Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wow 3 months away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Very misty morning here. Reminds me of this song. It's originally a carol that's sung around Christmas time but it's not 100% full on Christmas which makes it perfect for days like today.

https://youtu.be/yRQ_FoeFO3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I love that song.

Tuned in to Great! Movies Christmas last night and watched my first Christmas movie of the season. Need to start getting the cakes and puddings sorted soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

In the bleak midwinter is a classic... very common in Carol services/shows... have heard it sung live a few times and it can make the hairs on your neck stand... beautiful song.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I like the sentiment of the song 😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just flipping back to the shortage conversation as the U.K. are all over social media at the moment.

The reason why U.K. are struggling and we won’t is 80% of their lorry drivers were European who have now been refused work visas. Brexit is coming back to haunt them.

Their loss is our gain as our suppliers and drivers will be called upon and we pull more tax back into our exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Had the tv on earlier this evening while on the laptop not really paying attention until my attention was drawn to the Christmas tune with familiar words as per the thread title "It's beginning to look at lot like Christmas". Was some UK advert for Studio.co.uk. That just made my Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just saw the same ad while I was Christmas shopping 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You do know there is a shortage of drivers here too we are desperately trying to hire drivers from Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There really isn’t. We have the highest uptake of lorry drivers in Europe. Most of our drivers are also European but they’re free to work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just ordered this from Dunnes. Only €10 and I absolutely love it!!😊

Oh that’s a beauty!

Can’t believe we’re into the 80’s tomorrow 😳😳😱😱

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Range say they are getting their Christmas stock, that will be their UK stores but hopefully we are not far behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was in The Range Waterford Wednesday they were putting some stock out then, hopefully they will be putting more out in a couple of weeks, looking for 480 lights for a tree outside i know half stopped working last year, seem to have to buy new sets every year quality not as good anymore.

The range Coolock has their Christmas stock in 😃😃

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

In the range in liffey Valley earlier today, not gonna lie, bought some Christmas stuff... Will be back in 2 weeks when they expect to have their full range in.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

No Christmas stuff for sale here yet. I am toying with buying this though. The OH is not so keen. Its 2.2m long and 1.4m high and has an LED light inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the Eighties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Wow Rudolph day has passed and we are into the eights the hype is getting real!!

how was everyone’s weekend ? We didn’t get up to much out for walks some dinner out, watching Ryder Cup and some online browsing for a Christmas Day outfit for my little one

My pal bought my little baby girl her first Christmas decoration she got her initial it’s fab

gorgeous Jellybear!!

DvB do tell of your purchases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Just heard Ad on radio for Gaiety Panto ! Tickets on sale this week

I got an absolute hankering for some Christmas music this morning. ChristmasFM classical might be getting a spin today.

Had a great w/e ourselves, all went to plan on the sporting front too which is always nice!! In the range we got a large standing cuddly reindeer complete with hat & scarf, my son fell in love with him so we just had to have him. We also picked up 1000 mixed white LED lights for our external christmas tree, we were originally going to go for the quality street multi colour look (to match the bushes at the front of the house) but they had them out on display & the mixed whites looked fantastic so the Mrs insisted we get them instead. We let the kids pick up a new bauble each as well for the tree (we do that every year) and I picked up a couple of small bits to add to my home office... felt I was light in there last year & needed some more christmas decor to brighten it up for the days I'm WFH in the run up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

DvB, you've reminded me of a lovely tradition- getting a new bauble for the kids each year 😊 I know a couple of posters are celebrating their baby's first Christmas so I'd definitely recommend starting this tradition.

I try to go with something he's interested in each year, so this year I got a gorgeous wooden train one as he loves Thomas the Tank Engine but I couldn't find anything reasonably priced so a wooden one it is 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Well it's lovely to be back in this forum, It's kinda going to be an odd Christmas this year for me, pretty sure its the last year of Santa arriving as my youngest just turned 12 and into secondary school next year and all going well its the last Christmas in our home of the last 15 years, and with missing most of Christmas last year due to being close contacts, I think I really need to cheerish this Christmas more then ever. Anyways great to be back and looking forward to chatting all things Christmas the next 3 months....

You're lucky to have lasted this long LS. Our two turn 11 in January and this is the first year they're 'aware' following a campaign of sorts by some of their classmates who decided it was time everyone knew the truth... many a parent on the class whatsapp group went crazy over it. So it seems last year unbeknown to us at the time was our last christmas with 2 believers!!

In saying that I still tell them that I believe in Christmas & the spirit of it etc. and that they can too & that we'll still celebrate it with the same gusto every year so it doesnt have to change & be any less of a celebration. So far they seem well up for it so we're back on track as far as I'm concerned... though they did draw the line at visiting santa or going to one of the santa experiences or suchlike, but we're going the wild lights at Dublin zoo in its place & will make as big a deal of the day as we did previously with the santa experience ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Oh Man thats a shame, very hard for them not to hear anything in School and we are probably being naïve in thinking she still believes but until she tells us otherwise let the magic continue. Your dead right to about making the same fuss about the occasion, so what if they know, the magic should never be diluted, and if anything should mean so much more as everybody will now be aware just how much hard work you have put in over past years.

Advertisement