Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

middle of the lane?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

Is the N84 any better, the list of N roads that are like this is fairly large I would imagine.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3532115,-9.018226,3a,75y,174.54h,77.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4QL4rhhx6CaGaIQ0F-TUA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I used to see a cyclest take the middle of the road every day used to go through traffic lights
    One day I saw him dead in the middle of the road

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    I used to see a cyclest take the middle of the road every day used to go through traffic lights

The centre line can be very slippy so it was pure stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Joey321 wrote: »
    As a cyclist I would not be in favour of hogging the middle of the road, totally understand why someone would do it but would not recommend it,

Its not hogging the road if you are doing it right.
    Your mindset is all wrong.

Stay left is not always safer.

Again, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Your reply was to a post where the other poster said it was necessary for a motorist to move to the other lane to pass safely. What relevance is your point about some roads being wide enough to pass safely without crossing the line? That's a bit like me responding to a post about heavy 'rush hour' traffic on the M50 by saying that it's light enough for me on my commute at 4am.

No, the other poster was stating that cars need to pass the center Lane to overtake regardless of cyclist positions. I'm pointing out that's not always the case.

It would be the same as your argument if the original stance was 'traffic is always heavy'

Pretty easy enough I thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Again tho, this is where negotiation takes place a lot of the time. There are no blanket rules, there will always be exceptions. To new cyclists, I always think of it as 'adding tools to your cycle craft toolbox', which is a wanky way of just knowing what skills to learn and practice.

Identifying when and how to use primary is a major step in keeping yourself (and others sharing the road around you) safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No, the other poster was stating that cars need to pass the center Lane to overtake regardless of cyclist positions. I'm pointing out that's not always the case.
    maybe not always, but it would be quite unusual.
    as per the calculations someone else already mentioned, allowing 0.5m for the gap between the cyclist and the side of the lane, 0.5m for the cyclist, 1.5m passing distance, and 2m for the car, that's 4.5m.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kenmm wrote: »
    I always think of it as 'adding tools to your cycle craft toolbox'
    one thing i always try to do, is when a motorist has been cautious and held back for a clear overtaking manouevre, is to give a little signal of acknowledgement when they do pass. it's not going to change the bad drivers, obviously, and some may argue that i'm 'thanking' people for doing something they should be doing anyway; but i like to return a little courtesy when someone else has shown me some.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

@Magic will you get of your high horse and stop this them and us attitude, so you thank the driver when he does something good, what a load of crap, primary/secondary positions, get real, if your turning right you signal and get into position early, if your going straight you keep as left as much as possible, don't complicate things it's not rocket science.

Joey321 - do not post in this thread again.
    do not respond to this in thread, any questions, PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

one thing i always try to do, is when a motorist has been cautious and held back for a clear overtaking manouevre, is to give a little signal of acknowledgement when they do pass. it's not going to change the bad drivers, obviously, and some may argue that i'm 'thanking' people for doing something they should be doing anyway; but i like to return a little courtesy when someone else has shown me some.

I do this all the time too. Not sure when I started, but I feel like it has engaged drivers more to see a human on a bike and not just a cyclist.

Big time.

When I first started Dublin commuting I was one of those that were ready for the being cut up, ready to give out. I wouldn't try and force drivers like was suggested but definitely ready to give out. Some if the stuff I see posted here, I recognise the behaviour.
    We have the situation now where Dublin traffic is stressful, some cyclist and drivers ready to give out, some do wind up almost deliberately, and then new cyclists coming to the party trying to figure all this out.

Small changes like what you say, a thanks and an acknowledgement (from the car to cyclists and from the bike to cars), being aware of when to use road positions all help. So does reading the road well ahead and getting out of situations before they unfold (interesting, I would always read ahead, quote good hazard perception skills, but I would let a situation unfold and then give out!!).

It's not 'thanking for the right thing', it's just some appreciation and letting others know you are a fellow non arsehole. It definitely improves commuting and leads to less stress.

Big time.

When I first started Dublin commuting I was one of those that were ready for the being cut up, ready to give out. I wouldn't try and force drivers like was suggested but definitely ready to give out. Some if the stuff I see posted here, I recognise the behaviour.
    We have the situation now where Dublin traffic is stressful, some cyclist and drivers ready to give out, some do wind up almost deliberately, and then new cyclists coming to the party trying to figure all this out.

Small changes like what you say, a thanks and an acknowledgement (from the car to cyclists and from the bike to cars), being aware of when to use road positions all help. So does reading the road well ahead and getting out of situations before they unfold (interesting, I would always read ahead, quote good hazard perception skills, but I would let a situation unfold and then give out!!).

It's not 'thanking for the right thing', it's just some appreciation and letting others know you are a fellow non arsehole. It definitely improves commuting and leads to less stress.

