Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

mariaalice wrote: »
    I work in what is considered a very working-class part of north side Dublin and the accents are varied among the locals.

What you seem to mean is why we don't hear a nasily (often associated with jukies ) Dublin accent but the thing is, it's a miniorth accent in Dublin and is of recent origant.
    I know ...its where my family are from.

But its not Brid Smith is it?

A lot of RTE Dubliners exaggerating the posh accent seem to come from the Northside. It is as if they have an inferiority complex and are so desperate to elevate themselves from the Northside stereotype (Caitriona Perry, Dermot Bannon, Aengus Mac Grianna etc).
    Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You here Gino Kenny as having a middle-class southside accent?

According to Wikipedia, he has been living in the middle-class southside area of Neilstown since he was 7.

According to Wikipedia, he has been living in the middle-class southside area of Neilstown since he was 7.

I have a good ear. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have a good ear. ;)

Either you are desperate to be right.

Or

You are joking

Or

You are showing up your own predigist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0124/1110569-mind-your-language/

This is an interesting piece from the AR-TEE-EE archives. Late late show in 1985. Yer man with the answers isn't a bit endearing but it illustrates the point about where th e RTE accent comes from.

Some of the media courses in universities used to teach the Dublin media accent as part of presentation skills

This is a beautiful perfect precious strong Dublin accent. :)

God bless it and preserve it!

Whatever about the accent shes another professional dub who hams it up for the Irish media. Sure Coddle and me Ma, Pat, and the King crisp sangwiches.

Either you are desperate to be right.

Or

You are joking

Or

You are showing up your own predigist.

No I just know accents. And since most of my family have different northside accents as they live in ...liberties ..tallaght finglas and cabra I am familiar with them.

Yes I know not everyone from Tallaght has that accent ...but my family do.

Bambi wrote: »
    Whatever about the accent shes another professional dub who hams it up for the Irish media. Sure Coddle and me Ma, Pat, and the King crisp sangwiches.
    No she is really from the liberties.

That is her real accent. My dad has this accent. He is also from there.

In fact her accent used to be stronger a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

What you've written there isn't how they speak though. They don't say ORTEE. They say AR-TEE-EE, which is correct. They would never say awwcent. I think you're mistaking RTE accent for Dort accent.

What makes you say its correct ? I've never heard anyone outside of Arrr T EE pronounce it that way (apart from Pirates as mentioned earlier ;)"

I would have a fairly flat Dublin accent I think, and am from a very working class area, but I also pronounce my words properly. The two things dont have to be mutually exclusive. I can also use grammar properly when writing (which is another conversation - there/their/they're, been/being etc etc.)

• Advertisement

No she is really from the liberties.

That is her real accent. My dad has this accent. He is also from there.

In fact her accent used to be stronger a few years ago.

I didnt say shes putting on her accent did I? I said shes another professional dub who plays up the whole truebluedub routine up for the Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

trashcan wrote: »
    What makes you say its correct ? I've never heard anyone outside of Arrr T EE pronounce it that way (apart from Pirates as mentioned earlier ;)"

I would have a fairly flat Dublin accent I think, and am from a very working class area, but I also pronounce my words properly. The two things dont have to be mutually exclusive. I can also use grammar properly when writing (which is another conversation - there/their/they're, been/being etc etc.)

Well, letters and words have a correct pronunciation. There might be loads of ways to pronounce the letter R. But there's a correct way and nd that's AR. Lots of people pronounce it "OR" but that's not correct. I didn't make the rules and I'm not suggesting that I pronounce things correctly. But the RTE accent adheres to the correct pronunciation.

Are you suggesting that they isn't a correct way to pronounce letters and words?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No I just know accents. And since most of my family have different northside accents as they live in ...liberties ..tallaght finglas and cabra I am familiar with them.

The original Tallaght accent is a soft county Dublin almost Wicklow accent. The accent associated with Tallaght today is people mostly from the North inner city who were relocated to west Tallaght.

Most of the rest of Tallaght has a milder accent as many of them were families moved from the country. My road growing up as a kid was a huge amount of country families who had moved to Tallaght (including my own).

My point, there are situations when accent might not help but politics is not one of them.

My point, there are situations when accent might be judged but politics is not one of them.

Ah, come off it. That's absolutely wrong.

The research about accents says that people make quick first impression decisions about other people very quickly based on superficial. The more information we get about people, the more different parts of their personality we see, the more situations we see them in, the less important the first impression becomes because there is loads more information to for an opinion. But politics is one of those things where we never get to know more about the person, we just keep seeing them in the same circumstance.

In other words, accent and other superficial indicatorids are very important in politics.

Well, letters and words have a correct pronunciation. There might be loads of ways to pronounce the letter R. But there's a correct way and nd that's AR. Lots of people pronounce it "OR" but that's not correct. I didn't make the rules and I'm not suggesting that I pronounce things correctly. But the RTE accent adheres to the correct pronunciation.

Are you suggesting that they isn't a correct way to pronounce letters and words?

Well that depends. You say you don’t make the rules, but you don’t say what the rule
    Is that says it should be AR.

Ah, come off it. That's absolutely wrong.

The research about accents says that people make quick first impression decisions about other people very quickly based on superficial. The more information we get about people, the more different parts of their personality we see, the more situations we see them in, the less important the first impression becomes because there is loads more information to for an opinion. But politics is one of those things where we never get to know more about the person, we just keep seeing them in the same circumstance.

In other words, accent and other superficial indicatorids are very important in politics.

If that was the case then certain poilititions would never get elected based on their accent but they do.

There is often a dislike for posh accents as well.

trashcan wrote: »
    Well that depends. You say you don’t make the rules, but you don’t say what the rule
    Is that says it should be AR.

Not sure what you're saying here. The correct pronunciation of the letter R, is Ar and that's why RTE presenters pronounce it the way the do.

Bambi wrote: »

Or you could take the more benigen view that she never felt she has to change her accent to fit in with a showbiz career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

It seems to me that Joe Duffy is the only well-known broadcaster in Ireland with what could be considered a strong Dublin accent. Why do a lot of Dublin broadcasters have neutral or posh accents?

You don't really hear strong regional accents from anywhere in the media except maybe sports commentators / pundits. I'm also thinking about UK media. You don't get presenters with serious cockney, scouser, geordie, Glasgow or that ooh-aaar country accent

They're all pretty neutral accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

why aren't there more working class dublin accents in politics?

Joan Collins some sort of independent TD
    Brid Smith PBP or whatever you're having yourself TD
    Gino's (italian ice cream) Kenny PBP TD
    Clare Daly MEP
    Louise O'Reilly SF
    Dessie Ellis SF
    Catherine Byrne former FG TD

There are a few.

Emmet Kirwan the 'actor' and public intellectual sometimes has a strong ish Dublin when it suits him.

To hear him change his accent, posh affectation, to do a radio ad for UCD is funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The very same reason why you won’t hear strong accents on the BBC (they invented “received pronounciation” - the upper middle class/Bridget Jones accent) or only any TV channel around the world - strong accents often are hard to understand and grate on the ear.

Yes, I have a very neutral accent myself.... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Who was the guy that used to present a Saturday morning kids show on RTE back in the 90's?

Who was the guy that used to present a Saturday morning kids show on RTE back in the 90's?

TV or radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

imme wrote: »
    TV or radio

TV. Would've been back in the days of Network 2. He was a young guy, probably 20's. Real thick dub accent from what I remember. I feel like his name could've been Kev...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kevin

Not sure what you're saying here. The correct pronunciation of the letter R, is Ar and that's why RTE presenters pronounce it the way the do.

I thought I was being quite clear. You haven't said why that is the correct pronunciation. Because you say so ?

TV. Would've been back in the days of Network 2. He was a young guy, probably 20's. Real thick dub accent from what I remember. I feel like his name could've been Kev...

Nothing springs to mind, searches throw up nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chosen1

imme wrote: »
    Joan Collins some sort of independent TD
    Brid Smith PBP or whatever you're having yourself TD
    Gino's (italian ice cream) Kenny PBP TD
    Clare Daly MEP
    Louise O'Reilly SF
    Dessie Ellis SF
    Catherine Byrne former FG TD

There are a few.

Weird one with Clare Daly.

Daughter of an army colonel, from Newbridge and has a working class Dublin accent. She's like the opposite of a Mayo girl that has just spent 2 weeks in UCD.

Advertisement