Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Would you mind sending on a link to the changes?

I had thought it would be the usual this September and my firm is no help in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Is there anyone else hoping to do the PPC this autumn but who doesn't have the final Fe-1 results letter? The deadline is tomorrow but the Law Society has not issued the final letter in time, despite my pestering.

I know the Law Society don't need it themselves but my firm (big 5) has asked for it. I've sent the firm all my other documents but I haven't heard back from them to confirm they are OK to proceed without the results letter and I don't want to hassle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

don't worry - deadline is 1st June, but you can submit weeks after and be fine, especially in the big 5, A&L only closed their applications today for 2022 TC. All it is is a €50 late fee. I would imagine not getting it submitted by Late July would be an issue however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scarson216

Anyone have any tips for getting their FE1 completion letter any quicker/how long did it take? I have been chasing them via phone/email for two weeks now and still nothing (bearing in mind I completed FE1s in October 2021). My training contract firm are starting to get annoyed because I can't sign my contract until they have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Not sure now but I think that the rules are changed now. The trainee doesn't look for it. The company will get it from Law Society directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

Anyone get word back from Philip Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fe1 2020

Did anyone hear anuthing

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

Anyone know when we can expect to hear back from A&L 2022 TC ? Closed a while ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

got an email last Thursday about an interview this Thursday 23rd June for the ALG TC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 HupitGame

Is it true that A&L have raised their trainee salaries to 48k? Other big 5 firms are slacking!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Any ideas what the other big 5/10 are paying? I’m commencing my traineeship next year but they don’t tell you your salary until you start!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HupitGame

Surely it says so on your contract?

No, it says remuneration will be decided upon commencement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Would anyone happen to have downloaded the CSSO's recent Trainee Information Booklet and be able to share it with me? The page is just 404 not found now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Whaaaat?

Anyway it's normally in the €40k + range.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

Hi guys, I just got offered a traineeship last minute, but I'm completely lost with the application to the Law Society, does anyone have any tips for the application or how the process works? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mouzey

I've not sat my first bunch yet but i would have assumed it does'nt take this long to get your results?

Sat and passed my final 3 FE1s last October. Have contacted the Law Society 5 times politely between then and now.

Have been told they are processing it and there’s a big demand. Surely it’s not that much of an ask for sheet of paper reflecting the results I already know I received?

and I hear some people have gotten them quickly so it’s completely up to chance when/whether you get them or not I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wonderboy2010

I don't know if that is true. I wouldn't be surprised though. I know trainee salaries from the other Big 5 ranges from 45-47k, which are subjected to an incremental salary scale annually. If ALG raised their trainee salaries to 48k this year, the other firms' trainee salaries would probably increase too. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

• Advertisement

Anyone on here starting at Blackhall in September want to maybe start a new thread? Any fellow A&L trainees?

Does anyone know what the mid-tier firms like ByrneWallace or Eversheds pay their trainees? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

If true then it shouldn’t be that surprising really. When you consider the general rise in inflation (and specifically in Dublin), that’s not really much of a jump given that their starting salary was 44k for the last like five years as far as I know. Obviously it’s not bad at all comparative to other careers, but the big 5 trainee salaries don’t seem as amazing when you put it into context. How long it takes you to get to that point, tax, cost of living in Dublin, and the hours you’re actually putting in in a large corporate firm. Blackhall is really the only thing that’s a good deal. Not moaning, more just that trainees shouldn’t feel like they’re on the pigs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

If anyone is looking to get their foot in the door in one of the big firms, there’s a great paralegal opportunity that I can refer you for. Feel free to shoot me a DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FE1_Hun

Hi guys, wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. I have a TC and just realised today that PPC1 is a lot longer than I thought and the 24 month period of in office training won't start until after PPC1 which runs until Sept-June. Does anyone whose firm pays a salary during the PPC know if this commences after the PPC1 when the office training begins, or does it begin as soon as you start PPC1? Also if I'm wrong about anything here correct me please, I'm not sure how I only learned of this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcarroll9

Hi, this is the first year of the new Blackhall format - just one long stint. Firms are generally obliged to pay you the entire time you are in Blackhall.

I think, however, that there is some way around it - maybe if your contract with them doesn't start until after PPC1 so you're not an employee yet or something? This, i understand, is rare and is not really a good look.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/trainees/mintraineesalaries.pdf

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 himself there

When are the opening and closing dates for applications generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LegallyPending

Generally around middle/ end September and close by end October, some mid October. Some of the Big 5 have opened their applications now.

If i'm doing my first 4 fe-1s the end of september/start of october, do i need to apply for a training contract now? Even though the max amount of fe-1s im going to have is 4?

• Advertisement

I might be misunderstanding, if the applications are open until the end of October, would the interviews be in November or how does it work? Sorry, i cant find the info anywhere!

Advertisement