Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is it true that his wife is a primary teacher?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

So how is the situation looking in schools so far this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So how is the situation looking in schools so far this week?

Fair few out for testing.

Seen on that FB voice for teachers a school principal telling staff to turn off the Covid app as it's 'over sensitive'. What a load of BS.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Seen on that FB voice for teachers a school principal telling staff to turn off the Covid app as it's 'over sensitive'. What a load of BS.

Imagine if a boss in a meat plant pulled that one now.
    He'd be lambasted on tbe joe duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

Obviously a case in our school. Principal has contact from contact tracers but will admit no more.

Along the lines of what someone else said - imagine any other place of employment getting away with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rosita wrote: »
    Obviously a case in our school. Principal has contact from contact tracers but will admit no more.

Along the lines of what someone else said - imagine any other place of employment getting away with that!

Assuming that's secondary.

How do you know they were in contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

Assuming that's secondary.

How do you know they were in contact?

Because the Principal said it. But didn't elaborate. Can't imagine any other reason for them to be in contact. And yes, Secondary.

Teachers should be informed, no ifs, buts or maybes. Total lack of respect.

Our principal has said that they will always tell us. So far parents themselves have told me when kids have gone for tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have a lot of students at home that we’ve been told to cater for but no confirmed cases I know of. Tbh though I don’t think we would be told unless the HSE specifically called us a contact. Very by the book school

Neighbour here is a secondary teacher. Found out about a case in one of their classes from the cleaner. That is just wrong.

• Advertisement

Neighbour here is a secondary teacher. Found out about a case in one of their classes from the cleaner. That is just wrong.

Yeah I’m back to school next week and my asthma is far worse than it has been in recent years so I’m correspondingly more nervous now. I’m sort of resigning myself that I’m going to get it and we will have to deal with the consequences for me and my family if any. Taking my inhalers and vitamin d and keeping my own contacts as low as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

We were informed by text on Friday night there's a confirmed case in our "school community". Since then we haven't been told if that's a pupil, member of staff, close relative of someone etc. etc.

Lack of info/clarity doesn't help anyone.

We were informed by text on Friday night there's a confirmed case in our "school community". Since then we haven't been told if that's a pupil, member of staff, close relative of someone etc. etc.

Lack of info/clarity doesn't help anyone.

School community in this instance is student or staff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Depending on who you ask , I’m very high risk / high risk or good auld Medmark, moderate risk . I’ve been out on Covid leave already ( thankfully , not confirmed) My principal couldn’t tell my colleagues I was awaiting a test and/or result so I ensured to text colleagues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I've seen a message from my old principal stating the same to my former colleagues. They're refusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

How have they not brought the likes of that to media's attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ten year old confirmed positive case in nearby school over the weekend. Parents of all kids informed in the class Sunday evening. All class tested Monday. Relatively quick results. Haven't heard of another positive in the class. Class due to be tested again Thursday and remain at home all of next week either way. HSE gave clear.advice to parents. School didnt inform other parents etc
    Seems by the book. Hopefully the child recovers well and there's no spread within the class.

So, possible Level 5 incoming but we remain in the classroom.
    Wonder will we get any extra procedures or measures?

Screen_Shot_2018-03-30_at_11.34.27_AM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It would seem a bit strange if everybody but teachers and kids told to go to school? On what basis could they justify that from a health and safety point of View?
    I would expect union intervention. A new Asti ballot
    I actually don't expect a rapid move to level 5 . I'm not sure how our rates look vis a via our EU neighbors ?
    I'm not in anyway saying schools should shut down again but Im finding it hard to see why my workplace should be totally different??

This is what I'm struggling with. God knows I don't want to work from home again, it was a complete nightmare doing full timetable remotely (we are a 1:1 school) but compared to most areas of society Classrooms are just not safe at the numbers in them. The ratio of adult to child is very high, pods and bubbles just don't cut it

I'd find it really hard to see how they couldn't end up sued if someone caught it in level 5. We'd have no social contacts whatsoever, the transmission would be in school and there would be no question about where the source was?

• Advertisement

This is what I'm struggling with. God knows I don't want to work from home again, it was a complete nightmare doing full timetable remotely (we are a 1:1 school) but compared to most areas of society Classrooms are just not safe at the numbers in them. The ratio of adult to child is very high, pods and bubbles just don't cut it

I'd find it really hard to see how they couldn't end up sued if someone caught it in level 5. We'd have no social contacts whatsoever, the transmission would be in school and there would be no question about where the source was?

I tend to agree with you. No other EU nation has closed schools again. How are we doing in comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you. No other EU nation has closed schools again. How are we doing in comparison!

How do our class sizes, classroom sizes, and hospital bed capacity measure up in comparison though? Unfortunately Ireland is worse off on all counts, so escalation of measures at a lower threshold is logical. Direct comparison must be adjusted for our poor conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cell1e

Agreed Bobtheman, teachers workplaces shouldn't be any different and I personally do think schools should shut again when the time is right to protect everyone including teachers. School is my workplace and I have been upskilling and preparing my class to be able to work from home if and when things get bad. In my county things are very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I'd prefer to stay in school and work. However I would appreciate if we weren't treated like unwanted dogs if this goes ahead and there's no changes to the approach made.

Let's pause a breath. I cant see an immediate move to level 5. There will be a delay.
    Asti SC must first and work out a strategy.
    There should be a compromise.
    Perhaps schools shut for part of the four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Let's pause a breath. I cant see an immediate move to level 5. There will be a delay.
    Asti SC must first and work out a strategy.
    There should be a compromise.
    Perhaps schools shut for part of the four weeks.

I was thinking over the weekend, that we would get to the week before midterm and then schools would close. Given a week of online and then into the midterm.

So, we're avoiding level 5 for the minute.
    That's a relief I suppose!

So, we're avoiding level 5 for the minute.
    That's a relief I suppose!

Playing for time is what I'm getting from Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I suppose the logic is that if the schools close again, God knows when they'll reopen. If everyone's wearing a mask and students wipe down their desks after class, shouldn't the teachers be adequately protected?

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I suppose the logic is that if the schools close again, God knows when they'll reopen. If everyone's wearing a mask and students wipe down their desks after class, shouldn't the teachers be adequately protected?

Then why can't the same happen in every workplace in Ireland under level 5? If what you say would take care of covid?
    Personally I don't think it's that simple. I really don't think you do either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement