Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

valoren wrote: »
    The beauty of Jaws is that you could watch it as a kid and the scenes with shark are the scary ones. When you watch it as an adult, knowing it's all make believe, then the Indianapolis speech is the scariest part.

It's a stone cold classic.

Some people posting Jaws and The Shawshank Redemption. Have very strange minds to think they are not great.

The Irishman felt was a bit of a let down. Got a massive pass for the actors involved and their age. Was crazy predictable and daft long.

Then some of the scenes with them young were silly looking. Like bad cgi back to on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Jaws is a superb film. The scariest parts for me are the many tense moments when you cant see the shark- just the sense that something big and terrifying is out there stalking people. Actually the scenes where you physically see the shark are not that scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Blue Velvet - is that the one with Denis Hopper sucking on a gas mask?
    Saw it recently as well, wasn't over impressed, but I'd say that when the film came it in the 1980s it probably seemed a bit more radical and refreshing than it does today?

Saw it when it in the cinema in 1987 , whole film had a strange quality to it, early scene with the ear lying on the ground sort of sets the tone,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Heredetary, absolute snoozefest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I thought "Get Out" was bland, reminded me of a 90's made for TV movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jaws is a superb film. The scariest parts for me are the many tense moments when you cant see the shark- just the sense that something big and terrifying is out there stalking people. Actually the scenes where you physically see the shark are not that scary.

This is the same reason the greatest ever action movie Predator could not and never will have a sequel that lives up to the original

Its the unknow of what is actually out there that makes it brilliant

The Fifth Element

Pan's Labyrinth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,986 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I dunno about that. Bruce can look fake in some shots. But each of these below are scary.

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

yea I guess the scenes above are well done but others look a bit daft to me now.
    But as i said earlier it is a brilliant movie where what's unseen scares the pants off you too, great directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Transformers seem overrrated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Snowpiercer.

5/10 movie, at best. Annoying characters and a lot of real world issues that don't make sense that are never addressed. It also sagged heavily at the midpoint and never really recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Princess Bride. Not a bad film but doesn't live up to its reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

A quick glance at this thread and it appears there was never a great movie made.

This thread proves that art is subjective, and if you're creator, stick to your vision. There will ALWAYS be people who won't like what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Smiles35 wrote: »
    It's the Robert Shaw talk about his ship getting sunk and ending up in shark infested waters. That's brilliant. I think it's right in the middle aswell. People philosophise about Jaws while thinking about politics .ect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Regis779 wrote: »
    Transformers seem overrrated

Danger of an electrical fire there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Watched the Deer hunter for the first time a few weeks ago

easily one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, incredibly badly pieced together, no explanation as to how they got captured, they are out hunting, the movie then switched to Vietnam for a short scene, then we immediately move to the most famous scene of the movie ( which while exhilarating is entirely fictional, zero records from any veterans of the viet cong having subjected prisoners to this )

the acting by Christopher Walken ( who I love as an actor most of the time) was utterly forgettable, how he won an Oscar beggars belief , his character has amnesia, can’t remember De Niro yet is able to send money to Steve who lost his legs ?

the wedding scene at the beginning went on forever and told us nothing interesting about the characters ( who are deeply uninteresting)

it does have beautiful cinematography in the hunting scenes but apparently this wasn’t even shot in Pennsylvania , all in all it’s a horribly bloated , disjointed , illogical and boring movie (with kitchen sink like acting a lot of the time)which is far and away the most over rated movie I’ve yet to see

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The Hurt Locker.

The first 20-25 minutes of it are incredible .Really tense and edge of your seat stuff, however the remainder of the film just repeats the same scenario explored in he first 20 minutes over and over again and it becomes very boring and repetitive and all the tension of the first 20 minutes is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Momento

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The title of this thread is

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Lots of people here quoting movies that are NOT overrated, but are just bad eg. Miami Vice.

Films already mentioned..

I would agree somewhat on the Deer Hunter. It's got pacing problems and the interminable Wedding scene.

Also agree on Birdman, it's just not great.

and Get out is completely overrated.

Now for films that are not mentioned yet (I think) and are very highly regarded but did nothing for me.

I thought Reservoir dogs was boring.

Also Hitchcock films, Vertigo and Rope were pretty awful. (I like Hitchcock in general, Pyscho is still brilliant)

Avatar has some pretty cool cgi, but acting and story are cack.

District 9... just not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Holy thread Resurrection batman.

Just reading through some of the replies and I think that people are viewing older movies through a modern lens.

A good example would be the exorcist. It had people running screaming from movie theaters. It's actually kind of bland now. The acting is still great and the plot is great, but we've seen it done so often since then that someone watching it for the first time now may think it's derivative because they've seen so many of the movies that were inspired by it.

• Advertisement

Birdman is the quintessential movie snobs idea of a good film , it’s absolutely awful self indulgent tripe , another awful movie that movie snobs loved was that thing where Michael Fassbender ( who I like as an actor) had a mask over his head the entire movie ( Frank )

i really liked Get Out and I’ve seen it several times

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I can certainly understand that view if you never saw his earlier movies that were very funny. The neurotic tone of his movies became dominant so can be irritating. Watch Zelig, Grab the Money and Run and Sleeper. Much more slapstick and funny. He was a good stand up comedian initially. Zelig is up there with This is Spinal Tap as the best mocumentery

The Exorcist is still superb on every level

an over rated horror is The Shining which is hammy , not scary, nicholsons performance has become a cliche and the character a meme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Apparently when "Silence of the Lambs" was in cinemas people were fainting and vomiting.

I'm not saying it's overrated though. I consider the GOAT.

Another slightly over rated movie and I like all of the actors in other movies

Withnails more of a cult classic rather than a classic of cinema. Some people really connect with it and love it.

It's unique and original. Funny with pathos. Apparently Superhans in Peep Show was inspired by Danny.

It's my favourite film.

I consider the scene of Lecter escaping and the end scene with the night vision the two greatest scenes in film history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭thomil

I'm going to catch significant flak for this, but for me, it's gotta be 2001: A Space Odyssey

Now, before you shove me out the nearest airlock, hear me out. The movie is visually stunning, creating some iconic images and sequences. and certainly thought-provoking.

Unfortunately, Stanley Kubrick forgets to tell a coherent or engaging story. I'd read Arthur C. Clarke's novel, and indeed his original short story "The Sentinel", which was the origin for the entire story, so I know the full story, but for anyone not as fond of Clarke's work, this is going to be an ungainly visual spectacle. I mean, the emotional heart of the story is an emotionless computer, for crying out loud!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

its a free country but I wouldn’t put it in Hopkins ten best performances

• Advertisement

Kubrick is adored by movie snobs , I never got the hype and that includes Space Odyssey

Advertisement