Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 ready Tv’s/Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

I got the 2020 Sony 55 inch A8. there is a 120fps port but its only standard HD, the 2 60 fps ports are 4k.

I was led to believe i had bought a heap of ****e because the PS wouldnt run as well.... pffft
    i have not noticed one single glitch so far.

You wouldn't notice a glitch, and to be honest most games won't run at 4k120fps so it doesn't matter that much if you're playing 4k for everything.

Honestly, having experience with 144fps gaming on a monitor the high frame rate makes a huge difference, as does input lag when you're playing FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I got the 2020 Sony 55 inch A8. there is a 120fps port but its only standard HD, the 2 60 fps ports are 4k.

I was led to believe i had bought a heap of ****e because the PS wouldnt run as well.... pffft
    i have not noticed one single glitch so far.

It's not that 1 port is only 120 or the others are 60, the 2 ports that can do 4k@60 are the full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports.

You should use those ports in general, or the console/PC/whatever could default to using subsampling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Best bet is to wait until April/May for clearance sales. I picked up the B9 OLED last year for €1100 and absolutely love it. I’d say you could get the next step up CX for around that this year and I’d highly recommend.

QLED is just marketing BS for LCD with a layer of quantum dots for increased colour volume. They suffer all the drawbacks of LCDs that are never fully mitigated even by top tier FALD LCDs.

Hi All - Can anyone please expand on the Salmons point above please?

We're 5 weeks away from April at this stage, is this a good tip? Who has these sales? Are they online or in shops?

Also are you getting a bargain here or good it be reasonably argued that you're simply paying too for older technology?!

Thanks.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi All - Can anyone please expand on the Salmons point above please?

We're 5 weeks away from April at this stage, is this a good tip? Who has these sales? Are they online or in shops?

Also are you getting a bargain here or good it be reasonably argued that you're simply paying too for older technology?!

Thanks.

Top end OLEDs improved a lot with the 2021 models, but the mid/high end didn't too much.
    Same for LED, top end improved but midrange didn't too much.
    Only caveat here is some HDMI 2.1 and other features that some 2020 TV were lacking.

I think April is probably pushing it, the clearance starts earlier in February/January dependant on release schedule and as stock disappears it get's a lot harder to find it and prices do increase.
    For current year stuff the price drops start off in June, and then continue slowly until the weeks leading up to black Friday.

Releases are a bit off with covid.

Really depends on which TV you're looking at or what's the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks Varik - My head is spinning a bit form the various options, angles and pricing tiers!!!

What's your best recommendation as of now please?

- Also, since theres a few people on this thread that really know their TVs - I have 2 X 4k HDR Sony Bravia Android TVs at home.

TV No.1 - Scratched by Child A flinging a plastic stick-shaped toy with a rough edge around. (Have begged for more care and consideration since!)
    TV No.2 - Scratched by Child B unplugging a USB cable from a tablet and glancing the metal edge off the screen. (Have moved chargers to other side of room!)

Sonys specs say these are trilumionous screen technology - Just wondering if there's much of a difference in how susceptible the various screens are to damage depending on the manufacturer or particular technology involved?

My older TVs have the odd screen scratch here and there - None of which are visible then when the TV is on - These new ones leave little white backlit dots though and they are horribly distracting in dark scenes as they show quite clearly and your eye is drawn to them.

I'm not expecting miracles here - But if for example OLED screens tended to be even slightly more durable due to the surface they are finished in then that would make my mind up right away.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement

Older LCD have a single light source in the rear and more space between the screen surface and the light, modern ones there's multiple LEDs and they're closer to the screen so can be damaged easier. OLED being self emissive it's the same, they take a bang and either can get dim/bright spots or can go entirely.

None of them are really inherently durable, most now have coatings on the screen so you've to be extra careful in what you use to clean them.

There's giant screen protectors but now sure how good any of those would be and they all look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fintc

I just bought a ps5 but I'm playing it on an old Samsung.
    I need to upgrade to a 4k TV. I can only fit a 50 inch tv in my room.

I play mostly single player games and some warzone/COD with friends. I'm reading a lot about 4k 120 FPS/VRR/HDMI 2.1 and it's a bit overwhelming.
    There's so many options out there it's hard to narrow down .

Budget is €1000 or £850.

I would like to buy a TV that is future proof.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a thread here, that should have plenty of good suggestions.

I play mostly single player games and some warzone/COD with friends. I'm reading a lot about 4k 120 FPS/VRR/HDMI 2.1 and it's a bit overwhelming.

Budget is €1000 or £850.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Fintc wrote: »

Budget is €1000 or £850.

Thanks.

You could get the 49 inch version of the nano86.
    They have it on Littlewoods for 650.
    It has 120fps on 2 of the 4 ports ie. HDMI 2.1.
    You might want to turn off local dimming though as it can cause issues
    Maybe others can comment that have it.
    I don't have it but thought it looks like a good TV.

Vrr means variable refresh rate.
    That's so you don't get screen tear when frame rate is at a strange number.

• Advertisement

Thanks, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Fintc wrote: »

Budget is €1000 or £850.

Thanks.
    Talk to the guys over on the RicherSounds Forum. They'll sort you out. They price match but are generally the cheapest anyway. They know their stuff!

Nice one, got on to them today, very helpful .

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Thinking about picking up the Cx soon but heard the C1 is close to release in next few months would I be better holding off?

I see the 48inch is at 1450 a lot of places would suit my home better think the 55 might be a tad big.

Thinking about picking up the Cx soon but heard the C1 is close to release in next few months would I be better holding off?

I see the 48inch is at 1450 a lot of places would suit my home better think the 55 might be a tad big.

Ended up buying the CX 48 will follow up with thoughts when I move home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I have a Sony KDL-40EX503 so I haven't had a updated TV in a while, well have 32 inch ones in bedrooms but this is the main one. Nothing wrong with it but got the PS5 and xbox series x so would like to see the most from it. I have 1k away for new TV, would I best off picking one up now or say in 2 mths time as would need that time to have money for LGCX 55 inch? Would like to get a 55 inch as well. See pic below where it would be, you reckon would fit there as much bigger? Most I would spend is 1500, but will take about 2 mths to get other 500, so hold off until then or pick something up now for 1 k? If so what TV as tons out there to choose from or hold off for newer models to come out? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

RGARDINR wrote: »

The 55CX is great, but it will look huge in that space. I say that as someone that has it and feels it is a bit big for my space, but you get used to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Same boat here, edging towards getting the LG CX now though...

Dave0301 wrote: »
    The 55CX is great, but it will look huge in that space. I say that as someone that has it and feels it is a bit big for my space, but you get used to it.
    Thanks. I would prefer the 55 inch TV but like that might have to think on it. I would be happy with it more the other half might not be.

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Same boat here, edging towards getting the LG CX now though...

Yeah I saw that the G1 price point is going to be above what cx is , so that decided it for me . CX has vrr, hdmi 2.1 true 4k so that will do.

Won't get to set it up until end of month as am moving out of where I am at the minute.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Yeah I saw that the G1 price point is going to be above what cx is , so that decided it for me . CX has vrr, hdmi 2.1 true 4k so that will do.

Won't get to set it up until end of month as am moving out of where I am at the minute.

If there's no major difference between the two and I'll go with the CX wherever has the best price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

When ya'll say CX is this the one you are talking about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

py2006 wrote: »
    When ya'll say CX is this the one you are talking about?

That’s the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This might be UK only, but I suspect retailers here will follow suit... LG are discounting some of their 2020 OLED TVs for one week only, i.e. the BX, CX, and GX (from AV Forums).

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    This might be UK only, but I suspect retailers here will follow suit... LG are discounting some of their 2020 OLED TVs for one week only, i.e. the BX, CX, and GX (from AV Forums).

Nice one will keep an eye out on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Here's an overview of those discounted prices.
    LG CX - Discounted Prices: 48CX - £1,169 / 55CX - £1,169 / 65CX - £1,709 / 77CX - £3,149
    LG BX - Discounted Prices: 55BX - £989 / 65BX - £1,439
    LG GX - Discounted Prices: 55GX - £1,439 / 65GX - £2,069 / 77GX - £4,049

Even the official LG discounted prices have the 55" the same as the 48".

At least that's likely to change this year, the 48" getting manufactured in their own runs and LG Displays planning for a serious larger amount of them being made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Mr Crispy wrote: »

I was on the Power City site earlier and it had an LG 10% off banner starting wednesday.
    Not there now though.

EDIT:
    Richer Sounds have the 55CX at £1299 + a £100 off code ending tomorrow night.

The banner on the LG site is the same one Power City had.
    https://www.lg.com/uk/oled10?utm_source=pr&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=150320_HE_OLED10&utm_content=outreach

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    I was on the Power City site earlier and it had an LG 10% off banner starting wednesday.
    Not there now though.

Hopefully back on come the 10th. As they have the 55 inch CX, Harvey Norman don't seem to have it anymore when I put it in on their site. Just wondering how much people reckon the new 55 inch CX will be when released? Better off getting the CX version at moment or hold off for one of their newer tvs coming out? Budget would be 1400

Advertisement