Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

GT89 wrote: »
    Will there still be social distancing markings and masks by then probably. It probably won't be lockdown but still covid measures like masks and social distancing by then. I think people will still wear masks like they do in Asian countries even when this is over.

People wearing masks in Asian countries before Covid were doing it of their own volition.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

You want to find someone who doesn't answer their phone?

Will you pay the court fees because it was out of charge or because they were asleep?

Is the "bang on the door, wake up, Vee need to talk to you" next?

Are you saying you agree with the quarantine, but think trusting people to self isolate is sufficient?
    Or do you mean that you don't agree with the quarantine?

Tanks, troops.

And prayers.

If you don't have an alternative solution just say so!

Government are just trying to scare people out of booking holidays away ...

Yes, I think the government, and the majority of people in the country, would like people to not travel abroad until this Covid thing is no longer a threat.

I acknowledge this inconveniences some people whose business might required travel, or Irish people abroad who would like to come home urgently for family reasons, etc.

However lockdowns every few months are damaging to the economy, and to people's normal health and well being.
    So we need to look at how to manage this without having to lockdown.
    One part of that would be to try to prevent fresh infections being brought into the country.
    Visitors are not being barred from the country, simply being asked to isolate for 14 days.
    Irish people are being discouraged from travelling abroad, where they would risk catching the virus and bringing it back to the rest of us.
    It can hardly be argued that a foreign holiday is essential (apart from not supporting our own tourism industry in time of need)

Have you a problem with any of that? and if so which bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Tanks, troops.

And prayers.

After pages of attacking every measure against the current virus, you give an inane response like this as a solution, sums it up really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I used to think no, that we would go back to normal. But with the new variants I think covid-19 measures are going to be permanent. It's sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I used to think no, that we would go back to normal. But with the new variants I think covid-19 measures are going to be permanent. It's sad but true.

What's going to be permanent? And who is benefiting from this?

EyesClosed wrote: »

Obviously governments, it makes policing people much easier. I don't doubt that the virus is dangerous or that measures need to be taken to slow its spread including current measures but they will keep going on and on because there will always be a new variant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why are the measures still in place nearly one year with a vaccine available? Whatever happened to two weeks to flatten the curve in fact the initial covid measures back in March were meant to be implemented for 3 days. We were being told then the covid measures were until there is a vaccine now there is a vaccine and they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Obviously governments, it makes policing people much easier. I don't doubt that the virus is dangerous or that measures need to be taken to slow its spread including current measures but they will keep going on and on because there will always be a new variant.

This isn't the first pandemic, where is the evidence from previous episodes that current restrictions will be permanent. Like we may have permanent improvements in how we deal with this sort of stuff in the hospital environments, but for the general population what exactly do you think will be permanent?

• Advertisement

Tanks, troops.

And prayers.

It's easy to attack and find fault with something.
    It a lot more difficult to come up with a solution.
    I've seen you attacking various aspects of how the virus is being dealt with.
    I have not seen you propose any solution!

If you had your way, what would you propose we all do?

Do you propose we all go back to normal, and go about our business as if the virus didn't exist?

Why don't you spell out clearly what you want, and we can then discuss the merits of your solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why are the measures still in place nearly one year with a vaccine available? Whatever happened to two weeks to flatten the curve in fact the initial covid measures back in March were meant to be implemented for 3 days. We were being told then the covid measures were until there is a vaccine now there is a vaccine and they are still there.

"There is a vaccine" is a nonsense statement in the context if Ireland and restrictions.

When you can say " ~80% of the population have been vaccinated", then you can have an argument if restrictions are still in place.

Huh? The vaccine rollout began less than 4 weeks ago and we have feck all of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Why are the measures still in place nearly one year with a vaccine available?
    Because there's limited quantities of the vaccine and it hasn't been fully distributed yet.

Again, why is this a difficult question?

Could you explain which measures are permanent and what is the motive behind this idea?

This isn't the first pandemic, where is the evidence from previous episodes that current restrictions will be permanent. Like we may have permanent improvements in how we deal with this sort of stuff in the hospital environments, but for the general population what exactly do you think will be permanent?

Travel restrictions,not just international but national, not being able to visit other peoples houses, bars, restaurants and various other shops and establishments not being able to open, social distancing, masks as well but to be honest that doesn't bother me. I hope that the above doesn't stay permanent but I'm very pessimistic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Travel restrictions,not just international but national, not being able to visit other peoples houses, bars, restaurants and various other shops and establishments not being able to open, social distancing, masks as well but to be honest that doesn't bother me. I hope that the above doesn't stay permanent but I'm very pessimistic at the moment.

OK they are in place to stop the spread of a pandemic. 90 people died yesterday... Are you OK with that?

What makes you think they will stay permanent after this? Do you understand how the government makes money? They need things to be open... So I don't understand how closing things is in the governments best interests. Also controlling people? The government where voted in by people...

OK they are in place to stop the spread of a pandemic. 90 people died yesterday... Are you OK with that?

What makes you think they will stay permanent after this? Do you understand how the government makes money? They need things to be open... So I don't understand how closing things is in the governments best interests. Also controlling people? The government where voted in by people...

I said I was ok with the current measures. What I'm not ok with is next year and nothing has changed and we're in the same situation.

The government seem to be doing just fine right now and everything is closed. Also their best buddies are hoovering up all the wealth at a rapid rate, not just in Ireland but all over the world, the wealthy are loving this.

The lockdown last April/May reduced the numbers of cases and got the virus to a low level. This allowed lots of shops to get open again, and also restaurants, and even visiting other households.

If we get the virus under control we should be able to get back to at least that situation. If the vaccine works, and it gets rolled out to enough people, then we will get much closer to normal.

I too don't want it to be permanent, and I don't want me and my family to be locked down. However I support those things today because I think they're necessary.

Those are restrictions to deal with a current pandemic. Do you really think we will permanently not be allowed to visit other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Those are restrictions to deal with a current pandemic. Do you really think we will permanently not be allowed to visit other people?

What would you do if we weren't? For example what would you do if the government came out with some program whereby you had a maximum of say 5 households you could visit in a 5 mile radius and had to register them on a website and this was "temporary" but with no definitive end date, again what would you do?

Because you seem to meekly take whatever they throw at you right now convincing yourself it's for your own good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

What would you do if we weren't? For example what would you do if the government came out with some program whereby you had a maximum of say 5 households you could visit in a 5 mile radius and had to register them on a website and this was "temporary" but with no definitive end date, again what would you do?

Because you seem to meekly take whatever they throw at you right now convincing yourself it's for your own good.

Do you have any sources that show this is planned for Ireland? If not, why worry about extremely unlike what ifs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It depends on the reasons behind, which you haven't provided.

If the above are common sense measures to e.g. deal with a pandemic, then yes. If there's no reason for them, then the scenario is completely absurd.

You seem to be constantly obsessed with blindly "sticking it to the man" for no reason other than it's some belligerent world view you have.

You are such a rebel. Away with you if you are going to make such childish posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

I said I was ok with the current measures. What I'm not ok with is next year and nothing has changed and we're in the same situation.

The government seem to be doing just fine right now and everything is closed. Also their best buddies are hoovering up all the wealth at a rapid rate, not just in Ireland but all over the world, the wealthy are loving this.

Large corporations are asset-stripping ruined SMEs, cannibalising their market share and consolidating wealth.

Asset inflation is driving the wealth inequality gap and covid measures have sent that into hyperdrive. As we know, wages do not keep up with monetary inflation as it is. There have been pay cuts with covid and will be wage freezes at least.

Add in that many former independent businessmen and women will now have to join the regular labour force, bloating the labour pool even more.

It may be that when this bust cycle has run its course, people will be allowed to trade normally again. However corporate consolidation is vast. Ben Bernake has said the post-covid economy will be characterised by personal austerity and centralised corporate power.

Do you have any sources that show this is planned for Ireland? If not, why worry about extremely unlike what ifs?

Extremely unlikely what ifs?

I live between 2 countries. Most people in the Netherlands would have laughed at you if last September/October you said the government would impose a curfew and yet here it is.

Extremely unlikely what ifs?

I live between 2 countries. Most people in the Netherlands would have laughed at you if last September/October you said the government would impose a curfew and yet here it is.

France introduced a curfew in October, why do you think most people would have thought a curfew was nonsense in NL when their neighbours just brought one in?

You keep switching tact and making unfounded statements as fact.

growleaves wrote: »
    Large corporations are asset-stripping ruined SMEs, cannibalising their market share and consolidating wealth.

Asset inflation is driving the wealth inequality gap and covid measures have sent that into hyperdrive. As we know, wages do not keep up with monetary inflation as it is. There have been pay cuts with covid and will be wage freezes at least.

Add in that many former independent businessmen and women will now have to join the regular labour force, bloating the labour pool even more.

It may be that when this bust cycle has run its course, people will be allowed to trade normally again. However corporate consolidation is vast. Ben Bernake has said the post-covid economy will be characterised by personal austerity and centralised corporate power.

NAIL ON HEAD.

Just with the (deliberately manufactured) 2008 crash assets will be gobbled up and then while corporate taxes will be slashed, personal income tax will be hiked and public services will be once again gutted to pay for "getting the economy back on track" and the usual suckers will say "we have to accept these austerity measure to get things moving again" like eejits as their take home pay is fleeced and the super rich howl with laughter at the latest exercise in taking candy from a baby.

NAIL ON HEAD.

Just with the (deliberately manufactured) 2008 crash assets will be gobbled up and then while corporate taxes will be slashed, personal income tax will be hiked and public services will be once again gutted to pay for "getting the economy back on track" and the usual suckers will say "we have to accept these austerity measure to get things moving again" like eejits as their take home pay is fleeced and the super rich howl with laughter at the latest exercise in taking candy from a baby.

Apart from the 'deliberately manufactured' bit and the suckers bit at the end this isn't untrue. Rich people keep getting richer, especially during uncertain economic times. Not all obviously, but the trend is definitely upwards for them. Still not a conspiracy.

France introduced a curfew in October, why do you think most people would have thought a curfew was nonsense in NL when their neighbours just brought one in?

You keep switching tact and making unfounded statements as fact.

The Netherlands isn't France. They don't just follow suit. By your logic Germany should legalise cannabis because their "neighbours" Holland have done so.

• Advertisement

The Netherlands isn't France. They don't just follow suit. By your logic Germany should legalise cannabis because their "neighbours" Holland have done so.

By my logic, the Dutch wouldn't mostly have laughed at the idea of a curfew. You don't need to fabricate meaning from my posts, I have been pretty direct throughout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement