Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Saoirse Ronan seems to talk with a kind of flat Dublin accent I think she got it from her parents. This seems to really annoy non Dubliners for some reason but I find it refreshing that she doesn't talk with the usual rindabite dorsch accent that most women in the media have.

Fun fact: her Dad Paul was born in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think there's an estuary accent in England it's like a generic working class accent used by middle class people or maybe actors who do not want to sound
    too posh to get roles in TV dramas
    I think any Irish person can understand Joe Duffy even though he has a working class dublin accent
    Most ads use people with middle class or neutral accents i can't see actors with
    working class accents being used to advertise i phones or BMW cars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not from Dublin but i find Brian Kerr easy to understand with his accent also Simon Delaney, very clear.

Agreed. I think there's a cohort of people that claim to not understand Irish vernacular unless it's from their own region. In truth, they understand it perfectly and simply have a distaste for the speakers region because of their heavily laden shoulder chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Its a dreadful accent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Being from 'down the country' I used to think there was only one Dublin accent when i arrived first a sort of maureen potter (remember her) panto twang. To my surprise I found several Dublin accents depending on what part of Dublin they were from and social background etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Being from 'down the country' I used to think there was only one Dublin accent when i arrived first a sort of maureen potter (remember her) panto twang. To my surprise I found several Dublin accents depending on what part of Dublin they were from and social background etc.

Is that the same most places?

Galway has numerous accents depending who you're talking to. i was surprised when I went to Liverpool how many different accents there were too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

I like some working class Dublin accents, but a lot of them wouldn't be out of place in the armies of Sauron. Same with certain Cork and Limerick accents.

25188dc2fe8e6589d1e7288ee0cf98b3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Really?..."Dat fella Neemar" or "Saodio Mane"

Brian Kerr couldn't get to the end of the alphabet. Awful example of a Dubliner who can barely speak, when his job is just that. Even worse on the radio "EHH I'M NOT TO SHURE WHO IHT WAZ BUT IT WAZ A DEECENT EFFORT"

He's abysmal.

I like how he speaks ( and what he says )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

I like Kerr's accent/voice and he's also an excellent pundit/analyst.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Is that the same most places?

Galway has numerous accents depending who you're talking to. i was surprised when I went to Liverpool how many different accents there were too.

Galway is full of outsiders probably more so that any other Irish city I'd say 70% of the city are non Galway origin.

Probably true to some extent elsewhere but it came as a shock to me at the time.

• Advertisement

Galway is full of outsiders probably more so that any other Irish city I'd say 70% of the city are non Galway origin.

Probably true to some extent elsewhere but it came as a shock to me at the time.

I'm not talking about the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Nexytus wrote: »
    I like Kerr's accent/voice and he's also an excellent pundit/analyst.

The accent/voice is a personal like or dislike, but he is not an excellent analyst. He's woeful.

Theres at least 4 dublin accents, dart accent, generic middle class posh accent called the dart accent,strong dublin accent usually from working class area,s ,
    mild dublin accent .eg cormac moore dj has a mild dublin accent .
    dart accent is neutral sounds almost like an english accent.
    you can live anywhere in dublin and have a dart accent.
    its like old bbc presenters , eg it just means you are middle class .

https://www.fm104.ie/on-air/room-104/
    you could be middle class and have a mild dublin accent, its easily understood by anyone .

riclad wrote: »
    dart accent is neutral sounds almost like an english accent.
    you can live anywhere in dublin and have a dart accent.
    its like old bbc presenters , eg it just means you are middle class .

This is anything but a "neutral" accent. Those tones have to be artificially worked. A neutral accent is something you don't have to adopt or work at to achieve. That "Dort" "Ok ya" accent has absolutely nothing to do with Dublin and only started to appear around the 90's. It was something people made an effort to use and not something that happened naturally.

The same goes for that old fashioned auntie Beeb accent. It was something you needed to train yourself to do and when it became silly sounding and no longer in vogue, it was dropped.

This is anything but a "neutral" accent. Those tones have to be artificially worked. A neutral accent is something you don't have to adopt or work at to achieve. That "Dort" "Ok ya" accent has absolutely nothing to do with Dublin and only started to appear around the 90's. It was something people made an effort to use and not something that happened naturally.

The same goes for that old fashioned auntie Beeb accent. It was something you needed to train yourself to do and when it became silly sounding and no longer in vogue, it was dropped.

Maybe that's when you started to hear it!! The Bob Geldof accent has been around a long long time. My parents would have slagged off people with accents like that in the 70's pronouncing Harp like Horp. Two points of horp please.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Maybe that's when you started to hear it!! The Bob Geldof accent has been around a long long time. My parents would have slagged off people with accents like that in the 70's pronouncing Harp like Horp. Two points of horp please.

