Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I know I’m going to p1ss off a lot of horror and Stephen king fans when I describe IT as a bunch of unpopular kids having s3x with each other before they kill a starving homeless clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

joeguevara wrote: »
    Never understood why people rant and rave about Harry Potter.

Because the books are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,874 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Feisar wrote: »
    Something should only be judged of its time though.

To a point that is true, loads of films have actually aged well though, had quality production, props, sets etc... jaws rather being a victim of its time is a victim of not being done very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Emmm, sorry, you left out the 1%.

Not sure if counts as a movie but I thought the Umbrella Academy was a refreshing take on the genre. Mainly because it wasn't about superheroes. Sadly they seemed to have "corrected" that with season 2.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Because the books are amazing

Only one I read was Prisoner of Azkaban. Am I right in thinking it’s about an orphan boy who hangs around with a mass murderer while a rat plots his death. Yeah, fcucking amazing. Steinbeck missed a trick there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

odyssey06 wrote: »

No Way Out I think was under-rated if anything.

No Way Out had the best twist I've seen in any film. Genuinely never saw it coming. The Usual Suspects is always the film mentioned in that regard, but I'd half guessed the twist in that, so I wasn't that surprised.

On the Shawshank Redemption, the big question is, how did he get the picture back on the wall ?

Big fan of Irving Welsh and as a 17 year old was counting down the days until Trainspotting came to the cinema. What a disappointment. Can only be described as a heroin addict falls into a public toilet before watching a baby die as his best mate sh1ts in his girlfriends bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem with watching back Jaws is now how fûcking pure dated and unrealistic the models of the sharks actually are... both how they look and how they move... the original in particular the shark looks like something that could be hanging up outside a seafood restaurant as a comedy prop. All those Jaws movies just dated terribly. The acting in the action scenes is hammy and crap, almost comedically bad ... yeah not dated well.

Sigh

Candie wrote: »
    I have never sat through a Star Wars/Trek movie. I have never sat through a Superhero type movie. I don't understand why people love them.

Because people love great stories

Not sure if counts as a movie but I thought the Umbrella Academy was a refreshing take on the genre. Mainly because it wasn't about superheroes. Sadly they seemed to have "corrected" that with season 2.

If you want a refreshing take on the superhero genre the boys on Amazon is superb, in a nutshell imagine if Batman and superman killed innocent people and social media covered up these crimes, how would normal human beings get justice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

The Bridge on the River Kwai.
    I found Alec Guinness incredibly irritating. Don't understand why it always seems to feature so prominently in top 50 or top 100 movies lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Big fan of Irving Welsh and as a 17 year old was counting down the days until Trainspotting came to the cinema. What a disappointment. Can only be described as a heroin addict falls into a public toilet before watching a baby die as his best mate sh1ts in his girlfriends bed.

Scarface, good will hunting, and now trainspotting.

Can we change the thread title to, “My taste regarding films is dishwater, and heres proof”??

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Coming to america was about two black lads working in McDonald’s because they want to sleep with a cheating 5lut.

Coming to America is one of my favourites, bit harsh on Lisa McDowell character, especially as she was engaged to Darryl who was a sexist pig and sprayed Soul Glo all over his head.

I always thought Jerry Maguire was completely overrated. I remember being bored watching it.

Notting Hill and Love Actually were completely overhyped at the time of their release and not funny at all. I thought Four Weddings was far more enjoyable, brilliant subtle humour and is worth a rewatch.

begbysback wrote: »
    Scarface, good will hunting, and now trainspotting.

Can we change the thread title to, “My taste regarding films is dishwater, and heres proof”??

Or maybe, ‘didn’t realise that some posts were pulling the p1ss and described classic films in the worst way possible’. Any thread that says Godfather two is overrated cannot be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are very overrated and I’m a De Niro fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,874 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sigh

Sigh all you want, look at the majority of the action scenes and my point stands...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The Bridge on the River Kwai.
    I found Alec Guinness incredibly irritating. Don't understand why it always seems to feature so prominently in top 50 or top 100 movies lists.

Was that not the essential aspect of the character ?

1917 was not great

Dunkirk was one of the best WW2 movies ever made

What actually happened in the movie? Other than a **** load of people standing on a beach waiting for their turn on the pedalo?

Oh and a reformed robber playing his now famous emotionless teenager that barely speaks role.

Only one I read was Prisoner of Azkaban. Am I right in thinking it’s about an orphan boy who hangs around with a mass murderer while a rat plots his death. Yeah, fcucking amazing. Steinbeck missed a trick there.

That's like saying the Matrix is about people who like to wear black and jump arond a lot, i.e ignores the great bits. HP is about a boy who grows up been hated by everyone he lives with, has no friends and has been told lies about how his parents died and when he learns the truth he learns the person who everyone is scared off will one day return to kill him.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are very overrated and I’m a De Niro fan.

Taxi driver was muck.

Throw in apocalypse now and deer hunter while you're at it.

A trilogy of ultimately meandering and pointless movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Or maybe, ‘didn’t realise that some posts were pulling the p1ss and described classic films in the worst way possible’. Any thread that says Godfather two is overrated cannot be taken seriously.

Ok you’re off the hook, but warning to the others, your card is marked.

Strumms wrote: »
    Sigh all you want, look at the majority of the action scenes and my point stands...

Not really. Shark is ok. Better than your average cgi version.

And the fact that in a few of the scenes it's a real shark of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't believe it took so long (145 posts) for Star Wars to be mentioned, and I'm including the original trilogy in that. The middle trilogy is universally hated I believe anyway, and the recent trilogy was just, well, they looked good, that's about it. Emo Vader was not at all a good character. But the original trilogy, I appreciate it was a product of its time, and it set new standards, etc. But my god they are bad films. Terrible acting, terrible story, and imo did not age well (but still better in comparison to a lot of films).

And just to stoke the fire a bit more, don't understand why people liked Star Wars over Star Trek, the infinitely better franchise. :D

Also in my list of over-rated films, Donnie Darko, Bladerunner (the original, and sequel), A Clockwork Orange, and really most films that "critics" consider amazing. We have very different views, me and the critics. For example, Black Panther. In terms of MCU films, it's probably in the middle to lower middle of good MCU films, and only because it rode the woke wave did it win anything. There are far better MCU films than Black Panther, but it released at the right time with the right amount of black power that it made all the acclaim.

What actually happened in the movie? Other than a **** load of people standing on a beach waiting for their turn on the pedalo?

That was pretty much 95% of the film, every character in Dunkirk was weak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Apocalypse now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"of their time\havent aged well". rewatch anything with Burt Reynolds.

Deliverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ltd440

Zero dark thirty, first time I've actually stood up to walk out of a movie, but the person with me was convinced it would get better so we sat through its entiirety. Oh dear god

Deliverance.

Deliverance is the heartwarming story of tourists getting 4nally raped while a handicapped boy plays the banjo. 4 star.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deliverance is the heartwarming story of tourists getting 4nally raped while a handicapped boy plays the banjo. 4 star.

The Italian title is Un Tranquillo Weekend Di Paura. A Tranquil Weekend Of Fear.

Advertisement