Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Reberetta wrote: »
    We got fun and games.

No sir.

That's it from me today folks. Tomorrow Sunday 1pm, the top ten in twenty minute increments.

1pm No. 10

1.20pm No. 9

1. 40pm No. 8

etc...

4pm No. 1

You wanted suspense, you got suspense! :cool:

One MASSIVE album missed the cut. But which one?

Oh what a thrill in store for us. Thanks Reberetta really enjoyed this today.Roll on tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Didn't Lloyd Cole play left-back for Chelsea, Arsenal and England?

That was his brother, Ashley ! Seriously though, what sort of music fan hasn't heard of Lloyd Cole ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

trashcan wrote: »
    That was his brother, Ashley ! Seriously though, what sort of music fan hasn't heard of Lloyd Cole ?

Exactly!

Zaph wrote: »
    Well they were my number 1 pick, but I'm not massively hopeful of them making this list. But if Duran Duran can make it... :pac:

Duran Duran and no Talking Heads invalidates this list, sorry. I mean, Duran de fkin ran ! Come on people. What next, Kajagoogoo ?

electronic is one of the above Declan

Blue Nile another?

• Advertisement

speckle wrote: »
    electronic is one of the above Declan

Yeah, No 2. Blue Nile No 3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Atmospheric, moody album from a Scottish outfit.

I was tempted to nominate Wet Wet Wet myself too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I’ll burn my “in concert” Dave Fanning tapes from the 80s so

I have years of "Beat Box" and 2TV on VHS as well somewhere!

Automatic For The People... excellent choice, can't believe I forgot it when making my choices.

Not even REM's best album. ((That's Fables of the Reconstruction)

Reading these lists always makes me realise how out of step I am. When I see the likes of Def Leppard included..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We got fun and games.

No sir.

That's it from me today folks. Tomorrow Sunday 1pm, the top ten in twenty minute increments.

1pm No. 10

1.20pm No. 9

1. 40pm No. 8

etc...

4pm No. 1

You wanted suspense, you got suspense! :cool:

Massive Attack :P

• Advertisement

Reading these lists always makes me realise how out of step I am. When I see the likes of Def Leppard included..........

Did you nominate anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Raw exciting debut album of then teenagers before they conquered the world.

First solo album from introspective singer who bears a slight resemblance to a well-known comedian and presenter.

That's One Direction and Eminem covered so, nice on Declan :pac:

Thinking Yes or rush for the prog rock/falsetto/church organ

Nah, you just dance to your own tune...that's the gift of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

good thread so far :D

wonder if my name/nomination will be mentioned in the final 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

13th 46 pts

Metallica
    Metallica/Black Album (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 27/1/1
    Singles:  "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Sad but True"
    Nominated by FHFM50, Kolido, Sawduck, Y0ssar1an22

Eight facts about the album.

The epic story behind the album.
    Jase surprised by this...Their first 4 albums were better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Jase surprised by this...Their first 4 albums were better imo

Some of their biggest mainstream hits were on this album though.

Did you nominate anything?

Nah, I only noticed this thread today. I have my personal favourites, but they wouldn't really include many of the major artists (No Dylan, Stones, Springsteen or Duran Duran :p for me ). The exception would be the Beatles, because, well, its the bloody Beatles, so shut up ! Disagree with whoever it was said they were just a band. They were THE band. Basically invented the concept as we know it. Revolver was their strongest album for me.

Nah, I only noticed this thread today. I have my personal favourites, but they wouldn't really include many of the major artists (No Dylan, Stones, Springsteen or Duran Duran :p for me ). The exception would be the Beatles, because, well, its the bloody Beatles, so shut up ! Disagree with whoever it was said they were just a band. They were THE band. Basically invented the concept as we know it. Revolver was their strongest album for me.

I had written a missive in response... I refuse to be drawn into this wonderful row. :)

That being said, my favourite Beatles song is "Free as a Bird", take from that what you will.

And on it goes... Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That was me who said they were just a band.

I'd also like to clarify that I think they were the best band of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

20th 37 pts

Lloyd and the Commotions
    Rattlesnakes (1984)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/13/?
    Singles:"Perfect Skin" (#26 in UK), "Forest Fire" (#41 in UK) and "Rattlesnakes" (#65 in UK)
    Nominated by gammygills, Zaph, Hesh's Umpire

I'm genuinely delighted to see Rattlesnakes in the list, and pretty high up at that. It's an album that I was sure I'd be the only person nominating it. However I'm equally disappointed at how many people have never heard of Lloyd Cole and yet didn't question Fever Ray, whoever he is.

4bdb4854ca22bfd01fb6dc2d062f4c3822ab8a80c8535f2a754f2d4878472b9c.jpg
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Lloyd Cole a solo artist?

His first three albums were with The Commotions, after that he released all his albums as a solo artist.

I'm genuinely delighted to see Rattlesnakes in the list, and pretty high up at that. It's an album that I was sure I'd be the only person nominating it. However I'm equally disappointed at how many people have never heard of Lloyd Cole and yet didn't question Fever Ray, whoever he is.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/4b/4bdb4854ca22bfd01fb6dc2d062f4c3822ab8a80c8535f2a754f2d4878472b9c.jpg

His first three albums were with The Commotions, after that he released all his albums as a solo artist.

Kids these days eh?

Fever Ray is a she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Reading back on some potential listens.

Blur-Parklife. I like their greatest hits, never heard any of their studio releases.

Linkin Park-Meteora. Despite liking their first album I've never even listened to the follow-up.

Led Zeppelin debut album. I've never gotten Led Zep, Stairway aside.

Loveless by Bloody Valentine. Big influential Irish band, don't know a single song of theirs.

Queens Of the Stone Age-Songs for the deaf . The lost art of keeping a Secret is a song of theirs I like, so this could be good.

Bob Dylan-Blonde on Blonde. Not an artist I've explored.

Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder.

And lay off Duran Duran everybody. "Rio" rules.

Okay - here are some hints... or am I throwing in some red herrings??

The last album to fully feature the original classic four lineup of this popular in the' 70s group.

R-11189556-1512745452-9993.jpeg.jpg

Arghus wrote: »
    Fever Ray is a she.

thatsthejoke.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Exile on Main Street would be my Rolling Stones pick, but Let It Bleed is a fine album.

Second favourite for me with Some Girls on top

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Reading back on some potential listens.

Blur-Parklife. I like their greatest hits, never heard any of their studio releases.

Worth a wander through. Blur (self-titled) and 13 are worth the effort.
    Linkin Park-Meteora. Despite liking their first album I've never even listened to the follow-up.

Hybrid Theory is a gem. Listened to it for the first time in over a decade tonight, and it all came flooding back. Meteora is okay. But I think, age is the deciding factor here for me.
    Led Zeppelin debut album. I've never gotten Led Zep, Stairway aside.

Similar to yourself, however, When the Levee Breaks, for Bonham's drumming alone is worth adding to your rotation. Incredible song.
    Loveless by Bloody Valentine. Big influential Irish band, don't know a single song of theirs.

Loveless is a masterpiece. Sure I nominated it. Listen to "Soon" and "I Only Said" from it as they are the most accessible songs from the album.
    Queens Of the Stone Age-Songs for the deaf . The lost art of keeping a Secret is a song of theirs I like, so this could be good.

Lost art... is from the preceding album Rated R, so you should like Songs for the Deaf. TBH, listen to the first album called "Queens of the Stone Age", Avon and Regular john and The Bronze especially. "Go with the Flow" from Songs for the Deaf is the standout for me.
    Bob Dylan-Blonde on Blonde. Not an artist I've explored.

Eugh. Meh.
    Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder.
    Meh 2.0
    Yes.

Second favourite for me with Some Girls on top
    ii

Snigger :D

• Advertisement

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Never. DD were and are pure horse manure. Oh, and Paul Simon is a genius.

thatsthejoke.jpg

:D

Played like a fiddle.

This is what it's all about lads: the arguments.

Loveless is a masterpiece. Sure I nominated it. Listen to "Soon" and "I Only Said" from it as they are the most accessible songs from the album.

Sorry to say that Loveless does very little for me. And I like overwhelming, I like the mystique of the album, I even like the cover art - but I'm still on the outside with that album, it's never drawn me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

41st 24 Pts

Fever Ray
    Fever Ray (2009)

Finally, something decent. Enough dadrock.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Finally, something decent. Enough dadrock.