Geldoff's accent represented absolutely nowhere in Dublin, not at the time or now. :pac:

There used to be a female radio/TV presenter in the 90's, I can't remember her name. I think she used to do traffic reports in her "dort" accent. But, anyway, I remember Gay Byrne brought up her accent when he interviewed her, because he found it so odd. He didn't find it disagreeable or anything, but he'd not heard it used much and that was a man who interviewed people for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Geldoff's accent represented absolutely nowhere in Dublin, not at the time or now. :pac:

Geldof is still trying to deal with his 1950s upbringing. Bangs on about it every 5 minutes over in England.

To answer the OP.

A strong Dublin accent to a non Dub is like have needles rammed into your eardrums...repeatedly.

To answer the OP.

A strong Dublin accent to a non Dub is like have needles rammed into your eardrums...repeatedly.

Perhaps. But compared to a Belfast accent it's like a soft summer breeze.

Perhaps. But compared to a Belfast accent it's like a soft summer breeze.

TBH I think a strong accent from any region grates.

• Advertisement

TBH I think a strong accent from any region grates.

Perhaps. But I still like them.

The worst thing about any accent is that they come with an imposed stigma, depending on who the listener is. It would be a fine thing if we could leave that behind.

Country girls love the Dublin accent. They often travel to the capital for some Dub action.

Perhaps. But I still like them.

The worst thing about any accent is that they come with an imposed stigma, depending on who the listener is. It would be a fine thing if we could leave that behind.

I was at some course or something in England about 10 years ago and this lady was a speech therapist of sorts.

Basically, in her view having a strong accent or different pronunciations was taken as ill-educated i.e. we should all sound the same.

I could have chucked my cup of bad coffee at her.

Country girls love the Dublin accent. They often travel to the capital for some Dub action.

No man. They just shag other boggers. You got no frontage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was at some course or something in England about 10 years ago and this lady was a speech therapist of sorts.

Basically, in her view having a strong accent or different pronunciations was taken as ill-educated i.e. we should all sound the same.

Bizarrely intolerant opinion of hers given her profession. What an ugly fantasy she has of same-sounding robots.

Did she not ever consider that kids of 4 have no 'education' to speak of, yet they have accents relating to where they grew up.

topper75 wrote: »
    Bizarrely intolerant opinion of hers given her profession. What an ugly fantasy she has of same-sounding robots.

Did she not ever consider that kids of 4 have no 'education' to speak of, yet they have accents relating to where they grew up.

I do recall being quite taken aback and still recall it. I can only surmise she was masking her own insecurities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is "Dub action", heroin?

More likely they travel up for a trip on the train, a few bits in Penneys (3 euro, I know, some value!), to hear the words yizzer and inallinanyways a few times and so they can tell the girls at home what a hole Dublin is when they head back to Tractor Land.

It's a trapping of that "Finishing School" sort. More an outward projection of snobbery than a factual note. But she certainly wouldn't have been alone in that type of thinking. Anywhere you go, you'll encounter people who attach speech patterns with a level of intellect.

In the modern age, it remains a bizarre hangover though.

An accent is formed, largely, through interaction with peers and everyday contacts. Which is why if one moves away from a country to another, you'll find yourself taking on certain words, phases and lilt, even if you fight against it.

I was in San Francisco a number of years ago and was talking with a woman from New York, who'd lived there for a while. I noticed that she was speaking with that questioning intonation that was limited to the west coast at the time (but now appears everywhere) and that she was losing her nice NYC accent.

She nearly hit me.

Every country town has pennys and dunnes stores shops.
    Every small town has the same shop,s , uk chain stores.
    I know dunne stores is irish owned.
    i wonder if children of people who speak with a dart accent speak the same way.
    when you are a child you simply learn english from your family no effort needed .You tend to speak in the same accent as your parents.
    Most bbc presenters have a middle class accent ,or a mild regional accent.
    i think the worst accent is a strong northern ireland accent ,it sounds very threatening and rough .

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Every country town has pennys and dunnes stores shops.
    Every small town has the same shop,s , uk chain stores.
    I know dunne stores is irish owned.
    i wonder if children of people who speak with a dart accent speak the same way.
    when you are a child you simply learn english from your family no effort needed .You tend to speak in the same accent as your parents.
    Most bbc presenters have a middle class accent ,or a mild regional accent.
    i think the worst accent is a strong northern ireland accent ,it sounds very threatening and rough .

Daniel O'Donnell?

Advertisement