Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

GT89 wrote: »
    I believe the virus is relatively harmless to healthy people. It is possibly an issue for the vulnerable/immunocompromised but for healthy people it is a relatively mild dose I know nobody whose gotten seriously ill with covid know people who've had a positive pcr test and said it was no worse than a bad cold.
    Lol Jesus Christ. The ignorance on display here is amazing.
    "It can't be a global crisis cause I personally don't know anyone who's gotten seriously sick"

Honestly, why do you think this is a reasonable stance?
    Do you think that this argument is anything other than embarrassing to yourself?

Seriously....
    I don't know if the restrictions will be permanent or not but it does seem to be going on an awfully long time one year for what was originally two weeks to flatten the curve.
    Ok. Then no restrictions will be permanent. You also don't believe the bull**** conspiracy theories.
    Awesome.

Thing is when I post on other threads I'm told to post in the ct forum
    Yes, because you're posting ridiculous, poorly thought out, embarassing nonsense.
    Where else would you post it?

What you're claiming doesn't have a place in serious adult discussions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

King Mob wrote: »
    Yes, because you're posting ridiculous, poorly thought out, embarassing nonsense.
    Where else would you post it?

What you're claiming doesn't have a place in serious adult discussions.

So you can't question or disagree with the covid narrative pushed by the government?

So you can't question or disagree with the covid narrative pushed by the government?
    You're not asking questions. You're making nonsense claims that don't line up with reality.

You're "questioning" things in the same way flat earthers "question" science.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You're not asking questions. You're making nonsense claims that don't line up with reality.

You're "questioning" things in the same way flat earthers "question" science.

Common tactic, plenty of instances of it on this section of the forum..

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent; rather than laboriously having to prove that all politicians are reptoid scum, one can pull out one single odd piece of evidence and force the opponent to explain why the evidence is wrong.

• Advertisement

Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent; rather than laboriously having to prove that all politicians are reptoid scum, one can pull out one single odd piece of evidence and force the opponent to explain why the evidence is wrong.
    "I'm not saying there's a giant conspiracy, I'm just asking if there is."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You aren't for one second asking any genuine questions.

You are trying to discredit facts and science with bad logic under the guise of "asking questions", its a common tactic conspiracy theorists use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Logical fallacies constitute the playbook for conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I believe the virus is relatively harmless to healthy people. It is possibly an issue for the vulnerable/immunocompromised but for healthy people it is a relatively mild dose I know nobody whose gotten seriously ill with covid know people who've had a positive pcr test and said it was no worse than a bad cold.

I am against restricting the freedoms of healthy people over a virus that is relatively harmless to them. Sure thing protect the vulnerable in hospitals and nursing but restricting the freedoms of healthy people is just ridiculous.

I don't know if the restrictions will be permanent or not but it does seem to be going on an awfully long time one year for what was originally two weeks to flatten the curve.

And I knew a healthy 26 year old who died from covid (not with covid) so what's your point? Let it run through society and we all just take our chances?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

And I knew a healthy 26 year old who died from covid (not with covid) so what's your point? Let it run through society and we all just take our chances?

Some people are going to die from covid unfortunately I'm not denying that. I think we should take our chances and if people feel the need to take extra precautions then they can on their accord.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Some people are going to die from covid unfortunately I'm not denying that. I think we should take our chances and if people feel the need to take extra precautions then they can on their accord.

I posted this is in a covid thread(where it belongs):

"From the very start of this the government has been very upfront in saying that 80% of people will only have a mild illness if they contract covid19. It's been known all along that there is a high survival rate and that probably only 5% of people will be hospitalised. The thing they have been trying to avoid is a situation where due to the way covid19 spreads we have a situation where 5% of the population requires hospital treatment in a very short of time.
    To put some figures on that there are approximately 700,000 people in Ireland over 65 years of age. 5% of that is 35,000. The health service just doesn't have the capacity to cater for this number of people with a short space of time so lockdowns are necessary to slow the spread of covid19, not to eliminate in it, just to slow the spread of it.
    This isn't rocket science and a majority of the population seem to understand it, even if most people are fed up with it at present, but there are a minority of people for which it just doesn't sink in and can only think of how it affects them and couldn't care less about vulnerable people dying."

As I said it's not rocket science but some people like yourself don't get it.
    I haven't even included young people or vulnerable people under 65 who may be affected by covid in those figures.

Are you ready to discuss the topic of the thread title yet? What measures are going to be permanent?

Some people are going to die from covid unfortunately I'm not denying that.
    Yes you are.
    You keep insisting that the dangers of covid are being overblown. You keep saying the numbers of deaths is wrong. You keep saying that covid is not dangerous.

And all of this is based on one person you know who had it and was fine. (Though given how dishonest you are your buddies have been on this topic, I suspect you are lying about this.)

It's funny that you were moaning about "just asking" questions a few posts ago, yet you keep dodging questions put to you.

Why are you posting on this thread when you keep just dodging any difficult questions put to you?
    Why not just leave and keep your ignorance to yourself and you don't have to get upset by all this troublesome questions and facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Some people are going to die from covid unfortunately I'm not denying that.

They won't die if they don't get covid! or at least don't get covid before they've been vaccinated.
    I think we should take our chances and if people feel the need to take extra precautions then they can on their accord.

So if you were the government you would just tell people to take their chances, and if the mortality rate is 1% you would have 50,000 dead people on your hands.
    (and if the government did that they wouldn't be the government for long!)

That would probably be fine for you if it's just other people, and relatives of other people, that ended up dead,
    and if you didn't work in a hospital having to turn away people to die at home
    (and the mortality rate would likely rise if people weren't able to at least get oxygen - read about what's happening in Brazil at the moment)

You are displaying very little understanding of the big picture!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Possessions make you rich???????

I do feel mandatory mask wearing in shops and such settings will be permanent.

Pub settings will also be interesting to see if it will all be seated with social distancing and not people up at the bar again mixing and talking in close quarters.

Our mentality has been changed the last year or so how long will it take for normality to return if it ever does is unclear at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Pub settings will also be interesting to see if it will all be seated with social distancing and not people up at the bar again mixing and talking in close quarters.

Our mentality has been changed the last year or so how long will it take for normality to return if it ever does is unclear at the moment.

Why do you feel this? Given the CDC have lifted the mask requirements and we are looking at doing the same?
    The guidelines say fully vaccinated people can:

Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
    Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
    Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do you think these things will be permanent because of a continuing risk from viruses in certain circumstances, so maybe certain restrictions come and go as cases come and go over the coming years....

... Or do you think that mask wearing and social distancing in the pub will be required into the future for no virus related reason and because the government just wants to place some silly rules on us?

Ok. Why?
    How does this benefit those behind faking the pandemic?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

It depends what you mean by permanent. I believe people's attitudes to someone coughing, sneezing and spluttering with obvious cold or flu like symptoms will be changed for a long time and if that person isn't wearing a mask they may be given some strange looks.
    But I don't see it as a conspiracy. I'd compare it to more like the wearing of seatbelt in cars that was seen as optional until the 90's.

Ok. Why?
    How does this benefit those behind faking the pandemic?

Who said anyone is faking the pandemic?

Several conspiracy theorists here.

Do you believe this?
    Do you believe the pandemic is being exaggerated to push to make masks permanent?

Why do you believe masks will be permanent, who is behind this push and why are they doing it?

• Advertisement

Several conspiracy theorists here.

Do you believe this?
    Do you believe the pandemic is being exaggerated to push to make masks permanent?

Why do you believe masks will be permanent, who is behind this push and why are they doing it?

I believe it is very much real I've had it myself.

Did I think it was this god awful thing portrayed by the media?

No. I had a much worse flu Xmas December 2019.

I understand I am not an old person with underlying problems.

The emphasis should be on getting the country healthy slim and full of vitamin D over the next few years in my opinion.

As far as masks I do think they will be permanent in shops etc as what is the benifit of removing them?

No. I had a much worse flu Xmas December 2019.

I understand I am not an old person with underlying problems.

This is anecdotal. A friend of mine had Covid with no issues, a colleague of mine (in his forties) died with it.
    As far as masks I do think they will be permanent in shops etc as what is the benifit of removing them?

We didn't wear masks permanently after the Spanish Flu epidemic, why would masks be mandatory once Covid passes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is the entire reason for the thread and its title "all restrictions are permanent, don't be a boiling frog."

What is the benefit of keeping the restrictions if they are no longer needed?

If vaccines mean that only the vulnerable get an extra annual booster along with their flu jab each year, but otherwise cases are entirely manageable then why would government impose mask requirements that nobody would follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

robinph wrote: »
    That is the entire reason for the thread and its title "all restrictions are permanent, don't be a boiling frog."
    But why are you posting here if you don't believe that^ ?
    (Seeming as you attribute that to the other poster)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Irish Times just reported that Denmark has suspended all vaccines of Astro Zenneca due to blood clots forming in some patients. One death.

Not great news for people with allergies today.

But why are you posting here if you don't believe that^ ?
    (Seeming as you attribute that to the other poster)

Did you mean to direct that question at me?

I don't believe restrictions are permanent, so I'm here questioning the claim from those who do think they will be permanent. The claim in the thread title is that covid is fake and governments are trying to limit us by making us wear masks. We're just trying to figure out why governments might think that was a useful thing to do, but nobody has come up with a reason yet.

Irish Times just reported that Denmark has suspended all vaccines of Astro Zenneca due to blood clots forming in some patients. One death.

Some people got blood clots. It happened that they had had a vaccine. There is no spike in the number of people who might normally get blood clots. Extreme caution means that the vaccine gets suspended temporarily. Nothing to see here, move along now.

It's the equivalent of B&Q stopping selling screwdrivers because some people hit their hands knocking in some nails and had all coincidentally bought some screws the day before.

One death? out of 750,000 people vaccinated in Denmark? That's odd because according to conspiracy theorists on Bitchute and elsewhere people are dying left, right and center from vaccines

• Advertisement

No.

Ok.
    Why would masks be permanent and why is the government exaggerating the pandemic to trick people into wearing masks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement