Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I really don't want to believe that there's an attempt from above to conceal the problem with schools but....... I genuinely think they actually are hiding the issues from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,463 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blondini wrote: »
    I really don't want to believe that there's an attempt from above to conceal the problem with schools but....... I genuinely think they actually are hiding the issues from the public.

Surely the teaching unions have visibility on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

I think its as clear as day thats whats happening tbh

And I think it was happening for a hell of a long time before Covid too....

In a way they have no choice, we are all slaves to economic "growth" and anything that opposes this will be sacrificed

The interesting thing about this is the economy could be ****ed either way.....its a fine tightrope they are trying to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The dog on the street knows the schools are creating clusters and superspreaders.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cell1e

I have been worrying about his too, we all know how quickly colds and flu's spread through our classes and I could never buy into the research saying that schools would be safe places for students and teachers. Especially when I saw what the governments idea of keeping us safe consisted of. I do wonder has information been suppressed? I even have no idea if any in my school have got or have had Covid, I have heard of students being tested in my class and next door but nothing else.

But I do think the media have been discouraged from reporting about this. I think we all deserve to know these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Luke O Neill did a webinar on Covid and the classroom this evening via TCD, it was recorded and should be put up on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cell1e

Id like to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Friend works as a SNA with a very tough LCA group. Behaviour is atrocious he says, masks not worn properly, wrestling with each other, passing mobile phones, one even shared a bottle of water.
    Its criminal that he's being made to work in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Level 3 countrywide will take us to mid-term. They can't really up a level very soon as it'd make Varadker look very bad after his hissy fit. But if things remain at similar levels they might go then since the schools are closed for one week anyway. And it might stop Halloween being a madfest.

It is emerging in the news tonight that the government knew about Tony Holohan's views ahead of the NPHET meeting on Sunday. Obviously they did because presumably it was a government source that leaked the story to put the frighteners on publicly before NPHET got too much opportunity to put a rational case before government. Also there's little political capital out of opposing NPHET and the public not knowing. Now everyone knows who "runs the country". But it'll be interesting to see if this story gets any traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Balagan1

12 school-related Covid-19 clusters recorded last week
    Updated / Wednesday, 7 Oct 2020 20:07
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/1007/1170104-schools-covid-19/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Balagan1

Rosita wrote: »
    The Level 3 countrywide will take us to mid-term. They can't really up a level very soon as it'd make Varadker look very bad after his hissy fit. But if things remain at similar levels they might go then since the schools are closed for one week anyway. And it might stop Halloween being a madfest.

It is emerging in the news tonight that the government knew about Tony Holohan's views ahead of the NPHET meeting on Sunday. Obviously they did because presumably it was a government source that leaked the story to put the frighteners on publicly before NPHET got too much opportunity to put a rational case before government. Also there's little political capital out of opposing NPHET and the public not knowing. Now everyone knows who "runs the country". But it'll be interesting to see if this story gets any traction.

Holohan holding nothing back. It will be a long time before they mess with him again.
    Holohan told Donnelly of Covid concerns prior to NPHET meeting
    Updated / Wednesday, 7 Oct 2020 21:43
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1007/1170114-donnelly-holohan-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anyone else watching RTE1?

The truth is a great card to have up your sleeve!

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Holohan holding nothing back. It will be a long time before they mess with him again.
    Holohan told Donnelly of Covid concerns prior to NPHET meeting
    Updated / Wednesday, 7 Oct 2020 21:43
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1007/1170114-donnelly-holohan-coronavirus/

Donnelly needs to present a timeline of what he did with the information from that first phone call.

No. Primetime?

No. Primetime?

The show about the first week back in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Donnelly needs to present a timeline of what he did with the information from that first phone call.

Yes and it should be easy to find out who leaked the letter to the media. That was a terrible thing to do and caused a lot of stress and anxiety to many people. And in this day and age who the hell sends letters?

Hubertj wrote: »
    And in this day and age who the hell sends letters?

People who want stuff indelibly and undeniably on the record.

Yes and it should be easy to find out who leaked the letter to the media. That was a terrible thing to do and caused a lot of stress and anxiety to many people. And in this day and age who the hell sends letters?