Now all that nice crap out the way.. Fu(king drivers, all (unts etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I often cycle in the middle of the road (primary). It doesn't stop me from being squeezed sometimes.

Drivers will still pass with inches to spare.
    If a car comes in the other lane the overtaking drive will swerve back in on top of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I do this the sometimes especially if someone has waited behind where others would attempt a squeeze by. Gave a girl a salute one day after she had stayed behind me through a couple of tight bends with a short straight in between, she gave me the middle finger in the mirror. She obviously wasn't happy but at least she didn't overtake in a dangerous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

my father is from inishowen and the chances of my surname *not* matching JMcL's are slim to none i suspect.
    i haven't cycled up in that part of the world in about 30 years probably.

Well, it'd either be that, or Doherty, with maybe O'Donnell doing a bit of wheelsucking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I often cycle in the middle of the road (primary). It doesn't stop me from being squeezed sometimes.

Drivers will still pass with inches to spare.
    If a car comes in the other lane the overtaking drive will swerve back in on top of me.

You can't stop a**eholes who want to be a**eholes, but at least if you've got a primary position you have space to get away to if they're coming too close. I always try to glance around to see cars about to pass in order get a bearing on how they're going to pass me (nicely or not) and then am ready to move left if they're passing too close. Granted , it's not always possible if they're going much faster but often it is.

A few hairy moments in the tour yesterday because of the slippery white line down the middle of the road.
    It really isn't smart to cycle down the middle!

In the dry I like those big thick bus lane lines, they make a rough road smooth (also get to straddle two lanes, inconveniencing even more people)

Edit, to clarify, this is not a strategy I recommend and is meant tounge in cheek. I think these days that has to be spelled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Brand_New wrote: »
    A few hairy moments in the tour yesterday because of the slippery white line down the middle of the road.

I don't think anyone is advocating cycling directly in the middle of the road, rather in the middle (Primary position) of the lane they are travelling in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How else do you make a right hand turn?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    How else do you make a right hand turn?

You just turn right, when you do this at no point are both wheels travelling down the white line. Lack of traction on the white line is really only an issue when both wheels are on it so I would urge people not to cycling on the white line, crossing it is fine once you don't try it on a very sharp bend.

You just turn right, when you do this at no point are both wheels travelling down the white line. Lack of traction on the white line is really only an issue when both wheels are on it so I would urge people not to cycling on the white line, crossing it is fine once you don't try it on a very sharp bend.

Lack of traction when actively moving. Brake badly (ie only rear) at the wrong time and you will soon know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Well I have it a go , was on busy rural roads , stayed out more than a metre from the edge and it made such a difference it forced the cars behind me to slow down , took a while to get the confidence to hold my line but seemed to work for the most part.

puddles22 wrote: »
    Well I have it a go , was on busy rural roads , stayed out more than a metre from the edge and it made such a difference it forced the cars behind me to slow down , took a while to get the confidence to hold my line but seemed to work for the most part.

Glad to hear it worked out - keep trying it now and again, but remember to not get complacent - keep checking over that shoulder etc and if you do get beeped or whatever, don't let it put you off - ass-hats gonna asshat..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

puddles22 wrote: »
    You will get the occasional prick who will beep and drive agressively behind you. Ignore them.
    However, there's no harm in giving a thumbs up or wave when someone does wait patiently before making a safe overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You will get the occasional prick who will beep and drive agressively behind you. Ignore them.

Or just slow down, then stop right in front of them - stand or drop your bike right in front of the vehicle, start checking your rack or mudguards to see if you can find whatever problem he was trying to signal about to you - then go round to the window and ask him what he meant by the beeping.

Or just slow down, then stop right in front of them - stand or drop your bike right in front of the vehicle, start checking your rack or mudguards to see if you can find whatever problem he was trying to signal about to you - then go round to the window and ask him what he meant by the beeping.

My instinct is to say you shouldn't do that as it only further antagonises them and means they will just go asshole with some other cyclist or road rage at someone else..

But I lost the plot the other day (doing north of 40kmph on a 60 dual carriageway) - got beeped and slowed right down. Really p!ssed off... turned out it was just a friend of a friend whos car I didn't recognise (but they did me!) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

My instinct is to say you shouldn't do that as it only further antagonises them and means they will just go asshole with some other cyclist or road rage at someone else..

But I lost the plot the other day (doing north of 40kmph on a 60 dual carriageway) - got beeped and slowed right down. Really p!ssed off... turned out it was just a friend of a friend whos car I didn't recognise (but they did me!) :pac:

Yeah, that's why I try to give a big smile and friendly wave, even if I think its an asshat being asshatty. If I'm mistaken, then no harm. If not, it'll more than likely kill them with frustration.

Advertisement