Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My dog is 6 and I still can't trust her around the tree! 😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Oh. Haha! Our 3yr old (dog) is fine with it so hoping this guy will be too.

I love spending the next two months gradually getting all my Christmas stuff in.

I started a vegetable garden this year so now that M&S are not doing their food to order, am thinking of trying to make a full Xmas dinner from food I've grown in the garden.

I bought some Christmas themed wine glass tumblers from Carraig Donn. I've been buying bits of the collection each year- I almost have the full set now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Our mutt and kids never had anything other than a positive interest in the trees. Our mutt does savage our mint plants, we thought there was some terrible army caterpillars doing it until we caught her.

I noticed the Christmas themed magazines in the shops yesterday. We have had hamper delivered in the past from the UK, and have sent on some from the UK stores to relative in Ireland, however this year that is a no go. Should the ROI expect a reverse usual commuting consumers this year, with people from the north heading down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

€5 each in Dunnes for any Gaeilgeoirs out there, or they could make a lovely gift! I love the first one 🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

M&S in Liffey Valley have some of their nice Christmas tableware and cushions out on display as well as a couple of trees put up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Was in the Range yesterday and bought a pencil 6ft pre lit tree for 48 euro for the hall so very happy with this.

Also bought some more decorations and started on a few Santa bits for our two kids, by the way the "kids" are 19 and 27 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

Our new baby (4 legged, collie!!) will be 7mths by Christmas so we've no idea yet how a Christmas tree will fare with him. I think his puppy pen will be protecting the tree for a bit. Right now I think he'd destroy any decorations but hopefully we'll have him trained a bit better by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes, I was thinking the same about the puppy pen

Just back from a lovely family get together for my niece/goddaughter's confirmation. When we were going everyone was saying "see you at Christmas". That's how you know it's coming 😁..... soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,313 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I picked this up in Boots for €15 down from €30. It's very hard to get a male one of these generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Not sure about the Nordies coming down south however still plan to head up for our pre Christmas trip. Am just getting the days annual leave sorted today. The value and different range of items is not what it was a few years ago however it's as much about the day itself as the shopping.

Same, was at my BIL's house yesterday seeing their new little baby girl and we were arranging the Christmas get together for my OH family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We had a night out with my Sister & her family and over dinner we all agreed our christmas plans too... great to have it all nailed down as to who's coming to who & for what days etc. Feels good to have it all boxed off nice & early.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone

Wow it’s great to hear that see you at Christmas it makes me want to squeal

We went to Blanchardstown shopping centre yesterday it was so busy and we were there fairly early, went to Smyths and made a start on Santa for the bambino our first time doing Santa she will be 9 months then

thanks for the toys recommendations on here

I think I will order her remaining clothes online this week I don’t want to leave it too late

Finished the afternoon off with dinner out Turkey and Ham it was lovely

Elves have any of you changed your tree colour scheme in recent years? We had the same for ages I’m thinking I might change, some of my breakables I won’t put on the tree this year with the baby so I’m thinking a change plus redecorating most of the house?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I would love to do a proper Christmas scheme for my tree and decorations but I never really do. I stick to the messy, sentimental approach, almost everything no the tree and laid out throughout the house has a "Ah remember when we got this" story attached to it. Hard to let it go.

If I win the lotto I would have loads of trees and a fancy room decorated in a proper colour scheme almost straight out of a magazine haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My Mrs has our colour scheme nailed down, with no deviations permitted!! 😨😀

TBH previously when living with my folks & then by myself I always loved the quality street multi colour look, but I've gotten used to the more 'stylised' look and quite like it now, people visiting always comment on it so what do I know eh?? It does make decorating a longer task than before (scatter gun approach worked fine for me previously 🤣) but with christmas fm on in the background its all good... takes a full day to do it all now & dread taking it all down and packing it away.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Called down home at the weekend and the mammy had bought us a Milkybar advent calendar....she knows us so well 😁 She also bought our little boy a gorgeous Christmas jumper!

Have started picking up a few bits. Ordered a balance bike for little man- thanks for the recommendations from here 😁 Just need to get a helmet now and a few stocking fillers.

Really want to be sorted early, don't fancy the busyness of the shops come December!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend 😊

I could have written this!! My job in the decorating is to get the boxes down from the attic and get the tree home. The OH has a place for everything and a colour scheme for each room. In fairness the place always looks amazing and anyone who is ever in the house say so, so happy to leave her to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^^Ditto DVB. I love teh Quaility street colourted tree. My Mrs has a system!! She lets me and the elves decorate it with her to keep us happy, then does it all again

• Registered Users Posts: 30,313 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Our main tree is multi coloured. We've a second tree in our hall that's blue, white and Silver. We ended up with the second tree bceause we ran out of space in the first one.

I ordered a L'Occitane Advent calendar for my mother for €65. It will be her first Advent calendar I'd say. It will be one of her Birthday Presents because she's 60 in November. I just hope it doesn't arrive in a big L'Occitane box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone see the Foil, Arms and Hogg sketch where the mother allows the son to decorate the tree? It's brilliant.

We're very much a sentimental tree household. Every decoration has a story and we have our tree since we bought our first house in 2007. Every year we say we'll replace it and every year we put the old one back up for "one more year" 😂

We're now a good bit into getting stuff for the kids. Just have a nagging fear there will be shortages in a month or two.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love foil, arms and Hogg. They are spot on in most of their sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope McDonald's bring back the celebrations mcflurry and the double Big Mac which got a bit of a slating for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thanks everyone for the feedback Re tree themes,

@Loughc yeah I am the same myself I have a lot of decorations from various places we have visited and knew I have gotten as gifts

I will probably stick with the same as usual as I love all my little Santa, Snowman etc I have around the tree

Im raging I was just about to put an order in for Christmas outfits for the baby and every single outfit I wanted are gone in the size I wanted, I don’t normally dilly dally but she is so long I wanted to measure her to the get right size 😧 hopefully they come back into stock plus there is 20% off

One of my favorite decoration is Santa on a surfboard that we got in Haiti on our honeymoon. It's probably the only 'off style' decoration that makes it into the main room 😂

Quality street tree here too. Decorations made by the kids over the years plus ones we bought in different places, some that my mother in law made, etc.

Boards 1 Facebook empire 0.

who saw that coming 3 months ago 😂😂

Hahaha. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Got fired today for looking for another job. Two kids under six and a wife on maternity leave.

Gonna be a great Christmas.

Sorry to had to vent, fcuked up country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

That sucks, but sometimes these things happen for a reason and a better job will be right around the corner. Means little now I get that but things usually work out for the best, fingers crossed for you.

Advertisement