Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Christopher Nolan-ites in general get on my tits, when is he going to come up with a gimick that doesnt involve gymnastics with time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,917 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Erranged wrote: »
    Jaws
    Biggest hype job ever

Intense experience... perhaps it hasn't aged well as it has been copied \ ripped off so many times.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

joeguevara wrote: »
    If we presume the top was and the poster was lifted to allow Andy get through the hole, no way could he attach the bottom to ensure its taut.

Your talking about a very small detail that only a film nerd would notice, Shawshank deserves it's reputation of best film ever made

Some films like Shawshank, Braveheart, Gladiator, Pulp fiction, terminator 2 and SW the empire strikes back are truly great films that only a few fruitcakes don't like.

Erranged wrote: »
    Jaws

Biggest hype job ever

We're going to need a bigger thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Intense experience... perhaps it hasn't aged well as it has been copied \ ripped off so many times.

I was poking fun at it slightly

They demonised the shark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Star Wars 1 to 9

The Revenant

Joker

Could never get Star Wars , watched the Mandolorian first few weeks of lockdown and it works as a western series more than a sci-fi series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The exorcist - about as scary as a man with trousers on his head

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The Batman movie from 1989.

People were having strokes about it back in the day.

Much ado about nothing.
    The 1966 film was much better.

Some Bat-deduction at it's finest.

Commissioner Gordon: It could be any one of them... But which one? Which ones?

Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...

Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a Penguin?

Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... See? C for Catwoman!

Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...

Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!

Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!

Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...

Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...

Robin: Holy nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Tried to watch Roma on Netflix and failed. Think I got about 1/2 way and didn't go back to it. It is very pretty as far as I remember, shots could be photographs in a coffee-table book etc. but was anything happening at all? Does anything ever happen?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could never get Star Wars , watched the Mandolorian first few weeks of lockdown and it works as a western series more than a sci-fi series
    Try Firefly series and then Serenity. I'm still surprised that TG4 hasn't shown it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Star Wars 1 to 9

In fairness Star wars is like marmite, I'm surprised your the first to mention it.

I was born in the late 70's and loved it as a child and still love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

Titanic. It was sooooo fcuking long. The only redeeming feature of that film was the dude bouncing off the propellor when the ship was sinking.

Try Firefly series and then Serenity. I'm still surprised that TG4 hasn't shown it.

Have seen both, Star Wars didn't have Summer Glau

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Departed

arrival

close encounters of the third kind

accopolypse now

the deer hunter

dances with wolves

any of those worthy movies eddy redmayne only seems to do

anything by martin mc donagh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Labyrinth. Absolute bollox. The fraggles in it were more convincing than Bowie.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The Departed

Is a very good film,

brilou23 wrote: »
    Arrival is worse film I have seen.

same here

the liberal politics is the worst part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The most recent one for me was Joker.

It really came across as a remake of Taxi Driver (which I found to only be an "alright" movie to begin with) with a twist of "Requiem for a Dream".

Making it a "comic book" character was just even weirder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Greyfox wrote: »

Ah now here. Don't get me started. You have to appreciate the era in which this movie came out. It may not scare todays audience but in it's day when horror was Dracula and Frankenstein this came out and scared people enough for ambulances to arrive in theaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

odyssey06 wrote: »
    UNLEASH HELL!

I saw a signature somewhere that quoted that speech and added a little extra:

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius...[etc]...and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next. Please leave your message after the tone."

:D

• Advertisement

Dumb And Dumber, awful pile of twaddle. Everything in had been done before and better.
    Get Out, great concept but so many plot holes.
    Gladiator, just awful. Be honest aside from Maximus's speech how much of it does anyone remember?

Gladiator is a movie i can endlessly watch

in my top ten movies , i accept its not viewed as a classic by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Not really into superheros.
    Nealy half of the films in the cinema the last few years has a ****in superhero in it.
    When I was at school only the geeks were into superheros.

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah now here. Don't get me started. You have to appreciate the era in which this movie came out. It may not scare todays audience but in it's day when horror was Dracula and Frankenstein this came out and scared people enough for ambulances to arrive in theaters.

It's only 2 years older than Carrie, the ambulances and fainting patrons were gimmicks employed by the promoters,

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

The Paranormal Activity series is really tedious dreck, and I say that as a fan of the genre. The concept isn't bad but it was poorly executed, no real tension and too many jump scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The 1966 film was much better.

Some Bat-deduction at it's finest.

Commissioner Gordon: It could be any one of them... But which one? Which ones?

Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...

Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a Penguin?

Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... See? C for Catwoman!

Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...

Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!

Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!

Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...

Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...

Robin: Holy nightmare!

Never knew that there was a 1966 movie but the series with adam west was one of my favourites as a young kid. Blew my mind last night while watching rocky three, when my mate said, buster Meredith who plays mickey was the penguin in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Not really into superheros.
    Nealy half of the films in the cinema the last few years has a ****in superhero in it.
    When I was at school only the geeks were into superheros.

The only Marvel comic series I ever enjoyed was "Dracula Lives!"

My three favourite films are Die hard, Aliens and a 70s film called CharleyVarrick with Walter Mattau.

My least favourite films are anything with Tom Cruise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It's only 2 years older than Carrie, the ambulances and fainting patrons were gimmicks employed by the promoters,

Yes but unlike horrors before it, it felt real and had the religious element (taken VERY seriously in those days).

Very hard to explain to anyone these days. In it's day it had a massive impact.

Greyfox wrote: »

ridicolous comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Inception and Mad Max Fury Road.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement