Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Reberetta wrote: »
    Yes. You could have changed it, but you didn't pass on a list and now we're left with Duran Duran.:p
    Will genuinely be annoyed with myself if my lack of voting prevents a deserved album from the past 10 years breaking into the top 50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

As I mentioned a short while ago, I possess that album! There are some good songs on it but I was a bit disappointed it with or I went off some of the songs.

Hey Now is a tad pedestrian, but overall, it's a magical album. Champagne Supernova is a delight to the ears, a closing wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Is this a clue that Miles Davis will feature? :P
    ha ha ha, right now I feel like David Bowie's laughing knome... who knows were the time goes... emmhh I mean who knows what the top ten might be after the last 40!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

speckle wrote: »
    ha ha ha, right now I feel like David Bowie's laughing knome... who knows were the time goes... emmhh I mean who knows what the top ten might be after the last 40!

There's a point. Not a single album by him yet.

There's a point. Not a single album by him yet.

Ziggy - has to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,888 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Lloyd Cole looks like a serious version of Jimmy Carr!

I can see that

I also forgot that I taped Parklife by Blur - my favourite tracks were the non-singles tracks. Some real gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

12th 49 pts

Oasis
    What's The Story Morning Glory (1995)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/4
    Singles:  "Some Might Say","Don't Look Back in Anger"( no. 1)"Roll with It" , Wonderwall" (no. 2) "Champagne Supernova", Morning Glory.
    Nominated by Strawberry Milkshake, Necro, Y0ssar1an22, FHFM50

Track by track review.

Thirty five facts you probably didn't know about the album.

On the album's artwork.

It's been said a lot and even ebove here, but this album is a tour de force and for me is better than Definitely, Maybe.

Still holds up spectacularly and find myself going back to it every so often.

some Might Say, Cast No Shadow and Champagne Supernova being my standouts on it.

A formative album for me, I think it and Jagged Little Pill, despite neither being nominated by me, will always remind me of the start of the teen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'd fancy Nirvana are going to make an appearance in the top ten too

It's been said a lot and even ebove here, but this album is a tour de force and for me is better than Definitely, Maybe.

Still holds up spectacularly and find myself going back to it every so often.

some Might Say, Cast No Shadow and Champagne Supernova being my standouts on it.

A formative album for me, I think it and Jagged Little Pill, despite neither being nominated by me, will always remind me of the start of the teen years.

I prefer Definitely Maybe as it has more of an edge to it.

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    I'd fancy Nirvana are going to make an appearance in the top ten too

I'd say you are right. I would hazard a guess at Nevermind.

11th  49 pts

Radiohead
    In Rainbows (2007)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/1
    Singles: Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Nude, House Of Cards/Bodysnatchers, Reckoner, All I Need
    Nominated by NapoleonInRags, FHFM50, Also Starring LeVar Burton, Homer J. Fong,

"This whole album just reminds me of my final year of college, and it got played a lot during that time."
    In Rainbows incorporates elements of art rock,experimental rock,art pop,and electronica. The opening track, "15 Step", features a handclap rhythm inspired by "**** the Pain Away" by Peaches. Radiohead planned to record handclaps by a group of children from the Matrix Music School & Arts Centre in Oxford;when the clapping proved "not quite good enough", they recorded the children cheering instead.

Radiohead recorded a version of "Nude" during the OK Computer sessions, but discarded it. The OK Computer version was inspired by Al Green, and featured a Hammond organ, a "straighter" feel, and different lyrics.During the early sessions for In Rainbows, Colin Greenwood wrote a new bassline for the song, which, according to Godrich, "transformed it from something very straight into something that had much more of a rhythmic flow".

Radiohead performed a song with the working title "Reckoner" in 2001. During the In Rainbows sessions, they abandoned the original "Reckoner" and created a new song with the same name. Yorke released the original song as a solo single, "Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses", in 2009.

"Bodysnatchers", a song Yorke described as sounding like Wolfmother and "Neu! meets dodgy hippy rock",was recorded when he was in a period of "hyperactive mania".On "All I Need", Jonny Greenwood wanted to capture the white noise generated by a band playing loudly in a room, a sound which never occurs in the studio. His solution was to have a string section play every note of the scale, blanketing the frequencies.

Yorke described the process of composing "Videotape" as "absolute agony", stating that the song "went through every possible parameter". One day, Yorke left the studio, and returned to find that Godrich and Jonny Greenwood had stripped the song down to a minimal piano ballad.

Yorke said that the In Rainbows lyrics are based on "that anonymous fear thing, sitting in traffic, thinking, 'I'm sure I'm supposed to be doing something else' ... it's similar to OK Computer in a way. It's much more terrifying."

He said that whereas Hail to the Thief was a "very angry" record, there was "very little anger in In Rainbows. It's in no way political, or, at least, doesn't feel that way to me. It very much explores the ideas of transience. It starts in one place and ends somewhere completely different."

In another interview, Yorke said the album was "about the ****ing panic of realising you're going to die! And that any time soon [I could] possibly [have] a heart attack when I next go for a run."

O'Brien described the lyrics as "universal. There wasn't a political agenda. It's being human".

The song "Bodysnatchers" is inspired by Victorian ghost stories, the 1972 novel The Stepford Wives and Yorke's feeling of "your physical consciousness trapped without being able to connect fully with anything else."

"Jigsaw Falling into Place" is about a set of observations and different experiences, partly of the chaos witnessed by Yorke when he used to go out on the weekend in Oxford. Yorke said "The lyrics are quite caustic—the idea of 'before you're comatose' or whatever, drinking yourself into oblivion and getting ****ed-up to forget ... [there] is partly this elation. But there's a much darker side."

The pay-what-you-want release, the first for a major act, attracted international media attention and sparked debate about the implications for the music industry.  U2 singer Bono praised Radiohead as "courageous and imaginative in trying to figure out some new relationship with their audience".

The release also drew criticism. Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails thought it did not go far enough, and accused Radiohead of using a compressed digital release as a bait-and-switch to promote a traditional record sale. Reznor independently released his sixth album Ghosts I–IV under a Creative Commons licence the following year.

Singer Lily Allen said the release was "arrogant" and sent a bad message to less successful acts, saying: "You don't choose how to pay for eggs. Why should it be different for music?"

Sonic Youth bassist Kim Gordon said the release "seemed really community-oriented, but it wasn't catered towards their musician brothers and sisters, who don’t sell as many records [as Radiohead]. It makes everyone else look bad for not offering their music for whatever."

Jon Dolan of Blender called In Rainbows a "far more pensive and reflective" album than Hail to the Thief, writing that it "formulates a lush, sensualized ideal out of vague, layered discomfort."

Spin's Mikael Wood felt that the album "succeeds because all of that cold, clinical lab work hasn't eliminated the warmth from their music",while Pitchfork's Mark Pytlik dubbed it a more "human" album that "represents the sound of Radiohead coming back to earth."

Robert Christgau, writing for MSN Music, gave In Rainbows a two-star honourable mention and noted that the album, having been developed in concert, was "more jammy, less songy and less Yorkey, which is good".

The Wire was more critical, finding "a sense here of a group magisterially marking time, shying away ... from any grand, rhetorical, countercultural purpose".

An ode to In Rainbows

In Rainbows experiment: did it work?

Did the In Rainbows honesty box actually damage the music industry?

I also forgot that I taped Parklife by Blur -
    You need to stop taping. It's illegal. Support struggling artists like Bono and Lars Ulrich.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Late to the party. No GnR yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Excellent! Didn't think so many of us would opt for In Rainbows, but delighted to see it rank so highly. 'Twas the soundtrack to my final year of college, just brings back class memories everytime I listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    Late to the party. No GnR yet?

With any luck they won't appear at all.

You need to stop taping. It's illegal. Support struggling artists like Bono and Lars Ulrich.

I’ll burn my “in concert” Dave Fanning tapes from the 80s so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

11th  49 pts

Radiohead
    In Rainbows (2007)

Nominated by Homer J. Fong
    I was right in my guess

This is my favourite too, but I must have picked the obvious one for them!

Kolido wrote: »
    Late to the party.

We got fun and games.
    No GnR yet?

No sir.

That's it from me today folks. Tomorrow Sunday 1pm, the top ten in twenty minute increments.

1pm No. 10

1.20pm No. 9

1. 40pm No. 8

etc...

4pm No. 1

You wanted suspense, you got suspense! :cool:

One MASSIVE album missed the cut. But which one?

I'm seriously worried about any of my nominations seeing the light of day!:o

• Advertisement

I suppose RAdiohead were inevitable - was hoping for an unpredictable top 10- not looking like that now so hoping my predictAble top —10 feature - have crossed off at least 2,already

;)e
    I'm seriously worried about any of my nominations seeing the light of day!:o

Give us an idea

That's it from me today folks. Tomorrow Sunday 1pm, the top ten in twenty minute increments.

1pm No. 10

1.20pm No. 9

1. 40pm No. 8

etc...

4pm No. 1

You wanted suspense, you got suspense! :cool:
    e?
    Oh you tease :P

Ziggy - has to be

I went with one of his more recent ones. Thinking that because he has recorded so many studio albums, and so many people prefer different era's of Bowie, he might not get into the top ten. but have a multitude of albums floating in space in the overalk list. Still hopeful against the odds.

I went with one of his more recent ones. Thinking that because he has recorded so many studio albums, and so many people prefer different era's of Bowie, he might not get into the top ten. but have a multitude of albums floating in space in the overalk list. Still hopeful against the odds.

Would it not be easier to just nominate your favourite ten albums? That's what I attempted to do!

Yeah, and I think this thread just shows why there are “Top 500” lists out there- the number of classic albums are growing year on year / very hard to choose 100 now no less 10

One MASSIVE album missed the cut. But which one?

Surely not? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He's impossible to pin.

My favourite Bowie song is not on an album (well...).

The Next Day and Black Star are as good as anything he ever did but too recent and need to percolate.

Reality falls down a bit but has New Killer Star which is class.

Let's Dance is my Favourite album, but then do I ignore the masterpieces that are Scary Monsters and Low?

He's an awful impossible bollox to refine.

Would it not be easier to just nominate your favourite ten albums? That's what I attempted to do!
    Some of us just lovvvve more than ten, many are members of the family.:eek:

• Advertisement

;)e

Give us an idea

Okay - here are some hints... or am I throwing in some red herrings??

An iconic album from the 1970s that is often mentioned by music critics.

An album involving: a well-known guitarist from an iconic 1980s band, and a singer/musician from a well-known band that came out of another band after the demise of its singer

Atmospheric, moody album from a Scottish outfit.

Prog-rock album featuring singer with a high falsetto, vocal harmonies and some church organ

The ultimate introspective flat-dwelling album from New York's unique singer/songwriter

The last album to fully feature the original classic four lineup of this popular in the' 70s group.

Raw exciting debut album of then teenagers before they conquered the world.

First solo album from introspective singer who bears a slight resemblance to a well-known comedian and presenter.

The second magnum opus for a band who sometimes are compared musically to a well-known world conquering band, but this one has its own charismatic singer.

Second album by an original singer who does their own choreography to their songs when performed.

Advertisement