Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

murpho999 wrote: »
    The film was poorly received so it's not overrated.

Definitely overrated by all of the grannies (and wider audience in Ireland) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Can I ask what year did you first watch it and think this ?

Yes, for sure, if you saw it when it came out, before all the visual effects craze, the scare was fairly good. The good thing about Jaws is the acting. Dreyfus, Shaw and Scheider did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Can I ask what year did you first watch it and think this ?

2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 20,072 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its sh1te. IMO. :o

Street Fighter the movie is so much better.

Well, yeah but Street Fighter The Movie was better than most fighting movies. It was genuinely one of the best shyte movies ever. Has to be up there with the first Tremors movie with Kevin Bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Its sh1te. IMO. :o

Street Fighter the movie is so much better.

Ah, now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yes, for sure, if you saw it when it came out, before all the visual effects craze, the scare was fairly good. The good thing about Jaws is the acting. Dreyfus, Shaw and Scheider did a good job.

It's the Robert Shaw talk about his ship getting sunk and ending up in shark infested waters. That's brilliant. I think it's right in the middle aswell. People philosophise about Jaws while thinking about politics .ect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Rothko wrote: »
    Ah, now.

Look how can I argue with that. Ok its the best film ever made. You win this one. But i'll be back. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jaws - worst movie ive ever seen!

2ae144b9ae6ee8417826c1030d60fa13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Anything by Woody Allen

• Black Swan.

I hate to speak ill of anything related to Ms. Portman but it was an absolute snooze.

• Advertisement

Look how can I argue with that. Ok its the best film ever made. You win this one. But i'll be back. :mad:

Ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I hate to speak ill of anything related to Ms. Portman but it was an absolute snooze.
    If you are new to Star Wars you should watch them in Machete Order.

There's no need to watch Episode I

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well, yeah but Street Fighter The Movie was better than most fighting movies. It was genuinely one of the best shyte movies ever. Has to be up there with the first Tremors movie with Kevin Bacon
    It was rubbish. But Raul Julia totally steals the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,632 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

2 years ago

I thought you'd say something like that, when it first came out it was brilliant,

It's like seeing the first wheel now and saying look at that piece of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It was rubbish. But Raul Julia totally steals the show.

He should have won an oscar for his "for me it was a tuesday" bit. All of them, for scenery-chewing.

My contribution is la-la land. Formulaic, back-slapping sh1te

I thought you'd say something like that, when it first came out it was brilliant,

It's like seeing the first wheel now and saying look at that piece of crap

It's still a brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Has anybody mentioned "Withnail and I" yet?

Watched it for the first time about 3 year's ago - I certainly enjoyed it - I just don't see why anyone would rave about it so much?

Fritzbox wrote: »

Watched it for the first time about 3 year's ago - I certainly enjoyed it - I just don't see why anyone would rave about it so much?

There's not many (or any) films like it, so it tends to get a lot of kudos for that alone. But, it's endlessly quotable and the Hamlet soliloquy at the end is an excellent coda.

I spose it depends on when you came across it. I first saw it, before I'd heard anything about it. So, it struck me different. To me it was just a good, quirky, British movie with good performances, even with the dodgy improv.

If I'd had seen after years of build up, I may have been underwhelmed too.

Thing is, you'll probably return to it at some stage for a second go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its such a brilliant film, the writing is excellent, havnt ever seen a film like it.

'Don't Look Now'

A great opening, a great ending and in between, 100 minutes of tedium.

• Advertisement

Its such a brilliant film, the writing is excellent, havnt ever seen a film like it.

Dunno about "brilliant" - but it did have some good lines in it alright:

"Are you the farmer"
    "Of course he's a fücking farmer"

'Don't Look Now'

A great opening, a great ending and in between, 100 minutes of tedium.

All the experts say it's a classic - I own it on DVD, I liked it.

Another Nicholas Roeg film I would recommend is "Walkabout" - strangely hallucinogenic.

All the experts say it's a classic

Hence...overrated.
    - I own it on DVD, I liked it.

I ripped my mates Blu a couple of years ago. But I haven't bothered with a re-watch. Although, I have already seen it about three times.
    Another Nicholas Roeg film I would recommend is "Walkabout" - strangely hallucinogenic.

'Walkabout' is great. It's miles above 'Don't Look Now'.

I first saw 'Walkabout' one afternoon, while I was off sick from school. I hadn't a clue what I was watching and I don't think that the TV station really knew if it should be shown in an afternoon slot. But I knew I fancied Jenny Agutter.

But 'Walkabout', like 'Wake in Fright' is an odd movie. You watch it going what the hell is happening/going to happen next. 'Don't Look Now' is more I don't care what's happening.

Yeah, it's the dialogue that really makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's boys D'movie

And anything else with Brendan O Carroll

Seriously doubt anyone overrates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"Tenet" leaves me cold, for some reason. Likewise "Blue velvet".

"Chariots of fire" was another that left me unenthused about it.

Odhinn wrote: »
    "Tenet" leaves me cold, for some reason. Likewise "Blue velvet".

"Chariots of fire" was another that left me unenthused about it.

Blue Velvet - is that the one with Denis Hopper sucking on a gas mask?
    Saw it recently as well, wasn't over impressed, but I'd say that when the film came it in the 1980s it probably seemed a bit more radical and refreshing than it does today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

All superhero movies especially black panther and the Avengers movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There. I said it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saw highlander tonight:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The beauty of Jaws is that you could watch it as a kid and the scenes with shark are the scary ones. When you watch it as an adult, knowing it's all make believe, then the Indianapolis speech is the scariest part.

It's a stone cold classic.

Advertisement