Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just finished reading the M&S Christmas food catalogue. I'm now very festively hungry :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I bought mince pies in Aldi earlier for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I have no interest in outdoor lights and stuff like that but would it be worth a trip just for indoor decorations and such?

It is so worth the visit, if you've never been I have to tell you it's big.
    My wife said you could almost be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff to go through and look at so I would say go with a list of what your looking for.
    They have everything from a couple of euro to a couple of grand.

Don't know if they have a video tour of the shop or not but go and hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

SarahLil wrote: »
    Its great isn't it, I picked up a few things over the years, in 2010 snow I worked not far from there and we took a detour home it was amazing especially as it was snowing outside and we were finishing for Christmas holidays

I got my mam a nativity picture that lights up everyone always admires it when the come by the house, I have never seen another since

I have been going there a few years now (live in Ashbourne) and I know that they have tried to create a one way system what with Covid but I have never seen it so big as this year.

I was talking to the owner and he said he has bought about 5 years worth of stock this year.

My wife said we should come back in January and get some real bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Have decided to put up my Christmas tree in the next 3 weeks. I’ll lock the doors to the lounge so that the kids don’t see, and we won’t turn it on till December but as I’m awaiting a new arrival mid December I need to get my ass in gear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You can still be part of the toy show audience this year in a virtual sense and tickets are up for grabs.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/heres-how-to-apply-for-a-spot-in-the-late-late-toy-shows-virtual-audience-39606498.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I love when I see these stands in the shops!
    120931954_2764701113852492_970603843563989701_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=MKMuo_LHs98AX_mEvgB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=83f2329c952d2e9bb895847bff5a761d&oe=5FA67EE3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I meant to buy fruit and make a Christmas cake this year, but the weeks got away from me, and I fear that it might be too late now! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Not at all too late. ‘ Midterm break ‘ cakes here and they are always fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I would love to try make a pudding I have no family recipes to follow and wouldn't know where to start

My grandad had recipes for pudding and Christmas cakes his family were very good cooks, big regret we never got any of them he passed when I was 8 years of age I lived with him since the day I was born
    I think even then he knew I had a love of Christmas back then, when he got sick his only wish was not to pass away at Christmas or be not himself, he just want a great last Christmas so he wouldn't ruin Christmas's to come for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I would love to try make a pudding I have no family recipes to follow and wouldn't know where to start

My grandad had recipes for pudding and Christmas cakes his family were very good cooks, big regret we never got any of them he passed when I was 8 years of age I lived with him since the day I was born
    I think even then he knew I had a love of Christmas back then, when he got sick his only wish was not to pass away at Christmas or be not himself, he just want a great last Christmas so he wouldn't ruin Christmas's to come for me

Every Sunday we used to go to my nana's for tea. And I helped her in the kitchen making the scones/buns/mini bakewells, etc. Then I'd get to help with the Christmas cake and pudding too. She passed away when I was 13, 30 years ago, and last weekend I made the Christmas cake with her handwritten recipe (they taught real handwriting back then) and even made it in the same mason cash mixing bowl (it made its way down to me recently) that she used when she taught me to bake, must be 50 years old at least. It always feels special and always takes me back to her kitchen and those Sunday afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

After seeing the article on the Indo website this morning with Leo saying we may still need Level 5, I'm strongly tempted to stick Johnny Mathis on the player and feel a little bit of Mame this morning!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heroditas wrote: »
    After seeing the article on the Indo website this morning with Leo saying we may still need Level 5, I'm strongly tempted to stick Johnny Mathis on the player and feel a little bit of Mame this morning!

I say after reaching 1,000 cases so soon I think level 5 is a certainty now. Hopefully sooner the better a short tough lockdown and then reopen everything with plenty of time before Christmas.

If they leave it drag out before the press the lockdown button it will cause Christmas havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Whatever they're planning they need to communicate it clearly as soon as possible so people can.prepare and try and avoid all out panic. All the rumours being generated in that kind of vacuum just exacerbate the situation, between schools, shops, off licences etc I've heard all kinds of rumours and 'leaks' this weekend with little coming from the authorities to address the concerns of the public because of it.
    Communication, delivered clearly and quickly is key imo. Otherwise there'll be all kinds of panic, outrage and despair.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Christmas Market bits in Lidl on Thursday

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/christmas-market/c1322/w2

Christmas Market bits in Lidl on Thursday

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/christmas-market/c1322/w2

A lot of that is already in my local Lidl, arrived during the week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Loughc wrote: »
    You can still be part of the toy show audience this year in a virtual sense and tickets are up for grabs.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/heres-how-to-apply-for-a-spot-in-the-late-late-toy-shows-virtual-audience-39606498.html

Sadly more scarce then gold dust, unless you have RTE connections.

That myth is not true on 2 levels as I know plenty of people who got tickets who deffo don’t have RTÉ connections and I have 2 RTÉ connections one being an on air talent/radio DJ and I still haven’t bagged a ticket.

They have a strict no ticket policy to RTÉ employees for the toy show.

tscul32 wrote: »
    A lot of that is already in my local Lidl, arrived during the week.

I will hold off making a trip to Lidl or Aldi for awhile I would prefer to go and get a good few bits in one swoop I don’t want to be going to the shops unnecessarily

I can’t understand why there isn’t more stock everywhere at the moment
    I know I am not the only one who doesn’t want to be going unnecessarily
    They are urging people to shop early but there is very little there
    I haven’t seen wrapping paper or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I will hold off making a trip to Lidl or Aldi for awhile I would prefer to go and get a good few bits in one swoop I don’t want to be going to the shops unnecessarily

I can’t other stand why there isn’t more stock everywhere at the moment
    I know I am not the only one who doesn’t want to be going unnecessarily
    They are urging people to shop early but there is very little there
    I haven’t seen wrapping paper or anything

I was talking to a cashier in Dunnes, she told me they are getting half the amount of deliveries they usually get.
    There are going to be supply chain issues this year, regardless of what retailers are telling us.
    I also think they got burned with summer stock they could not sell, and I’d say they’ve pared right back on Christmas stock this year.

• Advertisement

If that was the case Miriam O'Callaghan's children and their friends would fill the place!

screamer wrote: »
    I was talking to a cashier in Dunnes, she told me they are getting half the amount of deliveries they usually get.
    There are going to be supply chain issues this year, regardless of what retailers are telling us.
    I also think they got burned with summer stock they could not sell, and I’d say they’ve pared right back on Christmas stock this year.

Trust me when I say stock isn’t the issue. Every warehouse on this island is full to the brim with stock. I work in finance in retail and the company I work for has €20m extra more stock this year when compared to last year.

We were told we would need to go 3 months with zero supply chain before stock would become an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

That myth is not true on 2 levels as I know plenty of people who got tickets who deffo don’t have RTÉ connections and I have 2 RTÉ connections one being an on air talent/radio DJ and I still haven’t bagged a ticket.

They have a strict no ticket policy to RTÉ employees for the toy show.

Perhaps.

I know LOADS of people who have been applying for years and havn't had a sniff, in fact dont know anyone who has ever got a ticket. You must know some very lucky people!

Anyway, back on track, was in Dunnes Connelscourt this morning about half 9....place is open 7am to 11pm daily and it was very busy with lines at the checkouts down the aisles.

Trust me when I say stock isn’t the issue. Every warehouse on this island is full to the brim with stock. I work in finance in retail and the company I work for has €20m extra more stock this year when compared to last year.

We were told we would need to go 3 months with zero supply chain before stock would become an issue.

Is it Christmas stock they have tough?

I know we're fine for food, toiletries, etc but will small places be stocked as well with decorations, cards, wrapping paper, etc this year?

Perhaps.

I know LOADS of people who have been applying for years and havn't had a sniff, in fact dont know anyone who has ever got a ticket. You must know some very lucky people!

Anyway, back on track, was in Dunnes Connelscourt this morning about half 9....place is open 7am to 11pm daily and it was very busy with lines at the checkouts down the aisles.

When over 200k people applying every year and only 100pairs of tickets up for grabs of course you’re going to know loads of people who never win. I know more people who haven’t won tickets 100 fold than I do know who did win.

Clearly you never read the toy show thread here when one of our very own elves won tickets to the show (with no RTÉ connections)

Is it Christmas stock they have tough?

I know we're fine for food, toiletries, etc but will small places be stocked as well with decorations, cards, wrapping paper, etc this year?

Both Christmas and non Christmas stock.

Perhaps.

I know a couple of people have been on it and they definitely have no connections. One of them it was her first time applying and she just got lucky. I remember it was a sh!t year for 'one for everyone in the audience' and the stuff she got was pretty poor. But she did get to play a game on stage and make an @rse of herself so there's always that! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

297115.jpg

I was in our local Tesco this morning, has a small F&F section. In the kids section, bigger boys, they had one style of Christmas jumper and a cute elf long sleeved tee, and one other thing, can't remember exactly, but that was all the Christmas I saw in the whole clothing section, just 3 items.
    They have a seasonal aisle but just Halloween at the moment and a few tubs of sweets. Hoping that'll be converted on Nov 1st.
    I feel that we all need a little cheering up and some festive goods in the shops would do it for me.

• Advertisement

My local Tesco did a revamp in January. They extended the clothes and cutback on homeware items.
    The intention was to put a lot of the tubs, biscuits, etc in the entrance lobby and other places in the shop and this isn’t possible now with the entrance system they put in place.

Advertisement