Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There will be plenty discussion afterwards about the nominations that did not make the Top 50, and maybe a further discussion about the ones that were surprisingly not nominated by anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

I sense my single nomination will not make the cut as we move closer to the top ten I have limited expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

speckle wrote: »
    Reberetta,

The list has nearly got to the top ten with only one female fronted album( maybe one and a half MBV).... so any chance of you posting a list of the top 20 from the full list?

The top twenty female-fronted albums? I'll see what I can muster up at the end but I shan't promise anything.:p

I forgot about two other albums in the countdown already that I actually have!

Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen - standout track is the title track, There are a few other good tracks, but there was quite a few I did not like. I was disappointed. I subsequently taped The Tunnel of Love album, which was much better.

Achtung Baby by U2 - quite a good album - some really great tracks.

lassykk wrote: »
    I sense my single nomination will not make the cut as we move closer to the top ten I have limited expectations

You're still alive. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Reberetta wrote: »
    The top twenty female-fronted albums? I'll see what I can muster up at the end but I shan't promise anything.:p
    Thanks or maybe when the full list is posted, we can all help pull out different catorgorys if you like.:)

13th 46 pts

Metallica
    Metallica/Black Album (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 27/1/1
    Singles:  "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Sad but True"
    Nominated by FHFM50, Kolido, Sawduck, Y0ssar1an22
    The album was a change in Metallica's direction from the thrash metal style of the band's previous four studio albums towards a more commercial, heavy metal sound, but still had characteristics of thrash metal.

Many fans consider the album to be a transition from the often ostentatious compositions of Metallica's previous releases to the slower, divested style of the band's later albums, where "old" and "new" Metallica are distinguished from one another.

Instruments not usually used by heavy metal bands, such as the cellos in "The Unforgiven" and the orchestra in "Nothing Else Matters", were added at producer Bob Rock's insistence.

Rock also raised the volume of the bass guitar, which had been nearly inaudible on the previous album ...And Justice for All.

Bassist Jason Newsted said he tried to "create a real rhythm section rather than a one-dimensional sound" with his bass. Ulrich said he tried to avoid the "progressive Peartian paradiddles which became boring to play live" in his drumming and used a basic sound similar to those of The Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts and AC/DC's Phil Rudd.

The band took a simpler approach partly because the members felt the songs on ...And Justice for All were too long and complex. Hetfield said that radio airplay was not their intention, but because they felt "we had pretty much done the longer song format to death," and considered a good change doing songs with just two riffs and "only taking two minutes to get the point across".

Ulrich added that the band was feeling a musical insecurity — "We felt inadequate as musicians and as songwriters, That made us go too far, around Master of Puppets and Justice, in the direction of trying to prove ourselves. 'We'll do all this weird-ass **** sideways to prove that we are capable musicians and songwriters'" – and Hetfield added he wanted to avoid getting stale: "Sitting there and worrying about whether people are going to like the album, therefore we have to write a certain kind of song — you just end up writing for someone else. Everyone's different. If everyone was the same, it would be boring as ****."

The lyrics of Metallica written by James Hetfield were more personal and introspective in nature than those of previous Metallica albums; Rock said Hetfield's songwriting became more confident, and that he was inspired by Bob Dylan, Bob Marley and John Lennon.

Hetfield said the album's lyrical themes were more introspective because he wanted "lyrics that the band could stand behind – but we are four completely different individuals. So the only way to go was in."

According to Chris True of AllMusic, "Enter Sandman" is about "nightmares and all that come with them"."The God That Failed" dealt with the death of Hetfield's mother from cancer and her Christian science beliefs, which kept her from seeking medical treatment. "Nothing Else Matters" was a love song Hetfield wrote about missing his girlfriend while on tour.