Even though I voted for it I was most definitely not expecting it make the top 50.

Maybe most of us voted for the same 30-35 albums and anything outside of that had maybe three or four votes had a chance of making up the lower reaches.

• Advertisement

Even though I voted for it I was most definitely not expecting it make the top 50.

Maybe most of us voted for the same 30-35 albums and anything outside of that had maybe three or four votes had a chance of making up the lower reaches.

Honestly, seeing that in there shocked me, as tbh, I would assume those that voted for it would likely have rated the likes of Silent Shout higher, all things being equal.

---

As an aside, I had OK Cowboy by Vitalic, Radiator by SFA and Faded Seaside Glamour by Delays in my Top 10. so it shows the impossible breadth of choice that Reberetta had to work with that for Fever Ray to make it was incredible.

I can't fault Silent Shout. It's a stunning album, definitely The Knife's best work, but there's a special mysterious dark atmosphere and cohesiveness to Fever Ray that sets it apart, in my view.

And I hated it at first. Which can frequently happen with albums I end up loving. Albums that reveal their brilliance, that make me work a bit, end up taking a special place in my heart.

I can't fault Silent Shout. It's a stunning album, definitely The Knife's best work, but there's a special mysterious dark atmosphere and cohesiveness to Fever Ray that sets it apart, in my view.

And I hated it at first. Which can frequently happen with albums I end up loving. Albums that reveal their brilliance, that make me work a bit, end up taking a special place in my heart.

Most of my favourites tend to be in that vein as well.

Crystal Castles I, Radiator, Era Vulgaris.

Silent Shout and Loveless on the other hand despite their reputations were instant loves.

What would we be without music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm guessing Dark Side of the Moon for this

As an aside, I had OK Cowboy by Vitalic, Radiator by SFA and Faded Seaside Glamour by Delays in my Top 10
    That's a great shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I've had just the one in the top 50, and it barely scrapped in. I can see maybe two from my list in the top 10, but you never know.

Some great ones that I probably should've included did make the list, and there are lots of albums that I've been meaning to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm enjoying reading posters' guesses about my nominations - some of them are a bit tongue in cheek (I hope!)! Won't reveal anything just yet.

Incidentally, I forgot that another album in my own collection was nominated earlier in the countdown - Joshua Tree by U2. it just goes to show how the interest has waned in that album, although it has a lot of good tracks on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Honestly, seeing that in there shocked me, as tbh, I would assume those that voted for it would likely have rated the likes of Silent Shout higher, all things being equal.
    Fever Ray > Silent Shout imo too. It may not be as seminal a piece of work but I adore it.

Very fond memories of the Oxegen show in 2009 which was stunning even though it felt like there was only a handful of people there.

Also I think the album spawned my favourite cover version of all time. I think both versions are phenomenal in their own way.

https://youtu.be/4F-CpE73o2M

https://youtu.be/WAs5y2lvO-Q

Edit:trying to embed videos while on mobile is a real pain, won't be trying that again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Thus far, besides the albums I nominated, Definitely Maybe is the album I admire most from the list.

It features the three greatest Oasis songs in my view: Live Forever, an outstanding timeless classic, the superb Supersonic and Bring It On Down, a middle finger in melody, my favourite track by the Mancunians.

Crunching guitars in a harmonious vein, anthemic stompers with attitude, simple but effective guitar solos, delivered with a hint of rebelliousness, sentimentality and humour and with Liam at his snarling best on vocals, I prefer the debut to the more acclaimed and best-selling follow-up What's The Story which, although brilliant in its own right, doesn't have the same menace of old-fashioned RAWK.

The sappy Cast No Shadow and the pedestrian Hey Now are a little limp, while the debut rocks along with emotion that doesn't meld into mundane mawkishness. I think there's more cohesion, force and energy about Definitely Maybe; a better flow to the structure of the songs, more life; less self-consciousness, maybe less pretention.

If the interludes-and they are interludes rather than genuine tracks- of The Swamp Song on WTSMG were deducted (and I could live without those segues as they interfere with the momentum of the album) one can even say that Definitely Maybe has more songs.

What's The Story might be like a skilful, jabbing boxer who jinks and jives his way to a points decision, but for me, Definitely Maybe is a no-frllls, brawler who comes out first round and tries to knock you flat on your face and doesn't care if you do the same to him.

Thinking about what my ideal combo of the albums would look like, I came up with the below.

1.Rock 'n' Roll Star
    2. Morning Glory
    3.Live Forever
    4. Up in the Sky
    5. Columbia
    6. Supersonic
    7. Bring It on Down
    8. Cigarettes & Alcohol
    9. Wonderwall
    10. Don't Look Back In Anger
    11. Champagne Supernova

P.S. I am aware that some of you think Oasis are just absolute pants.:P

I agree with you Reb, What's The Story has amazing high points but is nowhere near as solid and cohesive as Definitely Maybe.

Although the one I find myself going back to most these days is The Masterplan, the B-side collection from same era. There's some real gems on that. And no filler which is amazing, given they were B-sides

I've haven't heard The Masterplan.:pac:

[QUOTE=BonnieSituation;114740450

---

As an aside, I had OK Cowboy by Vitalic, Radiator by SFA and Faded Seaside Glamour by Delays in my Top 10. so it shows the impossible breadth of choice that Reberetta had to work with that for Fever Ray to make it was incredible.[/QUOTE]

I have literally never heard of any of these ( unless SFA is Super Furry Animals ? - have one album by them, Guerilla. Northern Lites is a fine song.) Is this what the young pups are listening to these days ?

I've haven't heard The Masterplan.:pac:
    I'd highly recommend it, if you like oasis of that era you'll love it

I haven't heard it in a long time but from memory

Radiohead The Bends

Many good songs.

The dreamy depressive opener Planet Telex, the biting bipolar rocker The Bends ending (almost, but not quite-it's Radiohead after all) on a high note.

The acoustic melancholic musings of High and Dry, the forsaken Fake Plastic Trees, the mortality anthem Bones, the wishful Nice Dream building to a crescendo of gut-wrenching yearning before settling down into the musical form of a sunset, lights going out on hope (remember again, it's Radiohead).

The story behind Just is the guitarist was challenged to fit as many chords into a song as possible. One of the finest Radiohead songs in terms of invention on guitar; a scolding, scorching rocker.

And the finale, just when you think you've reached the bottomest pit of hellish despair, along comes the gloomy Street Spirit, possibly the highlight of a soundtrack of sadness which would drive many people to suicide-if it wasn't so brilliant. :D

Marilyn Manson loves this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

This big album that wasn't nominated?
    Is it possible that a certain Seattle band have not been chosen by anyone :confused:
    No, on second thoughts never mind me, that is a crazy notion.
    Mind you...if it did happen it would be the ultimate example of the 'gas leak effect'.

The Smiths The Queen Is Dead

A consistently brilliant band who barely put a foot wrong, I nevertheless feel that The Smiths didn't release a truly epic album that would blow you away on its own. I honestly couldn't say what my top Smiths album would be; it's like they're all a continuation of the other.

I never felt any great seismic shift in direction, or dabblings in experimentation, whilst they didn't go in for conceptual double-albums designed to define a generation or culture. Morrissey didn't really bring out the horn section or get to work on a didgeridoo; although he did try a harmonica once, about as daring as the sedate Mancunian would be.

Having said that, Marr's genius on guitar resulted in some astounding atmospheric variety in tracks; How Soon Is Now? is dark and somewhat musical-logic defying and the song Barbarism Begins At Begins At home almost strays into a dance/disco territory to my ears.

But if the Smiths didn't invent genres or create a groundbreaking album that changed music forever, even if they were a little conventional and simplistic in their method, they were still stellar; stunning riffs, whether acoustic or electric, poetic lyrics painting a landscape, bleak but with a bounce of rock.

Speaking of The Queen Is Dead, which appeared previously on the list, Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Boy with the Thorn in His Side are highlights.

While There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, a wistful acoustic, stinged hymn for lonely, disenchanted youth, and Cemetary Gates, a mourning humourous melody on mortality, and my favourite Smiths song ever, are outstanding and out of this world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement