Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

middle of the lane?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Brand_New wrote: »
    I believe it would be illegal to cycling in the middle of the road.
    If you are saying that it is illegal to cycle in the iddle of the road (I presume you mean middle of the lane) then you're incorrect.
    However it is possiblt to cycle in the middle of the road if you are overtaking something or on a country lane or I'm sure there are several other scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

If you are saying that it is illegal to cycle in the iddle of the road (I presume you mean middle of the lane) then you're incorrect.

No I'm talking about the road not the lane. Of course it's legal to drive or cycle within a lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

By cycling in the middle of the lane deliberately with a queue of cars behind you is not a sensible thing to do, find it very disturbing as a cyclist myself how much anger there is on here towards people driving cars, with that attitude there is always going to be hostility between both road users no matter what's put in place, from what I can see from been out there is both sides are guilty of offences eventhough both are trying to blame each other.

Yup don't need to be in the middle but you should have space on your left. I give myself a foot minimum. Maybe more if the roads in bad condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Joey321 wrote: »
    By cycling in the middle of the lane deliberately with a queue of cars behind you is not a sensible thing to do, find it very disturbing as a cyclist myself how much anger there is on here towards people driving cars, with that attitude there is always going to be hostility between both road users no matter what's put in place, from what I can see from been out there is both sides are guilty of offences eventhough both are trying to blame each other.

Ok I'll bite.

What difference does it make?
    The car still needs to overtake.
    If you're over in the wheel track or out in the middle, they still need a clear oncoming lane to overtake.

Unless as a cyclist you're advocating hugging the kerb and letting vehicles squeeze past you with oncoming traffic.

When I'm cycling I consider that suicidal.

When I'm driving I refuse to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

find it very disturbing as a cyclist myself how much anger there is on here towards people driving cars, with that attitude there is always going to be hostility between both road users no matter what's put in place, from what I can see from been out there is both sides are guilty of offences even-though both are trying to blame each other.

Yeah I know my primary worry on the roads are the cyclists getting angry at motorists. And not the motorists endangering cyclists lives.

Most people here are not talking about taking primary position to annoy anyone but to put themselves in the safest position.

But I do like the idea that we are all guilty of offences. As a cyclist the worst thing I can realistically do to a motorist is hold them up/piss them off. They can kill or injure me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

That's why it's phrased as negotiation. Looking, eye contact, moving out, in when safe to allow cars through etc. Some people inevitably will still be ass holes tho.. not much you can do about their attitude.

If there is no oncoming traffic the car can move to the other side of the road and safely overtake. You are not blocking by cycling in the lane.
    There are very few lanes in Ireland wide enough to safely accommodate both a car and bike side by side.

@Wildey Boaring if you don't know what wrong with deliberately cycling in the middle of a lane just to annoy moterist then the is a bigger problem out there than we all realise, Anyway off out for a cycle now, I hope I don't annoy too many cyclist, Happy cycling...

@Wildey Boaring if you don't know what wrong with deliberately cycling in the middle of a lane just to annoy moterist

But it's not to annoy motorists, there just simply is not room for a car to safely overtake without crossing into another lane.
    If you are in the middle of the lane you are not blocking the car from a safe overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

@Wildey Boaring if you don't know what wrong with deliberately cycling in the middle of a lane just to annoy moterist then the is a bigger problem out there than we all realise, Anyway off out for a cycle now, I hope I don't annoy too many cyclist, Happy cycling...

"Deliberately cycling in the middle of a lane just to annoy motorist. "

Your opinion.
    Based on? Being a cyclist? Being a behavioural physiologist? A medium?

I've often cycled in the middle of the lane but never to annoy motorists.

Do you assume all in the middle of the lane do it to annoy or some or those on a Thursday?

I think there would be a big problem and very annoying if a cyclist was to move to prevent cars changing lane to overtake, I've yet to see that happen though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

deliberately cycling in the middle of a lane just to annoy moterist
    this doesn't happen, or happens so rarely that it's barely worth talking about.

and it has no bearing whatsoever on the discussion here.

this doesn't happen, or happens so rarely that it's barely worth talking about.

and it has no bearing whatsoever on the discussion here.

There absolutely are cyclists that seem to go out there way to make a point, but as you say, it's got little to do with this thread and shouldn't detract from the sensible advice given.

It really cannot be made any clearer than it was in that video. It's the third time I've mentioned it lol, but it's film of the year for me!!

@. Magic, it was it was brought up here so it does have bearing on the discussion, read back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who first raised it as an attempt to deliberately annoy motorists?

Read back your the mod

I think one of the problems with this discussion is that "Riding in the middle of the road" means different things to different people.

It can mean the literal meaning of riding down the central median of the road.
    It can also mean riding in the middle of a lane.
    And finally it can also mean riding anywhere that's as tight to left side of the lane as possible or anywhere in between up to the point that is the middle of the lane.

Only the first option should be discouraged, the rest will depend on road conditions and it's often impossible to see the true nature of road condition from the seat of a car.
    Let the cyclist pick the best line to safety and legally navigate the road just as a car would do.

D13exile wrote: »
    I live and cycle in County Kildare with 40km cycle commutes to work in Meath. I always keep well into the left, even cycle on the hard shoulder if there's one available. There's no point trying to take a car on to prove a point as the car will always win. I understand the thinking about moving out and keeping yourself visible to cars but there'll always be aggressive a$$holes who'll try to intimidate you by driving too close. Just keep in and keep safe and enjoy your cycle.

I already quoted it, here it is... peace out!

Read back your the mod
    you are the first person to claim it was being done deliberately.
    you seem to have misquoted Wildly Boaring, who did not make any claims about doing it to deliberately annoy motorists.

• Advertisement

you are the first person to claim it was being done deliberately.
    you seem to have misquoted Wildly Boaring, who did not make any claims about doing it to deliberately annoy motorists.

There's some confusion there alright, but look at the post I just quoted. There was a statement that implies people only take the lane to 'proove a point' That was on the first page.

As someone already stated, comments are open for interpretation, everyone has an option if it is left open like in most cases, that's my interpretation, seeing cyclists do this every day of the week when there is no reason to be in the middle of the lane, with other cyclist passing these guys out on there inside, what do you think is the reason why they do that? Unfortunately we have la lot of cyclists hell bent on disrupting car drivers for what every reason they have, who knows, this gets all cyclist tared with the same brush the same go's for car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I can't believe how this thread got all bent out of shape.

It's quite simple - take the middle of the lane to prevent the vehicle behind from trying to squeeze past - it's no different than a vehicle waiting for an appropriate opportunity to overtake a slower moving vehicle like a tractor or horse and cart. If you keep left on a bike some motorists will squeeze by simply because they can. Someone mentioned the N81 earlier and it's a perfect example - especially at the bends at Kiltalown.

I'll be in the middle of the lane in the location below as I don't want any potential overtaking vehicle squeezing between me and the oncoming traffic as it'd be far too close for comfort. I'll be doing in excess of 40kmh so I'm hardly holding anyone up. I've travelled this section of road hundreds of times taking the lane and never once had any negative experience with a motorist.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2758345,-6.3999773,3a,75y,53.27h,79.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sL3LQ0dXbyO1S6n5HsWpTeA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Obviously, if there's plenty of room for the vehicle to overtake then stay left. I don't think anybody is advocating holding up traffic just for the sake of it - cos that's being a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... with other cyclist passing these guys out on there inside, what do you think is the reason why they do that?...
    It called reverse rollovers in a group ride - i.e. rotating clockwise instead of counter-clockwise.

Well said wishbone, way to go,

Reverse rollover and long echelons are the way to go with the right wind conditions.
    Just be sure to never go more than two abreast.

it's legally allowed to go three abreast if the outside cyclist is overtaking. not legal to maintain three abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Luxman wrote: »
    Its called a defensive position,

It’s called the primary position

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

crosstownk wrote: »
    I

I'll be in the middle of the lane in the location below as I don't want any potential overtaking vehicle squeezing between me and the oncoming traffic as it'd be far to close for comfort. I'll be doing in excess of 40kmh so I'm hardly holding anyone up. I've travelled this section of road hundreds of times taking the lane and never once had any negative experience with a motorist.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2758345,-6.3999773,3a,75y,53.27h,79.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sL3LQ0dXbyO1S6n5HsWpTeA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Obviously, if there's plenty of room for the vehicle to overtake then stay left. I don't think anybody is advocating holding up traffic just for the sake of it - cos that's being a dick.

The fact that you can do 40kph explains why you don’t get too much grief from motorists. Being able to keep pace with cars makes it much easier and motorists are a lot more tolerant of cyclists.

• Advertisement

? Unfortunately we have la lot of cyclists hell bent on disrupting car drivers for what every reason they have, who knows, this gets all cyclist tared with the same brush the same go's for car drivers.

Doubt it. And if this your take on it, it might suggest that the attitude problem is entirely if your own making.

One or two cyclists act the maggot and try to make every road event a point, but it's far from the majority, not even 'many'. If this is your opinion, it's you that's doing the tarring.

This thread isn't even about that, it's about when to appropriately take primary position. When you see a cyclist do it, don't assume they are being a dick, or it's some plot to get you. Assume they see something you don't. Crappy road surface? Potholes? Parked cars, narrowing of the road, overtaking another cyclists etc

Advertisement