It became the first album in the SoundScan era to pass 16 million in sales, and with 16.4 million copies sold by 2016, Metallica is the best-selling album in the United States since Nielsen SoundScan tracking began in 1991. It has now spent over 550 non-consecutive weeks, or just over 10 and a half years, on the Billboard 200 chart. To date, it has sold an estimated 31 million physical copies worldwide and is certified 16-times platinum in the US.

Eight facts about the album.

The epic story behind the album.

You're still alive. :cool:

I like what you did there :D

I forgot about two other albums in the countdown already that I actually have!

Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen - standout track is the title track, There are a few other good tracks, but there was quite a few I did not like. I was disappointed. I subsequently taped The Tunnel of Love album, which was much better.

Achtung Baby by U2 - quite a good album - some really great tracks.

And I forgot about Definitely Maybe by Oasis, which I also bought! Overall, it is not a bad debut album. I also bought What's The Story Morning Glory but Definitely Maybe was definitely better!

13th 46 pts

Metallica
    Metallica/Black Album (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 27/1/1
    Singles:  "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Sad but True"
    Nominated by FHFM50, Kolido, Sawduck, Y0ssar1an22

Eight facts about the album.

The epic story behind the album.

Actually could have had this as a second nomination. An absolutely amazing album that was a soundtrack to my teenage years and an intro to decent music. Nothing else matters is just an amazing track. Great nomination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is not a WOKE thread you know :D but it IS an injustice you never heard of Lloyd Cole before -and also, how about Elvis Costello? Ring any bells?

Elvis Costello yes ;)

I'm just after remembering I taped most of Doolittle by The Pixies - great album. It has a great track to finish off with - Gauge Away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Blood on The Tracks was in my top 10 alright. I'm not a Dylan fanatic, but I remember, vividly, listening to it after a break-up and it felt as raw as a freshly severed limb.

The Black album is where the rot set in for Metallica IMO. Everything up to that was flawless and groundbreaking, everything afterwards was lukewarm.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Elvis Costello yes ;)

Ah cool- I always put them together in my mind as a similar genre of music for some reason

lassykk wrote: »

Lead singer reminds me of Harry Maguire :D

Track is OK too

I think Lloyd Cole looks like a serious version of Jimmy Carr!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Am I right in thinking there hasn't been a single album from the 10s with fever ray being the latest release (2009?) to feature?

Arghus wrote: »
    Blood on The Tracks was in my top 10 alright. I'm not a Dylan fanatic, but I remember, vividly, listening to it after a break-up and it felt as raw as a freshly severed limb.

The Black album is where the rot set in for Metallica IMO. Everything up to that was flawless and groundbreaking, everything afterwards was lukewarm.

A few of my top 10 are starting to appear including Dylan’s BOTT— looking up for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

OOOOH

So, Ten is in the top 10. :P

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking there hasn't been a single album from the 10s with fever ray being the latest release (2009?) to feature?

Hardly surprising when you have so many decades to choose from.

Yes. You could have changed it, but you didn't pass on a list and now we're left with Duran Duran.:p

• Advertisement

So Reberetta-will top10 be delayed at least till tomorrow?

12th 49 pts

Oasis
    What's The Story Morning Glory (1995)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/4
    Singles:  "Some Might Say","Don't Look Back in Anger"( no. 1)"Roll with It" , Wonderwall" (no. 2) "Champagne Supernova", Morning Glory.
    Nominated by Strawberry Milkshake, Necro, Y0ssar1an22, FHFM50
    It has sold over 22 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of all time.As of October 2018, it is the UK's fifth best-selling album and third best-selling studio album of all time, having sold over 4.94 million copies. It was also the UK's best-selling album of the 1990s.

In Britpop ..., Bennett and Stratton analysed Liam Gallagher's vocal style in significant detail, stressing its importance to the songs of the album; "[Liam's] Mancunian accent blends into a register and timbre that works the gestural contours of the melody and lyrics."

Bennett and Stratton went on to conclude that Liam's 'over-personalized' style on songs such as "Wonderwall" resulted in "a beautiful sense of sentimentality that bespeaks the despondency of a generation. This occurs through the narrative structure of the song, vocal production, and the conventions of the singer's cultural context."

