Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

middle of the lane?

Options
  • 03-09-2020 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Have had close encounters with cars pretty much every ride i've been out on the past few weeks, with some very close overtakes, a guy i met once suggested not to hog the edge of the road rather go to the middle as it makes sure the car cant overtake you if another car is coming .
    What you all think of that? do you do it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Its called a defensive position, you're holding your space on the road, and it takes a bit of confidence to master it. But the result is that an overtake has to be a proper overtake, not a 'buzz' to squeeze past you. It does have the desired result. Some motorists mis-interpret what you are doing and will make their feelings known however

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

As a cyclist I would not be in favour of hogging the middle of the road, totally understand why someone would do it but would not recommend it,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's something I do regularly to prevent the 'squeeze'. Most motorists are fine as they have no intention of overtaking but there's always one every once in a while - doesn't have any effect on me - I move left when I'm happy enough that there's enough room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I typically take the position of middle of my lane, its allows lots of space and when cars come behind me and its safe to do so, i'll pull to the left and leave them pass if i feel its safe for me to do so...

But when i'm cycling through city, I always hold my position in the middle of the lane due to car doors, pedestrians etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

puddles22 wrote: »
    Have had close encounters with cars pretty much every ride i've been out on the past few weeks, with some very close overtakes, a guy i met once suggested not to hog the edge of the road rather go to the middle as it makes sure the car cant overtake you if another car is coming .

It depends. I dont let cars pinch me in. If a single car squeezes past me, I go into 'cycle defensively' mode and move a good bit out so they have to cross the middle of the road to get past me. I feel safer that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Never seen that video before, but it nails it really.

"Observation, Anticipation, Negotiation" - must remember that - too many cyclists and motorist fail badly on at least one of these.

Take the lane when possible/required, don't hog it when you don't need it. Also the act of moving in and out immediately makes you more visible and obvious, but as someone pointed out, takes a bit of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not to be sidetracking things, because I’ve noticed More regular incidents myself but Is it because cyclists had the time to get used to quieter roads over the lockDown and now they are getting busier?

On the original question I tend to do it on some roads and not others, but never as far out as the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Also, if I'm on a narrow country lane and a vehicle is approaching at speed in the opposite direction, I'll move out to the middle as it usually slows them down - at which point I move left again - especially if it doesn't slow them down!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have had close encounters with cars pretty much every ride i've been out on the past few weeks, with some very close overtakes....
    Co Donegal drivers? By a long margin, the most aggressive and anti-cyclist drivers in the country. Any time I cycle there I have similar experiences. Much less frequent in the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I live and cycle in County Kildare with 40km cycle commutes to work in Meath. I always keep well into the left, even cycle on the hard shoulder if there's one available. There's no point trying to take a car on to prove a point as the car will always win. I understand the thinking about moving out and keeping yourself visible to cars but there'll always be aggressive a$$holes who'll try to intimidate you by driving too close. Just keep in and keep safe and enjoy your cycle.

D13exile wrote: »
    I live and cycle in County Kildare with 40km cycle commutes to work in Meath. I always keep well into the left, even cycle on the hard shoulder if there's one available. There's no point trying to take a car on to prove a point as the car will always win. I understand the thinking about moving out and keeping yourself visible to cars but there'll always be aggressive a$$holes who'll try to intimidate you by driving too close. Just keep in and keep safe and enjoy your cycle.

Its not about making a point*. Applying good "Observation, Anticipation, Negotiation" skills as outlined in the video will keep you out of trouble. By all means if you see a danger or opportunity to move over and let others pass go for it (Negotiation).

Also - the gutter/ hard shoulder has lots of crap and debris (especially in wetter months) - I wouldn't fancy the constant risk of punctures.

*Edit - It *shouldn't* be about making a point - but some cyclists inevitably do go about forcing every issue. I am excluding this subset of cyclists as they too are as big an issue as aggressive drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kenmm wrote: »
    Take the lane when possible/required, don't hog it when you don't need it.
    That's a bit confusing.

The middle of the road is called the "primary" position. The edge of the road is called the "secondary" position.

You should always occupy the primary position unless there is a reason not to.

If there are no vehicles behind you, you should in general be in the primary position.

One of the most obvious exceptions to this is a wide N-road with a large shoulder where traffic may be coming from behind you at 80+ km/h. Even in this case though if you are travelling in excess of ~40km/h (think of the embankment descent on the N81), you should occupy the primary position for your own safety.

seamus wrote: »
    That's a bit confusing.

The middle of the road is called the "primary" position. The edge of the road is called the "secondary" position.

You should always occupy the primary position unless there is a reason not to.

If there are no vehicles behind you, you should in general be in the primary position.

One of the most obvious exceptions to this is a wide N-road with a large shoulder where traffic may be coming from behind you at 80+ km/h. Even in this case though if you are travelling in excess of ~40km/h (think of the embankment descent on the N81), you should occupy the primary position for your own safety.

ye - fair enough, I am just saying there are times I will move to secondary (badly phrased) - approaching a blind bend (like shown in the clip) or if there is a build up of traffic (equivalent of single up when in a group) and I am happy with the road conditions and to let some pass (negotiation).

My habit now, which I don’t think about any more, is to never cycle closer than a metre from the kerb or roadside or other obstruction. Whether in the city or the country. It’s enough of a space to dive into if necessary but at the same time you don’t annoy motorists too much by appearing to hog the lane

Actually - to clarify further - when I said "Take the lane" - I mean right in the middle - my default position is probably 1/3 of the way in (sticking out enough to be seen and to avoid the dirt) -0 I move to full primary if I am approaching obstacles/ hazzards/ preparing for a right turn etc. That's what I mean about hogging. I will move in close to the kerb like in the example I gae above (build up of traffic/ let them pass) - this one is rare, as if they cannot get by when at 1/3 of the way, then the road probably isnt safe (but some roads are quite narrow, so I will allow for that).

Basically - watch that video - like I say - I think it absolutely gets it right.

D13exile wrote: »
    ... but there'll always be aggressive a$$holes who'll try to intimidate you by driving too close....
    I think you've missed the point. 95% of drivers who engage in close passing do not set out to intimidate cyclists. They are just normal non-cycling people who don't realise that what they are doing is intimidating. By cycling out a little, they'll slow down and wait for an appropriate opportunity to pass.

My habit now, which I don’t think about any more, is to never cycle closer than a metre from the kerb or roadside or other obstruction. Whether in the city or the country. It’s enough of a space to dive into if necessary but at the same time you don’t annoy motorists too much by appearing to hog the lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

Co Donegal drivers? By a long margin, the most aggressive and anti-cyclist drivers in the country. Any time I cycle there I have similar experiences. Much less frequent in the rest of the country.

I grew up in Donegal (actually in Inishowen which takes the biscuit even by Donegal standards) and would agree. I don't make it up all that often these days, but was up with the bike last month for the first time in a few years, and I've never come across a bigger shower of asshats on the road. Much worse than a few years ago. Narrow mountain roads are being used as rat runs and I had multiple overtakes - frequently by vans or 4x4s - with no quarter given whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JMcL wrote: »
    I grew up in Donegal (actually in Inishowen
    we could be related...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

kenmm wrote: »
    Actually - to clarify further - when I said "Take the lane" - I mean right in the middle - my default position is probably 1/3 of the way in (sticking out enough to be seen and to avoid the dirt) -0 I move to full primary if I am approaching obstacles/ hazzards/ preparing for a right turn etc. That's what I mean about hogging. I will move in close to the kerb like in the example I gae above (build up of traffic/ let them pass) - this one is rare, as if they cannot get by when at 1/3 of the way, then the road probably isnt safe (but some roads are quite narrow, so I will allow for that).

The other time I always try to take the lane is on the approach to roundabouts. Anything less than primary will almost always result in the MustGetInFront brigade pulling in on top of you at the last second. You still get the occasional bellend even when taking primary, but at least then there's bail-out space on the left

The other time I always try to take the lane is on the approach to roundabouts. Anything less than primary will almost always result in the MustGetInFront brigade pulling in on top of you at the last second. You still get the occasional bellend even when taking primary, but at least then there's bail-out space on the left

Roundabouts, parked cars, busy side streets, uneven surfaces, sweeping bends ahead, busy ped crossings (Peds stepping out often a danger), road narrowing and anywhere else!

And yes, mostly because of that.. must get ahead mantra some people have, even although it's often quicker to hold back then get ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Personally where I cycle depends on what type of road

In an urban area I'll take the middle of the lane. No way am I going near car doors. No way am I getting driven over by these fools who think they can squeeze past me with oncoming traffic.

More rural and wide. I tend to take the left wheel track of vehicular traffic. Cleanest of debris. Out enough from the verge to give comfort.

Rural, narrow (white line but just about) busy. Take the lane.

Rural, narrow and quite. Probably the wheel track again to avoid chips. These are the roads I aim for. Cycle where you like. Will often pull over a we bit if a car "stuck" back there and give them a wee wave through. Esp if a downhill coming. Don't want a dope in a Jeep up my hole on a descent

I grew up in Donegal (actually in Inishowen which takes the biscuit even by Donegal standards) and would agree...
    Yes, I should have clarified that I was referring to east Donegal - west Donegal drivers seem much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yes, I should have clarified that I was referring to east Donegal - west Donegal drivers seem much better.

Much better in this instance meaning less murderous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I vary my road position depending on what the conditions are. Half my commute is single lane country road, so I'll be about a meter from the kerb then. The R132 has a shoulder for a lot of my route so I use that, but when I come to the roundabouts around Swords I take the middle of the lane. I always take the middle of the lane from Blakes Cross until the second roundabout as that road surface isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PhillySteak9

we could be related...
    That makes three of us. I was up in Inishowen last month as well, and yes, lots of passing too fast and too close, even with a full open lane on the opposite side. Don't know why people do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my father is from inishowen and the chances of my surname *not* matching JMcL's are slim to none i suspect.
    i haven't cycled up in that part of the world in about 30 years probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

Joey321 wrote: »
    As a cyclist I would not be in favour of hogging the middle of the road, totally understand why someone would do it but would not recommend it,

I believe it would be illegal to cycling in the middle of the road.

Advertisement