Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Reberetta wrote: »
    We got fun and games.

No sir.

That's it from me today folks. Tomorrow Sunday 1pm, the top ten in twenty minute increments.

1pm No. 10

1.20pm No. 9

1. 40pm No. 8

etc...

4pm No. 1

You wanted suspense, you got suspense! :cool:

One MASSIVE album missed the cut. But which one?

Oh what a thrill in store for us. Thanks Reberetta really enjoyed this today.Roll on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Didn't Lloyd Cole play left-back for Chelsea, Arsenal and England?

That was his brother, Ashley ! Seriously though, what sort of music fan hasn't heard of Lloyd Cole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

trashcan wrote: »
    That was his brother, Ashley ! Seriously though, what sort of music fan hasn't heard of Lloyd Cole ?

Exactly!

Zaph wrote: »
    Well they were my number 1 pick, but I'm not massively hopeful of them making this list. But if Duran Duran can make it... :pac:

Duran Duran and no Talking Heads invalidates this list, sorry. I mean, Duran de fkin ran ! Come on people. What next, Kajagoogoo ?

electronic is one of the above Declan

Blue Nile another?

• Advertisement

speckle wrote: »
    electronic is one of the above Declan

Yeah, No 2. Blue Nile No 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

Atmospheric, moody album from a Scottish outfit.

I was tempted to nominate Wet Wet Wet myself too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I’ll burn my “in concert” Dave Fanning tapes from the 80s so

I have years of "Beat Box" and 2TV on VHS as well somewhere!

Automatic For The People... excellent choice, can't believe I forgot it when making my choices.

Not even REM's best album. ((That's Fables of the Reconstruction)

Reading these lists always makes me realise how out of step I am. When I see the likes of Def Leppard included..........

• Registered Users Posts: 85,892 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We got fun and games.

No sir.

That's it from me today folks. Tomorrow Sunday 1pm, the top ten in twenty minute increments.

1pm No. 10

1.20pm No. 9

1. 40pm No. 8

etc...

4pm No. 1

You wanted suspense, you got suspense! :cool:

One MASSIVE album missed the cut. But which one?

Massive Attack :P

• Advertisement

Reading these lists always makes me realise how out of step I am. When I see the likes of Def Leppard included..........

Did you nominate anything?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Raw exciting debut album of then teenagers before they conquered the world.

First solo album from introspective singer who bears a slight resemblance to a well-known comedian and presenter.

That's One Direction and Eminem covered so, nice on Declan :pac:

Thinking Yes or rush for the prog rock/falsetto/church organ

Nah, you just dance to your own tune...that's the gift of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

good thread so far :D

wonder if my name/nomination will be mentioned in the final 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭thebronze14

13th 46 pts

Metallica
    Metallica/Black Album (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 27/1/1
    Singles:  "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Sad but True"
    Nominated by FHFM50, Kolido, Sawduck, Y0ssar1an22

Eight facts about the album.

The epic story behind the album.
    Jase surprised by this...Their first 4 albums were better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

Jase surprised by this...Their first 4 albums were better imo

Some of their biggest mainstream hits were on this album though.

Did you nominate anything?

Nah, I only noticed this thread today. I have my personal favourites, but they wouldn't really include many of the major artists (No Dylan, Stones, Springsteen or Duran Duran :p for me ). The exception would be the Beatles, because, well, its the bloody Beatles, so shut up ! Disagree with whoever it was said they were just a band. They were THE band. Basically invented the concept as we know it. Revolver was their strongest album for me.

Nah, I only noticed this thread today. I have my personal favourites, but they wouldn't really include many of the major artists (No Dylan, Stones, Springsteen or Duran Duran :p for me ). The exception would be the Beatles, because, well, its the bloody Beatles, so shut up ! Disagree with whoever it was said they were just a band. They were THE band. Basically invented the concept as we know it. Revolver was their strongest album for me.

I had written a missive in response... I refuse to be drawn into this wonderful row. :)

That being said, my favourite Beatles song is "Free as a Bird", take from that what you will.

And on it goes... Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That was me who said they were just a band.

I'd also like to clarify that I think they were the best band of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

20th 37 pts

Lloyd and the Commotions
    Rattlesnakes (1984)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/13/?
    Singles:"Perfect Skin" (#26 in UK), "Forest Fire" (#41 in UK) and "Rattlesnakes" (#65 in UK)
    Nominated by gammygills, Zaph, Hesh's Umpire

I'm genuinely delighted to see Rattlesnakes in the list, and pretty high up at that. It's an album that I was sure I'd be the only person nominating it. However I'm equally disappointed at how many people have never heard of Lloyd Cole and yet didn't question Fever Ray, whoever he is.

4bdb4854ca22bfd01fb6dc2d062f4c3822ab8a80c8535f2a754f2d4878472b9c.jpg
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Lloyd Cole a solo artist?

His first three albums were with The Commotions, after that he released all his albums as a solo artist.

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm genuinely delighted to see Rattlesnakes in the list, and pretty high up at that. It's an album that I was sure I'd be the only person nominating it. However I'm equally disappointed at how many people have never heard of Lloyd Cole and yet didn't question Fever Ray, whoever he is.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/4b/4bdb4854ca22bfd01fb6dc2d062f4c3822ab8a80c8535f2a754f2d4878472b9c.jpg

His first three albums were with The Commotions, after that he released all his albums as a solo artist.

Kids these days eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fever Ray is a she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Reading back on some potential listens.

Blur-Parklife. I like their greatest hits, never heard any of their studio releases.

Linkin Park-Meteora. Despite liking their first album I've never even listened to the follow-up.

Led Zeppelin debut album. I've never gotten Led Zep, Stairway aside.

Loveless by Bloody Valentine. Big influential Irish band, don't know a single song of theirs.

Queens Of the Stone Age-Songs for the deaf . The lost art of keeping a Secret is a song of theirs I like, so this could be good.

Bob Dylan-Blonde on Blonde. Not an artist I've explored.

Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder.

And lay off Duran Duran everybody. "Rio" rules.

Okay - here are some hints... or am I throwing in some red herrings??

The last album to fully feature the original classic four lineup of this popular in the' 70s group.

R-11189556-1512745452-9993.jpeg.jpg

Arghus wrote: »
    Fever Ray is a she.

thatsthejoke.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Arghus wrote: »
    Exile on Main Street would be my Rolling Stones pick, but Let It Bleed is a fine album.

Second favourite for me with Some Girls on top

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Reading back on some potential listens.

Blur-Parklife. I like their greatest hits, never heard any of their studio releases.

Worth a wander through. Blur (self-titled) and 13 are worth the effort.
    Linkin Park-Meteora. Despite liking their first album I've never even listened to the follow-up.

Hybrid Theory is a gem. Listened to it for the first time in over a decade tonight, and it all came flooding back. Meteora is okay. But I think, age is the deciding factor here for me.
    Led Zeppelin debut album. I've never gotten Led Zep, Stairway aside.

Similar to yourself, however, When the Levee Breaks, for Bonham's drumming alone is worth adding to your rotation. Incredible song.
    Loveless by Bloody Valentine. Big influential Irish band, don't know a single song of theirs.

Loveless is a masterpiece. Sure I nominated it. Listen to "Soon" and "I Only Said" from it as they are the most accessible songs from the album.
    Queens Of the Stone Age-Songs for the deaf . The lost art of keeping a Secret is a song of theirs I like, so this could be good.

Lost art... is from the preceding album Rated R, so you should like Songs for the Deaf. TBH, listen to the first album called "Queens of the Stone Age", Avon and Regular john and The Bronze especially. "Go with the Flow" from Songs for the Deaf is the standout for me.
    Bob Dylan-Blonde on Blonde. Not an artist I've explored.

Eugh. Meh.
    Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder.
    Meh 2.0
    Yes.

Second favourite for me with Some Girls on top
    ii

Snigger :D

• Advertisement

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Never. DD were and are pure horse manure. Oh, and Paul Simon is a genius.

Advertisement