Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

brianhere wrote: »
    designed to be worn for long periods and doing so is very harmful.

l]

I'm not reading a wall of txt but got this far. Who's asking people to wear the masks for long periods of time? If you're spending hours every day in shops etc at the minute then you need to evaluate your life choices.

Youre only asked to wear a face covering, just wear a normal cloth mask if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

From Guy Crittenden, who, for 25 years, edited the trade journal HazMat Management. (This was posted on Facebook.)

THAT MASK IS GIVING YOU LUNG CANCER

I happen to know a thing or two about masks and safety. Why? Because for 25 years I was the editor of an award-winning trade magazine called HazMat Management that covered such topics as pollution prevention and compliance with health & safety laws. We routinely published articles on masks, gloves, respirators and other forms of personal protective equipment (PPE). Now let me tell you a few things about that mask you’re wearing. And please note that what I’m about to share was also stated in the most recent edition of Del Bigtree’s program The Highwire when two OSHA mask experts spoke to the fact that the kinds of masks people are wearing were never (never!) designed to be worn for long periods and doing so is very harmful.

The blue typical mask depicted in the photograph contain Teflon and other chemicals. A Facebook friend reminds us: 1. Masks are “sterilized” with Ethylene Oxide — a known carcinogen. Many teachers in various school boards have been experiencing significant symptoms as a direct result of the effects of this chemical. 2. The masks contain (not sprayed with) PTFE which makes up Teflon along with other chemicals. I found and have posted the US patent to allow manufacturers to use PTFE as a filter in commercial masks… “breathing these for extended periods can lead to lung cancer.”

Don’t agree? Argue with the experts at OSHA, which is the main US agency, i.e., its Occupational Health & Safety Agency. These masks are meant to be worn only for short periods, like say if you’re sanding a table for an hour and don’t want to inhale sawdust. They don’t do anything whatsoever to stop the spread of any virus, and the emerging science of virology now understands that viruses aren’t even passed person to person. I know that sounds incredible, but it’s the case that the virus is in the air, you breath it in, there’s no way to prevent that short of living in an oxygen tent, and if you have a strong immune system you’ll be fine, and if you have a weak immune system you may have to deal with the effects of your immune system working to restore balance within your metabolism.

So let’s say you don’t wear the blue packaged masks, and instead wear a homemade cloth mask — the kind people wear over and over and hang on their rearview mirror and so on. Those masks are completely useless against a virus, and are also very dangerous. OSHA would never condone a person wearing a mask of this kind for anything more than the shortest time. Re-breathing your own viral debris is dangerous to health, and the oxygen deprivation children suffer wearing such masks all day will certainly cause brain damage. I’m not making this up. Again, you might say, well, Guy, you’re not a doctor. True, but I did edit that magazine for 25 years. That’s a long time and many articles on masks and PPE. I’ve attended numerous OH&S conferences and listened to experts discussing these matters.

You may hear people saying that surgeons and nurses wear masks like this all day. Um, no. No they don’t. They’re trained in the proper use of masks, which is to wear them in the OR, then dispose of the mask when they leave that room. Are you aware that operating rooms are actually supplied extra oxygen, to compensate for the reduction in oxygen flow from mask wearing? To my mind, it’s criminal (not hyperbole) to force children to wear masks all day. Setting aside the very real psychological effects, we’re going to have a generation of brain damaged children. Ever heard the expression, “Not enough oxygen at birth?” That’s a joke at the expense of a mentally challenged person, but that’s literally what we’re doing. And we’re told it’s to “keep us safe”! We’re told this by doctors who actually don’t know about PPE and laypeople who have no clue.

So, you can choose to believe me or not, but I was the editor for a quarter century of a magazine that had a strong occupational health and safety mandate, and I can tell you that the mask wearing currently mandated by governments and private businesses offers no health benefit whatsoever, in no way protects you or anyone else from any virus, and actually does you damage beyond wearing it for a few minutes. Got that? Good. Now please share this message and get the conversation going with parents, who must end this masking of children immediately. This is a very serious matter. And related to that, let me just state this doesn’t end for me when the lockdown ends or the masking ends. No, this ends for me when every politician and bureaucrat who inflicted this travesty, this crime against humanity, on the population of Canada (and other affected countries) is in the dock, and faces their misdeeds in a court of law.

And as for those of you who have put masks on young children, I will have a long memory on that score. A very long memory.

END NOTE: The CDC and WHO have acknowledged that asymptomatic people do not spread the virus, so the case for masks for such people is moot in the first place.

https://neverb4.net/is-your-mask-giving-you-lung-cancer/

:eek:

A2a0WD7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,401 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"MASKS CAUSE CANCER"

So the anti-maskers have decided to completely launch themselves over the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭Tork

pjohnson wrote: »
    "MASKS CAUSE CANCER"

So the anti-maskers have decided to completely launch themselves over the shark.

I'm just surprised none of the ones here managed to unearth this particular gem long before now. Just you watch, they won't be able to stop talking about it now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"MASKS CAUSE CANCER"

I'm all for reasoned questions and debate, kickback even questioning the accepeted narrative, but good jesus stuff like the above is just IQ in double figures stupid. Then again if the average IQ is 100, pretty much half of a population are cruising under that basic level. The "emerging science of virology" that's been around for nearly a century. It shows how little basic understanding of basic stuff morons like that guy have. That he ended up gainfully employed in an editorial position in a trade mag is startling enough, then again paper not refusing ink comes to mind.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"MASKS CAUSE CANCER"

Sharks give you cancer!!!!
    They also carry corona and transmit 5G

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

From Guy Crittenden, who, for 25 years, edited the trade journal HazMat Management. (This was posted on Facebook.)

THAT MASK IS GIVING YOU LUNG CANCER

I happen to know a thing or two about masks and safety. Why? Because for 25 years I was the editor of an award-winning trade magazine called HazMat Management that covered such topics as pollution prevention and compliance with health & safety laws. We routinely published articles on masks, gloves, respirators and other forms of personal protective equipment (PPE). Now let me tell you a few things about that mask you’re wearing. And please note that what I’m about to share was also stated in the most recent edition of Del Bigtree’s program The Highwire when two OSHA mask experts spoke to the fact that the kinds of masks people are wearing were never (never!) designed to be worn for long periods and doing so is very harmful.

<snip>.

https://neverb4.net/is-your-mask-giving-you-lung-cancer/

The same guy is selling his own masks online.....what?

https://pixels.com/featured/wahoo-wa-guy-crittenden.html?product=face-mask

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Covid19 wrote: »
    The same guy is selling his own masks online.....what?

https://pixels.com/featured/wahoo-wa-guy-crittenden.html?product=face-mask
    Not a shock tbh.
    America. The land of great contrasts; incredible scientific achievement on the one hand, on the other a nation of conspiracy nuts, religious zealots and snakeoil salesmen.

Conspiracy nuts who are also snakeoil salesmen. There's nearly always a grift of some nature going on with American culture. It's built on it, for good and bad, so that level of cognitive dissonance is very common. The Deep State is out to get you!!! Step right up!! Buy anti Deep State bracelet here. 19.99 or 35.99 a pair. No returns.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm not reading a wall of txt but got this far. Who's asking people to wear the masks for long periods of time? If you're spending hours every day in shops etc at the minute then you need to evaluate your life choices.

Youre only asked to wear a face covering, just wear a normal cloth mask if you want.

admittedly off topic of masks, but another horrible aspect of covid is this judgement that others need to "evaluate" their life choices.
    i see it a lot on boards and elsewhere

fcuk off and mind your own business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

paw patrol wrote: »
    admittedly off topic of masks, but another horrible aspect of covid is this judgement that others need to "evaluate" their life choices.

Not following guidelines and measures is unfortunately everyone's business at this stage, cuz few clowns can affect plenty of others..

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »

Normally I would agree with you 100% P, but when a disease is a community disease spread within the community that goes out the window and has done in every single plague event in history. Hell Samuel Pepys was noting it in the 17th century when London got a run of the plague and how teenagers were acting as if nothing was wrong and going home and infecting their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wibbs wrote: »
    Normally I would agree with you 100% P, but when a disease is a community disease spread within the community that goes out the window and has done in every single plague event in history. Hell Samuel Pepys was noting it in the 17th century when London got a run of the plague and how teenagers were acting as if nothing was wrong and going home and infecting their families.

This is no plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

Its a plague of shocking arbitrary state power and tyranny though. Which needs to be resisted.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is no plague.

Yes this is a much bigger problem.
    There are vaccines and\or antibiotics available for the different forms of plague.

Plague is far less contagious, in that many forms of it need a vector to spread such as flea bites, rodents etc

Covid is far more infectious human to human.
    That's why it is important to mask up!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes this is a much bigger problem.
    There are vaccines and\or antibiotics available for the different forms of plague.

Plague is far less contagious, in that many forms of it need a vector to spread such as flea bites, rodents etc

Covid is far more infectious human to human.
    That's why it is important to mask up!

The plague killed 25m people, you'd be lucky to get 25m people with a blocked nose from this bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The plague killed 25m people, you'd be lucky to get 25m people with a blocked nose from this bug.

1,174,186 confirmed dead of Covid, you keep going with your blocked nose bull$hit there good lad.

Covid has killed 1 million plus so far, and the year is not yet up.
    It has put similar numbers into hospital.
    Then there are many millions more with more severe symptoms than a 'blocked nose'.
    How many did plague kill last year?

I repeat, Covid is a much bigger problem to our society than plague.
    SO mask up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This is no plague.

I think you'll find, by definition, it is.

Plague:
    a. A highly infectious epidemic disease.

Covid has killed 1 million plus so far, and the year is not yet up.
    It has put similar numbers into hospital.
    Then there are many millions more with more severe symptoms than a 'blocked nose'.
    How many did plague kill last year?

I repeat, Covid is a much bigger problem to our society than plague.
    SO mask up.

Has it? A lot of countries, Ireland included, have said that they have overstated Covid deaths. I wonder what the final score will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Has it? A lot of countries, Ireland included, have said that they have overstated Covid deaths. I wonder what the final score will be.

It's seems patently clear you don't accept that this is a major health emergency that requires unprecedented action by all of society. However you employ pure supposition and don't show any actual facts to back up your assertion.

As an aside, have you spoken to anybody working on a ward with Covid patients or in ICU or rehabilitation? It would perhaps help convince you that this is no flu, no cold and no minor issue.

• Advertisement

Did all 25 million people due of plague? I assume you have excluded all the people who were about to die in the next 3 months in any case of other conditions? If that's what you mean by final score.

Our covid figures are a reliable indicator for the scale of the pandemic, at least if not more so than the estimates for plague deaths made by historians centuries later - even if they aren't 100% accurate.
    Nor could they be expected to be, given the complexity of the situation and the difficulty of establishing 'excess mortality' in the midst of a pandemic.

They are without any shadow of a doubt vastly in excess of the number of people who are dying of plague in the 21st century.

So I return to the point. Mask up, this is a bigger problem than plague, flu, colds, ebola or whatever other red herring disease that gets recycled in these comparisions.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's seems patently clear you don't accept that this is a major health emergency that requires unprecedented action by all of society. However you employ pure supposition and don't show any actual facts to back up your assertion.

As an aside, have you spoken to anybody working on a ward with Covid patients or in ICU or rehabilitation? It would perhaps help convince you that this is no flu, no cold and no minor issue.

Is a HIQA report factual enough for you???

https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2020-07/Analysis-of-excess-all-cause-mortality-in-Ireland-during-the-COVID-19-epidemic.pdf

As such, it is likely that the reported number of COVID-19-associated deaths overstates the true mortality burden of COVID-19. There are a number of reasons why this may be the case. The approach to COVID-19 mortality coding in Ireland has been one of precaution: all deaths where the individual had suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are to be classified as a COVID-19 death, as recommended by WHO guidance. It is possible that a proportion of the deaths occurred among people who were known to be infected with SARS-CoV-2 (coronavirus) at the time of death but whose cause of death may have been predominantly due to other factors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is a HIQA report factual enough for you???

Where does that remotely suggest this isn't a major health emergency?

Your fact in this context is not a relevant fact, it's a red herring.

Where's the comparable HIQA report on the death toll from any other disease you've incorrectly compared covid to?

What's your point?
    The reduction in the proportion if we can ascertain excess mortality with 100% accuracy changes nothing.
    As noted, this is a major health emergency.

Nothing in that report in any changes the fundamentals that this is a disease with the potential to kill thousands if not tens of thousands of people in this country.
    With the potential to send thousands into hospital and ICU.
    And masks are one of the ways to prevent that potential from becoming actual.

Graham wrote: »
    Where does that remotely suggest this isn't a major health emergency?

Where did I state that it wasn't? :confused:

Reading the thread would help, Not a plague, 1m dead, overstated, no facts, proof that deaths are overstated.

Your fact in this context is not a relevant fact, it's a red herring.

Where's the comparable HIQA report on the death toll from any other disease you've incorrectly compared covid to?

What's your point?
    The reduction in the proportion if we can ascertain excess mortality with 100% accuracy changes nothing.
    As noted, this is a major health emergency.

Nothing in that report in any changes the fundamentals that this is a disease with the potential to kill thousands if not tens of thousands of people in this country.
    With the potential to send thousands into hospital and ICU.
    And masks are one of the ways to prevent that potential from becoming actual.

You've admitted yourself you don't wear a mask to the actual guidelines provided, yet you think you know better than the rest?? :rolleyes:

*Dr Kim Roberts of the Trinity College virology department told The Irish Times that while there was some evidence suggesting face masks when worn correctly can have “a modest effect” on reducing transmission of Covid-19, “if not worn correctly, masks can pose as a hazard and can potentially increase the risk of transmission of the virus”.

* US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams not only wants people to stop buying facemasks to prevent the novel coronavirus, but warns that you actually might increase your risk of infection if facemasks are not worn properly.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said during an interview.

"Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," Adams said.

*Using a mask incorrectly however, may actually increase the risk of transmission, rather than reduce it.
    https://www.who.int/csr/resources/pu...ityrevised.pdf

*Acting Chief Medical Officer Ronan Glynn says while the level of compliance is encouraging, there are huge risks if people do not wear a mask properly.

"If we can just take the opportunity to remind people that if you are wearing them to wear them properly.

"We are seeing far too many people walking around with them under their chin.

"We are seeing many people wearing them but with their nose exposed.

"Neither of those things provide any protection and indeed may increase the risk."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Where did I state that it wasn't? :confused:

Reading the thread would help, Not a plague, 1m dead, overstated, no facts, proof that deaths are overstated.

Where did you state it wasn't a health emergency? Right here about an hour and a half ago, you've a short memory....

You've admitted yourself you don't wear a mask to the actual guidelines provided, yet you think you know better than the rest?? :rolleyes:

I don't wear a mask to the guidelines provided for their use as PPE when taking care of an infected patient.
    I do wear masks to the guidelines for their use as barriers by the general public in public settings.
    You are attempting to sow confusion by linking the two. So let's not revisit the guidelines argument which was shown to be utterly without foundation or merit.

The rest of your post is deliberate re-circulation of out-dated information and information taken out of context.
    The world and science has moved on.
    The emphasis and concern is not about surfaces transmission and masks as PPE to protect an uninfected person.
    Rather it is about droplets, aerosols and masks as barriers to contain the 'emissions' of an infected person.

I don't wear a mask to the guidelines provided for their use as PPE when taking care of an infected patient.
    I do wear masks to the guidelines for their use as barriers by the general public in public settings.
    You are attempting to sow confusion by linking the two. So let's not revisit the guidelines argument which was shown to be utterly without foundation or merit.

The rest of your post is deliberate re-circulation of out-dated information and information taken out of context.
    The world and science has moved on.
    The emphasis and concern is not about surfaces transmission and masks as PPE to protect an uninfected person.
    Rather it is about droplets, aerosols and masks as barriers to contain the 'emissions' of an infected person.

Why would the HSPC be providing guidelines to the general public regarding the use of masks as PPE when taking care of an infected patient? The document is LITERALLY called “use of face masks by the general public”.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/infectionpreventionandcontrolguidance/ppe/useoffacemasksbythegeneralpublic/Guidance%20on%20use%20of%20face%20masks%20by%20the%20general%20public.pdf

• Advertisement

Why would the HSPC be providing guidelines to the general public regarding the use of masks as PPE when taking care of an infected patient? The document is LITERALLY called “use of face masks by the general public”.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/infectionpreventionandcontrolguidance/ppe/useoffacemasksbythegeneralpublic/Guidance%20on%20use%20of%20face%20masks%20by%20the%20general%20public.pdf

If a member of the general public is caring for an infected person in their own household, and wearing a mask to try to protect themselves - which is what the guidance was originally drafted for. That document has evolved over time.

This is a dead end argument for you as it was the last time.

If you're going to quote the document, it is also the document that states:
    "There is evidence that wearing a surgical mask reduces the amount of droplets scattered from the nose and mouth."

Nowhere does it say, unless you follow every and exact guideline to the letter including:
    "Children under 13 years of age are generally advised against wearing a face covering."

Just as your tyres don't stop functioning if you don't follow the manufacturer's optimal care guidelines, nor do masks.

Advertisement