Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPL Wildcard Thread 2020/2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭skinny90

made a -4 change but thinking of just going via wildcard.

Will I still loose the -4 if I wildcard?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

skinny90 wrote: »
    made a -4 change but thinking of just going via wildcard.

Will I still loose the -4 if I wildcard?

No, the wildcard overrules that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

My wildcard:

Ryan McCarthy
    Digne Trent Sais Kilman Johnson (West Ham)
    Grealish Salah Zaha Foden Hames Rodriguez
    Calvert Lewin Jeminez Watkins

Thought? Not enough big hitters and no united coverage. Just think over 10 is too much for Fernández.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

franglan wrote: »
    My wildcard:

Ryan McCarthy
    Digne Trent Sais Kilman Johnson (West Ham)
    Grealish Salah Zaha Foden Hames Rodriguez
    Calvert Lewin Jeminez Watkins

Thought? Not enough big hitters and no united coverage. Just think over 10 is too much for Fernández.

That team is going to keep you headaches - who are you going to bench this week?

Two lads in the form of their life - Son and Kane and you don't have at least one of them is a bit strange on wildcard, and you have no easy way of getting them in if need to.

Not sure about the defence- could be left with two non playing defenders - Struijk would be better shout then Johnson as leeds manger said he'll play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

Thanks for feedback, have dropped Jimí and Watkins brought in Werner and Brewster. Dropped Digne brought in Robertson. Now dropped Trent to get get in son with Grealish dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

know this season has been different to most, I’ve made some good decisions & some not so good.

Currently lying around 1m OR

Semi happy with me team, however with wildcard still in tact Im contemplating whether to stick or twist. A lot of what I’d be changing would be mid/defence

What are the pro’s to holding til Xmas or using now?

Current team:

McCarthy (Nyland)

TAA Coleman Dias (Taylor Johnson)

Salah Son Podence Grealish (Burke)

Kane DCL Jimi

Proposed team:

Martinez (Button)

Chilwell James Bellerin (Kilman Masuaku)

Salah Son Fernandes Grealish (Riedewald)

Kane Maupay Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Chesty08 wrote: »
    know this season has been different to most, I’ve made some good decisions & some not so good.

Currently lying around 1m OR

Semi happy with me team, however with wildcard still in tact Im contemplating whether to stick or twist. A lot of what I’d be changing would be mid/defence

What are the pro’s to holding til Xmas or using now?

Current team:

McCarthy (Nyland)

TAA Coleman Dias (Taylor Johnson)

Salah Son Podence Grealish (Burke)

Kane DCL Jimi

Proposed team:

Martinez (Button)

Chilwell James Bellerin (Kilman Masuaku)

Salah Son Fernandes Grealish (Riedewald)

Kane Maupay Wilson

I think your original team looks stronger than the proposed team but maybe consider other players:

Leeds keeper (even when they concede he seems to gather save points)

Robertson at Liverpool seems to be more attacking than TAA, although at the moment there seems to be better value in cheap defenders that attack and investing money in midfield/strikers who are playing weaker opposition.
    I did say prior to international break (pretty sure it was to you) that at the moment clean sheets are not happening and until the penalties situation is changed 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 formations seem to be the most profitable....but that could change over the coming weeks.
    We are at the part in the league where teams have started to settle and clean sheets "should" be more common, so with that in mind ...it might be time to take advantage of premium defenders while everyone else is dumping them.

It's been a bit of a messed up season so far, players who should perform simply haven't, even the likes of Salah has been very meh .... Yet people are getting him because he is due a big points haul (i captained him this week, like most people and it was a captain fail, I may keep the captaincy on him for the reason above)

Will have to stop penning my thoughts (have to focus on other stuff) but you have plenty of options available if you consider a fresh team or players that just need that little bit of luck and they will go on a run.... Go with your gut picking players, look at form, fixtures and other stats if you want but choose who you think might do well over a block of gameweeks and plan the next 6 weeks at least.

Best of luck

I think your original team looks stronger than the proposed team but maybe consider other players:

Leeds keeper (even when they concede he seems to gather save points)

Robertson at Liverpool seems to be more attacking than TAA, although at the moment there seems to be better value in cheap defenders that attack and investing money in midfield/strikers who are playing weaker opposition.
    I did say prior to international break (pretty sure it was to you) that at the moment clean sheets are not happening and until the penalties situation is changed 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 formations seem to be the most profitable....but that could change over the coming weeks.
    We are at the part in the league where teams have started to settle and clean sheets "should" be more common, so with that in mind ...it might be time to take advantage of premium defenders while everyone else is dumping them.

