Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Truthvader wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using Joe Duffy as an example of anything I was trying to promote

ah, whoyyy?

Tbh, I have a (not especially strong) Dublin accent, and I have no particular desire to hear Dublin accents on the radio or television to better represent me. I occasionally have to record and edit video of myself as part of my job, and I wince at some of my stronger Dublin-isms.

At the end of the day, particular people are going to dislike certain accents, and presenters have to appeal to, and (more importantly) make themselves understood to, as wide an audience as possible, and the easiest way to do that is with a very neutral way of speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Kevin
    imme wrote: »
    Nothing springs to mind, searches throw up nothing.

Found him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

why aren't there more working class dublin accents in politics?
    No need when you have Kildare people like Claire Daly coming in to represent the wuuuuurking class with her pseudo Dubbbalin accent. Anyway havent they Dessie Ellis on the average working wage

TV. Would've been back in the days of Network 2. He was a young guy, probably 20's. Real thick dub accent from what I remember. I feel like his name could've been Kev...

He's had his 15 minutes of fame. Now you are likely to hear him say. D'want chips with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nothing springs to mind, searches throw up nothing.

Kevin the Teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Yes, I think I remember him.
    Did he appear on multiple TV programmes.

He's a sort of intellectual. :pac:

What ever happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Edgware wrote: »
    No need when you have Kildare people like Claire Daly coming in to represent the wuuuuurking class with her pseudo Dubbbalin accent. Anyway havent they Dessie Ellis on the average working wage

Did she live in Dublin maybe growing up.

Her father was from kildare as you and another poster have said, but that doesn't mean that she grew up in kikdare. :confused:

Dessie, could you call him a Smoked Salmon Shinner. :D

Her father was from kildare as you and another poster have said, but that doesn't mean that she grew up in kikdare. :confused:

Her father was an Irish army officer and she grew up in Kildare not in the Ballymun projects

No. I think a bomb making bastard would be more accurate

They're all too busy flogging stuff in Moore St. and Meath St. They can't be everywhere.

You need a good old Dub voice that carries in those locations. It doesn't really work on the radio. Except for Joe. He's basically a diversity hire, before there was such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Saoirse Ronan seems to talk with a kind of flat Dublin accent I think she got it from her parents. This seems to really annoy non Dubliners for some reason but I find it refreshing that she doesn't talk with the usual rindabite dorsch accent that most women in the media have.

Saoirse Ronan seems to talk with a kind of flat Dublin accent I think she got it from her parents. This seems to really annoy non Dubliners for some reason but I find it refreshing that she doesn't talk with the usual rindabite dorsch accent that most women in the media have.

There has been some runaway accent inflation going on if Saoirse Ronan talks with a 'flat Dublin accent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There has been some runaway accent inflation going on if Saoirse Ronan talks with a 'flat Dublin accent'.

That's what it sounds like to me

chosen1 wrote: »
    Weird one with Clare Daly.

Daughter of an army colonel, from Newbridge and has a working class Dublin accent. She's like the opposite of a Mayo girl that has just spent 2 weeks in UCD.

Never thought I'd see the day where I spoke up in defence of Clare Daly, but was her family actually from Newbridge, or from Dublin, but living in Newbridge because her father was based there?

If the latter, then it would account for her accent. Though this could be accounted for also by her living in Dublin for 30 years, mingling with rough-hewn shop stewards and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Just thinking with myself here, but why do the rest of Ireland not produce their own shows or news? Instead it is always RTE and Dublin based? The places I have visited and explored outside Dublin has as much history and ideals than what Dublin is spitting out at the moment. Just musing and yes I may have had too much to drink lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is it 'inallinanyways' or 'inallinalleyways'? I've always wondered but never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Real Life wrote: »
    Brian Kerr represents to the fullest

Proper regional Irish accent. No apologies & entirely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

They've loads more accents in England but don't they don't go on about theirs the way we do ours.

Oddly enough most people here think the entire 60 million English population reside between Barking and Basildon when we imitate an English accent, isn't there such a thing as Mancunians, Scousers, Geordies, Yorkshire people and Bristolians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Proper regional Irish accent. No apologies & entirely understandable.

Really?..."Dat fella Neemar" or "Saodio Mane"

Brian Kerr couldn't get to the end of the alphabet. Awful example of a Dubliner who can barely speak, when his job is just that. Even worse on the radio "EHH I'M NOT TO SHURE WHO IHT WAZ BUT IT WAZ A DEECENT EFFORT"

He's abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Love Hate was kind of the opposite, they all sound dead posh in real life.

Same for Carol in Fair City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Neutral accents are easily understood regardless of where you're from.

It isn't a "neutral" accent though.

The flat Dublin accent is a neutral accent. The one between "jaysis howaya" and "ok ja".

What you hear on RTE, the likes of Anne Doyle, or Eileen Dunne etc, are affected accents. Carefully cultivated and anything but neutral or natural.

It's the type of accent one has to work at and develop, instead of just having.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    If you want yizzer daily dose of Dubness, just tune into Fair Cirree and you'll get a week's supply in one go.

Most of those are culchies trying to put on a Dublin accent and, largely, failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Is it 'inallinanyways' or 'inallinalleyways'? I've always wondered but never asked.

"Inallinanyways" I think

I don't think I've ever heard "Inallinanyways" or "inallinalleyways".

I've heard "in any ways...", as is "Sure, I'm going in anyways..." and "In all...", as in "Didn't he bring the bleedin dog in all..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tony EH wrote: »
    It isn't a "neutral" accent though.

The flat Dublin accent is a neutral accent. The one between "jaysis howaya" and "ok ja".

What you hear on RTE, the likes of Anne Doyle, or Eileen Dunne etc, are affected accents. Carefully cultivated and anything but neutral or natural.

It's the type of accent one has to work at and develop, instead of just having.

Cork accent more neutral I'd say. Not the extreme ones but educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Joe Duffy is understandable to any listener, Niall Boylan on classic hits has a slight dublin accent.
    A presenter has to able to speak clearly
    without using common slang and be polite to callers and be able to ask the right questions when discussing a wide range of subjects.
    I think if someone went for an interview now in rte radio and they had a strong working class
    Dublin accent they probably would not
    get the job.
    Most presenters on rte radio have a neutral middle class accent, which makes it impossible to know where they are from, are they from Dublin or some other county?
    Look at bbc news presenters most have
    a vague middleclass accent which is not regional , sports presenters on BBC, itv
    are allowed to have regional accents
    or Northern England accents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Neutral accents are easily understood regardless of where you're from.

That's why I don't understand RTE's weird pronunciation of certain words - ishshew, tishhew, ngoooordee, Portleash-ha etc. It doesn't sound posh, more like the presenter is seeing the word for the first time and having at bash at saying it.
    Correct.
    For national media ,a form of standard language is essential to maximally facilitate communication . Regional dialects are a block to understanding.
    An example . Some years back in a typically mutton-headed PC experiment a guy with a Birmingham dialect was recorded to voice announcements in a large railway station. Complaints mounted from travellers who couldn't make out what was being said or picked it up wrong. You can imagine the chaos and frustration. The whole idiot idea had to be hastily dropped.
    Local dialects are ok on regional media -on national media they are a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Really?..."Dat fella Neemar" or "Saodio Mane"

Brian Kerr couldn't get to the end of the alphabet. Awful example of a Dubliner who can barely speak, when his job is just that. Even worse on the radio "EHH I'M NOT TO SHURE WHO IHT WAZ BUT IT WAZ A DEECENT EFFORT"

He's abysmal.

Most Irish accents don't enunciate a lot British words properly, let alone names from other countries, but that's ok. Most strong accents don't enunciate proper English words. You often hear people from the West pronounce it "Wesht" but these regional accents are perfectly understandable to most of us including Brian Kerrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

chosen1 wrote: »
    Weird one with Clare Daly.

Daughter of an army colonel, from Newbridge and has a working class Dublin accent. She's like the opposite of a Mayo girl that has just spent 2 weeks in UCD.

I didn't know this fact but it ties in with a strange practice found elsewhere . Many middle class students in the UK affect a 'working class' or 'vernacular' accent and try to conceal their natural standard language accent.
    So many were trying to sound like Cockneys that a great term was thought up to describe their artificially constructed outpourings ..'Mockney'.
    I can only guess they want to show some kind of proxy solidarity with the raw earthy working class or they want to acquire some 'street cred' or that they are afraid their own dialect will be sneered at as 'posh'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not from Dublin but i find Brian Kerr easy to understand with his accent also Simon Delaney, very clear.

Advertisement