Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

Lol at me thinking I’d get change! 57% charge for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

You need to sign up to app and add a credit or debit card. You need a minimum of around 1 euro credit to start a charge and beware TOPPING up WHILE charging won't stop charger stopping due to low credit. You need to top up BEFORE starting charging and there is no auto top up feature so top up before you start a charge each time to say 30 euro to prevent stopped charge before you are full. Prices and charger types vary a lot. You can typically stop most chargers by pressing unlock twice on your cars remote but it depends on the charger and may be safer to use the proper method.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

I did top up but couldn’t figure how to initialise charging from app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭dsandson

Some of the chargers arent very intuitive. Especially if its the 50kW DC chargers that have no screen. You have to start it on the app, then press the start button on the charger. Caught me out before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

and they can dispense many times what a charger will do. Aswell as that they are supported by ancillary sales in the shop.

And they are making more than 3c/l

my circle K card gives a 4c discount and I often get an extra 4c off for the Parkkmgtag app. They certainly are not subsidising my fuel by 5c/l

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not all petrol/diesel pumps are supported by shops, in fact there's a lot of self-service petrol/diesel pumps after springing up in the last few years and they tend to be cheaper than others

The countries most expensive electric car chargers are applegreen and they are supported by shops in all of the locations they operate

The speed of filling is becoming less of an issue every day as the tech in more modern electric cars allows higher charging speeds

How much does your fuel card cost you a month? That's probably where their profits are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ensure you are logged into app and press select to start charging. Follow your nose to stop charging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saw new units in Dungarvan, Scanlons Yard, beside the existing ESB chargers. The nearby charger at the castle is not active yet though

Seems easygo now allow negative balances when started with app or fob. In the past charging would stop with +70c credit and confuse me. Even topping up while charging would not help. The credit needed to be in account before starting and there is no auto top up option unlike esb.

I also noticed on some lidl ABB brand chargers I could not get it to start by fob, and on the app it shows charging rate as 0kW when it's charging fine. These are very square ABB boxes are not the same units used at most easygo sites which are tritium brand.

That's good, shows a bit of flexibility within EasyGo. I bet it's limited to around 20 EUR, which is still fair.

From

Chris Kelly, the founder of Erapid which trades as EasyGo and CarCharger EV

Erapid Charger Company Limited, which trades as EasyGo - the country's largest private car charging network provider - and CarCharger EV, is to create 60 jobs after it received an investment of €30m by Aviva Investor.

Aviva Investors is the global asset management business of Aviva and it said it was making the €30m investment in Erapid as part of its Climate Transition Real Assets strategy.

Erapid, through CarCharger and EasyGo, currently manages over 4,000 charging points in 1,500 locations across the island of Ireland which are currently used by more than 50,000 registered drivers. About 2,000 new users have been added each month in 2023.

With the new investment, Erapid plans to roll out over 3,000 fast DC chargers onto the national charging network by 2032.

The company also plans to add over 20,000 commercial AC chargers into apartment, buildings, hotels and other key locations.

To facilitate this next growth stage, the company's new headquarters will be based in Maynooth, where the company has also established an operations support centre of excellence.

As part of the investment, Rubicon Capital Advisors - an Irish based merchant banking boutique and one of Erapid's largest shareholders - will also increase its stake in the company to further assist with the growth of the business.

Chris Kelly, co-founder of Erapid, said today's announcement will accelerate the company's mission to decarbonise transport, providing accessible and efficient EV charging solutions across the island of Ireland and into the UK.

"As Ireland’s largest owner and operator of charging stations, this strategic investment by Aviva Investors propels us into an exciting phase of growth," Mr Kelly said.

"One of the immediate goals resulting from this funding is the significant expansion of our network, including the rollout of over 3,000 fast chargers. We will also be hiring for up to 60 new roles across operations, customer support and sales," he added.

Mr Kelly said the investment marks an exciting new phase for Erapid and its two brands.

He said that the EV sales market in Ireland is booming but needs the infrastructure to catch up.

"This investment combined with our history of introducing the latest charging technology to Ireland means we are well positioned to create and scale a seamless EV charging network that supports a sustainable future," he added.

Adam Irwin, Fund Manager, Infrastructure Equity, at Aviva Investors, said the company's investment into Erapid and its two core brands CarCharger and EasyGo is a "terrific opportunity" to invest into one of its home markets and support the growing Irish and Northern Irish EV charging sector.

He noted that Ireland has some of the lowest public charger to EV ratios in the EU, giving potential for substantial growth in the platform as part of the transition from internal combustion engines and towards electric powertrains.

"We view this as a great opportunity for the money we look after on behalf of our clients to make a material contribution to delivering on the UK and Ireland’s net zero ambitions, whilst also meeting their long-term investment objectives," he added.

Easygo at kinnegad plaza both units seem to be offline or in fault. The ESB installed a hub right next to them and maybe easygo have been forced out. They were typically quick to fix their chargers when broken. I wonder if we will get official response from them, I'll ask

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's a nuisance, because my EasyGo card doesn't work on the ESB chargers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭innrain

You can pay directly on ESB website if you don't have an account. It will take you few minutes more though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

200KW charger vs 50KW .....not exactly a hard decision.

It's more have they been driven out by a monopoly site. If the site is owned by supermacs. The supermacs site in Donegal town is also a future esb only site. I can see more and more key sites going one provider only with kick back deals. Many cars can only charge around a 60kW rate, even those with higher headline speeds often only take the headline power for a short time when battery is fully preconditioned.

There is a new 2x50kW CCS in SC where Woodies Lucan is.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/581880

• Advertisement

Response from easygo re kinnegad

Regarding the chargers at Supermacs, Kinnegad, As Supermacs own the charge point, we are waiting on them to get back to us as to when we can proceed on site to repair the charge points . As of yet, they have not provided any date or timeframe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thats bloody ridiculous... So EasyGo get the bad rep for the units being down, but they are not being let onsite!!

It's double-revenue generating for Supermacs - firstly for selling units of electricity on their site and also by way of having customer charge, stay and eat... who's not to benefit from having a working charger? Odd.

Tested the charger yesterday. It is x2 CCS Tritium unit on 50kW input which means if a second car connects the power drops to 25kW for each. Nice facilities but 25kW is rather useless. Hopefully it is temporary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Quick one for any of you in the Galway area. Is the Easy Go rapid in the Bons Secour hospital out of limits now? The last 2 times I have attempted to use it, the car park has been closed and visitors have to use the other car park (which is useless if you need to charge).

Would be great if it was accessible as I'll be there over the next few days and this chargrs is just across the road from the in laws place.

I know there is a 50KW charger at the Texaco near the docks but the Bons Secour is just way handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Don't know about what has happened at the car park in the Bons, but this Applegreen 180kW is very close by as well without having to fight your way through the traffic on Lough Atalia Road to get to the EasyGo at the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭cannco253

Don't know about the Bons but there's an applegreen on the Tuam road now that is faster then the Easygo in the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Thanks @cannco253 and @CivilEx . I'll give that one a shot. Time to download another charging app. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Does anyone know if this 180kW EasyGo unit in Belfast is still operational? It has disappeared off my EasyGo app

• Advertisement

Maybe contact easygo helpline. Even if they say it's ok you may need an easygo RFID card to activate it if app activation is not an option.

Advertisement