Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

f.

Post edited by murray132 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

What salaries are the big 5 offering trainees for the 2023/2024 intakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leitrimach

I think around 55k but unsure!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LoJB

I would have imagined between €40,000 - €49,000 starting?

Really? That would be a massive boost compared to what we're being paid now.

• Advertisement

I know simmons & simmons, maples and dechert all play 50k +

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DarthBhfeidir

Never heard of anything that high, but can imagine that it has increased as trainees have to be attracted to Dublin.

I’ve heard the biggest firms offering €44,000-€47,000. Some big firms are a surprising amount below that. I know a guy working for one of the biggest UK firms getting €32,000.

Simmons & Simmons and Dechert likely pay more as they only take on two or three trainees each year, which would probably deter top tier trainee applicants.

That's surprising to hear about Maples as they're barely a top 10 firm and have much larger intakes than Simmons & Dechert.

Just a side question, anyone any idea what;s the most prestigious/best firm to train at? I've heard Arthur Cox/A&L are considered best rep wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HupitGame

A&L/Matheson/Arthur Cox would be considered the 3 main top-dog firms in the country, both in terms of their solicitor count, client list, and perceived prestigiousness. But they're obviously also very difficult to get into considering how many graduates apply to these firms and the quality of the applicants. Someone else in the thread mentioned a UK firm paying trainees getting paid 32k. I believe that's Addleshaw Goddard, but could be wrong. On the other hand, another international firm like Pinsent Masons pays 44k. Large international firms like Dechert can afford to pay their trainees above and beyond big 5 considering the size of their intake is about 2. But that's the exception realistically.

I am training at one of those firms. Salaries for the big 5 are on or around 42 to 50k, increasing for every year of experience that a trainee has. Salary reviews were conducted recently with modest increases. This is not including the many perks these trainees usually get (work phones, free meals if working late, plenty of social events with open bars, etc). Firms also sometimes fund overseas trips for trainees (Matheson intake went to Madrid, another firm to Milan). I wouldn't look at the money difference in making a decision between the big firms, they all pay basically the same plus or minus a couple thousand.

The salary is not as impressive as one might think. I worked in a particularly busy department as a trainee, and having done the math (considering no OT), I was barely earning above the minimum wage considering the hours I was expected to put in. If you're in a transactional seat (as I was), it can get particularly mental. I recall having particularly bad luck and being on several different closings and having to working ridiculous hours with an unfortunate number of midnight or later finishes. That's not to frighten anyone, I don't believe my experience is typical, only to illustrate the point that at the big corporate firms, client service is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Anyone know what firms like Eversheds, ByrneWallace and RDJ are paying their trainees?

Anyone who did an interview with Eversheds hear back or know anyone who has?

Or in general, does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from a trainee interview?

They would each be in the €30K-39K range. RDJ Dublin may pay more than RDJ Cork/Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legalbeagle20

Louise said we should hear back by Monday (today) so hopefully soon!

It says on Eversheds' trainee booklet that they pay "€43,000 starting salary which will be increased each year over the trainee programme".

… …

Hopefully! I will post if I hear back!

The Eversheds trainees in my year (year 1) are paid less than €40K for sure, probably closer to €35K.

wow - they should amend their brochure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DOSb77

Did anyone hear anything from BW?

No - how long ago was your interview?

November 4th. 2nd interview. They said two weeks, which would have been last Friday....

Anyone heard back from Ogier?

Finding some firms already have offers out, the remaining ones are very late and slow to the game. I have an interview with Matheson Thursday.

Hoping my current place comes back with an offer before they make theirs to be honest (having read Hupitgame’s post). Big firm, but fairly reasonable on the hours.

I got the call there so they're getting back to interviewees today!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

has anybody interviewed with Matheson previously? If so what was the interview like? What did the presentation involve!

TIA

Fantastic - I hope it was good news for you!

So what firms have actually actually concluded their recruitment process...As indicated through offers to candidates or PFO's? It would be good to compile a list here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcarroll9

No update.

What stage are you looking to hear back regarding?

I had an initial call with them about 3 weeks ago and was told id hear back in 2 weeks. I followed up and heard nothing since.

they said they were interviewing in cycles and at that stage had 4/8 traineeship slots filled.

a friend of mine applied after me and has not had her application acknowledged.

• Advertisement

Second stage. Same story as you as it happens, they told me they had filled 4/7 positions however.

Anybody heard back from Dillon Eustace on second round?

Advertisement