Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The English patient.

Are you Eaine Benes?

For me, Inception. Wouldnt call it ****e, and it looked good, but it was just a lot of best bits of sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

The Shawshank Redemption

A successful banker that is wrongly jailed? Hilarious.

The Warden and the Guards entrusting an inmate with their financial affairs? Even funnier

Rich well to do banker befriending benevolent black murderer in prison, inviting him to join him in Mexico if he ever gets out? In 1947 America?

It's a liberal wet dream that's totally divorced from reality. Unsurprisingly written by Stephen King, who has a severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

If the film addressed racism, you'd probably say it was too "woke".

Anyway, that character wasn't black in the original story. He was called Red because of his red hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Birdman. Utter toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Watched Gladiator for the first time ever last week. Mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Every star wars movie
    Ladybird
    Avengers movies
    Black Swan
    Almost every woody allen movie especially manhattan
    Patton
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    The Expendables
    Paranormal Activity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, apart from the scenes with Gollem
    Lord of the Rings is pretty good.
    Sam Neill should have been Elrond and Arwen should have been thinner, blonder and more elf like.

Hollywood could have totally ruined it. Like they did with the Hobbit films. On the internets there is an edit which removes the stuff that wasn't in the book. And there's lots of padding in those films.

On a similar note the best order to watch the Star Wars films is in Machete Order
    First, let me say this: for people that couldn’t care less about the prequel trilogy, I suggest Harmy’s Despecialized Editions.
    If the “proper order” for Star Wars for you is the original trilogy and nothing else, stop reading now and find the Despecialized Editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Denny61

Dunkirk

Absolute rubbish.

I agree .absolute tripe ...most of the movie..you just see soldiers standing around .as if waiting for their dinner .in fact at times I thought my sky box had gone in to pause all of its own...there.was so little happening...and when a certain singer from the band one direction in it...sadly says enough....utterly pathetic movie

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

Is there a better version of it, like a directors cut where the timeline isn’t all over the place? I liked it but the whole timeline changing thing is annoying as fcuk!!

maybe Nolan will make a cut in chronological order for the DVD like they did with Memento. Im old. Remind me. Do they still make dvds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Reading some of the replies here.....

thumb_you-just-made-an-enemy-for-life-groundskeeper-willie-episode-52461944.png

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I will go way back! The Breakfast Club, St.Elmo's Fire, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science. How many of you had to Google those titles?lol

• Advertisement

Some of you people are a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!

:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Shawshank Redemption. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film - definitely worth seeing. But how it tops everyone's "Best Movie Ever" list is beyond me, so definitely counts as overrated.

Star Wars - first three movies, only ones I saw, but mostly mildly entertaining at best.

First two Godfathers - I didn't see the third.

Interstellar - which breaks my heart to say because I've loved every Christopher Nolan up to then, but that really didn't do it for me. Dunkirk was pretty good, but confusing. I don't mean the different timelines confusing, but just all the soldiers looked the same to me so I'd no idea who was who for the majority of the running time.

Pretty much 90% of films that won the Oscar for Best Film. If you want to see the actual best films of the year, the Best Screenplay categories usually are a better indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I will go way back! The Breakfast Club, St.Elmo's Fire, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science. How many of you had to Google those titles?lol
    Kelly lebrock in weird science! Oh yeah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Hellbound Hellraiser 2. What crap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Hellbound Hellraiser 2. What crap.

Oh yeah, that highly acclaimed film!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that highly acclaimed film!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

All the Van Damme films. Every single one!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gmisk wrote: »
    I actually thought rogue one was very good.

Agree, it's the only one of the modern SW films I have any grá for.

Very much a WW2 movie in the mould of The Eagle has Landed, Where Eagles Dare or Guns of Navarone.

A hopeless mission accomplished at huge cost.
    It's the ultimate fan service, and the ending of the movie coinciding with Vader.
    It's very underrated if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Over-rated? Compared to what?

They were quintessential 80s movies thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining back in their day.
    I think we need to distinguish between over-rated and "of their time" \ haven't aged well.
    No one is claiming they are classics for all time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Sacrilege! Can't beat a good bit of JCVD.

Awol, one of his finest films, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Get out ta ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Joker is painfully, painfully overrated. Not a bad film as such, but highly derivative of other superior films. People claiming that it's a vital piece of meaningful art need to watch more movies; if you've never swum in the ocean, then a swimming pool can feel deep.

The Hangover is a load of crap.

Most Christopher Nolan films are good, but are extremely overrated by a cohort of fans.

Marvel movies are overrated. They can have their moments, but there is a definite formulaic sameyness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Found Groundhog Day quite repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lost in translation

Couldn’t understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The correct answer that the thread is looking for is Avatar (I hated that film)...

Now Close this thread....too many great films are being sullied...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The correct answer that the thread is looking for is Avatar....

Close the thread....too many great films are being sullied...

A poor fern gully remake, populated by giant smurfs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

gmisk wrote: »
    The last jedi was a lot of fun don't really understand the hate it got especially from fans.

Nobody hates Star Wars more than modern Star Wars fans. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

they aren't overrated though ;)

JCVD is like Schrödinger's cat.

It's simultaneously the most Jean-Claude Van Damme film ever made AND the least Jean-Claude Van Damme film ever made.

And you won't know till you watch it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What have you got against John Hughes??!!!

I'm a Star Wars fan, but I'll be the first to admit that none of the films would trouble Citizen Kane or The Godfather in the most highly rated stakes. But I think the point that a lot of people miss about the original trilogy, and in particular the very first film, is that there was nothing like it when it came out. Before then most science fiction films were low budget with dodgy effects. Star Wars raised the game significantly, even if those effects look pretty dated now. I was 10 when I saw it in the cinema and I had never seen anything like it before, and neither had anyone else. It then spawned a culture that is commonplace nowadays, but before then there were no movie superfans, no merchandise and no movie franchises. This is why the film is held in such high regard by people of my generation, not because of the script or the acting, we all know they're average at best, but simply because it was so different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

The last few Marvel movies. FFS. let it die. I was big into marvel comics as a kid (had my own box at the comic shop for new editions) but ended my collection literally after I discovered it was more fun spending my money on girls (seriously, my collection abruptly stopped after my first date as a teen). It was great reliving my youth when a few films like spider-man, ironman, etc came out but holy crap, let it die. The last few like the two-part Avengers movies were tiresome. I'm not even sure how they ended despite watching them. Also, the amount of grown men and women going all fanboy over these creeps me out. There are literally guys in their 40s wearing comic book characters designed for children on their shirts. Also, I think some of this is a bit phoney as I see guys I grew up with getting on with it and damn well know they weren't into it as a kid. Also, someone going all fanboy on marvel and DC because they are all comic book heroes? Never happened. It would be like someone saying they are huge football fans and then expressing how much they always loved two rivalling teams. As a kid who spent more time playing D&D or TMNT role-playing games and reading comics than playing sports I can tell you die-hard Marvel and DC fans mixed about as much as die-hard Star Wars and Star Trek fans did. Weirdly being a nerd (or at least pretending you were one) has become cool now. Personally it just creeps me out and I wish Hollywood would just move on to some other trend. What happened to that monster movie reboot that was suppose to happen? Did Cruise kill it with the mummy?

Advertisement