Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Seanergy wrote: »
    Someone pops up and self proclaims a lawful excemption without anyone asking if it was lawful, smells of bull to me. Jumping up in solidarity with respect for a potential liar also stinks.

I don't know the poster who said they have reasons not to wear masks. If some countries have exemptions for this, well, be it.
    I do not want to know what the poster's reasons are, it's not business of mine. If they say they have a problem, I believe them. Shouldn't I?
    So if someone has problems, I could show my solidarity without being questioned.
    If such exemptions do not really exist, well, this is a different story.

So don't be too hard on yourself about wasting water. I wouldn't worry too much about dropping litter in the wrong bins, we are not all perfect, we can only try to be our best, consistently.

If you wear a mask you can worry less also.

OK, thanks for your words of support and encouragement.
    I do wear a mask where it is required, I tend not to wear it where it isn't mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Sconsey wrote: »
    Yesterday you were confused how an airborne respiratory virus might be a risk. Today you seem to be struggling with the concept of isolating infected people to limit it's spread.

Let me spell it out for you...isolation is not a treatment.

Thanks

I bow down to your superior knowledge of this ever so dangerous virus that most people who get it don’t even know they have it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I'm sorry for you and I show my utmost respect for your condition.

Though it has nothing to do with this thread, but I want to tell you that I might have broken speed limits, and I regret it.
    But since the spreading of this pandemic I have lost respect for wasting water and dropping litter in the wrong bins. I don't care anymore for what is around me. It must be one of the many faces of the depression for what I'm forced to live.

My condition is sensory and I don't require the upmost respect from anybody.:D
    I am totally fine when I do not have something touching my face also the mask gives me a sensation of not being able to breath.

I can speak up for myself and I do what annoys me is the people that feel unable to stand up for themselves being bullied.

By the way I do not have a GPs exemption letter as many of you think is required I do however have a condition that is covered in the GUIDELINES.
    Sone people are not required to wear a face covering there is nothing about GP letters in the GUIDELINES.

On entering a business they are allowed to encourage the wearing of a face covering once I use the word exemption that is the end of the matter in accordance with the GUIDELINES.
    If they have said it to me in a rude or abrupt way I answer them back in the same manner.
    If the exchange goes beyond that I am prepared to whip out the phone to video the encounter but so far I have not had to do that.

Denying entry or service to a person who is NOT REQUIRED UNDER THE GUIDELINES to wear a face covering could be a very costly mistake for a business and while I hate the claim culture if I am denied entry or service anywhere I will be happy to make the business pay.

Giving dirty looks or making comments to people who are not required to wear face coverings is offensive and rude and I am happy to treat these people like the dirt they are.

I had an old man give me dirty looks in the supermarket in 3 different aisles he was with his wife.
    The 3rd time I walked over to him and asked him if he had a problem to which he timidly said no I followed that up by do we need to get the store management over? to which he timidly replied no.
    In response I shouted at him well them keep your eyes on your shopping in future and mind your own ******* business I got a sorry from him and all the time his wife and the sense to keep her mouth shut.

When you or anybody else goes out and about what other people are doing in regards to face coverings is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Picking on people you might get somebody timid and it that case shame on you.
    Or you might pick on somebody like me and in that case God help you.

Straight from the HSE guidelines.
    Who should not wear a face covering

Face coverings are not recommended for anyone who:

has trouble breathing
    is unconscious or incapacitated
    is unable to remove it without help
    has special needs and who may feel upset or very uncomfortable wearing them
    needs to communicate with someone who has learning difficulties, is hard of hearing or deaf
    In these cases, if the person can wear a visor, it will give them some protection. But these are the only times when you should wear a visor. Cloth face coverings are a better way to protect yourself from COVID-19.

This is the official guidelines on who is not required to wear a face coverings if you disagree that is fine but if you decide to be a dick to somebody prepare to be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thanks

I bow down to your superior knowledge of this ever so dangerous virus that most people who get it don’t even know they have it.....

So do you now understand that isolating an infected person is not some 'amazing treatment'?? Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I do wear a mask where it is required, I tend not to wear it where it isn't mandatory.

Your welcome, stay safe and try to pay attention to the speed limits so that you have no regrets, most deaths on the roads do involve speeding.

• Advertisement

I don't know the poster who said they have reasons not to wear masks. If some countries have exemptions for this, well, be it.
    I do not want to know what the poster's reasons are, it's not business of mine. If they say they have a problem, I believe them. Shouldn't I?
    So if someone has problems, I could show my solidarity without being questioned.
    If such exemptions do not really exist, well, this is a different story.

I agree with your post I am quoting it just to highlight something for the benefit of others.:)

Face coverings are mandatory however they are not compulsory as per the GUIDELINES.

Look at the bottom line of this poster they all say this.

EhEg8UCX0AAYZUQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I am totally fine when I do not have something touching my face also the mask gives me a sensation of not being able to breath.

I can speak up for myself and I do what annoys me is the people that feel unable to stand up for themselves being bullied.

By the way I do not have a GPs exemption letter as many of you think isrequired I do however have a condition that is covered in the GUIDELINES.
    I had an old man give me dirty looks in the supermarket in 3 different aisles he was with his wife.
    The 3rd time I walked over to him and asked him if he had a problem to which he timidly said no I followed that up by do we need to get the store management over? to which he timidly replied no.

In response I shouted at him well them keep your eyes on your shopping in future and mind your own ******* business I got a sorry from him and all the time his wife and the sense to keep her mouth shut.

Something stinks. If you don't require the upmost respect from anybody why are you so concerned with looks people are giving you let alone approaching an old man and shouting at him whilst in close range?

You are aware droplets spread from talking loudly and shouting and that older people might be more vulnerable.

So you can't have anything against you skin, so your wearing a visor, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

By the way I do not have a GPs exemption letter as many of you think is required I do however have a condition that is covered in the GUIDELINES.
    Sone people are not required to wear a face covering there is nothing about GP letters in the GUIDELINES.

On entering a business they are allowed to encourage the wearing of a face covering once I use the word exemption that is the end of the matter in accordance with the GUIDELINES.
    If they have said it to me in a rude or abrupt way I answer them back in the same manner.
    If the exchange goes beyond that I am prepared to whip out the phone to video the encounter but so far I have not had to do that.

Denying entry or service to a person who is NOT REQUIRED UNDER THE GUIDELINES to wear a face covering could be a very costly mistake for a business and while I hate the claim culture if I am denied entry or service anywhere I will be happy to make the business pay.

Giving dirty looks or making comments to people who are not required to wear face coverings is offensive and rude and I am happy to treat these people like the dirt they are.

When you or anybody else goes out and about what other people are doing in regards to face coverings is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Picking on people you might get somebody timid and it that case shame on you.
    Or you might pick on somebody like me and in that case God help you.

Straight from the HSE guidelines.

This is the official guidelines on who is not required to wear a face coverings if you disagree that is fine but if you decide to be a dick to somebody prepare to be treated as such.

If this story of yours is true which I seriously doubt then if you did shout at another customer then consider yourself lucky that you were not told to leave the store. You said that this other person was an old man. I wonder if he had been a younger or strongly built person would you have said the the same thing to him? I think not.

Seanergy wrote: »
    Something stinks. If you don't require the upmost respect from anybody why are you so concerned with looks people are giving you let alone approaching an old man and shouting at him whilst in close range?

You are aware droplets spread from talking loudly and shouting and that older people might be more vulnerable.

So you can't have anything against you skin, so your wearing a visor, right?

I am all about respect and I read all the rules on this site the message is attack the post but not the poster.

I have already explained my condition which I am not required to do I am not requited to wear face coverings.

I will forgive your post as I know you most likely mean well.

However please accept my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Zero chance I will wear a mask outside

• Advertisement

If this story of yours is true which I seriously doubt then if you did shout at another customer then consider yourself lucky that you were not told to leave the store. You said that this other person was an old man. I wonder if he had been a younger or strongly built person would you have said te the same thing to him? I think not.

It's true and the this man decided to follow me around the shop giving me dirty looks this is crap I am not prepared to take.

I will stand up to anybody giving me crap people need to mind their own business.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No business is obliged to serve you if they don't want to, except possibly post offices and pharmacy's but there are still other ways to access their services without entering their building if needed. You may be able to threaten the minions working in a big chain store with them losing their jobs, or threaten the PR people running the Twitter account with a pile on... But if some small local shop has a sign up saying "our staff are vulnerable, no entry without a mask" (which I've seen variations in a few places) then you are not going to get much sympathy with your refusal to wear a mask campaign against them if they decide not to serve you.

robinph wrote: »
    No business is obliged to serve you if they don't want to, except possibly post offices and pharmacy's but there are still other ways to access their services without entering their building if needed. You may be able to threaten the minions working in a big chain store with them losing their jobs, or threaten the PR people running the Twitter account with a pile on... But if some small local shop has a sign up saying "our staff are vulnerable, no entry without a mask" (which I've seen variations in a few places) then you are not going to get much sympathy with your refusal to wear a mask campaign against them if they decide not to serve you.

Jesus Christ this is what we are dealing with did you not read my posts?

I am not required to wear a face covering and yes I do have a condition that exempts me and I carried around a digital copy of the diagnosis should I have an encounter with the Guards.

Your opinion stated above is just that if I am refused service I will let the courts decide the proper interpretation of the law.

Edit I see you are a moderator I hope you have checked the actual law and not just spouted your opinion as such.

Refusing service to somebody on the bases of a disability is not a smart move.

It's true and the this man decided to follow me around the shop giving me dirty looks this is crap I am not prepared to take.

I will stand up to anybody giving me crap people need to mind their own business.

I still call BS on your story but in any case point remains that you are not entitled to physically or verbally abuse someone in a store or any other public place for that matter. Maybe this man should indeed have taken you up on your comment and called the store management over to sort out the issue. I know I would have done had it been me at the receiving end of this outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In response I shouted at him well them keep your eyes on your shopping in future and mind your own ******* business I got a sorry from him and all the time his wife and the sense to keep her mouth shut...
    Picking on people you might get somebody timid and it that case shame on you. Or you might pick on somebody like me and in that case God help you... if you decide to be a dick to somebody prepare to be treated as such.

You were the one who picked on this person needlessly and in a bullying manner.
    All you to do was politely explain you are unable to wear a mask from medical reasons from a safe distance.
    You needlessly escalated a situation of friction caused by the virus.

You have introduced your actions into the topic of the thread so it is open for comment, it is not attacking the poster.
    And the behaviour stinks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You were the one who picked on this person needlessly and in a bullying manner.
    All you to do was politely explain you are unable to wear a mask from medical reasons from a safe distance.
    You needlessly escalated a situation of friction caused by the virus.

You have introduced your actions into the topic of the thread so it is open for comment, it is not attacking the poster.
    And the behaviour stinks.

I think you misunderstand my point I am not attacking people here if I did not want a discussion I would not have posted and by the way I am not normally like this I can be timid a lot of the time something really has to make me angry to rile me.

Not this forum but out and about all I was doing was fetching my weekly shop people need to mind their own business I am not required to politely explain anything to people who are being rude and should be minding their own business.

I have mild Autism by the way physical sensations and sounds can be unbearable to me I can't wear a visor or a mask and I have tried just for the sake of peace.

All I want when I am out is to be left alone and for people to mind their own business.

Now I accept my behaviour above may not be my greatest moment but if people minded their own business like they should these situations would not arise.

I still call BS on your story but in any case point remains that you are not entitled to physically or verbally abuse someone in a store or any other public place for that matter. Maybe this man should indeed have taken you up on your comment and called the store management over to sort out the issue. I know I would have done had it been me at the receiving end of this outburst.

So you are saying you would be following people around giving them dirty looks as this man did?

I still call BS on your story

:D:D

Ok I played it up for effect this is boards the encounter has to be dramatic.

The incident did happen however some details have been altered for dramatic purposes.

The man did follow me around giving me dirty looks 3th time I asked him was everything ok to which he replied yes and that was the end of it.

The dramatic version is something that could of happened.:D

Either why the more dramatic version was trying to hit the point home people need to not be judging what others are doing.

I am quite a timid person and I feel guilty even asking him was everything ok but I can't wear a covering.

Too be honest I find myself going out less as I don't want the potential hassle but in my mind scenarios like this have played out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you misunderstand my point I am not attacking people here if I did not want a discussion I would not have posted and by the way I am not normally like this I can be timid a lot of the time something really has to make me angry to rile me.

Not this forum but out and about all I was doing was fetching my weekly shop people need to mind their own business I am not required to politely explain anything to people who are being rude and should be minding their own business.

I have mild Autism by the way physical sensations and sounds can be unbearable to me I can't wear a visor or a mask and I have tried just for the sake of peace.

All I want when I am out is to be left alone and for people to mind their own business.

Now I accept my behaviour above may not be my greatest moment but if people minded their own business like they should these situations would not arise.

Are the other people in he shop required to not pay attention to what's going on in the shop around them?
    By what law are they not allowed to be nosy (as you see it)?
    No law, except politness.
    The same politeness that you should try to respond with in such scenarios, which you find challenging.

Also, the quickest way to defuse the situation from turning into more shouting is not to respond with a shout but with a polite soft comment from a distance.

If you have a low tolerance for such disturbances... don't let it bother you, if it does bother you, defusing the situation rather than escalation would seem like a more reasonable course of action?

And finally, doubtless this has already occurred to you, but unless you were shopping in a dedicated quiet time, there are all kinds of disturbances you are likely to come across - entrance queues, screaming kids, xmas music alarms... if you haven't already explored delivery, click & collect etc, now might be the time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are the other people in he shop required to not pay attention to what's going on in the shop around them?
    By what law are they not allowed to be nosy (as you see it)?
    No law, except politness.
    The same politeness that you should try to respond with in such scenarios, which you find challenging.

Also, the quickest way to defuse the situation from turning into more shouting is not to respond with a shout but with a polite soft comment from a distance.

If you have a low tolerance for such disturbances... don't let it bother you, if it does bother you, defusing the situation rather than escalation would seem like a more reasonable course of action?

And finally, doubtless this has already occurred to you, but unless you were shopping in a dedicated quiet time, there are all kinds of disturbances you are likely to come across - entrance queues, screaming kids, xmas music alarms... if you haven't already explored delivery, click & collect etc, now might be the time.

Read my post above most of the story was bull but it was based on a true story.:D
    Right in all honesty if I see a big queue I don't hang on and screaming kids and alarms do my head in I do aim for a quite time to shop anyway.

The sexed up version of events did play out in my head it seemed a better story for here.:D

I like to get my own shopping as I like to check the dates on meats and bread those professional shoppers will give you any rubbish.

I do also work full-time and things like alarms and noise are just something I have to tolerate face coverings are something I don't have to.

Anyway sorry for the dramatic bull I always have to take an argument to it's extreme conclusion.

My point however stands there are many people unable to wear coverings maybe give them some slack?

• Advertisement

Just to add I have never taken out a claim and nor do I even intend to.

Some people cannot wear face coverings and they are genuine.

As far as I know denying people like this service is illegal discrimination.

Maybe somebody who has real knowledge of the law could clear up this confusion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jesus Christ this is what we are dealing with did you not read my posts?

I am not required to wear a face covering and yes I do have a condition that exempts me and I carried around a digital copy of the diagnosis should I have an encounter with the Guards.

Your opinion stated above is just that if I am refused service I will let the courts decide the proper interpretation of the law.

Edit I see you are a moderator I hope you have checked the actual law and not just spouted your opinion as such.

Refusing service to somebody on the bases of a disability is not a smart move.

No shop is required to serve you. If they refuse to serve you because of a lack of you wearing a mask then it's because of the lack of the mask, if you happen to have some disability that warrants your lack of a mask then that is just a coincidence.

There is no requirement for them to serve you at all, disability or not.

robinph wrote: »
    No shop is required to serve you. If they refuse to serve you because of a lack of you wearing a mask then it's because of the lack of the mask, if you happen to have some disability that warrants your lack of a mask then that is just a coincidence.

There is no requirement for them to serve you at all, disability or not.

I will be honest here I am not 100% sure and I don't think you are either.

Refusing somebody with a disability does not sound right.

Children under 13 are not required to wear a covering just like people who have certain disabilities.

So you are saying a mother and child could be refused service?

This is the kind of idiocy being advocated be some people.

Just like the child under 13 I am not required to wear a covering.

So a mother goes into a shop with a 12 year old child and is served as the child is not required to wear a mask.
    I am not required to wear a face covering due to a disability but say I get refused service in the same shop I am being discriminated against on the basis of my disability.

Unless you are an expert on law I would be very dubious of your stated opinion on the matter.

:D:D

Ok I played it up for effect this is boards the encounter has to be dramatic.

The incident did happen however some details have been altered for dramatic purposes.

The man did follow me around giving me dirty looks 3th time I asked him was everything ok to which he replied yes and that was the end of it.

The dramatic version is something that could of happened.:D

Either why the more dramatic version was trying to hit the point home people need to not be judging what others are doing.

I am quite a timid person and I feel guilty even asking him was everything ok but I can't wear a covering.

Too be honest I find myself going out less as I don't want the potential hassle but in my mind scenarios like this have played out.:D

So, as I suspected, this "confrontation" with the old man in the store didn`t play out the way you originally made it out to be. OK then have a nice day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There is no universal right to service in a shop.

So, as I suspected, this "confrontation" with the old man in the store didn`t play out the way you originally made it out to be. OK then have a nice day.

But it could have.:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Thanks

No problem, with the nonsense you are coming out with it is easy to look knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭growleaves

I will be honest here I am not 100% sure and I don't think you are either.

Refusing somebody with a disability

The Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 deal with reasonable accommodation in the provision of goods and services.

You could take a case I'd imagine, then its up to a judge.

However I doubt you would be refused service after claiming to be disabled, most businesspeople are aware of equality legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Graham wrote: »
    There is no universal right to service in a shop.
    No, but you need to explicitly state what prevents people availing of the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Read my post above most of the story was bull but it was based on a true story.:D
    Right in all honesty if I see a big queue I don't hang on and screaming kids and alarms do my head in I do aim for a quite time to shop anyway.

The sexed up version of events did play out in my head it seemed a better story for here.:D

I like to get my own shopping as I like to check the dates on meats and bread those professional shoppers will give you any rubbish.

I do also work full-time and things like alarms and noise are just something I have to tolerate face coverings are something I don't have to.

Anyway sorry for the dramatic bull I always have to take an argument to it's extreme conclusion.

My point however stands there are many people unable to wear coverings maybe give them some slack?
    Maybe stick to the facts and tell the true story. Embellishing it with BS just renders the entire saga less believable. Extremes never aid any discussion.

Advertisement