Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah the present like a bottle of wine handed over in a brown paper bag or whatever, smacks of zero thought and effort put in - last minute dot com stuff :/

the worst I saw was a friend of mine who’s vegan and has been for years got a sort of Christmas presentation box of different types of little jars of pâté from a so called good friend of hers

she couldn’t eat them obviously and the gift giver seemed to either not care or didn’t even know she was vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭DvB

How can you not know if a friend or family member has been a vegan for years? Fair enough if you're new to it, but years!? Brutal.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My Aunt has her Christmas wreath on the front door.

I'd say the neighbours are giving her mad looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Xmas jumper arrived today. Its a mix between a Xmas jumper and novelty all year round jumper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You would make a great sales person😆

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've built this years Lego Winter Village set. Now sitting on the mantlepiece; but I usually put them across the bookcases under the window in the living room - the tree goes in the kitchen/diner so we need something in the living room.

I'm going to see if I get away with adding another one a week from the back catalogue (I have six or seven I think).

I've also just realised that the set from two years ago, which is one of the few I'm missing, is still available. Probably on sale until March - ordered now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have to say I didn’t like it in the website photo but that’s pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Went around and hung up a few posters in work to advertise the staff Christmas party.

Everyone hoping it goes ahead as a normal social event and a real buzz for it, a lot of people saying they are def going this year.

Aldi was fairly well stocked this evening this evening with Christmas stuff.

I also noticed there meats were moving towards more Wintery type meals.

• Advertisement

Happy October everybody.

I think it's the month after next.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

wow. How is it October already.

Last out of season month until February 😃😃😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy October Elves

heating on here most mornings but it felt extra cosy this morning with the autumn sunshine shinning in, it seems to be windy out so I’d say it’s crisp we haven’t ventured outside yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

When do "Christmas Experience" type things typically release information? Looks like the Aliwee Caves aren't bothering this year and I'd imagine there'll be others who do the same. I was pricing Elf Town in Galway and it looks like it'll be about €150 for us this year which is a bit expensive for what you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Bookings for Causey Farms christmas experience is open.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Most who are doing anything this year I would say are open by now. I know Christmas Island in Hidden Valley is taking bookings (and is pretty full already!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ya I thought that'd be the case alright. We were at Hidden Valley before alright and the kids loved it. Looking at keeping it local-ish this year with other commitments so we can go pick a tree etc that day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, it's October 1st so happy 2021 to everyone and I'm back on board for another run in to Christmas.

Hope everyone has had as good a year so far as possible.

From my own point of view, we've been lucky with how we've got through the year with no Covid and the only bad thing being one of the pets died last week. I have a major change coming up with starting a new job in mid November (just in time for the build up to Christmas but a bit sad I'll miss the work party with my current company).

We've started some of the shopping for the kids, particularly given that stuff may be delayed this year or potential shortages.

Really glad to be back on this particular forum and looking forward to all the fun chats and positivity for the next 3 or so months ♥️😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good to have you back Heroditas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I know we have some Christmas duvet fans here- George at Asda are now shipping some homeware here. Their duvets are really nice! https://global.direct.asda.com/george/home/bedding/D26M04,default,sc.html?cm_sp=Mobile-_-grghome-ie-_-george-_-tier1_block1-_-210921link01bedding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For those with a Nest doorbell, check your app as they have activated spooky sounds for your doorbell tone/theme.

Just switched ours on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Watching Gogglebox and there was a Christmas ad on during the break 😍. It was a buy early for Christmas with the sone "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Have you got a pic of it built? I've bought it as a present and it arrived today...have had to squirrel it away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Was out around this morning noticed these magazines......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just ordered this for my front post and rail fence as you drive in,

Now beginning to have second thoughts worried people might start pulling in thinking its some sort of garden centre😄

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clocks going forward (or back?) Halloween is strange

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fire lit for the first time tonight. Not expecting too many more years of solid fuel being OK, and in this house (early 70s!) it only heats the living room so its reserved for weekends only as a decorative thing

The Range has all their area set up for Christmas product now but still a lot of gaps. They are not coping with Brexit related issues that well although there was clearly more stock in the shop this week than many weeks recently. Food products still the worst hit.

I can get a pic but it really just looks like the pics on the back of the box. People have asked me for pics of the full setup, so if I remember I'll get one when the second set is built and up with it.

The tree lights up when you push down on the top, which definitely looks more special when seen from below like a kid might if the tree is on a mantel and you press it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all. Starting to think about Christmas now. Mark's and Spencer are not doing their food to order this year, so disappointed. They will still be selling in store, but I loved being able to order it ahead of time and just pick it up on the day.

We have a brand new pup so trying to think how we will manage putting the tree up and keeping our sanity. Maybe he will have done a lot of growing up over the next two months

• Advertisement

Ended up getting some of Lidl's processed wood scrap "logs" for that fire - "Flamers" is the slightly tittersome brandname.

They seem to be somewhat perfumed, unintentionally I'd guess. Smell lovely. Dear for what they are though.

Advertisement