It's been a bit of a messed up season so far, players who should perform simply haven't, even the likes of Salah has been very meh .... Yet people are getting him because he is due a big points haul (i captained him this week, like most people and it was a captain fail, I may keep the captaincy on him for the reason above)

Will have to stop penning my thoughts (have to focus on other stuff) but you have plenty of options available if you consider a fresh team or players that just need that little bit of luck and they will go on a run.... Go with your gut picking players, look at form, fixtures and other stats if you want but choose who you think might do well over a block of gameweeks and plan the next 6 weeks at least.

Best of luck

Yes I’m definitely of the same thinking that clean sheets will start to come & even some attacking players will start to slow down in terms of output, ridiculous amount on average a goal a game which we all know is not sustainable

I suppose timing is very important in this game & perhaps sticking with premium defenders could be a route to continue with & hold the wildcard.

Problem is, I’ve got nothing out of defence all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Yes I’m definitely of the same thinking that clean sheets will start to come & even some attacking players will start to slow down in terms of output, ridiculous amount on average a goal a game which we all know is not sustainable

I suppose timing is very important in this game & perhaps sticking with premium defenders could be a route to continue with & hold the wildcard.

Problem is, I’ve got nothing out of defence all year.

Just managed 3 clean sheets this week with my keeper to play tomorrow, got lucky this week....so far on 59points with 2 players left to play....and that included a bad captain choice of salah.

I don’t think I have premium defenders, holding(injured), castagne, Justin , chilwell and dunne (Burnley) ... I think dunne isn’t playing, so really unless I took a points hit, I could only field 3 defenders, I think Robbo from Liverpool should click soon, similarly with some other attacking defenders, clean sheets and assists with BPS.

My midfield consists of salah, st maximin, zaha, Rodriguez, and Jorginho.... all decent enough and capable of getting goals, I think st max will come good eventually.

I changed vardy to Kane last week after he was out injured - possibly a mistake but time will tell, DCL and bamford complete the strike force.

For your wildcard.... have a look at the other teams in your leagues and see if there are some players there that you may not have thought of or might consider for your team.

Captain choice can make or break a weekend, but at the end of the day....it’s only a game !!

• Advertisement

Just managed 3 clean sheets this week with my keeper to play tomorrow, got lucky this week....so far on 59points with 2 players left to play....and that included a bad captain choice of salah.

I don’t think I have premium defenders, holding(injured), castagne, Justin , chilwell and dunne (Burnley) ... I think dunne isn’t playing, so really unless I took a points hit, I could only field 3 defenders, I think Robbo from Liverpool should click soon, similarly with some other attacking defenders, clean sheets and assists with BPS.

My midfield consists of salah, st maximin, zaha, Rodriguez, and Jorginho.... all decent enough and capable of getting goals, I think st max will come good eventually.

I changed vardy to Kane last week after he was out injured - possibly a mistake but time will tell, DCL and bamford complete the strike force.

For your wildcard.... have a look at the other teams in your leagues and see if there are some players there that you may not have thought of or might consider for your team.

Captain choice can make or break a weekend, but at the end of the day....it’s only a game !!

Yeah great advise.

If I do decide I think I’ll go risky & go for players outside the template teams as things will start to balance out & could be time to get ahead of the curve.

On paper I have a strong team but it doesn’t seem to be transitioning through to points & ranks.

I like the Zaha & Grealish punt together! I think both are similar in terms of output & will give a good swing in OR if click

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think Robbo from Liverpool should click soon, similarly with some other attacking defenders, clean sheets and assists with BPS.

He's only blanked in 2 games! I'm not sure what your expectations are of him but he's doing fine

Guaita (Peacock-Farrell)

James Cancelo Masuaku (Kilman, Mitchell)

Salah Son Mahrez Zaha Grealish

Kane Maupay (Wilson)

Do your worst!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ngunners

Guaita (Peacock-Farrell)

Kane Maupay (Wilson)

Do your worst!!!

Decent team.

I’d have reservations about Zaha (Crystal Palace have a poor attack and are overly reliant on Zaha), Mahrez (who I have in my team but he has not been worth the price compared to Foden for example so far) and Maupay (misses a lot of chances he should be scoring).

ngunners wrote: »
    Decent team.

