe

sligojoek wrote: »
    Get them to soak up the piss with their jackets.

Great idea. We could have another show with Mammy calling in to say her wonderful beauuutiful son's human rights had been breached and how he was suffering PTSD after he was checked by the evil Garda after a urinating on the street incident befell him.

• Advertisement

Mod - Regarding use of the word "tranny" on this thread, it is being found offensive so I am asking that is not used here again.

However, just to explain, Joe Duffy has referred to a transistor radio in the past as a "tranny", which may or may not be appreciated by posters. I myself have used the word here to throw a jibe at the host's clumsy and unthinking use of language, and I think that is what most people here have been doing. It's been part of the satire here, but we will avoid it from here on. Hopefully Joe will play ball and not say it again either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mod - Regarding use of the word "tranny" on this thread, it is being found offensive so I am asking that is not used here again.

However, just to explain, Joe Duffy has referred to a transistor radio in the past as a "tranny", which may or may not be appreciated by posters. I myself have used the word here to throw a jibe at the host's clumsy and unthinking use of language, and I think that is what most people here have been doing. It's been part of the satire here, but we will avoid it from here on. Hopefully Joe will play ball and not say it again either :)

Oh come on, I can’t recall anyone ever using it on this thread in anything but a mocking way to Mr. Duffy’s use of it when referring to a transistor radio. Similarly, I can’t recall hearing anyone saying “tranny” for years in any context - it’s not a word that’s used in my work or social circles.

Do you know what I find offensive? People clearly and deliberately going out of their way to take offence where none is intended, nor present. Can we ban that too?

Just so I’m clear on this now, if Mr. Duffy uses it can I quote him? Or is that an offence? I’m not being deliberately obtuse here, I’m asking a genuine question.

Oh come on, I can’t recall anyone ever using it on this thread in anything but a mocking way to Mr. Duffy’s use of it when referring to a transistor radio. Similarly, I can’t recall hearing anyone saying “tranny” for years in any context - it’s not a word that’s used in my work or social circles.

Do you know what I find offensive? People clearly and deliberately going out of their way to take offence where none is intended, nor present. Can we ban that too?

Just so I’m clear on this now, if Mr. Duffy uses it can I quote him? Or is that an offence? I’m not being deliberately obtuse here, I’m asking a genuine question.

As a Mod I realise it is not at all *intended* to be offensive when used as a Duffy quote here, but I also want it known that if a poster finds its repetition herein genuinely offensive I have explained the case against repeating it here. All people are most welcome on the thread, but maybe not e reunify is fully familiar with the history of Joe Duffy's utterances. As I said, I myself have posted that word here more than once as satire of Duffyism, although, of course, never use it in "real life". But having realised it may be insensitive, I will avoid it as I want all good posters to feel welcome.

Duffy is gaff prone, the thread reflects this satirically, so hopefully when we post something that might look a bit inappropriate in current society it is, per most posters, strictly in context.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cat, I appreciate your position and will abide by the mod note.

General discussion:

We now have two "T words" .

Should they be T****R and T****y?

or

T1 and T2?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hope it's ok to post this.

Source
    The word tranny appeared in the late 60’s as an abbreviation for the then-new transistor radios. The process of cutting off the end of a word is called apocope (pronounced a-PO-cuh-pih) and is a common phenomenon. Transistor itself is a blend of transfer and resistor, which describes the basic physics of the device. Once the transistor radio had become a popular consumer item, it was somewhat inevitable that it would take on some sort of colloquial diminutive, just as the television set became the telly in the UK and TV in the US. From the 70’s on, tranny became the popular name for the radio.

It wasn’t until the 1980’s that the same word became slang for a transvestite, but it is the same process of lopping off the end that underlies its origin. Compare this with the late 70’s meaning of tranny as being a photographic transparency.

We therefore have the following list that summarizes the relatively sudden development of three meanings for one slang term:

1969: tranny – shortened form of transistor radio
    1979: tranny – shortened form of photographic transparency
    1983: tranny – shortened version of transvestite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

You got to laugh at the adds for RTE to know where you get news from.

The same station that would quotes the SOHR for news.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Observatory_for_Human_Rights

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Context is everything, dahlink.
    Absolutely ridiculous to be triggered by a word which is obviously being used in a non-offensive context - and a completely different meaning, that would be obvious to even the most obtuse.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

General discussion:

or

T1 and T2?