Solicitors and many people trying to cover any and every angle of communication including state bodies.

Yes and it should be easy to find out who leaked the letter to the media.

Funnily enough that'll be the impossible rather than easy. On a matter such as this journalists will make a virtue of maintaining the secrecy they'd deplore from others, so the source of the leak won't be revealed. Presumably it was leaked by a media savvy civil servant whose anonymity will be guaranteed. Unlikely a Minister would be dumb enough to get dirty hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Funnily enough that'll be the impossible rather than easy. On a matter such as this journalists will make a virtue of maintaining the secrecy they'd deplore from others, so the source of the leak won't be revealed. Presumably it was leaked by a media savvy civil servant whose anonymity will be guaranteed. Unlikely a Minister would be dumb enough to get dirty hands.

Even on a Sunday? How many people would get visibility...

Didn't the CMO say that he sends the letter to the minister for health. Don't think he mentioned anyone else.

Even if the circle was a little bigger you could sure that the recipient list is small.

Whoever leaked it has to be absolutely sh!tting themselves.

Even on a Sunday? How many people would get visibility...

Mobile phones don't take Sundays off. Tipping people off within seconds would be easy if the will was there.

Whoever leaked it has to be absolutely sh!tting themselves.

Far from it I'd say. They'll know that journalists have gone to jail rather than reveal their sources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Jesus there's an awful lot of thick stupid morons up and down the country.

That teacher doing deep breathing and exercise in the class, all the high risk people who have wide groups of close contacts, especially the specky asthmatic one who didn't take her daughter's uniform off to wash it when she got home from school and then said a rake load of her family that she'd been around had to get tests, the sixth year who wanted "rights", the schools passing around the cleaning equipment from student to student with everyone touching it, the SNA who accepted the phone from the student showing her the baby photos...

No wonder cases are skyrocketing. School buildings supposed to be places of knowledge but seem to literally be babysitting for neglected and special needs children, staffed by the well-intentioned but hapless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Friend works as a SNA with a very tough LCA group. Behaviour is atrocious he says, masks not worn properly, wrestling with each other, passing mobile phones, one even shared a bottle of water.
    Its criminal that he's being made to work in that environment.

Ah dont feel too bad, I'd two fifth years sharing a chicken roll today. Literally taking a bite and handing it to the next guy.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The annoying part is that WHEN there's a case in the schools we have media pieces like last week explaining how a teacher let a student move from seat A to seat B, no chicken fillet rolls mentioned.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Jesus there's an awful lot of thick stupid morons up and down the country.

That teacher doing deep breathing and exercise in the class, all the high risk people who have wide groups of close contacts, especially the specky asthmatic one who didn't take her daughter's uniform off to wash it when she got home from school and then said a rake load of her family that she'd been around had to get tests, the sixth year who wanted "rights", the schools passing around the cleaning equipment from student to student with everyone touching it, the SNA who accepted the phone from the student showing her the baby photos...

No wonder cases are skyrocketing. School buildings supposed to be places of knowledge but seem to literally be babysitting for neglected and special needs children, staffed by the well-intentioned but hapless.

Sat down to watch this with the wife.
    I told her after a few minutes of watching it that boards would have a few complaining about various aspects of what is going on and it would likely be the same on FB/Twitter and the likes.
    Your's is the first commentery I've seen on it.

It hard to appreciate how many moving parts are at play in environments like this.
    The reality is if this were in ANY other environment outside of maybe a hospital, the "workplace" would have been been shut down since March and not reopened until immunity of some description were in place.
    It's totally not possible to socially distance all of the time in those environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

khalessi wrote: »
    Luke O Neill did a webinar on Covid and the classroom this evening via TCD, it was recorded and should be put up on the site.

The same Luke O Neill back in August who proclaimed that kids don't get corona virus from schools that they got it from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Watched that documentary tonight. The deputy or principal who was going around trying to separate students in the yard and inside with a metre stick was embarrassing. Fair enough, he's right but there's no way he's at that every day. All optics. Came across as a terrible camera stunt.

There no social distancing in schools. It doesn't exist. Inside or outside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement