Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    same here

the liberal politics is the worst part

It's a while since I have seen it but I don't remember the liberal politics...

Crash and joker would be the two that spring to mind. Oh and the post...Streep is terrible in if literally chewing the scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Inception and Mad Max Fury Road.

agree on the former

theme is great though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

joeguevara wrote: »
    Never knew that there was a 1966 movie but the series with adam west was one of my favourites as a young kid. Blew my mind last night while watching rocky three, when my mate said, buster Meredith who plays mickey was the penguin in the series.

They used the submarine set from Voyage to the bottom of the sea painted pychedilic colours

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No one wearing a cape has ever saved the day, so grow up.

Zorro? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have seen both, Star Wars didn't have Summer Glau
    or Gina Torres or Morena Baccarin or Jewel Staite or Christina Hendricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Star Wars (all of them)
    Bond Movies (all of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Smacruairi wrote: »
    ....La La Land, The Hurt locker, Birdman, The Big Lebowski.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,916 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gorteen wrote: »
    Star Wars (all of them)
    Bond Movies (all of them)

For Your Eyes Only is over-rated?

Throwing a flag on this play...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't know how they can be proud of that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

glasso wrote: »
    that summarises the problem with them perfectly!

if people only knew that the infection would spread so much it could possibly have been killed off early.

I think the opposite. The first two Blade films are pretty dark, breathtakingly violent and gritty in tone but have just about the right amount of humor too to lighten the mood.

Marvel films are basically days out for the family now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Get Out is the most overrated film of the last ten years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Archeron wrote: »
    Titanic. It was sooooo fcuking long. The only redeeming feature of that film was the dude bouncing off the propellor when the ship was sinking.
    A Night To Remember is the best Titanic film, though I haven't seen the German one yet.

Titanic is yet another film where they put modern characters in a historic setting it's so wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

The Matrix, and all of the sequels

The Thirteenth Floor had better style and aged better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A Night To Remember is the best Titanic film, though I haven't seen the German one yet.

Titanic is yet another film where they put modern characters in a historic setting it's so wrong !

Er... the one Goebbels sanctioned?

Is a very good film,
    I'll wait a while before I watch Infernal Affairs.

It's unreal that for certain genres how many good US films are just remakes or copies of better foreign ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Citizen Kane,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Brooklyn - a tedious, manicured story where all the cars are clean & everyone is impeccably dressed. Its a "nice" story but lacks anything in any way remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Lost in translation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Loved adam west as batman.

Burgess meredith as the joker used to terrify me.

Most overrated imo - anything with meryl Streep, al pacino, robert de niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Fifty Shades of Grey.
    Fifty Shades Darker.
    Fifty Shades Freed.

All terrible movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

All the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, apart from the scenes with Gollem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Gorteen wrote: »
    Star Wars (all of them)

On Star Wars they are kids films that adults seem to be infatuated with due to the good memories of the films & toys from their youth (so they must be doing something right). People get upset when a new Star Wars film is made and does not live up to the memory created of ones they saw in their youth. IMO they can now (as adults) appreciate the shallowness of the plots, the cardboardy characters, hammy acting and flowery screen-writing!
    Or perhaps changing culture vs their youth being reflected rubs them up the wrong way. It is not for them (us) any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Donnie Darko - load of bollix

Er... the one Goebbels sanctioned?
    Have you seen the 1943 Münchhausen ?

It's epic.

And that's before you realise they had black actors in 1943 Berlin when the RAF and the USAAF were trying night and day to wipe the city off the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

1917 and Dunkirk spring to mind for me. Neither what I'd call a bad movie obviously, but found both over-rated for different reasons.

Dunkirk just didn't gel with me or instill that sense of dread/discomfort that other people speak about. I get what Nolan was doing, just didn't resonate with me.

1917 looked good but was just plain daft from a plot POV with constant ridiculous conveniences.

Another one is Black Panther. Again, not bad, but it's for sure far closer to the bottom of the Marvel pile than the top. Very generic movie even as comic book movies go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Inception, Dunkirk, 1917, Any new Star Wars Movie.

Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't know how they can be proud of that film.
    In fairness production was a mess on that film (Singer seemed to be a train wreck) they had to get dexter fletcher to do a load of reshoots. But even before that a tonne of people seemed to drop out of lead role Sacha Baron Cohen, Ben Whishaw I think? The editing was a mess the fact it won an oscar for it is a disgrace.
    Critical reviews were also not great.

The things it had going for it were the music and even more so Rami Malek who was brilliant I thought.

Psychlops wrote: »
    Inception, Dunkirk, 1917, Any new Star Wars Movie.
    I actually thought rogue one was very good.
    The last jedi was a lot of fun don't really understand the hate it got especially from fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The last Mad Max.
    A big ball of shîte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There will be Blood was an awful film which could have been incredible. For me, the pacing was so off it destroyed the film

Advertisement