I’d have reservations about Zaha (Crystal Palace have a poor attack and are overly reliant on Zaha), Mahrez (who I have in my team but he has not been worth the price compared to Foden for example so far) and Maupay (misses a lot of chances he should be scoring).

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes Mahrez hasn’t really caught fire but feel he has more explosive power then Foden. Might be with considering though

Yes not the greatest attack but it does seem that everything goes through him which is always good plus he is on pens. Millie looks to have lost his place & Zaha on pens is added worth to his value. Potentially should be an 8.5m player with that now

Yes agree with Maupay but he has been returning similar to higher priced forwards & looks like if he & Brighton clocked he could be a bandwagon cause of his price ..I think

Guaita (Peacock-Farrell)

Kane Maupay (Wilson)

Do your worst!!!

I'd have doubts over James and Cancelo game time, and they are expensive players to be not playing every week.

Like the Grealish, Zaha double up - i think one of them will return every 3 weeks or so.

Wilson on bench will be a headache, could you downgrade him to Brewster and Upgrad mahrez to KdB?, or downgrade Mahrez to Reed, and upgrade Wilson to Vardy/Werner?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I'd have doubts over James and Cancelo game time, and they are expensive players to be not playing every week.

Like the Grealish, Zaha double up - i think one of them will return every 3 weeks or so.

Wilson on bench will be a headache, could you downgrade him to Brewster and Upgrad mahrez to KdB?, or downgrade Mahrez to Reed, and upgrade Wilson to Vardy/Werner?

No a downgrade of Wilson or Mahrez can’t get me either. It’s basically the funds to go from Cancelo to TAA.

I think I’ve enough cover there with James, Cancelo etc that if they don’t play the others will

No a downgrade of Wilson or Mahrez can’t get me either. It’s basically the funds to go from Cancelo to TAA.

I think I’ve enough cover there with James, Cancelo etc that if they don’t play the others will

Mahrez is 8.4m, Reed is 4.4m (or some other fodder mid) so that's 4m saving
    Wilson is 6.5m - so that would give you 10.5m for a striker - basically any striker of your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Guaita (Peacock-Farrell)

Kane Maupay (Wilson)

Do your worst!!!

I see the appeal of a rounded front 8 but not a fan of it generally. Perhaps a cheaper guy like Soucek or Burke (if he drops in price) or spend slightly more on ASM (say) but that's the max. Could spend it instead on a defender as first sub given that you're choosing some with high upside but not nailed (James Cancelo))

Masuaku tends to catch my eye but will he start in a back four when WHU fixtures pick up? Coufal looks a safer pick if your not stretching to Creswell

Mendy is the same price as Guita. Don't think we can say for certain that Zouma is nailed but he's tempting at the price.

The new Wolves lad Marcal will get the LWB soon enough. Fixtures are turning for them though.

ElTel wrote: »
    I see the appeal of a rounded front 8 but not a fan of it generally. Perhaps a cheaper guy like Soucek or Burke (if he drops in price) or spend slightly more on ASM (say) but that's the max. Could spend it instead on a defender as first sub given that you're choosing some with high upside but not nailed (James Cancelo))

Masuaku tends to catch my eye but will he start in a back four when WHU fixtures pick up? Coufal looks a safer pick if your not stretching to Creswell

Mendy is the same price as Guita. Don't think we can say for certain that Zouma is nailed but he's tempting at the price.

The new Wolves lad Marcal will get the LWB soon enough. Fixtures are turning for them though.

Oh yes, I’m liking the look of Coufal! Masauaku has been playing ahead of Cresswell in midfield & he was a favourite of Moyes’ in his first stint at the club.

Mendy is a good shout! Probably the only certainty in Chelsea defence alongside Chilwell.

To be honest i see James as an explosive defender who could play & return double digits or just not play & I get a fodder in with 1 or 2 points.

Some great advice & worth considering.

• Advertisement

Guaita (Peacock-Farrell)

Kane Maupay (Wilson)

Do your worst!!!

Bit of a re-jig

Guaita —> Martinez
    Cancelo ——-> Coufal
    Son ——-> Sterling
    Mahrez ——-> Foden
    Maupay ——-> Werner
    Wilson ——-> Brewster

The reason being ... I want to captain Sterling over the next 4/5 games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Bit of a re-jig

Guaita —> Martinez
    Cancelo ——-> Coufal
    Son ——-> Sterling
    Mahrez ——-> Foden
    Maupay ——-> Werner
    Wilson ——-> Brewster

Doesn't that leave you with double West Ham defence?

Doesn't that leave you with double West Ham defence?

Yes double West Ham defence. Their fixtures start to turn for the better. They’ve been doing quite well.

But two attacking threats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Yes double West Ham defence. Their fixtures start to turn for the better. They’ve been doing quite well.

But two attacking threats

Yeah sorry if that came across wrong, just in case you hadn't noticed.
    They do have a lovely run after the Liverpool game. I wonder how nailed Coufal/Masuaku are? Don't know if they are missing anyone or if they'll change their current shape. Definitely thinking about downgrading Robbo to one of them this week. Use that 2.5m elsewhere.

It's an interesting team you're going with. No Son, but Spurs coverage with Kane. No Everton players.
    Sterling will be a nice differential, but for me he's too frustrating to own and can flatter to deceive.

I like the 3-5-2 idea though. So many high scoring mids this season. Toying with that idea too, downgrade Wilson to Brewster and upgrade Bissouma to Zaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Some massive flops going on at the minute, i notmally have KDB and mane from day one and for the whole season but i think it a 2gw in and both were out.
    Can not imagine many ppl have there WC left.
    Going to bench boost this week
    Planning to remove Keane(def) for someone with points potential but unsure where to look
    With 0.5 in the bank the squad shapes up like this AIS. Anyone got some where im lopking weak

De gea_McCarthy
    Ayling_Zouma_TAA_Keane_Kilman
    Mendy_Son(c)_James_Zaha_Salah
    Bamford_DCL_Jimenez

BB active
    McCarth, Ayling, Kilman, Mendy

Yeah sorry if that came across wrong, just in case you hadn't noticed.
    They do have a lovely run after the Liverpool game. I wonder how nailed Coufal/Masuaku are? Don't know if they are missing anyone or if they'll change their current shape. Definitely thinking about downgrading Robbo to one of them this week. Use that 2.5m elsewhere.

It's an interesting team you're going with. No Son, but Spurs coverage with Kane. No Everton players.
    Sterling will be a nice differential, but for me he's too frustrating to own and can flatter to deceive.

I like the 3-5-2 idea though. So many high scoring mids this season. Toying with that idea too, downgrade Wilson to Brewster and upgrade Bissouma to Zaha.

Yes Spurs fixtures will turn too so both could be too much.

On the flip side City have KdB back, are starting to take shape & have nice fixtures. Sterling captain could be a massive differential.

Coufal took Fredericks place when he got injured but he has been much better then him & I think will retain that for foreseeable. Masuaku was a regular in Moyes’ 1st stint too so both look solid.

There is an argument for 3-4-3 with a lot of forwards scoring but overall I think Zaha & Grealish are just as good as any forwards in their price range or below

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Some massive flops going on at the minute, i notmally have KDB and mane from day one and for the whole season but i think it a 2gw in and both were out.
    Can not imagine many ppl have there WC left.
    Going to bench boost this week
    Planning to remove Keane(def) for someone with points potential but unsure where to look
    With 0.5 in the bank the squad shapes up like this AIS. Anyone got some where im lopking weak

De gea_McCarthy
    Ayling_Zouma_TAA_Keane_Kilman
    Mendy_Son(c)_James_Zaha_Salah
    Bamford_DCL_Jimenez

BB active
    McCarth, Ayling, Kilman, Mendy

I wouldn’t be going for Jiminez if wildcarding. Wolves not been great at all.

Ings or upgrade to Werner.

Looks like Werner is on pens now too!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Looks like Werner is on pens now too!!!

Jorginho was subbed off before peno.

• Advertisement

Bit of a re-jig

Guaita —> Martinez
    Cancelo ——-> Coufal
    Son ——-> Sterling
    Mahrez ——-> Foden
    Maupay ——-> Werner
    Wilson ——-> Brewster

If you were only going to listen to one bit of advice then I’d advise you to get rid of James. I wouldn’t buy him for 4.5m

He will need an injury to Azpilicueta or Chilwell to get regular starts. It’s that simple.

He not nailed-on like a shedload of fullback are. He was torture to own.

Just save yourself the headache.

If you were going to listen to 2 bits of advice my second would be to go 3-4-3.

My final bit of advice would be to not spend more than 4.5m of any defensive asset. Maybe with the exception of Lamptey.

Advertisement