Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

you could call him/her that but I think you are being a tad harsh……the stats and match descriptions were always a good read….can’t imagine the hours it took to analyse a game the way he/she did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

I'd say "a tad harsh" is an understatement. The guy's analysis was a lot better than many of the sports journos "writing" for the broadsheets. It is Gardner who is talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭decies

the minor match desperate stuff so far and am not talking about the desperate commentary . Good god man calm down . 3 points to 2/07 after 24 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭decies

Easy win for cork minors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

that’s quite a hammering especially given that it’s a home game……is the ‘raw material’ just not there……heard last week that there are quite a number of 15 year olds on the team….does this suggest they are exceptionally good for their age or alternatively the standard of u16/u17’s isn’t great and they have to rely on younger ones…? Last year from memory there were quite a few hammerings at this grade also…?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭carter10

We have now won just 1 out of our last 17 minor hurling matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

we were also told that last years team was exceptionally young and it was about building for this year, yet we’re being given the same story again. As the old saying goes if your good enough your old enough.
    last year we didn’t even have a Tony Forristal team our strongest competes at Sonny Walsh level so that would be in a par with the likes of Kerry and Antrim
    A crisis is unfolding right under our noses for a number of years unfortunately the co board will wait until we’re competing at Christy Ring level before they think to act on it

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

I wouldn't call any of the people working for local newspapers "sports journalists". Read the examiner for yourself. his "stats" were basically counting how many times a fella had possession. If you want stats and understand tactics go over to Sean Flynn's twitter page.

Post edited by Gardner on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭carter10

Crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There’s a difference between Stats and Analysis to be fair.

I agree though, most the the ‘Sports Journalists’ for local papers are just fans that want to give their own opinion on things.

Not everyone wants Sean Flynn’s level of detail when reviewing a match though. There’s a positive to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

I think if you look back at post-match reports by Giveitfong, he provided a lot more than just possession counts and stats, to be fair. And I when I said that he was better than most sports reporters in the broadsheets, I wasn't referring to local papers. I was referring to the national broadsheets (and btw the Irish Examiner isn't a local paper, it's a national one). I can guarantee you that these days anyone writing match reports in national newspapers will have had to have gone to university, studied journalism, and have several years of experience before their work would be considered for publication – but imo anyway, Giveitfong was still better than many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All, please accept my apologies in advance for posting this on the Waterford thread.

I am looking to purchase a set of portable goals for our U12s (and younger groups).

I see Goalpost Ireland in Waterford manufacture portable goal posts.

Have any of you or your clubs purchased from Goalpost Ireland previously?

I would be grateful if you could let me know whether these portable goals are of a decent standard.

There is a set for EUR 740 on the website, but there are no photos.

This appears to be on the cheap side, so perhaps the quality isnt great and they are more suited to the back garden rather than the GAA pitch.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.goalpostireland.com/product/juvenile-portable-4-57m-x-2-13m-15x7-gaa-48-3mm-aluminium-goal/

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Good quality ya. Our club would always buy from them and we’ve never had an issue.

I don’t recall any such posts about last year’s team? In fact very few played up last year. I think Cooney and Cummins were on the panel, but I don’t think any more than that. Possibly a few more were on the extended panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Ah lads that's brutal. Was there not talk of some ten year plan there a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

No sign of tickets on ticketmaster anyway. Presume they wont be put online outside of business hours

• Advertisement

The Deise Rising plan you’re referring to I imagine? There was plans previously but no action taken. The Deise Rising launched maybe 3 years ago now I’d say. It targeted a new approach for Deise Og squads, working specifically with the younger ages 12/13/14 and started to develop them from there. Next years minors are the first to have come through that structure having started at U14 under the revamped programme. It could be complete coincidence that this group is deemed to be a promising group, or maybe the new structure has helped with it. Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

highly doubtful that any tickets get to Ticketmaster but stranger things have happened.

it’s more than 3 years ago now as it was pre covid and things stood still for a while

to be fair they’ve delivered on Walsh Park which was one of the main goals, sorting out finances and generating more revenue was another one. Not sure of the state of play there

the Development of underage talent was too far down the pecking order for my liking and seemed to focus more on the greater Waterford city area where there was a larger playing pool and increasing playing numbers. Nothing seems to have improved in the sense that Ballygunner continue to get stronger and the other city clubs and the likes of Passage and Tramore show no signs of catching up

I think if they were targetting those areas it would take more than a few years to catch up with a well oiled machine like Ballygunner.

Tramore in fairness seem to be improving. They’re in the premier intermediate hurling and compete well at that grade going by the results last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cbwfd

I think it was mentioned here during the league about how well Wexford were doing and the benefit of having a local manager over the team who everyone is behind and playing a great style of hurling and if only Waterford could be like that.

Result today in Antrim shows how little the league really matters when it comes to form for championship and we definitely tend to get too caught up in it.

Has there been an update on Shane Bennett? Would love to see him back in contention as he really gives something different to the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pudz2180

Davy mentioned in interview after game last Sunday that something happened Shane Bennett in training on the Tuesday night and that he needed surgery. Didn’t say what had happened him and when asked if he was gone for the championship he said they would know more in the next week or two. Does anyone know what happened and if he’s gone for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Results went our way this weekend but still a long way to go. We have watch out for the Tipp backlash, we're going for 3 championship wins I a row against them then all the Cahill vs Waterford stuff

Clare off for a few weeks with Cork hosting Limerick in 2 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Would have thought Clare losing would have been better for Waterford. Playing a demotivated Clare team in Ennis if they had lost to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They'll never be demotivated against a Davy managed team

Serious bottle in this Munster championship with one win been so important. Limerick have one foot in the Top 3 already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

Advertisement