Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 ready Tv’s/Monitors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Hopefully back on come the 10th. As they have the 55 inch CX, Harvey Norman don't seem to have it anymore when I put it in on their site. Just wondering how much people reckon the new 55 inch CX will be when released? Better off getting the CX version at moment or hold off for one of their newer tvs coming out? Budget would be 1400

See my edit to my previous post about Power City banner, same one as on LG site.

I don't think there will be a new 55 CX*, the newer one is the GX.
    *No research on this, so open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    See my edit to my previous post about Power City banner, same one as on LG site.

the GX is another 2020 TV, a step up from the 2020 CX with minimal difference.

The new 2021 TVs are the A1 B1 C1 and G1.

Hopefully back on come the 10th. As they have the 55 inch CX, Harvey Norman don't seem to have it anymore when I put it in on their site. Just wondering how much people reckon the new 55 inch CX will be when released? Better off getting the CX version at moment or hold off for one of their newer tvs coming out? Budget would be 1400

New 2021 C1 is 2000
    No review samples out for it yet and since it's the same display as the CX just with different processor and some other bits it's unlikely to be worth the 2k launch cost over the CX.

Only people that should really wait are those looking at the 48" or have a budget around 2400 to look at the new G1.

The new G1 which is a huge improvement over any of the 2020 TVs. Anyone looking at the G1 should also look at the high end Sony and Panasonic as they've the news screen type too and are doing more with it.

The new 48" C1 costs 1650, so shouldn't take too long to drop in price and will be more readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

F1ngers wrote: »

Ahhh cool I saw it there now thanks for that. Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I wish the G1 had a 48" version, but it looks like 55" will be the smallest size for it.

I've seen this posted elsewhere - another series, the EX - but nothing confirmed as of yet. Could well be fake news!

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    New 2021 C1 is 2000
    No review samples out for it yet and since it's the same display as the CX just with different processor and some other bits it's unlikely to be worth the 2k launch cost over the CX.

Only people that should really wait are those looking at the 48" or have a budget around 2400 to look at the new G1.

The new G1 which is a huge improvement over any of the 2020 TVs. Anyone looking at the G1 should also look at the high end Sony and Panasonic as they've the news screen type too and are doing more with it.

The new 48" C1 costs 1650, so shouldn't take too long to drop in price and will be more readily available.

In regards the 48" C1 if drops in price is it best to wait until then or just get 55" CX when 10% off?

In regards the 48" C1 if drops in price is it best to wait until then or just get 55" CX when 10% off?

The 48" might be down to ~1300 by June/July, and without the same manufacturing limits will probably drop further from there. So another 3-4 months to get the 48" for the same price you can get the current 48" for with the 10% off. It might get around 1000 by October/November.

The 55" isn't as overpriced as the 48" is right now for the current CX. So if you can fit a 55" the CX now is probably fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gotta say those perfect black levels on the CX are doing a good job at ruining other TVs for me :p

Watched a bunch of film festival streams (standard HD) over the weekend and a mix of the great upscaling and picture quality really showed the TV's strengths - wasn't seeing the artefacting you'd get on a monitor or other displays. It's obviously a great gaming TV, but for anyone looking for something more versatile it's a heck of a TV for film as well.

Something to note when thinking about OLED and it's 1:1 dimming and perfect blacks is that it has that feature by design, it's not part of a mode or linked to anything. Each pixels' colour and brightness is controlled in the same step.

Higher end LEDs tvs can do a lot with local dimming and a modern TV might have 100+ zones with some new 2021 ones using mini leds which can be 5-7X that, the issue is this is another step and if you're in game mode to get lower latency then this feature is effected.

Below image is a Samsung Q90R (last year), the left is movie mode which has a latency of 70ms while the right is game mode with the low of 16ms.

546279.JPG

That's an extreme but in normal use game mode on a LED tv will make most things look greyer and murkier, and you'll get some blooming of bright section surround by darker areas. Also some additional ghosting.

From below and in more detail. With the 2019 LG C9 and 2019 Q90R

Problem might improve with time for new LED tvs as their processors improve and less compromises have to be made for game mode.

Varik wrote: »
    The 48" might be down to ~1300 by June/July, and without the same manufacturing limits will probably drop further from there. So another 3-4 months to get the 48" for the same price you can get the current 48" for with the 10% off. It might get around 1000 by October/November.

The 55" isn't as overpriced as the 48" is right now for the current CX. So if you can fit a 55" the CX now is probably fine.

I will think on it tonight as the CX is what I want but not sure if 55" be too big for sitting room if I don't buy it tomorrow as richer sounds seems will be best value on it at moment I might hold off for 48" in few mths time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I will think on it tonight as the CX is what I want but not sure if 55" be too big for sitting room if I don't buy it tomorrow as richer sounds seems will be best value on it at moment I might hold off for 48" in few mths time.

I wasn't sure whether to go for the 55 as the previous tv was 43 inches and looked big enough for the sitting room. I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago and my only regret is not doing it sooner. If it fits, it'll probably be grand. You adjust to the size fairly quickly!

Well I just bit the bullet there and ordered the LG TV below. Came in at 1305 with 10% off, ordered with Power City and was free delivery. Its coming on Thursday I can't wait, I possibly should of ordered the 48 inch one but taking a chance on the 55" but risk worth taking.
      sorry meant to say thanks for heads up on extra 10% off LG the next 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Folks have a read about the gamma issues with vrr on the lg CX series. I've not heard about it being resolved and I've been holding off for a C1 due to it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/09/02/lg-acknowledges-oled-tv-vrr-issuesbut-cant-promise-a-quick-fix/

Woden wrote: »
    Folks have a read about the gamma issues with vrr on the lg CX series. I've not heard about it being resolved and I've been holding off for a C1 due to it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/09/02/lg-acknowledges-oled-tv-vrr-issuesbut-cant-promise-a-quick-fix/

PS5 doesn't support VRR in any case.

The Xbox does have VRR but consoles aren't where this problem is really an issue, and on PC you can make some compromises like playing at a fixed max refresh rate. The issue is about large frame rate drops, so it's 120 one moment and falls 30+ the next.

Consoles games tend to have pushed dynamic resolution this gen to maintain a steady frame rate now. If you played on some 120fps performance mode for COD for example then you might get this issue, but the blacks will only momentarily be raised and it'd still be better than an LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Yeah but i'm expecting VRR to come. Its a consideration for me at least. I'm in the market and it will need to be 48 inch due to space issues. Also dissapointed to see that the 48 sony this year doesn't seem to be refreshed

VRR will be coming to PS5 so it definitely is something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭LauraW7746

Had been looking for a new TV to use mostly for my PS5, decided to go with the 55CX, got it for €1259.10 from Richer Sounds, I didnt think the price would go much lower than that, its the cheapest ive seen

Have always had Samsung TVs, upgrading from 49KS8000 so hoping it there will be a noticable difference & the LG is as good as everyone says it is! :D

VRR will be coming to PS5 so it definitely is something to keep in mind.

You need huge frame rate drops for the issue to appear, like 30+ and huge drops like that aren't likely on locked frame rate console games.

Only an issue if someone is using a PC with unlocked frame rate or too high a locked rate for their system to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Had been looking for a new TV to use mostly for my PS5, decided to go with the 55CX, got it for €1259.10 from Richer Sounds, I didnt think the price would go much lower than that, its the cheapest ive seen

Have always had Samsung TVs, upgrading from 49KS8000 so hoping it there will be a noticable difference & the LG is as good as everyone says it is! :D

You won't regret it. Enjoy your new toy;)

US prices have leaked for the LG OLEDs, they are stupidly aggressively priced.

One of the larger higher end ones is £5000 in UK and $3500 in US, obvs UK price included VAT. EU euro prices are comparable to UK. Right kick in the teeth but might mean that discounted prices in UK/EU in the future might get a nice bit lower if LG had that much room to play with for RRP.

• Advertisement

Lads just want to post and say I have the CX a week now and its absolutely unreal

I was on the fence for ages as to whether it would be worth the upgrade or not and it 100% is

This is out of the box by the way I haven't calibrated it yet for PS5, I will probably use settings from Vincent HDTV Tests youtube vid

Might sell my 49KS8000 now, anyone know what it would be worth roughly? Its 4 years old in great condition

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Lads just want to post and say I have the CX a week now and its absolutely unreal

I was on the fence for ages as to whether it would be worth the upgrade or not and it 100% is

This is out of the box by the way I haven't calibrated it yet for PS5, I will probably use settings from Vincent HDTV Tests youtube vid

Might sell my 49KS8000 now, anyone know what it would be worth roughly? Its 4 years old in great condition

Nice.

Did you go for the 55"? Is it walll mounted?

py2006 wrote: »
    Nice.

Did you go for the 55"? Is it walll mounted?

Went for the 55 in the end, I didnt wall mount, I wouldnt like that angle for gaming
    I've attached a pic of my set up, the TV cabinet is the Byas from Ikea

Went for the 55 in the end, I didnt wall mount, I wouldnt like that angle for gaming
    I've attached a pic of my set up, the TV cabinet is the Byas from Ikea

Very nice indeed. What angle do yo mean on wall?

How is the sound out of it? I was considering getting good headphones and/or speakers for it.

Very nice indeed. What angle do yo mean on wall?

How is the sound out of it? I was considering getting good headphones and/or speakers for it.

Well for me personally, I would have to wall mount over our electric fire so I would have to look up rather than straight on and It just wouldnt have suited me

I would say the the sound isnt as good as the Samsung I had so yeah you may have to invest in a headset or soundbar but for me it does the job fine regardless
    Sound wouldnt be a major factor for me

Interestingly the LG 48" CX and the LG 55" CX in Powercity are the same price, €1449.95

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Got the 48 CX for €1349 in Euronics last month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204872-lg-oled48cx5lc-48-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx

Back to €1379 on Richersounds.
    They're great to deal with and are refunding me 70 cos I paid 1449 during the week (gutted I missed the 10% off).
    6 year warranty too.

I have to say it was difficult to pay more for a 48" TV than a 55" but I just think for games like warzone etc 55 is too big for me.

Conar wrote: »

Is that because your tv is in a smaller room?

I need a new tv for spare room which is 11ft x 11ft and want it wall mounted. Not sure if 55" is too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

Is that because your tv is in a smaller room?

I need a new tv for spare room which is 11ft x 11ft and want it wall mounted. Not sure if 55" is too big.

No, my room is a similar size but it's more a gaming preference. I had a 55 inch in the other room and I used it a few times but found it too big for me to take in everything that was going on in a fast paced game.

If you don't care about that kind of thing then go as big as you want IMO. It's amazing how quickly you get used to TVs. I've a 65 now in the other room and could easily have gone 75 in hindsight.

Advertisement