Noel Gallagher summed up his own perspective on the album's aesthetic in an interview with Rolling Stone in 1995;

"Whilst [Definitely Maybe] is about dreaming of being a pop star in a band, What's the Story is about actually being a pop star in a band."

The album has a notable anthemic theme to its songs, differing from the rawness and edged rock of Definitely Maybe. The use of string arrangements and more varied instrumentation in songs such as "Don't Look Back in Anger" and "Champagne Supernova" was a significant departure from the band's debut.

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? was released to lukewarm reviews from the mainstream music press. Many contemporary reviewers expressed disappointment at the album's perceived inferiority to Definitely Maybe, taking aim at the "banal lyrics" and the unoriginal nature of the compositions.

David Cavanagh of Q magazine said of the lyrics: "They scan; they fill a hole; end of story. They [say] nothing much about anything." Andy Gill of The Independent commented that "She's Electric" is "laddism of a tiresomely generic kind", while "Roll with It" is "drab and chummy".

In Spin, Chuck Eddy wrote that the band had eschewed the "Bowie glitter" of their debut for "generic classic rock",while Chicago Tribune critic Greg Kot felt that they lacked a distinguishing "attitude" despite being "modestly tuneful".

Perhaps the most damning review came from David Stubbs of the now-defunct Melody Maker. Despite stating that "Some Might Say" was "the best single of the year", Stubbs went on to be critical of the album as a whole; "What's the Story [sounds] laboured and lazy. On this evidence, Oasis are a limited band ... they sound knackered."

NME was more enthusiastic, with the magazine's John Robinson writing that the album shows Oasis pursuing "an altogether different direction; away from the conscience-free overloaded hedonism towards an understanding of its consequences".

Rolling Stone's Jon Wiederhorn wrote that "What's the Story is more than a natural progression, it's a bold leap forward that displays significant musical and personal growth." He went on to note that the "stormy" relationship between Liam and Noel proved to be one of the album's strengths; "tension and instability have been inherent traits of great rock teams ... for Oasis, the addition of shared genes gives their songs extra impact and dimension."

Los Angeles Times critic Robert Hilburn welcomed the album as a counterpoint to the prevailing "despair" of the decade's rock music.

The album finished 10th in the voting for The Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop critics' poll. The poll's curator Robert Christgau initially assessed it as "phony Beatlemania";he later gave it a two-star honourable mention, indicating a "likeable effort that consumers attuned to its overriding aesthetic or individual vision may well enjoy", and quipped "give them credit for wanting it all—and (yet another Beatles connection!) playing guitars".

Track by track review.

Thirty five facts you probably didn't know about the album.

On the album's artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

So, Ten is in the top 10. :P
    crossed fingers,touching wood and all that jazz:P

Yes. You could have changed it, but you didn't pass on a list and now we're left with Duran Duran.:p

Duran ja who?:pac:

As I mentioned a short while ago, I possess that album! There are some good songs on it but I was a bit disappointed it with or I went off some of the songs.

So Reberetta-will top10 be delayed at least till tomorrow?

Yes, I had planned to breeze through but the proletariat demanded suspense, so I'll post one more and then tomorrow, Sunday 1pm, the top ten will come your way.

Probably not all that surprising. Albums from the 60's and 70's have had many years to reach a wide audience, passed through the generations.

Some of my personal favourite albums have been from the 2010's but they still need to age a little more to be among the best of ALL-time. Like fine wines. :cool:

Yes, I had planned to breeze through but the proletariat demanded suspense, so I'll post one more and then tomorrow, Sunday 1pm, the top ten will come your way.

That's when my nominations will appear in the countdown! :D

and all that jazz:P

Is this a clue that Miles Davis will feature? :P

• Advertisement

I love you :D

Time for my pills and me leaba :D

Advertisement