Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Treppen wrote: »
    If teachers kids are not in school then that's half my colleagues out.

Would they not have to do what fhe rest of the working population do and get a minder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Honestly if they close both primary and secondary then I think they’ve been deliberately fudging the numbers in relation to schools and contact tracing. Under tens don’t spread it as rapidly and benefit most from school.

Closing the secondary schools and moving to online learning there is more realistic. Blanket closing the younger age groups must mean schools are contributing to the spread. There is no other reason for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I agree, from the scant numbers I see on schools, I get the impression that the primary schools seem to be fairly clearly not causing transmission, but we are getting away by the skin of our teeth with secondary schools, and there will probably be more internal transmission in them sooner or later.The breakdown of ages and case numbers would support that too, something like 60% of all cases lately are in the 15-24 and 24 - 30 something age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It makes no sense to me to have a blanket close on all schools anyway. There are plenty of schools with no cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

No sense at all.

If community cases continue to climb the school rates will follow, theres no avoiding it. I dont think that it means schools are more dangerous than anywhere else, not everyone gets it at a house party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

shesty wrote: »
    I read an article there yesterday that said Dept guidelines now say teachers should teach from the classroom if schools go online. I think someone pasted it into a previous post, but I will see if I can find it.

That’s utter rubbish if true, if the students are not in the building why should we be there ? Let’s hope if the extra week happens that it’s just that, one extra week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Rosita

jrosen wrote: »
    It makes no sense to me to have a blanket close on all schools anyway. There are plenty of schools with no cases.

I'm sure there were plenty of pubs and restaurants who'd claim the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

solerina wrote: »
    That’s utter rubbish if true, if the students are not in the building why should we be there ? Let’s hope if the extra week happens that it’s just that, one extra week !!

Here is the article in question.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/department-of-education-warns-primary-schools-to-have-contingency-plans-in-the-event-of-covid-19-related-closure-39602717.html

It does seem to specifically related to primary schools, but from it, it seems that guidance has already been issued to secondary schools???Sorry I don't know the details of the guidance documents.

Id imagine to ensure teachers are actually teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cell1e wrote: »
    I work better from home, my pc is better, my internet is way better. The only problem is having to use my own phone to contact parents. Its much more expensive for the school to pay my phone bills as some of my parents wont or cant use free services like whatsap.

Nearly every mobile plan has all free calls and texts. even 48.ie only costs 8 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Rosita

Id imagine to ensure teachers are actually teaching.

Not at all. It's about control pure and simple. Same as Croke Park hours. Nothing to do with productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Are covid cases being kept from teachers in schools by management??

Was speaking to a student today and when I pointed out there were many absentees along the corridors he said a good few are out with the virus. Began naming off students who have been out for many days, parents and siblings had it, etc. I don't know whether to believe this guy but he's fairly mature to be honest.

We haven't been told anything by management and I refuse to believe there hasn't been case in the school.

1000 odd students BTW.

Was speaking to a student today and when I pointed out there were many absentees along the corridors he said a good few are out with the virus. Began naming off students who have been out for many days, parents and siblings had it, etc. I don't know whether to believe this guy but he's fairly mature to be honest.

We haven't been told anything by management and I refuse to believe there hasn't been case in the school.

1000 odd students BTW.

Id find it hard to believe tbh. Even if the school/dept were keeping it quite someone would have blabbed by now. Nothing is private these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Id find it hard to believe tbh. Even if the school/dept were keeping it quite someone would have blabbed by now. Nothing is private these days

I think you find some one did blab - the student in question.

Management are requested to maintain confidentiality - some are keeping to that others are informing parents / school staff

There are no cases in our school that I am aware of can I be certain this is the case absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

1000 odd students BTW.

Seems to be very much the case at second level, teachers not being informed at all.

Primary seems to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cell1e

Nearly every mobile plan has all free calls and texts. even 48.ie only costs 8 Euro.

Im on 087 pay as you go, I only use my phone to call my husband as he is also 087. With that I get free calls and texts to other 087 numbers. But its expensive to call any other networks.

In relation to Levels 4 and 5 I have to say I'm of the mind that if and when citizens are told to 'work from home if they can' in the case of Level 4 or 5 then I want to be able to work from home too. Teachers are not front line workers and should not be expected to be such. Especially teachers in the high risk categories or with vulnerable loved ones.

Teachers should be given the same rights and dignities that any other worker is given. We can work from home and we should. A pandemic is a once in a lifetime emergency and all consideration should be given to keeping the whole population safe whatever it takes. My opinion is the HSE is downplaying the figures regarding covid flares in schools to avoid creating anxiety in parents and children regarding going to school. They certainly have shown a lack of care and consideration towards the health and welfare of teachers in schools.

I think teachers should stand together on this and not be pushed or 'guilted' into letting ourselves continue in unsafe working conditions. No one is safe in a school or office or any public space at the moment. Covid isn't bought off with extra PPE and the risks are only growing in our schools and will contnue to grow in our schools. Fancy a game of russian roulette?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

meeeeh wrote: »
    How do other people manage who can't work from home?

Newsflash my local childminders/ crèche employees were all working through the lockdown minding kids for people. That's what complete lockdown does and as long as you don't advertise it, it's grand and we can all pretend rules are obeyed.

I'm mentioning that half my colleagues will be out in response to the suggestion of teachers having to go into school to teach remotely

"work from home if they can" is key here.
    Right now employees should work from home but we still have thousands of people at work because they can not do their job either at all from home or adequately from home.

Teachers are no different. What many students received pre Summer did not remotely resemble an acceptable level of education. Unless something has drastically changed since then how are we suppose to think this time round will be any different?

I accept there are failings from the dept but to imply teachers could work from home like any other profession isn't realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Would they not have to do what fhe rest of the working population do and get a minder ?

Some of us cant afford a minder

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cell1e

Right now employees should work from home but we still have thousands of people at work because they can not do their job either at all from home or adequately from home.

Teachers are no different. What many students received pre Summer did not remotely resemble an acceptable level of education. Unless something has drastically changed since then how are we suppose to think this time round will be any different?

I accept there are failings from the dept but to imply teachers could work from home like any other profession isn't realistic.

Did we have time to prepare our students and parents for this last March? Did we have time to prepare ourselves for this?

No- but we have had time since and before September. I know everyone in my school has been working hard to up-skill andprepare their students (and parents) for this eventuality.

My students are ready willing and able to do what they need to if the worst happens. Of course it isnt going to be as good as being in school, nothing will ever be that good but with the wonderful teachers we have in Ireland and a bit of creativity we can work work from home and give the students a better experience than last time.

No one can expect perfection from any sector of society at this time, how many times have I been kept waiting on calls to companies who are working from home, less than ideal customer service from deliveries through to banking to online shopping to even our GP'S who work from home or remotely.

However I would never expect those people to sacrifice themselves so I can have the best deliveries , shopping or any other experience.

All we can do is be patient, kind and supportive to each other and expecting and allowing our teachers to be put at risk is none of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

We had literally no notice last time around whereas most schools I would assume are working hard making sure that if we do have to close that students will be taught well. In my school we've had lots of training sessions and have all tried live streaming at this stage. I would be confident that we'd do a decent job of remote teaching.

Saying that.. I hated working from home so am happy out as long as I can stay in school.

What has changed since the last time? There has been no framework, no training, no guidance. The dept according to many who post here has been silent on a hybrid/remote learning. They have basically kicked the problem back to schools.

We all know some schools have feck all IT support, or even access to laptops. How are they going to deliver? Id hazard a guess they cant. What happens to those students?

What happens with JC or LC?

I hope im wrong btw, I have a JC kid myself so i really hope im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

If a teacher is unable or unwilling to engage with remote teaching then being physically present in the school building isn’t going to make one bit of difference.
    I know what I did during the March-June period was my best efforts and would not have been any better if I had been in the school building rather than at home.
    If the students are not in the building I don’t see why the teachers should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Im in no way paranoid, but anyone else feel information about school infections or clusters is actively suppressed?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

If a teacher is unable or unwilling to engage with remote teaching then being physically present in the school building isn’t going to make one bit of difference.
    I know what I did during the March-June period was my best efforts and would not have been any better if I had been in the school building rather than at home.
    If the students are not in the building I don’t see why the teachers should be.

I engaged with remote teaching to best of my ability also during March - June however I could certainly have reached out more to students had I had better access to internet and a quieter working environment. Being in the school building would also suit my mental health more as I found it extremely difficult to motivate myself while at home. I lacked energy and enthusiasm. So it would make a HUGE difference to me to be in the workplace.

The option to go to school building should at least be there for those who need it to work from.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Im in no way paranoid, but anyone else feel information about school infections or clusters is actively suppressed?

it would be impossible to suppress it so no I don't feel that

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Balagan1

Without a doubt, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Yes it is an absolute disgrace what is going on under the radar or trying to happen under the radar.

I already posted about what happened in a school known to me where 3 siblings attending the same school all tested positive but because sibling 2 and 3 didn't show symptoms at school, it wasn't counted as a.cluster!!

I think GDPR is being used as a cover up tool.

I do not in any way endorse people being singled out who have been tested positive but there should be more transparency as the rumours are worse from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The fact that they actively will not accept that school can be one of the many sectors driving the rise in numbers along with the rise in numbers in certain ages groups would lead me to say yes they are playing with the numbers.

They are trying to portray schools in a more flattering light, as they could not afford the backlash if they were proved to be wrong about the reopening of schools.

• Advertisement

Yes it is an absolute disgrace what is going on under the radar or trying to happen under the radar.

I already posted about what happened in a school known to me where 3 siblings attending the same school all tested positive but because sibling 2 and 3 didn't show symptoms at school, it wasn't counted as a.cluster!!

I think GDPR is being used as a cover up tool.

I do not in any way endorse people being singled out who have been tested positive but there should be more transparency as the rumours are worse from what I have seen.

I think the cluster would be the household, in that case, and not the school.
    If they then went on to spread it to others within the school it would then be a cluster.As I understand it.
    However a bit more information on numbers in schools wouldn't go amiss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement