Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i,m not saying there are not nice northern irish accents,
    liam neeson has a nice accent.
    i mean for example trade union leaders or unionists would be interviewed
    on the news and there accents were fairly rough .
    its probably a working class urban northern irish accent

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There is a difference betgween a dublin accent - and then just speaking badly. I know plenty of people with Dublin accents but they use the language correctly - but the stereotype of a harsh Dublin accent is unable to pronounce 'th' -e.g: dis, dat, dese and does etc. Tree insstead of Three. Then bad grammar like I seen, I done, I does be etc. Why don't they don't teach this in schools??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is "Dub action", heroin?

More likely they travel up for a trip on the train, a few bits in Penneys (3 euro, I know, some value!), to hear the words yizzer and inallinanyways a few times and so they can tell the girls at home what a hole Dublin is when they head back to Tractor Land.

^ the lads don't like it that the girls like the Dub accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Zascar wrote: »
    There is a difference betgween a dublin accent - and then just speaking badly. I know plenty of people with Dublin accents but they use the language correctly - but the stereotype of a harsh Dublin accent is unable to pronounce 'th' -e.g: dis, dat, dese and does etc. Tree insstead of Three. Then bad grammar like I seen, I done, I does be etc. Why don't they don't teach this in schools??

Yes. RTE seems to use words incorrectly very often. Like 'very concerning' or 'infamous' and 'presently'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No man. They just shag other boggers. You got no frontage.
    Ya, it takes more than a bag of chips for Bridie to spread them unlike Jacinta who will do anything for a doner kebab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

riclad wrote: »
    i,m not saying there are not nice northern irish accents,
    liam neeson has a nice accent.
    i mean for example trade union leaders or unionists would be interviewed
    on the news and there accents were fairly rough .
    its probably a working class urban northern irish accent

Thats because of the sittyashun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Edgware wrote: »
    Thats because of the sittyashun sit-che-ay-shun.

FYP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm not a fan but Martin King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is it 'inallinanyways' or 'inallinalleyways'? I've always wondered but never asked.

'inallinannyways' is how I hear it, it is a beautiful sound especially when a strung out fellow does it in slow motion. Takes about 5 seconds to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

And Nicky Byrne has an accent

• Advertisement

That's an accent. Often an accent involves mispronunciation. People in the West often pronounce it "Whest" Cork people often pronounce it "Cark". Most people with accents went to school and were indeed taught how to speak, but they still have accents. The Dublin accent is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm the only person in my WhatsApp group who knows the difference between they're and there. You're and your etc. Same goes for social media. I see similar things all over Facebook and Instagram from people I know and randomers on FM104 discussion's etc.

Myself and one of my cousins are the only ones in the immediate family without a typical Dublin accent. I think partly why I don't speak like them is that I did a lot of traveling and have foreign friends. They're not exposed to anything but other Dubs wheras I have to speak more neutral.

I still can't for the life of me get rid of the see, dis, day and I just can't say me instead of my. Not saying those words that way really feels alien to me :D but foreign people can easily enough understand me yet almost need someone to translate whatever my brother or some other family members say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I hate how Irish people are so culturally ashamed that even in 2020 we have this idea that there is a 'proper' way to speak.

I have cousins in the poshest part of England- Most of the words they say don't even sound like the words that they're trying to pronounce.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm the only person in my WhatsApp group who knows the difference between they're and there. You're and your etc. Same goes for social media. I see similar things all over Facebook and Instagram from people I know and randomers on FM104 discussion's etc.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ;)

I'm using that term loosely :D

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm using that term loosely :D

With an apostrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Phil Lynott had a great old school style of Dublin accent. Sounded cool, intelligent, genuine and authentic all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Lottie Ryan is the worst accent in media, I have to turn off whenever I hear it. posh D4 accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

You can have a regional accent as long as it's not too strong look at UK TV most presenters have a vague neutral accent

It used to be called the BBC accent you won't get on TV news or current affairs if you have a working class accent and you must be able to pronounce words properly

Most presenters are middle class anyway

actors and comedians can have a working class accent. Joe Duffy is the exception to the.rule

I read Americans watch some Irish TV dramas with subtitles on as they cannot understand the regional accents

Brendan o Connor has a cork accent he had a TV show on rte years ago

The point of a neutral accent is that everyone can understand what you are saying maybe part of a presenters training is to develop a neutral accent

There's a basic Irish middle class accent anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

That guy that was on Prime Time a few years ago had the perfect Dublin accent, not an over the top Howya but normal Dublin accent.

Can't think of his name, hope he hasn't lost the accent now!

i adore Liam Nesson accent and the way he never really changes it not matter what film he is in. One-of my all time favourite is when he says in Love Actually ,'Don't be such an arse' in that Northern Ireland lilt.

He probably can't do other accents that's why they just leave him be!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You do hear some, Danny Dyer and Bradley Walsh present TV shows. Stacey Dooley, although I think she's Essex. Jonathon Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Most people in this country are working class so your comment is ignorant and snobby to the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah but they have working class accents, was my point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I think his name is Mark Coughlan. I remember thinking the same thing, how odd it was to hear a real Dublin accent on Primetime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement