Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cell1e

Plan maybe close week before Halloween and week after, see if that can break the rise in numbers.

Yes they were talking about that at school today. I would love to see the numbers go back down and maybe this would be a help.

I wouldn't mind a chance to test out the 'at home' part of our remote learning platform with my class for a week or so before the break. We've been using it everyday in class so the students can feel confident using it. They are doing so well, I'm really proud of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Cell1e wrote: »
    Yes they were talking about that at school today. I would love to see the numbers go back down and maybe this would be a help.

I wouldn't mind a chance to test out the 'at home' part of our remote learning platform with my class for a week or so before the break. We've been using it everyday in class so the students can feel confident using it. They are doing so well, I'm really proud of them.

Could you expand on this please

Hi bob

So some of the teachers in my school were saying they thought (or maybe hoped) the govt would make a slightly longer Halloween Break. But I'm not sure if that's a thing, I haven't heard of it in anywhere apart from speculation here and at work. If numbers keep rising it might be a useful strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I don't get the government approach to schools,.to me it seems more like a lottery at this stage, or a game of Russian roulette.

No real measures in place, while I understand the desire to keep schools open, surely it should be fine in a more limited way. For example at this stage, should they not perhaps send transition year students home for a couple of weeks, that would reduce the overall school population and the risk, by about 15% ?

My son, in transitting year has had a head cold for a week and a half, and couldn't go back to school,understandably, but no remote classes available.

We had a meeting with schools career guidance in school subject choices for him, and only.ine of us was allowed attend, and no option of.remote.conferencing.

My nieces transition year were all taken to the cinema this week.

It just seems mad, no attempt to reduce attendence in a managed way.

My son is now complaining about going in every day, claiming that they are doing very little to nothing anyway, so why are we risking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hi bob

So some of the teachers in my school were saying they thought (or maybe hoped) the govt would make a slightly longer Halloween Break. But I'm not sure if that's a thing, I haven't heard of it in anywhere apart from speculation here and at work. If numbers keep rising it might be a useful strategy.

One of the many rumours floating about.

Rule of acquisition 190: Hear all, trust nothing.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭snor

It’s very hard to Justify telling my Teenager that she cannot watch a movie on a Saturday night with 3 of her friends in a large room with masks on. But she can spend 7 hours a day with same friends and 26 others in a similar sized room. Thus is where compliance is an issue for young people - conflicting messages along with increased frustration and anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

snor wrote: »
    It’s very hard to Justify telling my Teenager that she cannot watch a movie on a Saturday night with 3 of her friends in a large room with masks on. But she can spend 7 hours a day with same friends and 26 others in a similar sized room. Thus is where compliance is an issue for young people - conflicting messages along with increased frustration and anxiety.

If she's in class with the same friends then I don't see the problem. Although those friends are now mixing with other people in your house.

Treppen wrote: »
    If she's in class with the same friends then I don't see the problem. Although those friends are now mixing with other people in your house.

But it’s against the current guidelines - So real mixed messages for the young people. So in effect you’re saying that it’s ok for 29 kids(in class) to come to your house whereas the guidelines are one person. I’m the bad cop adhering to the guidelines.

I don't get the government approach to schools,.to me it seems more like a lottery at this stage, or a game of Russian roulette.

No real measures in place, while I understand the desire to keep schools open, surely it should be fine in a more limited way. For example at this stage, should they not perhaps send transition year students home for a couple of weeks, that would reduce the overall school population and the risk, by about 15% ?

My son, in transitting year has had a head cold for a week and a half, and couldn't go back to school,understandably, but no remote classes available.

We had a meeting with schools career guidance in school subject choices for him, and only.ine of us was allowed attend, and no option of.remote.conferencing.

My son is now complaining about going in every day, claiming that they are doing very little to nothing anyway, so why are we risking it?

To be fair to transition year heads they have been handed an impossible job this year. TY is about going out and doing stuff not staying in rooms. It's about visitors coming in which can't happen now. However work should still be done in classrooms.
    I never believed TY should be mandatory. If it is - schools just using it as an excuse to keep kids in schools a year longer

snor wrote: »

It's the movement in and out of houses. Plus let's face facts covid is rising in schools. Kids don't wash their hands etc. Bottom line it's about evaluating what's worth taking a risk ? Movies or education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Treppen wrote: »

In reality though there is always movement in second-level. The idea that the same people sit stationary in the same place all day beside the same people doesn't happen. I even notice students changing places just for the novelty and even if you come over all official and point out the seating plan the potential damage has already been done. And that's before you even get to movement and mixing around toilets, option classes etc.

I have to field questions every day from students with regard to why they can't mix in other settings but are expected to do so in school. I never ever try to claim that the school setting is safe or that the idea of 'pods' is anything other than illusory. I just point out that the risk is taken on the basis of necessity.

And we had a case the other day of Covid in our school and students who spent several classes during the day sitting beside the positive student were not contacted by contact tracers. So it's a very different environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rosita wrote: »

And we had a case the other day of Covid in our school and students who spent several classes during the day sitting beside the positive student were not contacted by contact tracers. So it's a very different environment.

I'd love to see written down, the rationale behind how they arrive at these decisions.

What criteria they use, what information they looked for and how it was used?

I'd love to see written down, the rationale behind how they arrive at these decisions.

What criteria they use, what information they looked for and how it was used?

Therein lies the problem! I’ve heard of situations where class teacher not informed of case in her class!

In reality though there is always movement in second-level. The idea that the same people sit stationary in the same place all day beside the same people doesn't happen. I even notice students changing places just for the novelty and even if you come over all official and point out the seating plan the potential damage has already been done. And that's before you even get to movement and mixing around toilets, option classes etc.

I have to field questions every day from students with regard to why they can't mix in other settings but are expected to do so in school. I never ever try to claim that the school setting is safe or that the idea of 'pods' is anything other than illusory. I just point out that the risk is taken on the basis of necessity.

The case last week of the student changing seats and getting Covid from the desk frightened my lot into staying put!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Interestingly, cases in Dublin are creeping downwards the last few days.I am struggling to find a list of case numbers in Dublin alone since L3 started (would anyone have a link?) but from glancing at the news the last 3/4 days, there is a definite decrease....so far. Who knows, Level 3 might be enough for now.

shesty wrote: »
    Interestingly, cases in Dublin are creeping downwards the last few days.I am struggling to find a list of case numbers in Dublin alone since L3 started (would anyone have a link?) but from glancing at the news the last 3/4 days, there is a definite decrease....so far. Who knows, Level 3 might be enough for now.

I'd say the figures for Dublin are far too erratic to draw firm conclusions that there is any significant change coming in Dublin. Best that can be said is that it has stopped increasing but presumably unless testing capacity is increased dramatically there is a natural limit on the numbers than can appear on any given day.

6 October – 130
    5 October – 111
    4 October – 100
    3 October - 224
    2 October – 198
    1 October – 189
    29 September – 154
    28 September – 210
    27 September – 104
    26 September - 152
    25 September – 162
    24 September – 98
    23 September – 154
    22 September – 77
    21 September – 241
    20 September – 166
    19 September - 115
    18 September - 116

(gov.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mm they are quite erratic. Thanks for that. I suppose i was thinking that it is over 2 weeks now at Level 3 and they should be showing a decrease now, if the L3 restrictions were effective.I think there does tend to be a slight increase in numbers reported on Tuesdays (which would have been the 6th), but yes, still not particularly clear.

Watching NPHET's press conference it seems they think it's only a matter of time before extra measures will have to be introduced such is the rapidity of the deterioration in all measures they consider.

Watching NPHET's press conference it seems they think it's only a matter of time before extra measures will have to be introduced such is the rapidity of the deterioration in all measures they consider.

They are being very clear on that.

Yes, numbers are rising and falling steadily, but mostly rising overall. It's such a worry. I'm hoping our unions can establish some improvements on the current plans.

• Advertisement

I see No justification for secondary schools remaining open if we go to level 5.
    Teachers and students should not be sacrificed. End of story. Yes we will lose disadvantaged students etc but why should people die to serve their needs ??

Yes, numbers are rising and falling steadily, but mostly rising overall. It's such a worry. I'm hoping our unions can establish some improvements on the current plans.

We'll be waiting. Been saying from the start that it can only become an issue if the parents make it one.

People who work in education are routinely dismissed when we raise issues. Public perception/opinion is not our friend.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I see No justification for secondary schools remaining open if we go to level 5.
    Teachers and students should not be sacrificed. End of story. Yes we will lose disadvantaged students etc but why should people die to serve their needs ??

I agree with some and disagree with some of what you said. Blended teaching should be considered as a part of a level 4 point whatever they decide to call it.

Disadvantaged and vulnerable students needs the be catered for as well. The lack of foresight from the department is coming back to bite them on the ar$e. Makes me so so mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

SO according to Dr Glynn up to 28th September 183 schools had undergone mass testing. How can it be considered mass testing when not everyone in class tested and students who sat beside covid+ve student were not considered close contact along with the teacher.

khalessi wrote: »
    SO according to Dr Glynn up to 28th September 183 schools had undergone mass testing. How can it be considered mass testing when not everyone in class tested and students who sat beside covid+ve student were not considered close contact along with the teacher.

I'd love to know what NPHET considers mass testing in the context of a school. I'm guessing more than two from a school. Mass my backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd love to know what NPHET considers mass testing in the context of a school. I'm guessing more than two from a school. Mass my backside.

I'd say they are talking about a class.
    I know of a primary school where an entire class was tested after a positive case was confirmed in the school. Thankfully all tested negative twice but are still on their 14 days at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

kippy wrote: »
    I know of a primary school where an entire class was tested after a positive case was confirmed in the school. Thankfully all tested negative twice but are still on their 14 days at home.

This is not the norm. You would be lucky to get 3 others tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is not the norm. You would be lucky to get 3 others tested.

I assumed it was based on the numbers being tested on a weekly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I know of a Secondary School that had 190 out of their 600 students absent yesterday. This is in no way sustainable. Schools need to go online, especially secondary.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »

Not based on what I've heard from friends in other schools. Teacher not considered a close contact, not even all the children in a pod considered close contacts.

I know of one case where the child was coughing all over the place in school and was sent home, took 2 days for a test but because the child hadn't been in school in the previous 48hrs not one person in that room was considered a close contact.

Also am aware of a friend of a friend who had a case in their class, not considered a close contact by the HSE. They got referred for a test by a doctor friend and turned out to be positive.

System is an utter mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement