Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

yeah. A win in Ennis is required and long overdue. The Clare lads are quite dismissive of our chances but it’s not an impossible task to go down there and put one over on Low-Han and his troops. It would mean the trip to limerick and possible ‘mauling’ wouldn’t matter..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I cant understand this negativity that every result that we can’t control is a bad result for us. Take care of our own business first.

we need to look at the performance of the first 2 games we were better than Cork and should’ve put Tipp away. We should be going into the last 2 games with the belief we are good enough to win each. Focus on Clare see where we land after that then it’s all guns blazing against the AI champs in their back yard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭914

This comment! Spot on.

Qualification is in our own hands with 2 games to go, a win in Ennis most likely even puts us into a Munster Final.

Look after our own business and it's doesn't matter what happens elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

without being smart i would love to know who them clare people are , everyone on here talked about how dangerous this waterford team could be , since they started playing direct they look a different side and without a chunk of last years side in the process

what i would be hoping for is that waterford play a sweeper to counter rodgers and o'donnell and not go 15 v 15 and target cleary and david mc for high balls which they are weak under

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JD. 60

The Cork win has really upped the ante for all teams. Limerick could go out, if Waterford beat them. Cork would sneak through if they beat Tipp (but only if Waterford lost both games). Alternatively, Waterford could still get through (on scoring difference) on 3 points but only if Tipp beat Cork and then lose to Clare.

Clare have had a nice 3 week break and will be a tough nut to crack. At least, Waterford won't down tools like the last visit to Ennis. The danger is, if we put everything into this match and come up short, there's only a week before meeting Limerick, who will be fighting for their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

What's everyone's thoughts on the new Azzuri gear?

Do the county board have any sign off on these? Don't get me wrong, there's actually nice stuff there this time but the Waterford GAA logo is almost hidden on the jackets/tops. The jackets/tees look more like Suir merch than they do Waterford GAA.

https://azzurri.ie/Waterford-GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Any word on when tickets will go on general sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭decies

The logos are shocking on those azzuri merchandise and to be honest a lot of them have being for a long time . There’s one thing taking the public for granted but churning out these inferior washed out logos is frankly insulting .

I wouldn’t say Clare clubs will send many back.

I know it’s a long shot but you could try this competition:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭skaface

What terrace are the Waterford supporters in on Sunday, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭terryrogers

Clare are 2/5 with bookies and that could be shortened further tbh. They've beaten Waterford now for the last good few years, and beaten them comprehensively whenever they've played in Cusack park. Funnily enough the last time Waterford came out on top was when Davy Fitz was still with Clare.

Clare have played against a Davy managed team 4 times I think since he left Clare and have won all 4 pulling up. They either raise their game against his teams or else they know too well what to expect from them.

Clare people can talk all they like about how dangerous Waterford "could" be, but if they are to be frank it's all lip service. Realistically Waterford need everything to go right for them plus an under par performance, red card, etc. for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Montys return

Waterford beat Lohan's Clare in 2020.

What happened to Wexford under Davy against Clare is irrelevant to Sunday.

We are up against it but certainly have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JD. 60

The pressure is on Clare so. Clare have blown hot and cold in their 2 matches to date. I think it's going to be pretty close on Sunday.

I hope Davy brought in a good sports psychologist this year. The biggest challenge in our next two games is the mental one. I know personally that it feels like an uphill battle that's almost impossible to overcome. Hopefully the players are in a good place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

reading some more commentary by Clare supporters and they are still saying things like ‘if we can’t beat this Waterford team then we have no business thinking about all irelands’…..‘we have the better forwards’…..’how will Davy deal with SoD and TK’ (as they like to refer to Shane O’Donnell and Tony Kelly as)…..great motivation for Davy and add in the bad blood that we are told exists between him and low-Han and this adds even more ‘needle’ into the mix 😀

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,006 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lot of permutations this weekend and simplest thing for us is to 'win' and then don't give 2 **** what happeneds between Tipp and Cork

You could say 'Limerick have screwed us' without pucking a ball against Us. They brought Cork back into the mix, made Clare hungry for a home win and then themselves needing to put us back into our box

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭skaface

Any word on who our referee is on Sunday.. I see Tyler Walsh is the man in the middle for the Cork v Tipperary game in Thurles

Liam Gordon of Galway is listed on the Munster Gaa website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

good, waterford never look comfortable being favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best case we sort out our own business and finally get a win over Clare, something we haven't achieved since 2020.

Failing that obviously don't want to go down by much as scoring difference could be a factor later. I believe we'd also be hoping for either a draw in the Tipp/Cork game or a Tipp win. Definitely not a Cork win as that would then have them on 4pts and leapfrog us, meaning we'd need a result in Limerick.

There could be a situation whereby Clare and Tipp win this weekend, Cork would be gone but we'd go into the final game v Limerick hoping Clare beat Tipp for us and, if we can't win or draw, put in a respectable performance to keep the score difference to our favour. That would have us through on 3pts (as would Tipp but we'd have a better score difference given the head-to-head was a draw).

Yes I'm getting a bit ahead but just trying to envision a situation where 3pts would be enough to get out of the group, I think the above is the only way it could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Unless Tipp draw their last 2 matches and Waterford lose both then all 3 teams on 3 points. Decided by scoring difference then and would depend on how much Waterford lost by. Highly unlikely I know.

Anything can happen in the Munster Championship. Simple on our end 'Win' on Sunday were through. Our 3rd game has always been a curse with all of those coming from Clare and Limerick

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/permutations-leinster-munster-hurling-champonships-597529

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Or you could also say we screwed ourselves by not closing out the game against Tipp

any way what’s done is done it’s still in our own hands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes in Waterford's hands and that's all you can ask for. Even if Cork win still not certain of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Agreed. Win enough games and you go through. It's not Limerick's job to be helping us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

There is nothing wrong or incorrect about anything that these Clare fans have said.

We expect to win but understand Waterford are dangerous.

Two games to go and two chances to progress. We’re the only unbeaten team.

We’ve got this!

Would Clare go full throttle against Tipp if they beat us ?

Tipp and Cork fighting for there lives, Clare would prefer a Cork win and ourselves a Tipp win (which creates its own issues) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Clare beat us and they are on 4 points.

Cork beat Tipp and they are on 4 points.

We would be on 3 points.

Tipp on 1 point.

Limerick on 4 with us play in the last game.

So Clare would need at least a point against Tipp on the final day, unless they fancy that Limerick will take care of us. A risky game to play.

Where would a draw between Cork and Tipp leave us? Tipp still in with a shout, Cork gone as we’d have them on head to head? We’d need Clare to beat Tipp on the final day then to be guaranteed to go through third, unless we pick up more points ourselves which would probably see us into a Munster Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Montys return

Also, if Tipp drew their last two games and we lost both of ours, there'd be 3 teams on 3 points so would be between ourselves and Cork on scoring difference. We'd need to lose those two games by no more than 5pts combined.

We want to be in the Munster Final. Effectively guaranteed if we win on Sunday.

Advertisement