Don’t you go bringing the airport into this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

That’s grand till willie of the ethnic nomad community rings in about the problems he encounters with his cross dressing.

Can we say “portable miniature radio frequency broadcasting device without a cervix” then?

Honestly, this sh*t is getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

General discussion:

or

T1 and T2?

And a K word.

K1T2. Not quite Star Wars, but we’re getting there. Actually, is the term “Star Wars” offensive to peace-loving and conflict averse celestial bodies made mostly of hydrogen and helium that produce light and heat from the churning nuclear forges inside their cores?

To paraphrase Sean O’Casey “De celestial bodies made mostly of hydrogen and helium that produce light and heat from the churning nuclear forges inside their cores, de celestial bodies made mostly of hydrogen and helium that produce light and heat from the churning nuclear forges inside their cores; wat is de celestial bodies made mostly of hydrogen and helium that produce light and heat from the churning nuclear forges inside their cores so to speak as they say.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What happens if some poor offended Liberal soul gets offended by the words so to speak, so to speak?

BPKS wrote: »
    What happens if some poor offended Liberal soul gets offended by the words so to speak, so to speak?

A-ha! Well spotted!
    Good point caller, well made.
    If there’s one thing I’ve learned in these enlightened times, it’s that people can be offended by anything, and if you dare to question the legitimacy of that offence, you’re Satan. Or Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pat Kenny on NT reading out an email (Pat said 'essay') from Joe Duffy about Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

When Joe kept saying 'dead sheep' yesterday he may have thought in his head it was as impactful a like as the 'I knew john f Kennedy...' line. There are rare lucid moments when someone uses a turn of phrase that catches his attention, like the car key analogy, and he locks on it to and deems the person who said it to be a genius.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny on NT reading out an email (Pat said 'essay') from Joe Duffy about Dublin

Mr. Joesph Duffy of RTE? Or some randomer named "Joe Duffy"? An email, an essay, or a peom?

Dubalin city is great you see,
    It has some bridges and the river Lif-fey,
    De Guinnnnesssessss do be do be do be nice for a sip,
    But really it's just an unadulterated kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I must have zoned out for a moment yesterday and missed the " dead sheep" bit from Duffy. Listening to the Brazilian wan screeching had me addled.
    I don't even know what she was screeching about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

joe got well Ansty when someone mentioned using de fibrebrigade on students.

Kalimah wrote: »
    I must have zoned out for a moment yesterday and missed the " dead sheep" bit from Duffy. Listening to the Brazilian wan screeching had me addled.
    I don't even know what she was screeching about!

I frequently zone out of what's on de radio when I'm scanning de posts for "you can't say dats" ;) but that's a mod's life on a very active and slightly edgy thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Dub Ba Lin in the Covid-19 Toimes

by Joseph Duffy

I'd love to go for a waddle
    for an auld bowl of coddle
    or buy a new cravat
    but i can't drat

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Maybe today:

Problems adopting bootiful boys from Vietnam
    More moaning about crowds in Galway
    Wear your masks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

1) cuple dopting a bootiful bye..delayed...quarantine..declaration to expire
    2) young wan upset CF, peeples breaking the rules, husband has heart and hearing condition.
    3) wont wear a mask, bus drivers and reatialers at their withs end

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Knock on effects of Covid.

Adopting a " beautiful boy" from Vietnam.

The carry on, so to speak, in Galway.

Clip of Jill from yesterday.

Common sense. Masks. Bus drivers at their wits end.

I prefer The Power Station's cover of "Get it on (bang a gong)!" myself Ronan so to speak as they say.

POSSIBLY (but unlikely) on twodaze show:

De kock-on effect of COVID - a beauriful young bhoy from Vietnam and his potential adoptive parents.

Young peeple, old peeple, and those peeple wit cystic foybro-siz.

Brazilian shouty-lady clip from yesterday.

Common-sense and masking for a friend. Retailers and bus-drivers at dare wits end.

Won't be in attendance Lahv so to speak as they say for de next few days, but I will keep an eye on de thread and dat. Enjoy yerselves now, and don't be offending peeple - dja hear me?

• Advertisement

Vietnam adoption

Cystic Fibrosis patient

Gil from yesterday

People who won't wear masks an dat.

Could be interesting conflicts of interest here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement