Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Punt Road

obviously we 100% need to win next week in what going to be a tough 50/50 game, but I
    would possibly think cork losing today helps us. (At least if all the remaining games go as the bookies expect)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

That’s the spirit. I can see where you got the username 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 31 McBurgermacs

Is it 4 in a row were hoping for?

21 down in cork

22 in walsh Park

23 in thurles?

V 3 different managers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

any word of tickets being sent back and for sale on ticket master yet for next sat. It’s my only hope of getting more than one..!

Re cork losing. Means they are out unless they get a miracle result versus limerick and also beat tipp which is more likely but two pts for cork would never be enough…?

will todays result for tipp knock so much stuffing out of them will they be able to raise their game vs us next weekend…..Cahill will definitely be up for putting us to the sword after last years defeat he’s hardly going to be complacent and assume a victory is a given especially after us beating cork last week..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 cbwfd

Don't think so. If Clare lost today they'd still fancy themselves to win 2 games against ourselves and Tipp to get them through whereas a Cork defeat means they really look done for as they still have Limerick to play. Beat Tipp next week and we should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Going by Tipp's performance today, that should be well-acheivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

never have a better chance now to get out of Munster .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Agreed that’s the rock we’ve perished on many times in the past
    when we’re expected to win we fold

Tipp are not as bad as they showed today and we’re in no position to be cocky given our recent record in Walsh Park

Show up 100 pc focused and we’ve a great chance of beating them

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭spideyman92

I'm the same refreshing ticketmaster every hour it feels like haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cork got through in 2022 after losing there first 2 opening games one in which derailed us but a hungry Limerick team in Round 3 even at home might be a step too far for Cork

Never say never in this bastard of a Munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭JD. 60

Waterford beat Tipp in 2008 AI semi final, after which Tipp dished out numerous beatings to us, until 2021.

Surely Waterford will continue their recent trend against them, given that Tipp will be physically and psychologically damaged by today's outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Huge game Saturday, win and we're all but through to the AI series. Without sounding cynical but it would also give a bit of a "free hit" in Ennis and Limerick (the latter against a side who could afford to rest players for the Munster final after they no doubt finish Cork's season next game and top the group - yet another factor showing how nicely the fixtures worked out for us this year).

Simply have to win, Tipp will be coming in with the same situation knowing their championship is as good as over if they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

Things are not right in Tipp, Cahill in my opinion has lost the dressing room. It’s common knowledge that Cathal Barrett has left the panel due to a verbal spat with Cahill, there was a further fall out with the McGraths brothers after the last league game where Cahill brought a rebel band up to Antrim for a bit of team bonding session which didn’t turn out too great if you read between the lines.

Personally I think we should go all out on Saturday night and beat Tipp and leave the fringe players at it vs Clare and Limerick. I’d much prefer to finish 3rd than head into a Munster Final vs Limerick and maybe take a bit of a psychological blow by any sort of defeat. Going this route we’d play our last game vs Limerick on 26/5 and then play Laois / Kerry on the 15/6 and vs Kilkenny/ Galway on 22/6. There’s a good month there to get things right between the Limerick game and the Kilkenny/ Galway game. If successful then, we’d then have our first free hit at Limerick in the All-Ireland Semi Final. I think Davy will have a plan and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes down this route or else he could go gun hoe at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

our last Munster title was 2010, are we really in a position to pick and choose what games to win or lose here? While I do think Tipp are a beaten docket, we’ve seen how quickly things can go pear shaped in Waterford.

It’s all about Saturday, get the job done there and then start thinking further down the road. Lose on Saturday, we’re staring down the barrel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dilinja1

Tipp definitely reduced their effort in the second half yesterday, yes limerick played well but once Tipp missed that goal chance around the 25th minute the game was up. Tipp were spent v waterford last year having thrown the kitchen sink at limerick the week before. Looked like they decided not to fall into that same trap during the second half yesterday. We will see a much better performance from Tipp in walsh Pk. Both teams have to win. Will be like knock out as waterford having to go to clare or limerick next looking for a win never works out Setup to be a right battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's a completely 50/50 game against Tipp so I wouldn't be looking past Saturday night. They're getting a lot of slack from the Tipp fans, a phrase I've heard this morning already is "an embarrassment to the jersey". They'll be a wounded animal and that's very very dangerous.

No its not, you always go the path of least resistance. Its basic logic. You avoid Limerick till the last possible point. Winning a Munster Championship means absolutely nothing. Zilch!

the players will disagree. 99% of fans will disagree. You think the players are not bothered about going for a Munster medal and are happy to leave Limerick win 6 in a row? Pure nonsense. Avoiding teams is also nonsense, if you want to win things you have to beat the best teams to do so. What’s the point of playing the game if you’re going to try and avoid getting to finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whitenblue93

well said, this Gardner fella is on another planet altogether, one game win and he’s planning all Ireland tactics aswel as a Munster championship doesn’t matter a f**k. Wonder what he’s smoking 😂😂😂😂

• Advertisement

Go away out of it ya lula! 😂 when did you carry out that survey on the 99% nonsense you are sprouting. 😂 Basic sports psychology is of the essence here. You don’t want a scenario where you play Limerick in a Munster final and get beat knowing you have emptied the tank and then playing with the factors of either picking up an injury or suspension, and then having to face them in a semi final or final knowing that 6 -8 weeks previously you were beat. You want to hit Limerick in Croke Park with full steam. Basic stuff man! I never said anything about winning all Irelands etc. I simply said the logic is there and you want to take the path of least resistance.

Post edited by Gardner on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 reggaa

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭JD. 60

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2024/04/29/no-shame-in-losing-to-limerick-but-sunday-could-not-have-gone-worse-for-tipperary/

IT article, in which Liam Cahill has a dig at Derek McGrath …… strange thing to bring up, as Malachi Clerkin says.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

9 days ago, Waterford were regarded as No Hopers and now, after 1 win, against a side around the same level, in a home game, where a lot went right for the team, the national expectation is that Waterford will steamroll over Tipp. It's reactive analysis & I for one don't see it.

I honestly feel if Waterford had Limerick in 1 of the first 2 games, they would have taken a heavyish defeat, perhaps not as heavy as Tipp, but a defeat. I think Cahill set up specifically for Limerick yesterday & he will have a totally different tactical approach next Saturday. This tactics did not work yesterday but I think Tipp would have been obviously hoping to win, but would have had alternative plans in case of defeat & I expect them to bring something new next week.

With the manner of the defeat, I feel there will be a backlash from Tipp, especially in the opening 10 minutes. I’m certain Cahill will go at specific players such as Stephen Bennett, Callum Lyons, Michael Kiely to try to get a reaction early on & entice them to retaliate. Waterford will have to be very disciplined. I’d also expect Tipp to revert to the tried & tested such as the McGraths & Bonnar & I know Cathal Barrett played for his club this weekend so he may also be available. There is no way Forde, Morris & co will be as poor next week & I think, similar to Waterford in the league, they dropped too many deep & left their forwards isolated upfront yesterday. 

I do think if both teams play to their potential, with Waterford using the same progressive tactics as last week, I think Waterford are a better team but I am fearful that Tipp, as Cork did this weekend, improve vastly in their second game. It’s going to be a huge challenge, make no bones about it. Cahill will be mad to get one over Waterford as well.

By my calculations, a Waterford win Saturday does not guarantee Waterford safe passage through to the All-Ireland series if they were to lose to Clare & Limerick. They would be on 4 points and the max Cork or Tipp could get to would be 4 but only one of these teams could get to 4 as they face each other. However Clare would also be on 4 if they defeat Waterford & lose to Tipp. It would then come down to score difference. A win would go a huge way to getting them through.

so basic psychology is for players, management & supporters to run scared from a team? Have you approached the county board to ask for a job as psychologist for the team? Some logic you have there.

What’s this bullshît about “path of least resistence”? It’s a game of hurling, you go out and try and beat what’s in front of you. I don’t know what planet you’re living on, but I’m thrilled I’m not on it too. Not wanting to get to a Munster final because you’re scared of getting beaten or picking up injuries? What else? It could be really sunny on Munster final day and the players mightnt be wearing factor 40, sunburn is an awful affliction for inter county hurlers. They should definitely not want to get to a Munster final, I’m sure the players would be delighted to be sat at home watching it instead as you suggest.

jaysus 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭supernova5

must be the biggest load of unadulterated scutter ever posted on a Gaa forum, the mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

I personally would kill for us to win a Munster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Utterly bizarre for Cahill to bring up an article McGrath wrote 2 years ago as some sort of motivating factor against Waterford. The man is a busted flush at this stage

let’s hope we can take care of business on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement